• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Why Jamus Lim join Workers' Party ?

jw5

Loyal
Jamus hosted cleaners. :cool:

Jamus Lim

21 April at 11:06 ·
It’s been some time since we last hosted our hardworking cleaners and conservancy workers at the estate, so last Friday, #TeamSengkang gathered the teams from #Anchorvale and #Compassvale for a nasi lemak buffet. We were also able to hand out some tubes of sunblock, courtesy of a kind donor. It was a time of gratitude and fellowship, and, as always, I’m immensely thankful for the unceasing efforts these dudes put in, on a daily and often nightly basis, to keep #SengkangGRC clean.
Postscript: Perhaps a testimony to how hard these guys work is that, for the first time in a buffet, we ran out of rice (we had two large trays), even as we had leftover food. In previous rounds, we had usually ordered biryanis, and I always thought that the massive mounds in each packet would go unfinished. Now I know better!

jw5

Loyal
Jamus thanks volunteers. :smile:

Jamus Lim

3 d ·
Last weekend, we celebrated our #SengkangGRC Hari Raya carnival, at the #Rivervale division. While this occurred a week or so after Puasa itself, I’ve heard more than once that since Ramadan lasts a whole month, surely the subsequent Eid should likewise be celebrated for a month, no?
Regardless of whether one takes this seriously, it was a wonderful time for cross-cultural sharing, where booths at the carnival included those for ketupat weaving, kompang drumming, and henna art. We also got to learn a few silat moves, along with some raya songs.
Thanks to all our #TeamSengkang volunteers for their help with manning the stations, donors for ensuring that everyone could enjoy some kueh raya, align with our community partners, such as kmbtt wakjai and our always-enthusiastic host, Lissa, all of whom helped pull the various threads of the event together.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus wrote the book that he wanted to read. :o-o::confused::roflmao:

Jamus Lim

3 d ·
When I first returned to Singapore and started teaching at ESSEC Business School, the flagship course I was expected to carry was one entitled “Asian Economies.” This was meant to be a rigorous introduction to macroeconomics, in the regional context.
At the time, there simply wasn’t a single textbook that covered the range of countries I hoped students would be exposed to. Books on the economies of China or India or Japan were (perhaps rightly) focused on only those countries, and texts that covered regions would be limited to those of Southeast, Central, or West Asia (often known as the Middle East).
I’ve since filled the gap, by writing the book that I wanted to read. It fills all the niches that I found nagging: a clear Asian perspective, a strong empirical bent (but informed by the latest theory), an approach that takes history, geography, politics, and institutions seriously, and attention to prospects, not just retrospect. Its published by Wiley, and you can get copies from local bookstores, as well as order it online: https://amzn.asia/d/9zDc5CL

jw5

Loyal
Jamus joined #TeamSengkang representatives Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威 and He Ting Ru 何廷儒 for an after-hours demonstration of a new track intrusion system. :cool:

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
The dual-looped LRT tracks that run through #SengkangGRC are one of the distinguishing features of the town. While the trains aren’t a perfect substitute for public transport by buses, they are nevertheless heavily used by our residents, for both work and play. This makes the smooth, safe, and reliable operation of the system important.
We have routinely received feedback on how Sengkang’s system may be improved, and have done our best to channel these concerns to the appropriate authorities. These range from observed cracks on the concrete tracking, to the frequency of services, to noise levels when trains are run late at night. Most recently, #TeamSengkang had even sent several survey teams to record data in usage patterns, so that we may offer informed suggestions on rush-hour scheduling (FWIW, we found that the inner counterclockwise route of the West loop tends to be more heavily-used than the clockwise outer loop, which leaves more passengers stranded when single-car trains are deployed during the morning rush hour).
Last Friday night (or more precisely, early Saturday morning), I joined #TeamSengkang representatives Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威 and He Ting Ru 何廷儒 for an after-hours demonstration of a new track intrusion system. The #AI powered monitoring is meant to provide additional information to control station operators, which allows them to both better cater to riders with needs at the platform (such as those on wheelchairs), as well as improve safety on the tracks (should either people or large objects inadvertently fall onto them). While accidents can never be completely eliminated, the improvement should go a long way toward improving the overall safety environment at the LRT stations.
Postscript: As shared above, the rush-hour crunch continues to bother our resident riders. Good news is, the trains are already on back order, with the first deliveries scheduled for the end of this year, with more to arrive next year. This will permit SBS to gradually ramp up to a fully two-car service during rush hour over time, as many have hoped to see.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus was truly heartened. :x3::inlove::geek:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
I was truly heartened this past Saturday morning to see a large contingent of residents join #TeamSengkang for our #SaveTheEarth litter picking exercise at #Compassvale Cape.
The group included many families. Many parents I spoke to explained the importance of instilling community spiritedness and conservation from a young age, which motivated a lot of them to bring their young children along. Indeed, while they learn such concepts during national education in school, nothing really substitutes for getting one’s hands (literally) dirty, and doing the work yourself.
In addition to the kids, one of the residents who joined us was a British man who had married a local lady. He had wanted to gain greater exposure to others in the neighborhood—and what better way than to do so with other civic-minded residents?—while also experiencing firsthand the work behind the scenes that kept our nation’s reputation for being a clean and green city.
Our #SaveTheEarth litter-picking exercises at #SengkangGRC occur every quarter, so we look forward to seeing many of you there for the next one!

