• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Will SingTel keep its word on not charging consumers more?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Published October 2, 2009
c.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>SINGTEL-STARHUB TUSSLE

COMMENTARY
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Will SingTel keep its word on not charging consumers more?

By LEE U-WEN
CORRESPONDENT
<TABLE class=storyLinks border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width=136 align=right><TBODY><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Email this article</TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Print article </TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Feedback</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
BARELY 60 hours after telco giants StarHub and SingTel braced themselves for battle, it was the latter that had its arm raised as it secured the prized exclusive rights to air English Premier League matches from next August.

Many football fans were caught off-guard by the speedy conclusion of the bidding war as SingTel announced its victory early yesterday morning. Up until then, the possibility of an alliance between the two rivals was still being discussed. Fans were also busy weighing their options should one or the other, or even both, win the bid to screen 'live' games from the world's most popular football league for the next three seasons.
As the dust settles, to say that many are finding themselves in a tricky spot is an understatement. Signing up with both telcos would be the most ideal as it would give the complete package of all the different sports and other channels as well, but at what cost to the wallet?
Bear this in mind, though: SingTel also surprisingly announced that it had bagged the ESPN Star Sports channels, which include other key offerings such as the FA Cup, Formula One, the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open Golf Championship.
The message from SingTel is clear: From next year, everyone who wants to watch the vast majority of sports will have to sign up for mioTV.
Perhaps crucially, SingTel chief executive Allan Lew promised in a statement yesterday that consumers would not be charged 'more than what they are currently paying to their cable TV operator', while still enjoying the convenience of SingTel's integrated mobile, Internet and mioTV platform.
But there are many other factors to consider before one chooses to jump ship. First, there is the group who has only just signed a fresh two-year contract with StarHub primarily because of the sports channels. They now face the prospect of being football-less next year unless they sign up with SingTel too, as they are unable to break their StarHub contract due to hefty penalties.
There is another catch. Those who want to subscribe to mioTV must have a SingTel fixed line installed in their home. This would be a problem for those who have terminated their lines in recent years, preferring to use their mobile phones to communicate instead. Subscribing to a fresh fixed line for the sake of mioTV would mean paying extra for installation and monthly charges.
While SingTel claims that it has 95 per cent of residential areas covered already, it has to work faster in wiring up the rest of the country - including pubs and coffeeshops and other nightspots - to win over as many customers as possible.
Currently, the estate where I live in in the West is not mioTV-ready yet, which means I can't even enjoy the Champions League this season. The only way to catch the games is on my computer via SingTel's Football Frenzy offering, which would cost $156 a year.
Netizens, meanwhile, are all abuzz at the revelation that they might have to subscribe to both pay-TV operators. Forgoing StarHub would mean not being able to watch news channels such as BBC or CNN, entertainment stations such as Star World or AXN and premium movie channels such as HBO.
Clearly, SingTel is now putting all its eggs in one basket and banking on sports to win over a still-sceptical public. All eyes will now be on whether it remains true to its word that consumers won't have to pay more to watch sports than what they are currently forking out now.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, they will keep their promise and will not charge more per package, but they will bundle their package in such a way that you have to subscribe to a few package in order to get what you need, e.g BPL and Champions League could be in different bundle.

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
<<First, there is the group who has only just signed a fresh two-year contract with StarHub primarily because of the sports channels. They now face the prospect of being football-less next year unless they sign up with SingTel too, as they are unable to break their StarHub contract due to hefty penalties

Bloody SPH Leeporter trying to brainwash Sinkees ijnto thinking that they have no choice and to swallow this shit.

Basic contract law would dictate that a person enters a contract because they want a service or a good in return for the promise of payment in receipt and utility of the said service or good (over a specific period of time as in service providers).

For example, you have Singnet as your ISP, if they no longer can give you access to the internet should you continue paying just because you are under contract?

If the service or good is no longer available, the contract must be rescinded and the buyer can sue for non receipt of the aforementioned good or service if he has paid for it.

As in this case, Starhub can no longer ask the contracted customer to maintain and pay his bill if they cannot provide the services that he wanted as a term of his entering into the contract. Starhub is in breach of a term of the contract here!

The law is clear, if the supplier of the good or service can no longer supply it then the supplier should make it known to the buyer that it can no longer supply the good or service and void the contract for the remaining time period.

One should not be paying for something that confers no benefit to the buyer.

Sinkees should wake up and smell the coffee and stop supporting and growing the coffers of these allegedly competitive organisations. If you don't already know, these two service providers are owned by the same people!

It only looks like competition but it's not!

If the bloody Sg Attorney General has the balls and real legal background he should launch an investigation into these two companies for trying to corner the market and get their cake and eat it too. Anti-trust laws should apply and anti-competitive laws are being flouted.

Not only that, the basic laws of contract is being trampled upon and the bloody SPH is telling you you have no choice but to pay for shit TV content (on top of your $110 licence fee despite hardly watching Mediacock programmes that Starhub Cable adds in to your package, it's not like you can tell them you don't want Mediacock Channels and thus not pay the yearly $110) or face stiff penalties.

