• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why PAPee Cannot Tolerate Cheap & Good Food?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Due to INSATIABLE GREED?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Farewell, Labrador Villa Food Centre
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>It closes after 37 years to make way for future redevelopment </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Ang Yiying
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_AYYFOOD02.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Madam Cheng expects to be sleepless for a month or two after the popular food centre's closure. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->MADAM Cheng Ah Tee has spent the past 37 years serving coffee from a drinks stall at the Labrador Villa Food Centre.
But that came to an end on Sunday when the run-down hawker centre near the corner of Alexandra and Pasir Panjang roads served its last meal.
The institution, popular for what patrons call its cheap food and old-world charm, has been closed to make way for 'future redevelopment', said a National Environment Agency spokesman.
Other sources say it is making way for the Labrador Park MRT Station, which is due to open in 2010 or later.
Speaking in Mandarin, Madam Cheng, 65, the longest-staying tenant, said: 'I definitely won't be able to sleep for at least a month or two.'
While watching movers cart away the refrigerator from her stall, she added: 'It is really very good here. For over 30 years, there has never been any quarrels.'
The 37-year-old food centre had just 10 stalls, but it was popular with local workers. On the haunt's last day, regulars turned up in droves for a last taste of their favourite dishes and to snap photos of the place and the stall owners.
Some said earlier they were drawn to it because of its rustic look.
'Where else would you see wooden planks being used to shutter up stalls at closing time, wire mesh used as ceilings and bamboo sheets as protection from the rain?' said one patron who only wanted to be known as Mr Meldi.
When The Straits Times visited Labrador Villa Food Centre at noon yesterday, five of the 10 stalls were boarded up and the tenants of the remaining stalls were busy packing their things. Pots, plates, bowls and cutlery covered the tabletops.
Old-timers at the food centre said they were reluctant to leave.
Madam Hajjah Sa'diah Abdul Rahman, 56, was dabbing her eyes with tissue before sitting down to sort through letters in front of her 16-year-old stall, which sold Malay dishes and snacks.
'Sayang, sayang,' she said about the loss of the food centre, repeating the Malay word for 'love'.
Another tenant, Mr K. Manokaran, 45, who runs the other drinks stall there, has fond memories of the place dating back more than 30 years.
'My school was very nearby, so I came by to help my mother,' he said.
Some tenants are unsure if they would continue with their business. Others are still hunting for a new location. It would, however, be difficult to find an equally good location at the same rent, tenants said.
[email protected] Additional reporting by Aw Cheng Wei

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Learn to cook and eat at home lar. Wtf are Sinkees so lazy? Complain complain.. would u rather have a state of emergency like in Bangkok. Sinkees have it too good for too long. Look we need FTs to clean up after us. The PAP should take off the kiddy gloves and teach these SOBs sinkees a good hard lesson.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do you eat at home when you are at work? Do you own a private helicopter?

Once a lazy bum always a lazy bum. Eg: Folks in London pack lunch to work coz its expensive to eat out. Use your brains lar. You expect the PAP to spoonfeed you? How pathetic.

banova888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once a lazy bum always a lazy bum. Eg: Folks in London pack lunch to work coz its expensive to eat out. Use your brains lar. You expect the PAP to spoonfeed you? How pathetic.

Do you pack your own lunch? What do you eat for lunch everyday?

Refering to the first post, I don't expect PAP to spoonfeed me; but I expect PAP to deliver a new renovated air con hawker centre, with food costing at least 3 times more.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you pack your own lunch? What do you eat for lunch everyday?

Refering to the first post, I don't expect PAP to spoonfeed me; but I expect PAP to deliver a new renovated air con hawker centre, with food costing at least 3 times more.

Grilled chicken breast and some veggies. I try to most days. Get a microwavable plastic container. Less that 3 bucks.

By all means get your airconditioned food center but dun complain about PAP or prices please. Blame yourself when u do not have enought to make ends meet. what's that term sinkee chinkees use? ahhh KPKB. dun do that here pls.. its pathetic.

banova888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grilled chicken breast and some veggies. I try to most days. Get a microwavable plastic container. Less that 3 bucks.

By all means get your airconditioned food center but dun complain about PAP or prices please. Blame yourself when u do not have enought to make ends meet. what's that term sinkee chinkees use? ahhh KPKB. dun do that here pls.. its pathetic.

You are right. Singaporeans always overspend. PAP has always told us to buy the flats we can afford. But Singaporeans want to buy big flats and then can't make ends meet. In order to compete with foreign workers, Singaporeans must learn to live like them.:rolleyes:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i agree that PAP should redevelop these place, because to me, they look too dirty. the food is great and cheap maybe, but the place is disgusting.

without using the law, they cannot be force to upgrade.

the downside is that these people might quit and the people who replace them , know nuts about cooking.

Yes, i agree with PAP about redevelopment, i rather hate that these people are gone. PAP should help, those some form of subsidy, they should let people invest in new store, but hire these old hawker to cook. like a big investment company that invest in such store, with the help of gov.

there used to be a small hawker that was force to renew, i used to love the food there, then the old people quit and new people take over, they know nuts about cooking. soon business so bad, these new people quit too, now, it is a basically died place. PAP kill them.

sad......................

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are right. Singaporeans always overspend. PAP has always told us to buy the flats we can afford. But Singaporeans want to buy big flats and then can't make ends meet. In order to compete with foreign workers, Singaporeans must learn to live like them.:rolleyes:

Learn to live within your means. :-)