• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

2 h ·

https://www.facebook.com/ChuaKhengW...dTHEyV-Ujx5Bf5IfKlwqlXtXhZg0c&__tn__=<<,P-y-R

Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威 is at 般若念佛堂 PUAT JIT BUDDHIST TEMPLE.​

3 h · Singapore ·
很荣幸能与盛港般若念佛堂的信徒一起庆祝卫塞节。祝所有佛教徒卫塞节快乐!
1f64f.png
1fab7.png

He Ting Ru 何廷儒 and I were honoured to join devotees and the management team of 般若念佛堂 PUAT JIT BUDDHIST TEMPLE in celebrating Vesak Day today. Wishing all Buddhist family and friends a happy Vesak Day!
1f64f.png
1fab7.png

#SengkangGRC #TeamSengkang #VesakDay
P.S. Jamus Lim is abroad on a work trip and sends his regards!

jw5

Loyal
Jamus asks you to consider popping by. :o-o::confused::tongue:

Jamus Lim

24 May at 05:41 ·
#Anchorvale Village is the newest addition to the expanding array of food options available in #SengkangGRC. At the moment, the development already has restaurants and retail—including a Fairprice supermarket—operating, while a 30+ stall hawker center is expected to open by June or July. Here’s a quick walkthrough, filmed when #TeamSengkang was there last weekend, soaking in the atmosphere at the official opening. Whether you’re a resident or not, do consider popping by!
Postscript: I’ve been alerted that I misspoke the name of the nearby community club, which should be Anchorvale, not Sengkang, CC. Given how opposition MPs aren’t generally invited to hallowed CC grounds, it was the sort of mistake I’m not surprised I made. Nevertheless, I hope you’ll forgive my oversight, and head down to Village regardless.

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

·
May be a black-and-white image of 2 people, people performing martial arts and text that says 重 修 아수 森 Vote Workers 'P UTURE WER க்தியில் ககாலம் சலம்

https://www.facebook.com/hetingru?_...78hwnqHxW2r-VgPR-Bi1vd_bKp9yA&__tn__=<<,P-y-R

He Ting Ru 何廷儒

·
Uncle Ee Ping’s passing today is felt strongly by all of us. He joined The Workers' Party in 1959, and had a front row seat through many key moments, from being 1 of just 5 remaining WP members, to winning seats in national elections from the 1990s onwards.
Although his health was ailing in recent years, he kept up a keen interest in our work. Sometimes he would drop by to see us when we were in our constituencies, even at the height of the pandemic, to make sure that we were serving our residents respectfully.
During our visit to him earlier this month, Uncle Ee Ping was in pain and tired, but his mind remained wonderfully sharp, as he questioned Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威, Jamus Lim and myself about the latest happenings on the ground. As ever, he was very keen and happy to see and hear of younger Singaporeans stepping up to volunteer, and it brought him great joy and comfort to be visited by various party members and old friends.
His gentle, constant presence will be sorely missed.
“And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.” — Ecclesiastes 12:7

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

18h ·
#Anchorvale Village, an integrated development that includes restaurants, commercial facilities, and a hawker center, will gradually come into operation in the months ahead. This is an immense relief for many #SengkangGRC residents, who face a dearth of food options. The issue goes beyond choice. When there is insufficient competition, prices inevitably rise. We’ve conducted surveys of food prices in the town, and found them to be, on average, 50 cents more expensive than in mature estates, where coffeeshops and hawker centers are more commonplace. This isn’t an affliction for just Sengkang, of course. The HDB model for newer estates clusters coffeeshops and other retail in designated commercial zones. While this reduces disamenities (like noise and pests), it also comes at the cost of reduced options.
One way to contain the rate of increase in prices is to control rent. I’ve previously spoken about how second-price auctions—where the winner pays the second-highest bid, like what happens on eBay—is one way that runaway prices may be potentially contained. But another, more direct, way is for the government to get involved as the landlord. We see this in many hawker centers, where the government exercises a greater say in rental prices at NEA-run hawker centers. This, in turn, translates into a more controlled increase in rental rates, since the government can take public concerns—like the importance of affordable food for lower-income residents—seriously when choosing to deviate from market rents.
Indeed, HDB had already ceased selling coffeeshops to private owners since 1998, and consequently, these HDB-run coffeeshops held rents steady over the past 5 years. This is precisely the sort of rationalization we need. The natural next step is for HDB to take back control of the remaining half of coffeeshops that have been sold, either by not renewing these outsourced leases when they expire, or by buying back the leases outright.
But rent is only part of the equation. The Budget Meal model, which the government has hung its hat on as a means of keeping food costs down, is still relatively limited. Many coffeeshops only offer a small handful of plan-vanilla options. Eating fishball noodles or 2 veg-1 meat caipng, and drinking kopi or teh-O every day can quickly get boring. To promote more offerings, the tender system for coffeeshop operators can incrementally increase the weight on bidders that offer more budget options. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is impressed by Iok Hian. :thumbsup:

Jamus Lim

2 June at 01:11 ·
Last evening’s #RiverRun, held in the wake of afternoon showers, was cooler than usual. We saw faces new and old, but I was especially pleased to have #Buangkok resident, Iok Hian, join us again.
Iok Hian—who goes by the handle @skep_observer—first came to our Saturday runs last year. At the time, he was (as he professed) not that fit, and was trying to build his stamina. As I recall, despite his relative inexperience, he bravely ran with the longer-distance group. He would alternate between jogging and walking, but he nonetheless pushed through. We would see him over the following months, and he steadily built his way toward longer, uninterrupted spurts.
Now, a full year later, Iok Hian’s fitness is at a whole different level. He told me that he works out a few times a week, and yesterday, he hardly broke a sweat, even though he was comfortably leading the pack. His story is a testimony to how steady, incremental effort can help us achieve our goals. And the inspiration he got from being part of a group that wished to see him succeed is exactly the sort of spirit that we hoped to foster at #RiverRun.
Postscript: My recent snafu where I had mislabeled #Anchorvale CC as Sengkang (as had Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威 in an earlier post) had some netizens up in arms, claiming that it somehow suggested that we were unfamiliar with our wards. We would rather our residents of #SengkangGRC be the judge of that. But one thing’s for sure: we only get better if we recognize, and learn, from our mistakes. You can be sure that neither of us will be referring to S̶e̶n̶g̶k̶a̶n̶g̶ Anchorvale CC incorrectly again!

jw5

Loyal
Jamus chats with residents. :cool:

Jamus Lim

·
Over the past few weeks, #TeamSengkang worked our way through 351B, 355A, and 334C #Anchorvale. We also threw in visits to the 303 coffeeshop and the newly-opened 339 Village, over different weekends.
One recurring pain point that many have shared has to do with the price of HDB flats. #SengkangGRC has not been exempt from this, with reports of million-dollar apartments on the market. While these examples are undeniably outliers, they do more than color perceptions of rising costs of living. They are, rather, symptomatic of deeper concerns Singaporeans have about the affordability of our homes.
Parliament has debated this matter on several occasions over the past few years. The position of the government is that incomes have kept pace with home prices, once grants for BTOs are taken into account. The #workersparty position, in contrast, is that our public housing is increasingly unaffordable, raising fears that young Singaporeans may be left out in the cold (or the heat and rain, as the case may be) when it comes to shelter.
What explains this difference? If one looks at the house price-to-household income (HPIR) ratio—a pretty standard metric of affordability—Singapore’s hovers around 4 (it has risen somewhat in recent times, but it’s in the ballpark). But why we differ in our beliefs about affordability is important to understand.
For starters, our take on the HPIR is classified by neutral observers—such as the Demographia Index of Housing Affordability (http://www.demographia.com/dhi.pdf)—as “severely unaffordable.” Taking first-timer grants into account may soften this somewhat, but this only gets us to being “seriously unaffordable.” It’s hard to shake the reality that homes here are unaffordable; putzing around with subsidies only makes things less bad.
Furthermore, household income here almost always corresponds to a two-income household (we have among the highest female labor force participation rates worldwide). So, while families in other countries are able to make ends meet with one breadwinner (or two, but with one working part-time or taking time off for maternity or care for kids or parents), that’s almost impossible here. The need to take on work also adds to expenses, such as childcare fees, or pay for a domestic helper.
And unlike elsewhere, Singapore has no hinterland to move to, for those who may prefer lower housing costs at the price of greater inconvenience. Even what some may consider to be ulu neighborhoods now boast HDB resale prices that are eyewateringly high by global standards for large cities, which basically means little respite for those who have no choice but to live within our nation’s borders.
Finally, let’s not forget that what folks are paying for in an extended lease, with transfer rights. While some may view this as interchangeable with a real estate asset, the reality is that what one pays for will eventually (and inevitably) depreciate, and expire worthless at the end-of-lease. So while a house in other expensive global cities may even appreciate in the long run and become an asset that can be passed down to future generations, this is not the case with our HDB units.
For these reasons, we think that the HPIR should be closer to 3 (what the index regards as “affordable”), which would go a long way toward easing the burden of starting a home. This is especially so for many young Singaporeans, who often feel priced out of the market, right at the point of graduation. This has implications not only for their cost of living, but also gives rise to undesirable consequences, such as postponing the age where they settle down and start a family, or how rooted they feel to their home country. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus has a burger. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