Sinkees should all just band together and take a class action suit against Starhub for it's inability to provide the services as agreed upon in it's contract.

Stay here and die like some farmed animal, leave this place and live like a human being!

Cheers,

MentisMortis

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bloody SPH Leeporter trying to brainwash Sinkees ijnto thinking that they have no choice and to swallow this shit.

Basic contract law would dictate that a person enters a contract because they want a service or a good in return for the promise of payment in receipt and utility of the said service or good (over a specific period of time as in service providers).

For example, you have Singnet as your ISP, if they no longer can give you access to the internet should you continue paying just because you are under contract?

Good point. They failed to uphold their end of the contract first. All who decide to terminate contract (terminate, not break) should be able to do so without penalty. In fact, they should pay compensation to subscribers for the inconvenience caused.

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think there's any guaranties they won't charge more. If they can't get enough viewers to switch to mioTV, they might no choice but to up the charges just to cover for the exclusive EPL rights. :(

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think there's any guaranties they won't charge more. If they can't get enough viewers to switch to mioTV, they might no choice but to up the charges just to cover for the exclusive EPL rights. :(

Hi 5,

It's an open secret that Mio TV was non profitable ever since the idea was conceived. As always, there is no competition between the 2 content providers. The bidding war was a farce.

Little brother Starhub moves aside so that Gor Gor can make up the numbers in subscribers.

Starhub will get the World Cup exclusive rights for broadcast, wanna bet?

Then you will have to pay for both even if there is no football for most parts of the rest of the contract term with Starhub. One month of pleasure 23 months of pain!

Cheers,

MM

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course they will.. just like how our PAPy promise that this is a golden era and they will leave no man behind...

Where are the beggers and homeless? Show me!
2518395012_6a2303e5c7.jpg

Fuck! Do you know this uncle has a full paid condo and 15 childrens who want to give him fucking $20k a month?

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good point. They failed to uphold their end of the contract first. All who decide to terminate contract (terminate, not break) should be able to do so without penalty. In fact, they should pay compensation to subscribers for the inconvenience caused.

Hi Rams,

Poeple just don't know what the heck they are in for. I am totally dismayed by the fact that the SPH Leeporters are saying that youhave no choice but to bear with it.

Is this responsible reporting? But then again since when has the SPH bothered about reponsible reporting.

Look at Astro's link and compare their prices even if we compare 1 for 1 dollar value it beats Starhub and Mio by miles!

http://www.astro.com.my/aboutastro/products.asp

Cheers,

MM

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi 5,

It's an open secret that Mio TV was non profitable ever since the idea was conceived. As always, there is no competition between the 2 content providers. The bidding war was a farce.

Little brother Starhub moves aside so that Gor Gor can make up the numbers in subscribers.

Starhub will get the World Cup exclusive rights for broadcast, wanna bet?

Then you will have to pay for both even if there is no football for most parts of the rest of the contract term with Starhub. One month of pleasure 23 months of pain!

Cheers,

MM

Shit! That sucks!

Maybe I'll just have to rely on my old super antenna to tune in on the World Cup action for that. :biggrin:

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shit! That sucks!

Maybe I'll just have to rely on my old super antenna to tune in on the World Cup action for that. :biggrin:

Hi 5,

If you stay in the East then you may be able to pick up the Indonesian free to air channels. when I lived in AMK we had this antennae boosters in every room that had a tv. this was before Starhumkarchan came into the picture.

We received Indo's RCTI, TVRI, SCTV, Anteve and M'sia's TV3, RTM1 and 2 and also the then TCS from Sg.

Over 12 channels of free to air. Starhub had begun jamming these signals when they wired Sg to only receive through the antennae boxes that were fitted in flats and houses.

Unless you jack in your antenna directly into your tv port then you may be able to receive the signal but if you still have your jack into the wall then I am afraid your attempt will be futile.

Like I said, live here and be treated like some farm animal or leave here and live like a human being!

Thank goodness I am only 2 weeks away from my green card!

Cheers,

MM

jw5

Loyal
Well, we shall soon see what they do, won't we?
And let's hope that we respond accordingly.

Maverick01

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all consumers wants them to charge less..not just not charging more...anyway i hope they can just offer a sports package at like $20-$30 and not force consumers to take up other packages as well..eg..sawhub sport package only is $25 which is reasonable...only thing is they force u take a basic package along as well..overall $50++...the basic package shows all craps also and online like youtube can see easily!!! its only quality sports program that I want so I dont mind paying $30 or less to get a good sports package....rest I dont need....I believe alot of sportsfan share this sentiment...frankly..who actually want those shows in the basic packages...meantime I continue watching football online..LOL

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Published October 2, 2009
c.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>SINGTEL-STARHUB TUSSLE

COMMENTARY
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Will SingTel keep its word on not charging consumers more?

