• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

With all of the different religions, how can I know which one is correct?

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What are some Bible verses about faith?​

Bible verses about faith
ANSWER

Matthew 21:22
And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Romans 10:17
So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

Hebrews 11:1
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.

Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.

2 Corinthians 5:7
For we walk by faith, not by sight.

James 2:19
You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!

Luke 1:37
For nothing will be impossible with God.

1 Corinthians 2:5
That your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Mark 9:23
And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.”

James 2:24
You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.

Matthew 17:20
He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.”

Luke 17:5
The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!”

Galatians 2:20
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

2 Timothy 4:7
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

1 John 5:4
For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.

1 Corinthians 13:13
So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1 Corinthians 16:13
Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.

Unless otherwise noted, all Bible verses are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® Copyright© 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.

Special thanks to OpenBible.info for the data on the most well-known Bible verses.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The MacArthur Topical Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to Every Major Topic Found in the Bible

More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free!

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What are some Bible verses about faithfulness?​

Bible verses about faithfulness
ANSWER

Proverbs 28:20
A faithful man will abound with blessings, but whoever hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.

Luke 16:10-12
One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? And if you have not been faithful in that which is another's, who will give you that which is your own?

2 Corinthians 5:7
For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Hebrews 13:8
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Proverbs 3:3-4
Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart. So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man.

2 Timothy 2:13
If we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.

Luke 12:42-44
And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise manager, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions."

John 14:15
If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Psalm 89:33
But I will not remove from him my steadfast love or be false to my faithfulness.

Proverbs 3:3
Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart.

1 Corinthians 4:2
Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found trustworthy.

Proverbs 20:6
Many a man proclaims his own steadfast love, but a faithful man who can find?

Matthew 24:45-47
Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions.

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 31:23
Love the Lord, all you his saints! The Lord preserves the faithful but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.

Unless otherwise noted, all Bible verses are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® Copyright© 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers.

Special thanks to OpenBible.info for the data on the most well-known Bible verses.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The MacArthur Topical Bible: A Comprehensive Guide to Every Major Topic Found in the Bible

More insights from your Bible study - Get Started with Logos Bible Software for Free!

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible say about a sixth sense / third eye?​

sixth sense, third eye
audio

ANSWER

The movie entitled The Sixth Sense stirred up a renewed interest in the ability to see "dead people," and/or communicate with the spirit world. Television shows titled Medium and Ghost Whisperer continue the trend. Is it truly possible to see the spirits of dead people? Is there such a thing as a "sixth sense" or "third eye"?

A sixth sense can also be described as ESP, or extra-sensory perception. Extra-sensory perception is the means by which we acquire information through any sense other than the five basic senses (sight, smell, taste, touch, and hearing) or other well-documented scientific physiological senses. Depending on one’s culture and beliefs, a sixth sense can be attributed to anything from the spiritual to the technological.

Parapsychology addresses certain types of ESP—such as those possessed by psychics and mediums—including clairvoyance, telekinesis, and communication with the dead. The Bible makes it clear that these types of experiences should be avoided. We should not exercise any sort of spiritual abilities outside the realm of what the Bible deems acceptable, nor should we consult with anyone who does so.

If such a thing as a sixth sense or third eye truly exists, it is not of God. Those who claim to practice such abilities are either deceivers, self-deceived, and/or under the power of demonic forces. Leviticus 19:31 says, "Do not rely on mediums and psychics, for you will be defiled by them. I, the Lord, am your God." Consulting spiritists is foolish and angers the Lord (2 Chronicles 33:6). Acting as a medium or psychic was punishable by death in the Old Testament (Leviticus 20:27).

The Bible tells us that the Holy Spirit of God has been given to each of us who has received salvation through faith in Christ (Romans 8:9-11). This Spirit will be our guide and teacher of all truth (John 16:13). For Christians, all spiritual leading and communication should come from God, through prayer and revelation from His Word. The only “sixth sense" we need is the Holy Spirit; everything else is counterfeit. But if we allow the Spirit to fill and control us (Ephesians 5:18), we will not be led astray by deceiving spirits.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The Truth Behind Ghosts, Mediums, and Psychic Phenomena by Ron Rhodes

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible mean by “you are gods” / "ye are gods" in Psalm 82:6 and John 10:34?​

you are gods, ye are gods
audio

ANSWER

Let’s start with a look at Psalm 82, the psalm that Jesus quotes in John 10:34. The Hebrew word translated “gods” in Psalm 82:6 is Elohim. It usually refers to the one true God, but it does have other uses. Psalm 82:1 says, “God presides in the great assembly; he gives judgment among the gods.” It is clear from the next three verses that the word “gods” refers to magistrates, judges, and other people who hold positions of authority and rule. Calling a human magistrate a “god” indicates three things: 1) he has authority over other human beings, 2) the power he wields as a civil authority is to be feared, and 3) he derives his power and authority from God Himself, who is pictured as judging the whole earth in verse 8.

This use of the word “gods” to refer to humans is rare, but it is found elsewhere in the Old Testament. For example, when God sent Moses to Pharaoh, He said, “See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh” (Exodus 7:1). This simply means that Moses, as the messenger of God, was speaking God’s words and would therefore be God’s representative to the king. The Hebrew word Elohim is translated “judges” in Exodus 21:6 and 22:8, 9, and 28.

The whole point of Psalm 82 is that earthly judges must act with impartiality and true justice, because even judges must stand someday before the Judge. Verses 6 and 7 warn human magistrates that they, too, must be judged: “I said, `You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.' But you will die like mere men; you will fall like every other ruler.” This passage is saying that God has appointed men to positions of authority in which they are considered as gods among the people. They are to remember that, even though they are representing God in this world, they are mortal and must eventually give an account to God for how they used that authority.