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

1 d ·

The Workers' Party

1 d ·

Labour Day this year comes at a time when change is on the horizon. Mr Lee Hsien Loong has announced he will be handing over the prime ministership to Mr Lawrence Wong on 15 May 2024.

It comes at a time when the world is tilting in a worrying direction. The situation in the Middle East is extremely tense and fluid. Any action — intentional or accidental — could lead to a devastating regional conflict. Navigating the on-going China-US rivalry amidst an increasingly contentious and increasingly closed global order remains challenging for a small and multi-racial country like ours.
Domestically, the economy is experiencing slow growth with elevated inflation — presenting Singaporeans with a double whammy of concerns for both employment, and costs of living and doing business. Most economists polled in a Bloomberg survey have said that the new Prime Minister will need to make fighting inflation his top priority after taking office.
:
Although the unemployment rate remains low, many Singaporeans still feel the bitter edge of change in the economy and the job market. NTUC's annual Survey on Economic Sentiments found that almost 40% of Singaporean workers are worried that they would lose their jobs in the next three months, compared to just 25% in last year’s survey.
But is it only about worker’s concerns over jobs, or something else?

Singaporean workers may have become pessimistic even with full employment because the news cycle in 2024 so far has been about cost cutting by companies leading to retrenchments and even complete closure and relocation to regional countries by some businesses.
If large companies and multinational corporations (MNCs) with deep pockets are finding it unsustainable to operate in Singapore due to the cost of doing business here, SMEs will be feeling more pressure. A survey of 605 SMEs by insurance provider QBE Insurance found that 50% of Singapore’s SMEs surveyed cited increased costs and reduced profitability as a top business challenge in 2024. This is on top of their concerns in the 2023 survey regarding rising inflation, rising energy prices and the increase in GST.
We have also been reading about micro-businesses in F&B such as hawkers that have closed down, adding to other recent high-profile closures in what restaurateurs widely declare is shaping up to be a “tough 2024”.
The Workers’ Party shares their concern that the cost of doing business in Singapore has become a significant pressure point, made worse by the increase in the GST rate to 9% and persistently high interest rates in 2024. We have urged the government to give SMEs more support in non-wage areas ranging from subsidies for talent and acquisition schemes, international expansion, rental assistance or rental support, streamlining grant application process to providing grants on a cash-basis rather than on reimbursement. By helping SMEs with the non-wage costs of doing business, we hope they may continue to drive entrepreneurship and innovation, operate and employ over 70% of the total labour force, and pay competitive wages for our workers.

Faced with high business operating costs, should job losses occur, the Workers’ Party has advanced calls for better protection and stronger safeguard of workers’ interests, chiefly by introducing a Redundancy Insurance Scheme. We also want the government to better effect re-skilling and skills transfer from foreign professionals to Singaporeans, to prepare them for a more competitive and demanding work environment ahead.
To this end, Workers’ Party Members of Parliament delivered 14 speeches during the recent Committee of Supply debate on the Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) budget — the most we devoted to any Ministry. We spoke about mandating retrenchment benefits for workmen and employees covered by Part 4 of the Employment Act; banning non-competes in employment contracts of low- and mid-level employees; and protecting workers’ interests by preventing predatory employment contracts. We further urged MOM to work more closely with MOE and other agencies, like SkillsFuture Singapore, to systematically nudge Singaporeans into the occupations and sectors with training opportunities to re-skill and secure employment. Moreover, we said that reasonable accommodations for Persons with Disabilities should be included in the upcoming Workplace Fairness Legislation.
The Workers’ Party has also spoken about specific issues facing worker health and safety that affect workers’ ability to do their jobs properly. Understaffing and overwork of healthcare workers is one. Working conditions such as not being able to sit at retail shops remain to be addressed.

Singapore enters a new chapter ahead, there is hope things may be done differently.
One thing is clear: Come what may, the Workers’ Party will continue to reflect the concerns of workers’ and SMEs’, raise issues of sustainable growth and advocate for labour policy legislation for the benefit of all Singaporeans.
I wish all Singaporean workers a Happy Labour Day!

