• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

why no one thought of moving to big red dot ?

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal
a subway station near my house have a umbrella cupboard which alot of kind soul japanese left their umbrella for ppl who need it ( pick and go , no need to infor anyone ) ..free of charge . amazingly those people who borrow those umbrella have always return it to the same place after use ..if its in another country , those umbrella would have gone long time ...
this is a truly first world country with gracious behaviour. I agree that Japan's society, it's people and culture, is in a class of their own.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats amazing. Good to know about details like that. It helps to build the picture.

a subway station near my house have a umbrella cupboard which alot of kind soul japanese left their umbrella for ppl who need it ( pick and go , no need to infor anyone ) ..free of charge . amazingly those people who borrow those umbrella have always return it to the same place after use ..if its in another country , those umbrella would have gone long time ...

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Thats amazing. Good to know about details like that. It helps to build the picture.

most japanese love to follow rules ...even when crossing a one lane road with no car and the traffic is red in colour ..they dont even dare to jaywalk . but strangely , when night falls....all hell break lose ...you can see a lot of drunken man on the street , on the train ( especially taking the last train ride ) .tokyo in the day time is totally different from night :biggrin:.

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please lah, if Sporeans can't survive in Sg, how on earth can they survive in Japan (esp tokyo) which is a lot more competitive, fast pace, efficient, expensive then red dot.

Sporeans teaching English in Japan is a joke.... Sporeans can't master any language well is a fact and well known to most foreigners i know.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
..Sporeans teaching English in Japan is a joke....
Even if the sporean's standard is not called to question, and very well qualified to teach... the japs (as in korea) plump for 'native speakers'. There lies the problem, if language standard was only skin deep.:p
neddy said:
Some say the Jap has the perfect welfare system as well, but it need the overhaul which other welfare states like the UK and Australia have underwent, in order to stay relevant.
In private sector, subject to vagaries of employer's reserve on balance sheeet. Not unless it's gone the way of private pension funds (as sin more established firms).
drifter said:
..but one thing about japan is that many company still hire older workers
Seniority ranks high in more traditional businesses.

Last edited:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Please lah, if Sporeans can't survive in Sg, how on earth can they survive in Japan (esp tokyo) which is a lot more competitive, fast pace, efficient, expensive then red dot.

Sporeans teaching English in Japan is a joke.... Sporeans can't master any language well is a fact and well known to most foreigners i know.

i can"t eat " smelly tofu " doest not mean i hate durain . when i was staying in singapore , i always find that im a loser compare to my friends , but now i live comfortable in tokyo better then the same group of friend s . so whats your view on that ? :smile:

yes , tokyo might be efficient , competitive or even fast pace to some of you here ..but for me , tokyo bring out the best in me . One thing for sure , we have many business opportunities here , the goverment here dont have so much rules for business . take e-cigarette for example , can we sell that in singapore ? no . can we sell that in tokyo ? yes , we can . Is there a shop selling reptiles in singapore ? no .But there are plenty of pet shop selling reptiles here......ect .

yes , i do agreed that some japanese prefer angmo to teach english . but there are also many japanese dont feel comfortable with angmo .thats why you can see many asian ppl teaching english here .

hope you could take a trip to tokyo ....not just as a tourist , but open up your mind and think like a japanese when you are here . if you really want to set up business in japan , you have to think like them ..learn their culture and habbits . do you know why o chang kee curry puff business fail in japan ? because they did not do enough research about their culture and habbits . japanese dont walk and eat or drink at the same time like singaporean do . :biggrin:

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiya, I been to tokyo many times for business trips. I also knew someone in my ex-company(sporean) was married to a Japanese and based in Japan now.

Honesty, if u don't know the Japanese language, it can be really a challenge as most Japanese little English. Especially if u are a Asian, the Japs can't really tell if you are a local, unlike the Angmors. I really don't mind working there if there's opportunities but its just a very expensive city to live in. A lot of Japs are overworked, any many have depressions. My Japanese colleague used to work till 9pm on average everyday and even come back over the weekend to catchup with his work. There's a little social life and thats why once they get used to living in the western culture, they wouldn't survive there anymore. A Japanese girl once told me after pass age 30, a Japan woman has little chance landing a job as they would assuming the girl will settle down , be a housewife and looking after kids.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Aiya, I been to tokyo many times for business trips. I also knew someone in my ex-company(sporean) was married to a Japanese and based in Japan now.

Honesty, if u don't know the Japanese language, it can be really a challenge as most Japanese little English. Especially if u are a Asian, the Japs can't really tell if you are a local, unlike the Angmors. I really don't mind working there if there's opportunities but its just a very expensive city to live in. A lot of Japs are overworked, any many have depressions. My Japanese colleague used to work till 9pm on average everyday and even come back over the weekend to catchup with his work. There's a little social life and thats why once they get used to living in the western culture, they wouldn't survive there anymore. A Japanese girl once told me after pass age 30, a Japan woman has little chance landing a job as they would assuming the girl will settle down , be a housewife and looking after kids.

of course able to speak their language are very important ..this apply to everywhere you go in the world . yes , i do agreed that working in japanese company are very stressful , but there are also many angmo company in tokyo . working in traditional japanese company you have to go drinking session with your company ppl ...no matter what . we call it creating bonds with the company . sometimes its very difficult to turn down those invitation .

yes, woman pass the age of 30 will be difficult to work , but that was the past ..nowsaday a lot of company hire older woman . my advice here , if you want to work in tokyo ...chose a angmo company , or start your own business .

IWC2006

Alfrescian
Loyal
of course able to speak their language are very important ..this apply to everywhere you go in the world . yes , i do agreed that working in japanese company are very stressful , but there are also many angmo company in tokyo . working in traditional japanese company you have to go drinking session with your company ppl ...no matter what . we call it creating bonds with the company . sometimes its very difficult to turn down those invitation ]

Huh..why does it apply to everywhere u go in the world? Japan has a very niche culture, unlike China where a lot of Chinese are striving to pick up English in the major cities; I don't think the Japs are making effort to learn English. Thus, language barrier could be an issue as everywhere u go, the signboards are all in Japanese. Of course, once u are there, u will be forced to pick up the language.

"
yes, woman pass the age of 30 will be difficult to work , but that was the past ..nowsaday a lot of company hire older woman . my advice here , if you want to work in tokyo ...chose a angmo company , or start your own business .

Aiya the firm I used to work is a MNC angmor firm, that doesn't mean the Japs working in AngMore firms are more slack. I think they work equally hard, but they don't have a lot of social outings unlike the Jap firms. I remembered my last trip there, we were running workshops after 8pm on Friday night because they were so busy with their BAU work during office hrs. Japs are a bunch of very hardworking people, but sometimes it can be quite scary as they spend very little time socially outside of their work hours. They are a bit like the Germans, very efficient, very systematic, very process-driven (thats why they are so good with engineering) but also a bit robotic.

I agreed getting the Japan experience is a unique & rewarding experience, but to stay and live there long term is a different story..your spouse is Jap, of course naturally is easier for u to blend in... btw, I am working in sydney (financial industry), certainly not bed of roses and pretty hectic at times, but nothing compare to the Japs, most people here finish work early and has a better balanced lifestyle.