Now, let’s look at how Jesus uses this passage. Jesus had just claimed to be the Son of God (John 10:25-30). The unbelieving Jews respond by charging Jesus with blasphemy, since He claimed to be God (verse 33). Jesus then quotes Psalm 82:6, reminding the Jews that the Law refers to mere men—albeit men of authority and prestige—as “gods.” Jesus’ point is this: you charge me with blasphemy based on my use of the title “Son of God”; yet your own Scriptures apply the same term to magistrates in general. If those who hold a divinely appointed office can be considered “gods,” how much more can the One whom God has chosen and sent (verses 34-36)?

In contrast, we have the serpent’s lie to Eve in the Garden. His statement, “your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil” (Genesis 3:5), was a half-truth. Their eyes were opened (verse 7), but they did not become like God. In fact, they lost authority, rather than gaining it. Satan deceived Eve about her ability to become like the one true God, and so led her into a lie. Jesus defended His claim to be the Son of God on biblical and semantic grounds—there is a sense in which influential men can be thought of as gods; therefore, the Messiah can rightly apply the term to Himself. Human beings are not “gods” or “little gods.” We are not God. God is God, and we who know Christ are His children.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

John, NIV Application Commentary by Gary Burge

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible say about sharing?​

Bible sharing
ANSWER

Starting in early childhood, people are taught to share with others. Sharing is a recognized virtue in most civilized cultures because we understand instinctively that selfishness and a lack of sharing are wrong. Whether we acknowledge God or not, we are still created in His image and are more like Him than any other created being (Genesis 1:27). Because of this, we recognize that other people are important, too. Most civilized people groups gravitate toward similar laws in response to God’s moral law written on our hearts (Romans 1:20, 32; Ecclesiastes 3:11). We each have a God-given conscience. Since part of God’s nature is to share with us (2 Corinthians 8:9), people naturally know that sharing is good.

However, due to the sinful natures we all possess (Romans 2:10, 23), we often allow selfishness to rule instead of sharing and generosity. Regardless of chronological age, we can still be toddlers in our attitudes. We don’t want to share. Beneath our plastic smiles and socialized responses, our sinful hearts may be thinking, “What’s mine is mine, and what’s yours should be mine.” Sharing is seen as a nice concept, but a little too uncomfortable to put into practice.

The first-century church set the bar high when they demonstrated biblical sharing. As the church grew rapidly, many new believers from other regions lingered in Jerusalem, hungering to be near their new brothers and sisters in Christ. In order to finance this exploding family, those who owned valuables sold them and donated the money for the common good (Acts 4:32–37). “They shared everything they had” (verse 32), and “there were no needy persons among them” (verse 34). Later on, as churches were established in other places, the apostles gathered financial gifts from various churches and delivered them to the Judean church, which was struggling (Acts 11:27–30; Romans 15:26).

The New Testament equates sharing with real faith. In his explanation of how faith is to be lived out in good works, James says that true religion is “to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world” (James 1:27). John likewise emphasizes the necessity of sharing: “If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth” (1 John 3:17–18).

Christian sharing can take many forms, but it is the heart attitude that matters to God (Matthew 6:2–4). We who have been bought and set apart by the blood of Jesus must be eager to share what He has entrusted to us, whether it be time, energy, or resources. Sharing reminds us that we are not to set our affections on things of this earth, nor store up treasures that have no eternal value (Colossians 3:2; Matthew 6:20). Sharing also keeps us humble, frees us from the love of money, and teaches us to die to ourselves (Romans 6:6; 1 Timothy 6:10). We are most like Jesus when we freely share ourselves with those He brings into our lives.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God by D.A. Carson

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What is post-modern Christianity?​

post-modern Christianity
audio

ANSWER

Post-modern Christianity is just as difficult to lock down in a concise definition as post-modernism itself. What started in the 1950s in architecture as a reaction to modernist thought and style was soon adopted by the art and literary world in the 1970s and 1980s. The Church didn’t really feel this effect until the 1990s. This reaction was a dissolution of "cold, hard fact" in favor of "warm, fuzzy subjectivity." Think of anything considered post-modern, then stick Christianity into that context and you have a glimpse of what post-modern Christianity is.

Post-modern Christianity falls into line with basic post-modernist thinking. It is about experience over reason, subjectivity over objectivity, spirituality over religion, images over words, outward over inward. Are these things good? Sure. Are these things bad? Sure. It all depends on how far from biblical truth each reaction against modernity takes one’s faith. This, of course, is up to each believer. However, when groups form under such thinking, theology and doctrine tend to lean more towards liberalism.

For example, because experience is valued more highly than reason, truth becomes relative. This opens up all kinds of problems, as this lessens the standard that the Bible contains absolute truth, and even disqualifies biblical truth as being absolute in many cases. If the Bible is not our source for absolute truth, and personal experience is allowed to define and interpret what truth actually is, a saving faith in Jesus Christ is rendered meaningless.

There will always be "paradigm shifts" in thinking as long as mankind inhabits this present earth, because mankind constantly seeks to better itself in knowledge and stature. Challenges to our way of thinking are good, as they cause us to grow, to learn, and to understand. This is the principle of Romans 12:2 at work, of our minds being transformed. Yet, we need to be ever mindful of Acts 17:11 and be like the Bereans, weighing every new teaching, every new thought, against Scripture. We don’t let our experiences interpret Scripture for us, but as we change and conform ourselves to Christ, we interpret our experiences according to Scripture. Unfortunately, this is not what is happening in circles espousing post-modern Christianity.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

A Primer on Postmodernism by Stanley Grenz

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Should a Christian celebrate holidays?​

Christian holidays
audio

ANSWER

The Bible nowhere instructs Christians to celebrate holidays. Days such as Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Independence Day, birthdays, anniversaries, etc., are not mentioned in Scripture. The Bible does not even mandate Christmas or Easter observances. The lack of any biblical command or precedent regarding the celebration of modern holidays has led some to refrain from observing these days, even those holidays that are considered Christian.