Leader of the Opposition &
Secretary-General, The Workers’ Party
#wpsg #makeyourvotecount #MayDay2024

jw5

Loyal
Jamus attended a rally. :wink:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
Yesterday was Labor Day, and Gerald Giam 严燕松 and I attended a rally at Hong Lim Park, organized by Workers Make Possible. The weather held up, despite threatening to rain, and attendees enjoyed a mix of speeches, music, and crowd chants.
There was a larger rally that morning, under the auspices of the NTUC. Despite its size, I felt that the rally was incomplete. It is important to listen to perspectives from all sides, and that includes the voices of workers—community healthcare professionals, delivery riders, and F&B servers—who may feel marginalized by the current system. Only by gaining a holistic view of the labor market here are we able to truly say that it is working for all Singaporeans, not just a segment (even if it is a majority segment).
Postscript: the theme of the rally was “safety,” so perhaps taking inspiration from the gilets jaunes movement, yellow safety vests were handed out (I donned one). While the use of the vests was meant to symbolize the ubiquity of the working class in France, I felt that the focus here on improving our social safety net was more appropriate, given how many gaps still exist. The #workersparty has championed commonsense policies along these lines, including a minimum wage, redundancy insurance, and retirement adequacy via higher CPF rates. There has been some movement on these fronts in recent years, but we will continue to push for sustained reforms along these lines. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus went to the Live Turtle Museum Singapore. :wink:

Jamus Lim

12 h ·
Over the past weekend, we brought our little one and her cousins to the Live Turtle Museum Singapore. Like many others, we had seen the appeal to come by our socials, and wished to do our part in helping restore the museum’s visitor traffic. We also took advantage of the midweek holiday to pop by the Science Centre Singapore, which has been a favorite of our daughter ever since we received an annual gift pass for her third birthday.
Although our turtle museum visit was relatively brief, I appreciated the opportunity for our little one to experience the peaceful creatures up close. It was also a way to lend support to the facility, which (in my view) is fairly unique is urban Singapore. It is a nice child-friendly weekend activity, much like how we’ve also enjoyed our family trips to the Science Center, National Gallery, or Zoo (albeit those occupy more time).
My understanding is that, following the viral video post, the museum has now received sufficient visitors to keep it viable as a going concern. But of course, doing so will be something that requires us to hold the place in our memories, long after the original interest has faded. The good news is—as revealed by this episode—that the costs of keeping what we collectively regard as precious can be very low. That’s an important lesson to bear in mind for all manner of things we may deem important, from taking care of the less fortunate in society, to maintaining our artistic and cultural assets, to protecting the green spaces and native flora and fauna of the little island we all share.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus continues house visits. :smile:

Jamus Lim

26 April at 07:53 ·
This week, #TeamSengkang house visits wrapped up 324C #Anchorvale, as well as the neighboring 325A. Our solid progress masked some very involved conversations, around issues both within and without the estate.
Perhaps owing to the additional buzz surrounding the announced handover of the prime ministership to DPM Lawrence Wong, many residents have asked if the general elections are round the corner, and relatedly, if that’s why we were visiting. As I share with them, I’ve been doing house visits since we were first elected—with pauses during the pandemic lockdown periods—but, given the number of blocks in the division, it takes time before we get to every one.
Conversely, some residents remark that, prior to our visit, that they had never seen their MP before. In my experience, even the hardest-working MP may not get an opportunity to meet every single one of their residents, given the vagaries of crossed paths and serendipity. I can only say that I cherish all conversations I’m able to have, and that—in addition to following up on their specific concerns with the relevant authorities—I also learn about broad sentiments on the ground, which inform the way I think about policies and the sort of interventions we make in Parliament. #SengkangGRC