By LEE U-WEN
CORRESPONDENT
<TABLE class=storyLinks border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width=136 align=right><TBODY><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Email this article</TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Print article </TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Feedback</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
BARELY 60 hours after telco giants StarHub and SingTel braced themselves for battle, it was the latter that had its arm raised as it secured the prized exclusive rights to air English Premier League matches from next August.

Many football fans were caught off-guard by the speedy conclusion of the bidding war as SingTel announced its victory early yesterday morning. Up until then, the possibility of an alliance between the two rivals was still being discussed. Fans were also busy weighing their options should one or the other, or even both, win the bid to screen 'live' games from the world's most popular football league for the next three seasons.
As the dust settles, to say that many are finding themselves in a tricky spot is an understatement. Signing up with both telcos would be the most ideal as it would give the complete package of all the different sports and other channels as well, but at what cost to the wallet?
Bear this in mind, though: SingTel also surprisingly announced that it had bagged the ESPN Star Sports channels, which include other key offerings such as the FA Cup, Formula One, the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open Golf Championship.
The message from SingTel is clear: From next year, everyone who wants to watch the vast majority of sports will have to sign up for mioTV.
Perhaps crucially, SingTel chief executive Allan Lew promised in a statement yesterday that consumers would not be charged 'more than what they are currently paying to their cable TV operator', while still enjoying the convenience of SingTel's integrated mobile, Internet and mioTV platform.
But there are many other factors to consider before one chooses to jump ship. First, there is the group who has only just signed a fresh two-year contract with StarHub primarily because of the sports channels. They now face the prospect of being football-less next year unless they sign up with SingTel too, as they are unable to break their StarHub contract due to hefty penalties.
There is another catch. Those who want to subscribe to mioTV must have a SingTel fixed line installed in their home. This would be a problem for those who have terminated their lines in recent years, preferring to use their mobile phones to communicate instead. Subscribing to a fresh fixed line for the sake of mioTV would mean paying extra for installation and monthly charges.
While SingTel claims that it has 95 per cent of residential areas covered already, it has to work faster in wiring up the rest of the country - including pubs and coffeeshops and other nightspots - to win over as many customers as possible.
Currently, the estate where I live in in the West is not mioTV-ready yet, which means I can't even enjoy the Champions League this season. The only way to catch the games is on my computer via SingTel's Football Frenzy offering, which would cost $156 a year.
Netizens, meanwhile, are all abuzz at the revelation that they might have to subscribe to both pay-TV operators. Forgoing StarHub would mean not being able to watch news channels such as BBC or CNN, entertainment stations such as Star World or AXN and premium movie channels such as HBO.
Clearly, SingTel is now putting all its eggs in one basket and banking on sports to win over a still-sceptical public. All eyes will now be on whether it remains true to its word that consumers won't have to pay more to watch sports than what they are currently forking out now.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

funglung

Alfrescian
Loyal
HOI
GO DREAM ON
THEY ALL OUT TO SCREW YOU OF YOUR $$$$ SO
LEE KUAN YEW WILL REWARD THEM WITH BONUSES WITH
SOME OF THOSE $$$$ SUCKED FROM YOU.

GO BLAME YOURSELF FOR ALLOWING ALL THAT

HOI

HOW ELSE DID BASTARD LEE KUAN YEW GOT FROM YOU ALL THAT 400-500++ BILLIONS INTO HIS TEMASICK AND GIC?

EVEN MORE HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS INTO HIS RESERVES

Sinkies got no balls
You all dare not stand with those that tried to speak for you.
SO HOW MANY TRIED TO SPEAK FOR YOU NOW?

You all dare not give money to them so that they can work for you.
SO HOW MANY CAN WORK FOR YOU NOW?

You all dare not support them publicly so that they can speak for you.
SO HOW MANY PUBLICLY SPEAK FOR YOU NOW?

You all turn your backs on those that spoke out bravely against LKY
LKY hit out at those who tried to speak for you with his kangaroo courts
You turn your backs and not support them with money and courage.

SO HOW MANY TRIED TO SPEAK FOR YOU NOW?
SO HOW MANY CAN WORK FOR YOU NOW?
SO HOW MANY PUBLICLY SPEAK FOR YOU NOW?

You let them be beaten and bankrupted because you all have no balls
NOW YOU GETTING YOUR BALLS CUT OFF FROM YOU AND YOU AND YOUR FAMILY RAPED AND FUCKED BY LEE KUAN YEW AND HIS COCKROACHES IN WHITE

Why complain now?

Your 400-500++ billions sucked and bled into LKY Temasick and GIC

And even more billions are currently sucked and bled so that LKY can use those money to bastardised and pay his kangaroo courts and running dogs to bleed even more billions from you in future

You got what you all deserved
for your lack of balls

FIND YOUR BALLS TO PUT AN END TO LKY
SUPPORT ALL WHO SPEAK AND ACT AGAINST THOSE PAPAYA BLOODSUCKER COCKROACHES
SUPPORT OPPOSITION WITH YOUR $$$ AND TIME
STAND UP TOGETHER WITH THEM

or open your legs to be further screwed by him