The only holidays mentioned in Scripture are the Jewish feast days: Passover (Mark 14:12), Unleavened Bread (Leviticus 23:6), Firstfruits (Leviticus 23:10; 1 Corinthians 15:20), Pentecost (Acts 2:1), Trumpets (Leviticus 23:24), the Day of Atonement (Leviticus 23:27), and Tabernacles (Leviticus 23:34). Many scholars believe the feast mentioned in John 5:1 is Purim, although it is unnamed. The Old Testament also mentions the New Moon festival, which marked the consecration to God of each new month in the year. New Moon festivals involved sacrifices, the blowing of trumpets (Numbers 10:10), the suspension of all labor and trade (Nehemiah 10:31), and social or family feasts (1 Samuel 20:5). None of these holidays, although “biblical” in the sense that they are in the Bible, are mandated for Christians. Jesus Christ came to fulfill the law (Matthew 5:17) and establish a new covenant (Luke 22:20), and the Jewish feasts find their fulfillment in Him.

While there is no command in the Bible for New Testament Christians to celebrate holidays, neither is there a prohibition from doing so. The Bible never speaks against celebrating holidays. On the basis of that alone, it is allowable for Christians to celebrate holidays.

Some Christians avoid celebrating holidays because many of the holidays celebrated today—even those usually labeled as “Christian” holidays—are of questionable origin. It’s true that the Christian celebration of certain holidays may represent a reclamation of pagan celebrations—an ancient pagan holiday was “redeemed” for God’s glory, imbued with new meaning, and adorned with different traditions designed to worship the Lord. Some Christians cannot overlook the historical pagan associations of those holidays; others have come to terms with the history and praise God for the modern opportunity to magnify God’s name.

Some holidays are more overtly compatible with Christianity than others. Christmas and Easter, of course, are Christian celebrations of Jesus’ birth and resurrection. Thanksgiving Day promotes the biblical ideal of gratefulness. Such holidays give Christians plenty of reason to celebrate. Other holidays, such as Halloween and Groundhog Day, are a little more difficult to associate with biblical beliefs.

Christians trying to decide whether or not to celebrate a holiday should consider a few things: a) Does the holiday in any way promote false doctrine, superstition, or immorality (Galatians 5:19–23)? b) Can we thank God for what we observe on a holiday (1 Thessalonians 5:16–18)? c) Will celebrating the holiday detract from our Christian testimony or witness (Philippians 2:15)? d) Is there a way to “redeem” elements of the holiday and use them to glorify God (1 Corinthians 10:31)? In asking all these questions, we should pray to God, asking Him for guidance (James 1:5).

In the end, the celebration of holidays is a matter of conscience. Romans 14:4–6a makes this clear: “Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. . . . One person considers one day more sacred than another; another considers every day alike. Each of them should be fully convinced in their own mind. Whoever regards one day as special does so to the Lord.” We can draw several principles from this passage:

1) Christians may have sincere disagreements about the observance of holidays, and such disagreements are not to be a source of conflict.
2) Each of us must give an account to God for our own actions.
3) We do not have the right to judge another believer in the matter of celebrating holidays.
4) In any day that we consider “special,” our observance must be “to the Lord.”

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Balancing the Christian Life by Charles Ryrie

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

How should Christians respond to someone who leaves the faith?​

podcast leave the faith
ANSWER

Our understanding of anyone’s situation is limited, of course, but when a “Christian” leaves the faith or renounces belief in God, we do have some general guidelines for how to respond. In many cases of high-profile individuals leaving the faith, we observe that their departures from the faith were not “de-conversions” as much as “realizations.”

As individuals who leave their faith behind tell their stories, we often see that they gradually grew uncomfortable with and eventually rejected aspects of Christian culture and belief. They knew for quite a while that they were going through the motions and simply “playing along” with Christianity. After a while, these individuals accepted that they lacked a deep or connected sense of truth. They didn’t change their ideology, per se, only their identification.

For most of those who turn their backs on God, losing faith really means recognizing they never had faith to begin with. What they had was a vague intellectual agreement with some of the tenets of the gospel, some family traditions, some social connections, and (in the high-profile cases) a bright career path. But, when questions arose, they didn’t have actual faith or trust in the Savior. By and large, that’s the reason people who once identified as Christians change their minds. It’s not that they were true believers, then stopped; it’s that they came to embrace the fact that they were never true believers at all.

Jesus’ parable of the four soils illustrates what happens in the hearts of those who fall away from the faith (Matthew 13:1–23). The seed springs up in the stony ground, and for a while things look good, but there was never any root. Lacking true depth, plants wither and die; lacking a true change of heart, so-called faith disappears.

But there is another legitimate possibility to explain the behavior of those who leave the faith—in another of Jesus’ parables. It could be that those who seem to fall away are undergoing a prodigal-type experience (see Luke 15:11–32). If they are truly saved, then what we see as their departure from the faith is a tragic victory of sin in their lives. Such willfulness will be resolved, eventually. Legitimate Christians can sin, and they can struggle with doubt, but they will come out of it, often after a time of divine discipline (see Galatians 6:1–5 and Hebrews 12:4–13).

