• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why start to raise GST from 2021?

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
:p
i simply avoid shopping at stores in sg that impose gst. almost all my barang barang can be purchased at any ah soh sundry shop. cheap cheap.
Isn't there a misunderstanding about how GST works. No one can escape GST. This is the very reason why GST is a 'better' tax system.

When there is an increase in GST rate, the cost of living will always be increased for everyone living here. The government will have an increased tax revenue by taking away spendable income from its people. This will make living harder unless the salary growth of the average person 'far outrun' that of the GST hike! I doubt it!:p

The prices of the 'ah soh shops' cannot be cheaper than that of the other shops charging GST (if cheaper, it is only the natural efficiency of the sundry shops; nothing to do with GST). The shops charging GST don't need to 'markup' their sales prices to pay for the GST; the tax could be offset exactly from the GST of their purchase invoices which could be claimed from the government. The 'ah soh shops' don't pay GST; neither could they claim any GST refunds.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gst is utterly destructive. Why the richest and not taxed the heaviest i will never get. How good a country is , veey simple. Hiw are the lowest treated? If they are paying the same taxes as the rich arseholes, then the country is fucked

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gst is utterly destructive. Why the richest and not taxed the heaviest i will never get. How good a country is , veey simple. Hiw are the lowest treated? If they are paying the same taxes as the rich arseholes, then the country is fucked
GST is only a tax mechanism. It is neither good nor evil. We invented the sword which cuts both ways. There is no way to run a country without tax, but the problem of tax is as old as the history of kings who needed money.

GST, when properly implemented, is one of the best general taxation mechanism. You can escape GST tax only through dying!:p In many silly countries, taxation may be a joke as the rich can bribe officials getting the lowest tax. So the rich gets richer and the poor - together with the whole country - gets poorer.

I know we always complain about the PAP. Lee Hsien Loong is not the Son Of God!:eek: He cannot bring the Heavenly Kingdom down for you. He runs you around running your CPF and taxing the poor through GST - the 'God-Sent-Taxation' mechanism. The poor is forced to work and labor hard just to live - Lee Hsien Loong is like your good Kung Fu master who beats you into shape!:mad:

Just look at Laos. The government sell their rivers to the Chinese who build hydroelectric dams and sent all the electric power back to China. You want the like of Laos politicians to run you down!:oops: Lee Hsien Loong and the PAP has been sent down to you through the 'Will of Heaven' to give your Great Good Fortune!:smile:

Huat Ah!:p

Note: I was wondering all the while why people here keeps using "Huat Ah" - what does it mean? Only a few days ago (2nd / 3rd day CNY) I got the clue (I am Cantonese). I was at the market and a man - Hokkien - was greeting a group of friends around a coffee shop table and I overheard "Huat Ah" - that solved the mystery!

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you are making $9.6B surplus and claim that there is not enough money for government spending and so, you have to raise GST tomorrow, you must be out of your mind.

But not when you are telling people that I have to increase expenditure by 2 to 3 fold in the next 3 years because of social spending, infrastructure , security ( it is all for you, friends ) you can justify to say that I have to do what is necessary to bring more tax revenues to fund the expenditures.

Last edited:

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
This will make living harder unless the salary growth of the average person 'far outrun' that of the GST hike! I doubt it!:p

No, it can be done, i.e., salary growth of the average person "far outruns" that of the GST hike. It depends on whether the natural aristocrats and bureaucrats have the requisite knowledge, the skill and the balls to pull it off.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know we always complain about the PAP. Lee Hsien Loong is not the Son Of God!:eek: He cannot bring the Heavenly Kingdom down for you. He runs you around running your CPF and taxing the poor through GST - the 'God-Sent-Taxation' mechanism. The poor is forced to work and labor hard just to live - Lee Hsien Loong is like your good Kung Fu master who beats you into shape!:mad:

.......Lee Hsien Loong and the PAP has been sent down to you through the 'Will of Heaven' to give your Great Good Fortune!:smile:

I like your sarcasm :p

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
But not when you are telling people that I have to increase expenditure by 2 to 3 fold in the next 3 years because of social spending, infrastructure , security ( it is all for you, friends ) you can justify to say that I have to do what is necessary to bring more tax revenues to fund the expenditures.

In actual fact the 69% of PAP suckers will accept anything Chief Natural Aristocrat dishes out as reasons for increases in GST. Do you think they will oppose if Pinky says he wishes to spend 1 billion Singapore dollars on building a mausoleum in honor of Old Fart, the one and only Founding Father who single-handedly transformed a sleepy fishing village that was Singapore into a bustling metropolis it is today?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't there a misunderstanding about how GST works. No one can escape GST. This is the very reason why GST is a 'better' tax system.

When there is an increase in GST rate, the cost of living will always be increased for everyone living here. The government will have an increased tax revenue by taking away spendable income from its people. This will make living harder unless the salary growth of the average person 'far outrun' that of the GST hike! I doubt it!:p

The prices of the 'ah soh shops' cannot be cheaper than that of the other shops charging GST (if cheaper, it is only the natural efficiency of the sundry shops; nothing to do with GST). The shops charging GST don't need to 'markup' their sales prices to pay for the GST; the tax could be offset exactly from the GST of their purchase invoices which could be claimed from the government. The 'ah soh shops' don't pay GST; neither could they claim any GST refunds.
can escape. just don’t buy stuff in sg. retail in sg should collapse, but makan will still thrive.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you are making $9.6B surplus and claim that there is not enough money for government spending and so, you have to raise GST tomorrow, you must be out of your mind.

Do you only look for toilet paper when you pung sai? Collecting more money and have strong reserves is a happy problem. :smile:

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
kpkb here and still PAP screw you. This is the mentality of old farts, especially those diaper wearing ones. Useless and a total failure. Nothing concrete is done to turn around the situation and losers here posting about how sore they are.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In actual fact the 69% of PAP suckers will accept anything Chief Natural Aristocrat dishes out as reasons for increases in GST. Do you think they will oppose if Pinky says he wishes to spend 1 billion Singapore dollars on building a mausoleum in honor of Old Fart, the one and only Founding Father who single-handedly transformed a sleepy fishing village that was Singapore into a bustling metropolis it is today?
I know of a Ling and Yang who will violently oppose and that is good enough to stop Pinky in his tracks .

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This pre-announcement about GST increasing in 5 years time simply shows how compassionate the PAP government is to the people of Singapore giving everyone ample time to prepare. PAP deserves 75% next election.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This pre-announcement about GST increasing in 5 years time simply shows how compassionate the PAP government is to the people of Singapore giving everyone ample time to prepare. PAP deserves 75% next election.
Yes! Ample time to save up on the $300 Ang Bao with interest and pay back in 5 years time.

rectmobile

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just got myself a couple of converts after the Budget2018! Teehee...
FB_IMG_1519371313985.jpg

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

The richest are taxed the heaviest because not only are they in a higher income tax bracket they also consume far more than the poor.

You can check out the figures and you'll find that in many developed countries the top 1% earners contribute between 30% to 50% of the total tax take. Singapore is no different.

https://taxfoundation.org/top-1-percent-pays-more-taxes-bottom-90-percent

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/...nd-top-10-percent-pay-533-percent-all-federal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pay-2020-rise-personal-allowance-12-500.html

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
You forget to mention the uniquely sinkieland exemptions. And do they pay as much taX as a premier league footballer? I dont think so.