Yesterday at 00:35 ·
Sometimes, what you need is simply a greasy burger. This one was made with as a Beyond patty, which we found hanging out in the freezer (we personally prefer the taste of Impossible, however). Our favorite combination then tops the patty with sharp cheddar—while it doesn’t melt as well as American cheese, it adds a nice piquancy—and balances it off with the sweetness of grilled onions. We round up the toppings with a condiment mix of mayo, a fried egg, and arugula (the veggies lend a bitterness that completes the suite of flavors). We usually also lightly toast the wholewheat buns, just to give them additional smokiness and texture.
Our family tries to prepare reasonably healthy meals, but every now and then, I think that it’s important to have small indulgences. Even those who are following a strict diet know that there are “cheat days” worked in. Ultimately, what’s important is that we are able to sustain a diet (or an exercise program, or any sort of practice or habit) over the long run. For humans, that means occasional time off.
So if you’ve been stressing out about a failure to maintain strict discipline with something lately, don’t lose heart. Know that the time off would have been necessary to help you keep at it, and just go ahead and pick up where you left off. Whether it’s a project at work, or a subject of study, or even a diet that may have slipped due to a burger (or two or three), I hope you’ll return to it, after a little break.
May be an image of poached egg, egg yolk and burger

jw5

Loyal
Jamus never regretted the decision to study in the USA. :cool:

Jamus Lim

9 June at 19:55 ·
I left for my doctoral studies in the United States a week after September 11, 2001 (my flight, originally scheduled for Sep 12, was cancelled as I, along with millions across the globe, watched with horror at the attacks on the World Trade Center). I won’t lie; my family was fearful, but I reassured them that, if anything, the post-attack period was probably the safest time to fly. Nevertheless, there were residual concerns, and I had to learn how to navigate an environment that isn’t as safe as it is in Singapore (we are often noobs when it comes to situational awareness).
But I didn’t allow those events to lead me to second-guess the overall wisdom of pursuing my studies in California. At the time, the department at Santa Cruz was top-10 in my chosen subfield, international finance. I could have opted for somewhere “safer,” like the UK or Switzerland, where I had received offers. But I knew deep down that the best decision was to head Stateside, and so that’s what I did.
And I never regretted the decision. Not only did I receive an excellent education, I met wonderful people—including my best friend and American host family—and also learned a great deal about living: in pursuit of a balance between work and play, thinking in the short versus long term, and about philosophies of life and society. And, of course, about when to play it safe versus when to take a calculated risk.
Hence, it was with some disappointment that I read that some students with acceptances at fantastic universities in the U.S. chose to forgo these opportunities, because they felt that excess exposure to protests could be detrimental to their studies. Now, if the choice was because they genuinely felt that staying here was a better one—perhaps they like the faculty here more, or wish to stay closer to home, or think that they’ll thrive better when not homesick—then more power to them. But if the decision was because of some fear of random protests that only involve a tiny minority of the student body, then I think something is lost.
More generally, how can we expect to raise a generation of entrepreneurs and innovators and creators—who are risk-takers, almost by definition—if we don’t even want their education to confront some potential for disruption? We have to stop being content with coloring within the lines and excelling at reproducing received knowledge, but feel the courage to challenge existing norms and the status quo. That’s how one will really make a mark, whether it is in the arts, science, or business.
May be an image of 3 people and text that says THESTRAITSTIMES THE STRAITS TIMES Some Singapore students decide against going to elite US colleges over campus protests ข UdLA GO BRU BRUINSI INSI ゆ 乐

jw5

Loyal
Jamus went on an estate walk. :cool:

Jamus Lim

·
Over the weekend, our #TeamSengkang estate walk and coffeeshop visit took us to #Compassvale, where we covered the Garden cluster, along with the 289 coffeeshop.
One resident we met was a returning Singaporean. He had studied abroad, but was coming back to pursue his career (as a doctor). Given the continued need our nation has for medical professionals, I was certainly happy to hear that he had chosen to work here.
All those who have studied or worked abroad will, at some stage, have to confront the question of whether to return to our shores. Right after graduation, I had chosen to remain abroad. The opportunities for PhD-trained economists were still very limited in Singapore (they still are, but getting better), and I felt that there were significant benefits to being exposed to different ways of working and living. As a result, I got to see firsthand how things worked elsewhere, which helped me better understand the pluses and minuses of the system here.
More generally, I’ve always felt that Singaporeans can benefit from experience away from home. This applies with equal force to “traditional” countries for such stints—like those in Western Europe, North America, Australasia or Northeast Asia—but also those that are more off the beaten path, such as the Middle East or Southeast Asia. I feel especially strongly about time spent in this region, not only because it is a burgeoning and vibrant part of the world, but also because I’m convinced that our economic future lies in our near abroad. We will all be better citizens, managers, and investors when we forge our nation’s identity in a manner that is closely tied to those of our immediate neighbors. #SengkangGRC