Either way—whether those who leave the faith are like the stony ground or like the prodigal son—the situations are heartbreaking. Such instances should be addressed with love and honesty. It’s almost impossible for us to know, for certain, what’s happening in anyone’s heart (1 Samuel 16:7). But Scripture is clear that those who are born again cannot lose that status (John 10:28). It is also clear that even those who are saved can risk serious consequences for disobedience (see 1 Corinthians 5:5 and Galatians 6:7).

The best thing to do when we have doubts is recognize that God allows us the space to express them (Mark 9:24; Habakkuk 1:2–4). He knows we will struggle with our experiences (John 16:32–33). It’s critical to know that He provides answers when we seek them (Matthew 7:7–8). Scripture (John 20:31; 2 Peter 1:16; Luke 1:1–4) and nature (Romans 1:18–20; Psalm 19:1) both serve to provide evidence and reasons to believe. That does not make the answers simple, but they are there (1 John 4:1). We can and should seek the advice of those with more experience and wisdom to help us answer those questions (Proverbs 11:14; Philippians 3:14–15). Perhaps more than anything, it’s essential to remember that “I don’t understand” is not the same as “this cannot be true.” Most people who “de-convert” reach a crisis point where they do not agree with God and refuse to accept that they could be wrong; on the basis of that, they decide God does not exist. Sooner or later, what a person wants to believe becomes more important than any evidence to the contrary (see John 5:39–40).

Some questions are hard, and not all have happy answers. But there are answers. Many seekers and skeptics have found them (1 Peter 3:15). Our prayer is that those who leave the faith will come back to the truth. If they don’t, it only proves that merely saying, “I am a Christian,” is not self-authenticating, even when a person is sincere (Matthew 7:21–23; Mark 13:13).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The Moody Handbook of Theology by Paul Enns

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

How should Christians respond to someone who leaves the faith?​

ANSWER

Our understanding of anyone’s situation is limited, of course, but when a “Christian” leaves the faith or renounces belief in God, we do have some general guidelines for how to respond. In many cases of high-profile individuals leaving the faith, we observe that their departures from the faith were not “de-conversions” as much as “realizations.”

As individuals who leave their faith behind tell their stories, we often see that they gradually grew uncomfortable with and eventually rejected aspects of Christian culture and belief. They knew for quite a while that they were going through the motions and simply “playing along” with Christianity. After a while, these individuals accepted that they lacked a deep or connected sense of truth. They didn’t change their ideology, per se, only their identification.

For most of those who turn their backs on God, losing faith really means recognizing they never had faith to begin with. What they had was a vague intellectual agreement with some of the tenets of the gospel, some family traditions, some social connections, and (in the high-profile cases) a bright career path. But, when questions arose, they didn’t have actual faith or trust in the Savior. By and large, that’s the reason people who once identified as Christians change their minds. It’s not that they were true believers, then stopped; it’s that they came to embrace the fact that they were never true believers at all.

Jesus’ parable of the four soils illustrates what happens in the hearts of those who fall away from the faith (Matthew 13:1–23). The seed springs up in the stony ground, and for a while things look good, but there was never any root. Lacking true depth, plants wither and die; lacking a true change of heart, so-called faith disappears.

But there is another legitimate possibility to explain the behavior of those who leave the faith—in another of Jesus’ parables. It could be that those who seem to fall away are undergoing a prodigal-type experience (see Luke 15:11–32). If they are truly saved, then what we see as their departure from the faith is a tragic victory of sin in their lives. Such willfulness will be resolved, eventually. Legitimate Christians can sin, and they can struggle with doubt, but they will come out of it, often after a time of divine discipline (see Galatians 6:1–5 and Hebrews 12:4–13).

Either way—whether those who leave the faith are like the stony ground or like the prodigal son—the situations are heartbreaking. Such instances should be addressed with love and honesty. It’s almost impossible for us to know, for certain, what’s happening in anyone’s heart (1 Samuel 16:7). But Scripture is clear that those who are born again cannot lose that status (John 10:28). It is also clear that even those who are saved can risk serious consequences for disobedience (see 1 Corinthians 5:5 and Galatians 6:7).

The best thing to do when we have doubts is recognize that God allows us the space to express them (Mark 9:24; Habakkuk 1:2–4). He knows we will struggle with our experiences (John 16:32–33). It’s critical to know that He provides answers when we seek them (Matthew 7:7–8). Scripture (John 20:31; 2 Peter 1:16; Luke 1:1–4) and nature (Romans 1:18–20; Psalm 19:1) both serve to provide evidence and reasons to believe. That does not make the answers simple, but they are there (1 John 4:1). We can and should seek the advice of those with more experience and wisdom to help us answer those questions (Proverbs 11:14; Philippians 3:14–15). Perhaps more than anything, it’s essential to remember that “I don’t understand” is not the same as “this cannot be true.” Most people who “de-convert” reach a crisis point where they do not agree with God and refuse to accept that they could be wrong; on the basis of that, they decide God does not exist. Sooner or later, what a person wants to believe becomes more important than any evidence to the contrary (see John 5:39–40).

