• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Wijeysingha - No Death Penalty for Drugs

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He and GMS will make a good buddies in the anti death penalty campaign

now...no death penalty for drugs i cannot support.

the cost of allowing drug mules / kingpins to go free after x number of years is too high.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
now...no death penalty for drugs i cannot support.

the cost of allowing drug mules / kingpins to go free after x number of years is too high.

Me too, drug-related offences are way too high in other countries. In Indonesia, 90% of the inmates are there on drug-related crimes. It's like culling, the more u get rid of them the lesser your headaches are. Obviously this is not a perfect solution but if there is a perfect way to do so we need not punish drug mules/traffickers/smugglers a long time ago :biggrin:

seebaysong

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are just ideals of an individual... Just like some individuals have no ideals like "i don't know what to say...", some have...

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you have seen the Francis Seow interview, you will understand the way the governor works.
Once caught guilty, forever will be guilty.
Yes, some are being made the scapegoat, the true mastermind is the drug lord.
We all knows. But that's not point.
The point is the FEAR factor.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really cannot see why VW is getting himself involved in this kind of cul-de-sac. There are so many more bigger issues - like Foo Meng Har, Tin Pei Ling, and he takes umbrage at the death penalty. VW came from good lineage as the son of Eugene. Where is his head? taking on drug penalty issue is going to be like an albatross around his neck. Firstly, it is too difficult and complex an issue to fight during the elections. Secondly, only the human rights and NGOs and armchair academics are bothered besides those waiting to be executed. It is also not an issue the heartlanders and the disenchanted middle class are offended by.

Vincent comes across as intelligent but I think he has joined the wrong party. He is better off with WP. Some things in life just beat me.

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
It says a lot about Singaporeans that the lives of humans are considered less important than issues surrounding a crony and an alleged adulteress. I do agree that most Singaporeans cannot be bothered about drug traffickers and even support the death penalty. But to say that the death penalty is not impt. haiz

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really cannot see why VW is getting himself involved in this kind of cul-de-sac. There are so many more bigger issues - like Foo Meng Har, Tin Pei Ling, and he takes umbrage at the death penalty. VW came from good lineage as the son of Eugene. Where is his head? taking on drug penalty issue is going to be like an albatross around his neck. Firstly, it is too difficult and complex an issue to fight during the elections. Secondly, only the human rights and NGOs and armchair academics are bothered besides those waiting to be executed. It is also not an issue the heartlanders and the disenchanted middle class are offended by.

Vincent comes across as intelligent but I think he has joined the wrong party. He is better off with WP. Some things in life just beat me.

He's engaged in social work as a professional. These are the kinds of things he supports. That's why he gravitated towards the SDP. I doubt he would ever contemplate joining WP. By making this issue so prominent, he and SDP cannot be serious in wanting to be elected, can they?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do we want this kind of people to be our MP? Does he remember all the lives destroyed for trafficking?

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/04/sdp-vincent-wijeysinghas-appeal-for-clemency-for-yong-vui-kong/

Yours truly

Bob Sim Kheng Hwee

Let's be realistic. Many illicit drugs are created to save people, but along the way, humans abuse them or are addicted to them.

Too many one-sided fear propaganda have been used to color the perception towards drugs.

Strange, no one seems to want to ban smoking, which is also a drug.

I am not saying drugs are good, I am saying that having a death penalty for drug users or trafficking is ineffective. If it is effective, we will not have this problem today.

It is just that the PAP government does not want to bear the cost of drug treatment for victims but will do business with the Burma/North Korea/Zimbabwe drug lords who are never caught.

This type of selective punishments is what I am against. Also, having a death penalty is an easy solution for a government. Taking away a human life is a big no no.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is a time and place for different things of human interest. Fighting the death penalty during the run up to a watershed General Election to me shows lack of political consciousness and ineptitude in understanding and choosing what's impt in battles. Why cant he fight the Death penalty off election time? It is not going away for sure. The issues conc Foo/Tin are not just about an adulteress and a crony. They are about an incumbent party in power with the audacity and who is insulting the electorate with their choice of candidates, and are about to shove in our faces lightweigths and charlatans into Parliament who will be paid thousands of dollars in tax payers money, just because we have become so impotent in stopping their shenanigans.

If people like VW are not standing up to defend the integrity of the political process and institutions at this opportune time when the salt is rubbed into our wounds, I dont see why voters should consider them worthy of Parliament.

Did drug traffickers consider human lives worth protecting before they were engaged in the trade? The laws have been crystal clear on the punishment for drug trafficking. There shld be no more excuses for not knowing the crime is punishable by death.

It says a lot about Singaporeans that the lives of humans are considered less important than issues surrounding a crony and an alleged adulteress. I do agree that most Singaporeans cannot be bothered about drug traffickers and even support the death penalty. But to say that the death penalty is not impt. haiz

Last edited:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I support death penalty for below crimne
1. Drug trafficking
2. Repeated offender drug user 3 times
3. Raper repaeted offender
4. Arm robbbery
5. Killer
6. Human trafficking

All above sentence them to death ASAP after prove guilty. Dont waste manpoer/food/jail cell/ tax payer money.

bryanlim1972

Alfrescian
Loyal

VW is a man of principle to stand up for his beliefs, sure it may not be the most strategically sound move, but it sets him apart from the other sycophant candidates like TPL.

my 2 cents: studies have shown the death penalty for drug trafficking has not been an effective deterrent. we've been hanging traffickers since '65, and their numbers have not decreased since.

so how effective is it to end a man's life as a solution to stop drug trafficking?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
VW is a man of principle to stand up for his beliefs, sure it may not be the most strategically sound move, but it sets him apart from the other sycophant candidates like TPL.

my 2 cents: studies have shown the death penalty for drug trafficking has not been an effective deterrent. we've been hanging traffickers since '65, and their numbers have not decreased since.

so how effective is it to end a man's life as a solution to stop drug trafficking?

I don't think its a solution at all to stop drug trafficking, but it sure helps to keep jail populations manageable :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Hear! Hear! VW is no hypocrite, he shows what he stands for regardless of whether they are popular or not to win the elections. Obviously he will fight on even if he loses this time round.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Exactly. Even NSP and RP would be better choices than SDP if for whatever reason, he chooses to avoid WP.