• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wise words from Khaw Boon Wan "university degree not vital for success"

jw5

Loyal
I spent 4 years in uni. I was not taught any ethics. My buddies in Bizad weren't taught any ethics either. They were taught how to extend the reach of MNCs by seeking out cheap labour.

My doctor friends had to take some sort of oath to help humanity. Most of them have gone on to become obscenely rich. They spend their spare time racing their Porsches up North.

That figures...................... :rolleyes:

The extra formal education isn't going to make anyone more moral or ethical. I have said that previously.
What it does is help someone to understand professional ethics/ethical dealings/acceptable business practices/rational and sensible decision making, and not simply based on what someone tells them at work or what they see being done.
What they eventually do or the action they take will be based on other factors, including their values, upbringing, environmental influence, motivation, etc.

Perhaps what you needed was to either get a professional degree and the ethics course that came with it or to be less fixated with success as defined by simply material wealth or having your problems fixed. :biggrin:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I spent 4 years in uni. I was not taught any ethics. My buddies in Bizad weren't taught any ethics either. They were taught how to extend the reach of MNCs by seeking out cheap labour.

My doctor friends had to take some sort of oath to help humanity. Most of them have gone on to become obscenely rich. They spend their spare time racing their Porsches up North.

Can you stop using monetary value as a gauge for success?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You cannot have a decent and fair discussion with most PAP Ministers. Look at Jamie Han, the girl from Reuters, the 2006 pre-election debate with the younger generation had with the old man and where he was asked to step down.

TCH is notorious from Navy days to be an arrogant prick. It is beneath him to have discussion with anyone. You cannot have a proper meeting with Shanmugam as he will keep repeating that he is not aware of this and that until you realise that he is winding you up. Only Tharman and GY are known to genuinely engage people.

These are not one-offs but a pattern that is well established.

TCH's response was completely valid. He wanted to extract more information in order to improve the depth of the discussion.

lesMISERABLES

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCH is notorious from Navy days to be an arrogant prick. It is beneath him to have discussion with anyone. You cannot have a proper meeting with Shanmugam as he will keep repeating that he is not aware of this and that until you realise that he is winding you up. Only Tharman and GY are known to genuinely engage people.

These are not one-offs but a pattern that is well established.

I hope that Pinky's cabinet of ministars will be filled with people like Duke Teo and Mr Sham. It is only then that the Protestants (read: those who protests against LEEgime's excesses) will be able to continue the Reformation of the rot within Sinkieland.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Alamak ...I spent so much money getting a degree ...now he tells me I can get a good job without degree. Where do I find those jobs?

singham

Alfrescian
Loyal
taxi driver, crane operator, sakae sushi dish washer...etc.

btw, his statement may have many other meaning. i have deduced that many young ones for the sake of getting degree, got themselves enrolled in those half past six universities to get the paper qualification. end up not doing well as a white collar worker.

Alamak ...I spent so much money getting a degree ...now he tells me I can get a good job without degree. Where do I find those jobs?

Ritchie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Khaw may be suggesting the heartware quality & value of Uni graduate and how they can offer their wealth of knowledge to benefit Singapore beyond coins and dollars and themselves meaningfully. Success vs Destiny!

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
How does it benefit a man if he acquires for himself the ability to generate good income (with or without a degree) but fails to live healthy life ?

I propose he learns to go green - eat lots of vegetables and drink lots of soursop juice :smile:

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How does it benefit a man if he acquires for himself the ability to generate good income (with or without a degree) but fails to live healthy life ?

I propose he learns to go green - eat lots of vegetables and drink lots of soursop juice :smile:

Still didn't managed to get the points from Tonychat? :biggrin:

Charlie258

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm responding to what I read daily in this forum from numerous samsters... that their jobs are being stolen, that their FT boss is stripping them of their dignity and self esteem, that they can't make ends meet, that their latest increment was a mere 1.5%, that they have no time for their families, that they'll never be able to save enough to retire etc etc etc.

I'm offering them a simple solution to their problems which is easily achievable once they've altered their mindset and made up their minds that they don't want to spend the rest of their working lives beholden to someone else and dependent on government policies for their long term survival.

99.9% of us wish we could be the commander-in-chief of our own lives instead of being a subordinate. However, only 5% actually do something about it. I'd like to see a scenario where at least 50% or more give it a shot.

A bit about "entrepreneurship"... in the good old days, it meant taking risks, raising capital, obtaining loans and risking bankruptcy. Not everyone had the stomach for it. However, in the internet age, there is almost zero risk. It costs nothing to give it go. There are no start up costs, there is no capital equipment to purchase. The computer is already sitting in front of you and it's already paid for in most cases. Your most important asset is already sitting between your ears and its utilisation rate for productive pursuits is 5% or less. It costs nothing to boost utilisation to 75% or more.

All that is required is belief in oneself and a desire to achieve. We all have it within us. It simply requires adopting the correct mindset.

Well said, Bossam. I totally agree. All that is needed is one gets off ones butt, and take action.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
getting a higher education is fine which gear you to higher thinking but certain types of degree courses which is really a waste of time and money like psychology. I have known these people become jobless and waste of their talent.

Learning a trade skill is worth more than learning things like psychology, biology which are dead end school text book learning.

taxi driver, crane operator, sakae sushi dish washer...etc.

btw, his statement may have many other meaning. i have deduced that many young ones for the sake of getting degree, got themselves enrolled in those half past six universities to get the paper qualification. end up not doing well as a white collar worker.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if wat khaw say is true I challenge him to award psc saf and president scohlarship to non degree grad. n to appoint these ppl to super a grade civil serpents...to prove his point

razzy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, don't be taken in with these MIW's words. In reality it is quite the contrary. We should be able to read them like a book by now.

jw5

Loyal
if wat khaw say is true I challenge him to award psc saf and president scohlarship to non degree grad. n to appoint these ppl to super a grade civil serpents...to prove his point

He'll do it, I tell you. And that's because it's no skin off his nose to have a non degree holder as a president scholar or a top civil servant.
For all we know, the non degree holder may have better performance than the degree holder, but that's not the point.

If Khaw really meant what he said, then walk the talk by not letting his children go to university. Obviously, it's too late for him but let his children walk the talk for him. If he doesn't, then it's just empty humbug talk.

jw5

Loyal
Idiot! If not using monetary to gauge success them use what? Happiness Index? We're not Bhutanese in the mountain you know?

If a rich person is not happy, then what's the point of being rich?
The saying is true: Rich people may not be happy but really poor people are very seldom happy.
Bestest is to be rich and happy and also feel rich when looking at cpf statement.