Some questions are hard, and not all have happy answers. But there are answers. Many seekers and skeptics have found them (1 Peter 3:15). Our prayer is that those who leave the faith will come back to the truth. If they don’t, it only proves that merely saying, “I am a Christian,” is not self-authenticating, even when a person is sincere (Matthew 7:21–23; Mark 13:13).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The Moody Handbook of Theology by Paul Enns

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible say about karma?​

video Bible karma
audio

ANSWER

Karma is a theological concept found in the Buddhist and Hindu religions. It is the idea that how you live your life will determine the quality of life you will have after reincarnation. If you are unselfish, kind, and holy during this lifetime, you will be rewarded by being reincarnated (reborn into a new earthly body) into a pleasant life. However, if you live a life of selfishness and evil, you will be reincarnated into a less-than-pleasant lifestyle. In other words, you reap in the next life what you sow in this one. Karma is based on the theological belief in reincarnation. The Bible rejects the idea of reincarnation; therefore, it does not support the idea of karma.

hqdefault.jpg

Hebrews 9:27 states, “Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment…” This Bible verse makes clear two important points which, for Christians, negate the possibility of reincarnation and karma. First, it states that we are “destined to die once,” meaning that humans are only born once and only die once. There is no endless cycle of life and death and rebirth, an idea inherent in the reincarnation theory. Second, it states that after death we face judgment, meaning that there is no second chance, like there is in reincarnation and karma, to live a better life. You get one shot at life and living it according to God’s plan, and that is it.

The Bible talks a lot about reaping and sowing. Job 4:8 says, “As I have observed, those who plow evil and those who sow trouble reap it.” Psalm 126:5 says, “Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.” Luke 12:24 says, “Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds!” In each of these instances, as well as all the other references to reaping and sowing, the act of receiving the rewards of your actions takes place in this life, not in some future life. It is a present-day activity, and the references make it clear that the fruit you reap will be commensurate with the actions you have performed. In addition, the sowing you perform in this life will affect your reward or punishment in the afterlife.

This afterlife is not a rebirth or a reincarnation into another body here on earth. It is either eternal suffering in hell (Matthew 25:46) or eternal life in heaven with Jesus, who died so that we might live eternally with Him. This should be the focus of our life on earth. The apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 6:8-9, “The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

Finally, we must always remember that it was Jesus whose death on the cross resulted in the reaping of eternal life for us, and that it is faith in Jesus that gives us this eternal life. Ephesians 2:8-9 tells us, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.” Therefore, we see that the concept of reincarnation and karma is incompatible with what the Bible teaches about life, death, and the sowing and reaping of eternal life.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Encountering World Religions by Irving Hexham

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible say about karma?​

What does the Bible say about karma? Is the concept of you reap what you sow the same thing as karma?

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

How can I be an effective witness for Christ in a lost world?​

ANSWER

A “witness” is someone who attests to a fact, so in order to be an effective witness for Christ, one must have firsthand knowledge of Him. John the Apostle speaks of this in 1 John 1:1-3, when he says, “That . . . which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked at, and our hands have touched—this we proclaim concerning the Word of Life.” Today, we who have experienced new life in Christ give an account of His love and forgiveness, both verbally and in the way we live our lives. This is witnessing. To be effective in our witness, we should remember several basic things:

1) the THEME of our witness is Jesus Christ. Paul defined the gospel as the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). If we aren’t explaining the sacrifice of Christ, then we’re not really sharing the gospel. (See also 1 Corinthians 2:2 and Romans 10:9-10.) An important part of this theme is the fact that Jesus Christ is the only way to salvation, not just one of many ways. “I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6).

2) the POWER of our witness is the Holy Spirit. It is the Spirit who transforms a life (Titus 3:5), and a transformed life is evident to all. As we witness, we should spend much time in prayer, appropriating the Spirit’s power so that we are enabled to let our light shine in such a way that others will recognize the power of God in us (Matthew 5:16).

3) the VALIDITY of our witness will be shown in how we live our lives. Philippians 2:15 sets this goal for us: “That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world.” The effective Christian witness will live his/her life above reproach in the power of the Holy Spirit, whose fruit we exhibit when we remain in Christ (John 15:1-8; Galatians 5:22-23).

Perhaps most importantly, we must be familiar enough with the Scriptures to be able to accurately and coherently present the gospel to others. “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have” (1 Peter 3:15). Always being prepared means diligent Bible study, memorizing Scripture, and praying for God-given opportunities to share with those whose hearts have been prepared by the Lord to hear His message of salvation.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Reaching the Lost: Evangelism by Bobby Jamieson

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What are some Bible verses about witnessing?​

Bible verses about witnessing
ANSWER

1 Peter 3:15
But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,

Mark 16:15-16
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned."

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Matthew 28:18-20
And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Acts 1:8
But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.

Mark 16:15
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation."

John 3:17
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

Isaiah 43:10
“You are my witnesses,” declares the Lord, “and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.

1 Corinthians 9:22
To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.

Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.

Acts 2:37-38
Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

1 Peter 3:1-2
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct.

2 Timothy 1:8-9
Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

Colossians 1:28
Him we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone mature in Christ.

Isaiah 40:10
Behold, the Lord God comes with might, and his arm rules for him; behold, his reward is with him, and his recompense before him.

Romans 10:14-15
How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

Proverbs 31:8-9
Open your mouth for the mute, for the rights of all who are destitute. Open your mouth, judge righteously, defend the rights of the poor and needy.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible say about hospitality?​

Bible hospitality
audio

ANSWER

Hospitality can be defined as “the quality or disposition of receiving and treating guests and strangers in a warm, friendly, generous way.” In the New Testament, the Greek word translated “hospitality” literally means “love of strangers.” Hospitality is a virtue that is both commanded and commended throughout Scripture. In the Old Testament, it was specifically commanded by God: “When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt” (Leviticus 19:33-34, emphasis added).

During His public ministry, Jesus and His disciples depended entirely on the hospitality of others as they ministered from town to town (Matthew 10:9-10). Likewise, the early Christians also depended on and received hospitality from others (Acts 2:44-45; 28:7). In fact, travelers in ancient times depended heavily on the hospitality of strangers as traveling could be dangerous and there were very few inns, and poor Christians could not afford to stay at them, anyway. This generous provision to strangers also included opening one’s home for church services. Hospitality was indeed a highly regarded virtue in ancient times, especially for Christian leaders (Titus 1:8; 1 Timothy 3:2).

The writer of Hebrews reminds us not to forget to “entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it” (Hebrews 13:2). Indeed, in the book of Genesis we read of Abraham’s humble and generous display of hospitality to three strangers. Wealthy and aged, Abraham could have called on one of his many servants to tend to the three unannounced visitors. Yet the hospitable and righteous Abraham generously gave them the best he had. And, as it turned out, he had entertained the Lord and two angels (Genesis 18:1-8).

Christians are “God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works” (Ephesians 2:10). As followers of Christ, we emulate His love and compassion when we show hospitality, not only to fellow Christians, but even more so to strangers and the less fortunate. In fact, we honor God when we are kind to the needy (Proverbs 14:31; 19:17). As Jesus said, “When you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed” (Luke 14:13). Christ also taught us the second greatest commandment, to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:39), and the Parable of the Good Samaritan teaches us that “neighbor” has nothing to do with geography, citizenship, or race. Wherever and whenever people need us, there we can be neighbors and, like Christ, show mercy. This is the essence of hospitality.

In the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus discusses the hospitable behavior of those who will inherit the kingdom: “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me” (Matthew 25:34-36). In these days we often don’t think much about entertaining strangers, but hospitality is still an important part of Christian ministry (Romans 12:13; 1 Peter 4:9). By serving others we serve Christ (Matthew 25:40) and we promote the spread of God’s truth (3 John 5-8).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Open Heart, Open Home: The Hospitable Way to Make Others Feel Welcome & Wanted by Karen Mains

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What are some Bible verses about hospitality?​

Bible verses about hospitality
ANSWER

Hebrews 13:2
Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

1 Peter 4:9
Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.

Romans 12:13
Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.

Leviticus 19:34
You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Titus 1:8
But hospitable, a lover of good, self-controlled, upright, holy, and disciplined.

Luke 14:12-14
He said also to the man who had invited him, “When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”

1 Timothy 3:2
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

1 Timothy 5:10
And having a reputation for good works: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every good work.

Acts 28:2
The native people showed us unusual kindness, for they kindled a fire and welcomed us all, because it had begun to rain and was cold.

Colossians 3:23-24
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.

Mark 9:41
For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward.

3 John 1:5-8
Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth.

Romans 16:2
That you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well.

Ephesians 6:7
Rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man,

Isaiah 58:7
Is it not to share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?

Hebrews 13:16
Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Matthew 25:40
And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

Galatians 6:10
So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.

Matthew 10:40-42
Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. The one who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and the one who receives a righteous person because he is a righteous person will receive a righteous person's reward. And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward.

Luke 10:38
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

How did God use dreams and visions in the Bible?​

ANSWER

God used dreams and visions (visions are “waking dreams”; see Numbers 24:4) several times in the Bible to communicate with people. Visions seem to have been common enough that their lack was sorely noted. An absence of visions was due at times to a dearth of prophets (1 Samuel 3:1) and other times due to the disobedience of God’s people (1 Samuel 28:6).

Old Testament Dreams and Visions
God used visions in the Old Testament to reveal His plan, to further His plan, and to put His people in places of influence.

Abraham (Genesis 15:1): God used a vision to restate the Abrahamic Covenant, reminding Abram that he would have a son and be the father of many nations.

Abimelech (Genesis 20:1-7): Abraham’s wife, Sarah, was beautiful—so beautiful that when Abraham came into a new area he occasionally feared that the local ruler would kill him and take Sarah for himself. Abraham told Abimelech king of Gerar that Sarah was his sister (she was his half-sister). Abimelech took Sarah into his harem, but God sent him a dream telling him not to touch Sarah because she was Abraham’s wife. The king returned Sarah to her husband the next morning; the dream had protected Sarah and safeguarded God’s plan for Sarah to be the mother of His chosen people.

Jacob (Genesis 28:10-17): Jacob, with his mother’s help, stole Esau’s firstborn inheritance. Jacob then fled Esau’s anger, and on his journey he had his famous dream of a ladder reaching to heaven on which angels ascended and descended. In this dream Jacob received God’s promise that Abraham’s blessing would be carried on through him.

Joseph (Genesis 37:1-11): Joseph is one of the most famous dreamers, and one of the most famous dream-interpreters, in the Bible. His first recorded dreams are found in Genesis 37. They showed through easily deciphered symbols that Joseph’s family would one day bow to him in respect. His brothers didn’t appreciate the dream and in their hatred sold Joseph into slavery. Eventually, Joseph ended up in prison in Egypt.

Pharaoh’s cupbearer and baker (Genesis 40): While in prison Joseph interpreted some dreams of Pharaoh’s cupbearer and baker. With God’s guidance, he explained that the cupbearer would return to Pharaoh’s service, but the baker would be killed.

Pharaoh (Genesis 41): Two years later, Pharaoh himself had a dream which Joseph interpreted. God’s purpose was to raise Joseph to second-in-command over Egypt and to save the Egyptians and the Israelites from a horrible famine.

Samuel (1 Samuel 3): Samuel had his first vision as a young boy. God told him that judgment was coming upon the sons of Samuel’s mentor, Eli. The young Samuel was faithful to relay the information, and God continued to speak to Samuel through the rest of his life.

The Midianite and Amalekite armies (Judges 7:12-15): The pagan enemies of Israel had a divinely inspired dream. God told Gideon to sneak into the enemy camp at night, and there in the outposts of the camp, Gideon overheard an enemy soldier relate a dream he had just had. The interpretation, from another enemy soldier, mentioned Gideon by name and predicted that Israel would win the battle. Gideon was greatly encouraged by this revelation.

Solomon (1 Kings 3:5): It was in a dream that God gave Solomon the famous offer: "Ask what you wish Me to give you." Solomon chose wisdom.

Daniel (Daniel 2; 4): As He had done for Joseph, God placed Daniel in a position of power and influence by allowing him to interpret a foreign ruler’s dream. This is consistent with God’s propensity to use miracles to identify His messengers. Daniel himself had many dreams and visions, mostly related to future kingdoms of the world and the nation of Israel.

New Testament Dreams and Visions
Visions in the New Testament also served to provide information that was unavailable elsewhere. Specifically, God used visions and dreams to identify Jesus and to establish His church.

Zacharias (Luke 1:5-23): God used a vision to tell Zacharias, an old priest, that he would soon have an important son. Not long after, Zacharias and his wife, Elizabeth, had John the Baptist.

Joseph (Matthew 1:20; 2:13): Joseph would have divorced Mary when he found out she was pregnant, but God sent an angel to him in a dream, convincing him that the pregnancy was of God. Joseph went ahead with the marriage. After Jesus was born, God sent two more dreams, one to tell Joseph to take his family to Egypt so Herod could not kill Jesus and another to tell him Herod was dead and that he could return home.

Pilate’s wife (Matthew 27:19): During Jesus’ trial, Pilate’s wife sent an urgent message to the governor encouraging him to free Jesus. Her message was prompted by a dream she had—a nightmare, really—that convinced her that Jesus was innocent and that Pilate should have nothing to do with His case.

Ananias (Acts 9:10): It would have taken nothing less than a vision from God to convince Ananias, a Christian in Damascus, to visit Paul, the persecutor of Christians. But because Ananias was obedient to God’s leading, Paul regained his sight and found the truth about those he was trying to kill.

Cornelius (Acts 10:1-6): God spoke to an Italian centurion named Cornelius who feared the God of the Jews. In his vision, Cornelius saw an angel who told him where to find Simon Peter and to send for him and listen to his message. Cornelius obeyed the vision, Peter came and preached, and Cornelius and his household full of Gentiles were saved by the grace of God.

Peter (Acts 10:9-15): While Peter was praying on the rooftop of a house in Joppa, God gave him a vision of animals lowered in something like a sheet. A voice from heaven told Peter to kill the animals (some of which were unclean) and eat them. The vision served to show that Christians are not bound by kosher law and that God had pronounced Gentiles “clean”; that is, heaven is open to all who follow Jesus.

Paul: Paul had several visions in his missionary career. One sent him to preach in Macedonia (Acts 16:9-10). Another encouraged him to keep preaching in Corinth (Acts 18:9-11). God also gave him a vision of heaven (2 Corinthians 12:1-6).

John (Revelation): Nearly the entire book of Revelation is a vision John had while exiled on the island of Patmos. John’s vision explains in more detail some of the events that God had shown Daniel.

Today’s Dreams and Visions
With the completion of the Bible, God does not have to use dreams and visions as much as He did before. That is not to say that He cannot or does not; God can communicate with us however He chooses. But when we have a decision to make, our first stop should always be the Bible, not a dream.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God’s Will or How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Impressions, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky, etc. by Kevin DeYoung

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Christian dream interpretation?​

ANSWER

GotQuestions.org is not a Christian dream interpretation service. We do not interpret dreams. We strongly believe that a person’s dreams and the meaning of those dreams are between the person and God alone. In the past, God spoke to people sometimes in dreams. Examples are Joseph, son of Jacob (Genesis 37:5–10); Joseph, the husband of Mary (Matthew 2:12–22); Solomon (1 Kings 3:5–15); and several others (Daniel 2:1; 7:1; Matthew 27:19). There is also a prophecy of the prophet Joel (Joel 2:28), quoted by the apostle Peter in Acts 2:17, that mentions God using dreams. So God can speak through dreams, if He chooses to.

However, we must keep in mind that the Bible is complete, having revealed everything we need to know from now until eternity. This is not to say that God does not work miracles or even speak through dreams today, but anything God says, whether through a dream, vision, impression, or “still small voice,” will agree completely with what He has already revealed in His Word. Dreams cannot usurp the authority of Scripture.

If you have a dream and feel that perhaps God gave it to you, prayerfully examine the Word of God and make sure your dream is in agreement with Scripture. If it is, prayerfully consider what God would have you do in response to your dream (James 1:5). In Scripture, whenever anyone experienced a dream from God, God always made the meaning of the dream clear, whether directly to the person, through an angel, or through another messenger (Genesis 40:5–11; Daniel 2:45; 4:19). When God speaks to us, He makes sure His message is clearly understood.

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

The Quest Study Bible

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is God giving people in closed countries dreams and visions to bring them to faith in Christ?​

dreams and visions
audio

ANSWER

In Acts 10, a man in Caesarea named Cornelius receives a vision from God instructing him to send for a man named Peter (Simon Peter, an apostle of Jesus), who was in Joppa. Meanwhile, Peter receives a vision that instructed him to go with the men Cornelius sent. Peter arrives at Cornelius’s house, shares the gospel, and Cornelius and his entire family receive Jesus Christ as Savior. What an amazing and miraculous account!

In recent years, there have been many reports of people coming to faith in Christ through dreams and visions. The reports are most common in “closed” countries, that is, places where access to the Bible and the gospel is limited.

The stories are inspiring: a missionary’s car breaks down, and as he is waiting for help, a man approaches him and asks if he is God’s messenger. The missionary learns of a dream the man had that told him to go to that exact location to find “God’s messenger.” The missionary returns with the man to the village and proclaims the gospel, and the entire village comes to faith in Christ.

A Muslim man experiences a vision in which Jesus reveals Himself as the true prophet of God, the only Savior, and the only way of reconciliation with God. The Muslim man, at the risk of his life, forsakes Islam and embraces Christ.

What are Bible-believing Christians to do with miraculous claims like these? First, we should recognize that such events are entirely possible. As seen in Acts 10, God has worked in this way. Also, the apostle Paul was brought to faith in Christ through a vision (Acts 9:3–6); and Ananias, who later ministered to Paul, was sent to Paul through a vision (Acts 9:10–19). God at times worked through dreams and visions in the Bible, and there is no reason He could not do so today.

Second, we need to approach claims of dreams and miracles with an appropriate amount of discernment. It is highly unlikely that all such claims are true, even if the results appear to be good. People of false religions also report converts due to dreams, visions, prophecies, etc. Satan is a counterfeiter (2 Corinthians 11:14), and the Bible declares that miraculous revelations can be faked (Ezekiel 13:7; 1 John 4:1–6).

Third, when we hear of such amazing miracles—even if they are verified as true—we need to refocus our attention on the Word of God. Only the Word of God never fails (1 Peter 1:25). Only the Word of God is inerrant, infallible, and authoritative. As Jesus said, if people will not listen to the Word of God, they will not listen even if the most amazing of miracles is performed in front of them (Luke 16:31).

Finally, we are to worship and praise God for the amazing ways that He works. Whether a person is brought to faith in Christ through a simple gospel presentation or through a dream or vision, we should be rejoicing with the angels (Luke 15:10).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

Dreams and Visions: Is Jesus Awakening the Muslim World? by Tom Doyle

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible say about homosexuality?​

ANSWER

In some people’s minds, being homosexual is as much outside one’s control as the color of your skin and your height. On the other hand, the Bible clearly and consistently declares that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1–13; Leviticus 18:22; 20:13; Romans 1:26–27; 1 Corinthians 6:9; 1 Timothy 1:10). This disconnect leads to much controversy, debate, and even hostility.

hqdefault.jpg

When examining what the Bible says about homosexuality, it is important to distinguish between homosexual behavior and homosexual inclinations or attractions. It is the difference between active sin and the passive condition of being tempted. Homosexual behavior is sinful, but the Bible never says it is a sin to be tempted. Simply stated, a struggle with temptation may lead to sin, but the struggle itself is not a sin.

Romans 1:26–27 teaches that homosexuality is a result of denying and disobeying God. When people continue in sin and unbelief, God “gives them over” to even more wicked and depraved sin to show them the futility and hopelessness of life apart from God. One of the fruits of rebellion against God is homosexuality. First Corinthians 6:9 proclaims that those who practice homosexuality, and therefore transgress God’s created order, are not saved.

A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as some people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins. That does not excuse the person’s choosing to sin by giving in to sinful desires. Just because a person is born with a greater susceptibility to fits of rage, that doesn’t make it right for him to give in to those desires and explode at every provocation. The same is true with a susceptibility to homosexuality.

No matter our proclivities or attractions, we cannot continue to define ourselves by the very sins that crucified Jesus—and at the same time assume we are right with God. Paul lists many of the sins that the Corinthians once practiced (homosexuality is on the list). But in 1 Corinthians 6:11, he reminds them, “That is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God” (emphasis added). In other words, some of the Corinthians, before they were saved, lived homosexual lifestyles; but no sin is too great for the cleansing power of Jesus. Once cleansed, we are no longer defined by sin.

The problem with homosexual attraction is that it is an attraction to something God has forbidden, and any desire for something sinful ultimately has its roots in sin. The pervasive nature of sin causes us to see the world and our own actions through a warped perspective. Our thoughts, desires, and dispositions are all affected. So, homosexual attraction does not always result in active, willful sin—there may not be a conscious choice to sin—but it springs from the sinful nature. Same-sex attraction is always, on some basic level, an expression of the fallen nature.

As sinful human beings living in a sinful world (Romans 3:23), we are beset with weaknesses, temptations, and inducements to sin. Our world is filled with lures and entrapments, including the enticement to practice homosexuality.

The temptation to engage in homosexual behavior is very real to many. Those who struggle with homosexual attraction often report suffering through years of wishing things were different. People may not always be able to control how or what they feel, but they can control what they do with those feelings (1 Peter 1:5–8). We all have the responsibility to resist temptation (Ephesians 6:13). We must all be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2). We must all “walk by the Spirit” so as not to “gratify the desires of the flesh” (Galatians 5:16).

Finally, the Bible does not describe homosexuality as a “greater” sin than any other. All sin is offensive to God. Without Christ, we are lost, whatever type of sin has entangled us. According to the Bible, God’s forgiveness is available to the homosexual just as it is to the adulterer, idol worshiper, murderer, and thief. God promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1 Corinthians 6:11; 2 Corinthians 5:17; Philippians 4:13).

FOR FURTHER STUDY​

What Does the Bible Really Teach About Homosexuality? by Kevin DeYoung

101 Frequently Asked Questions About Homosexuality by Mike Haley

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal

What does the Bible say about homosexuality? | GotQuestions.org​

72,911 views Nov 29, 2018 What does the Bible say about homosexuality? Is homosexuality a sin? Does God hate gays? Is being gay a choice? These are real questions that deserve loving, yet firm honest answers. Thankfully, the Bible clearly answers these questions. In this video, Pastor Nelson with Bible Munch, reads the Got Questions article titled: “What does the Bible say about homosexuality? Is homosexuality a sin?”

*** Curious about Bible Munch? Go check them out! https://www.youtube.com/BibleMunch