jw5

Loyal
Jamus is concerned about healthcare. :coffee:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
Although the tumult from the COVID-19 pandemic is now firmly in the rearview mirror (has it really been more than 4 years hence?), many shortfalls in our healthcare policy, revealed by the pandemic, remain unresolved. One important challenge that shouldn’t be forgotten is how our healthcare system remains stretched thin. Capacity routinely exceeds 80 percent, and can go in excess of 90 percent in some instances (such as bed capacity in certain hospitals in certain weeks).
Importantly, this falls below the government’s own stated goals, of keeping capacity closer to the optimum usage rate of around 80 percent. In practice, this means patients waiting all day for admission, or feeling pressured to check out before they are ready. The government has shared its plans to expand capacity, with an expansion of the facility at Alexandria, and a new Woodlands Health Hub. These are welcome, but will only go toward making up for already existing shortfalls.
What we need is forward planning, with utilization overshooting what is needed for some time, because the longer run will inevitably require more resources than just what we make up for in the immediate future. This will imply accepting some degree of inefficiency in our healthcare system, perhaps with capacity falling below 80 percent in the short run. While adding to costs, I believe most Singaporeans prefer this to inordinately long waits when they visit the emergency room. In Parliament, I offered 3 practical suggestions for how to meet future healthcare needs, through a significant expansion of healthcare infrastructure that will help using during this transition phase.
First, ramp up urgent care. These aren’t full-blown hospitals, but can deal with many needs. Singaporeans often still use A&E, which unnecessarily stresses them with non-life-threatening cases, like high fever, cuts needing stitches, food poisoning, or allergic reactions.
Second, improve incentives for folks to recover at home. While some illnesses may still be best rehabilitated in community hospital, many others benefit from home care, perhaps with support of a visiting healthcare professional. Insurers can help with this. They can offer schemes where, instead of paying for a hospital stay, families can opt to discharge and have a visiting nurse/doctor on call (perhaps with a cash incentive paid out of savings).
Finally, the nonprofit model—hospitals that operate on the basis of redeploying earnings into operations, rather than generating returns for shareholders—can be made more attractive with tax exemptions. Importantly, these exemptions should not be accompanied by reductions in operational flexibility, but increases in it. If the approach simply insists on more price regulation (basically, healthcare à la “Economy Plus” on a plane), the true benefit of the model may be lost. Rather, nonprofit hospitals should be allowed to prioritize nonmonetary objectives that may be more valued by their operators, while being allowed to reduce costs innovatively, by making them up with grants or donations.
Of course, even as MOH exercises greater vigilance over pricing in nonprofits, it should also not forget that pre-subsidy charges in public hospitals have also escalated, and need to be contained as well. These are all practical steps for expanding the capacity of the healthcare system in a way that respects escalating costs, while meeting rising needs in an aging population. #makingyourvotecount

jw5

Loyal
Jamus connected with many residents. :smile:

Jamus Lim

3 d ·
The prior weekend’s Hammer outreach gathered #TeamSengkang at Sengkang Grand, in #Buangkok. We were able to connect with many residents as they went about their brekkie, and we were pleased to see that the place remained fairly crowded, even now months after the opening. For me, that speaks to the underlying demand for more hawker fare in #SengkangGRC, a matter that we had campaigned on, and have continued to raise in parliament.
We also met many families that shared their thoughts about our work in the town. While providing valued feedback, most also expressed how the town council was being responsive to their concerns and complaints, and, on balance, were pleased with the quality of estate management. We regard the performance of the town council as an important signal of how we are doing, and will continue to work, in ways big and small, to ensure that our residents’ needs and expectations are being met, and exceeded.

441371576_960001369115120_3929691262866136112_n.jpg

jw5

Loyal
Jamus raises a PQ. :cool:

Jamus Lim

13 h ·
One of the frustrations that Singaporeans face with their dealings with government agencies is that they complain about how many may “taichi” their concerns, either by bouncing the matter to other agencies, or by skirting around the main problem by appealing to pedantic details.
In response to feedback from a resident, I had raised a Parliamentary Question (PQ) about the availability of concessionary fares for post-A-level/IB students awaiting entry into universities. Admittedly, the question could have better worded, with reference to access to the concessionary “card” (https://www.transitlink.com.sg/undergraduate-concession.../), rather than “fares.” Still, I felt that the spirit of the question was sound, and all the more since an adult monthly travel pass (at $128) is significantly more expensive than than the undergraduate pass (at $81 for the hybrid version that allows both bus and train travel). So, alas, the fundamental concern remained unresolved.
It is not clear to me why this is the case. Perhaps, as a society, we have become too accustomed to a precision in our model answers, to a point where semantic differences like these become insurmountable differences, to the detriment of actually solving the problem. I hope not, because flexibility is precisely one of the key traits that separate humans from machines, and in an age of AI, I believe that we need to be supple intellectually if we are to move forward as a country and an economy. #makingyourvotecount
Postscript: I’ll plan to re-file a reworded version of the PQ, of course, but I felt that the episode was symptomatic of a deeper pathology, so I thought it would be worthwhile putting it on the table for discussion, in case my view is mistaken.
May be an image of text

jw5

Loyal

Jamus Lim

2 d ·
Today is Mother’s Day! Words are never sufficient to capture the love, energy, and sacrifices that mothers make for their children. Yesterday, I joined #TeamSengkang as we went about #Anchorvale and #Compassvale to distribute some small tokens of our gratitude to the mothers in our midst. Chua Kheng Wee 蔡庆威 did the same for his sections of Compassvale and #Rivervale, and He Ting Ru 何廷儒 will be doing the same today at #Buangkok. To the mothers in my life, and all across #SengkangGRC and Singapore, here’s wishing you a very special day with your loved ones.

jw5

Loyal
Jamus sells newspaper. :biggrin:

Jamus Lim

1 d ·
Over the weekend, #TeamSengkang headed out to the nearby #Fernvale Hawker Center (and its environs) for our regular Sunday #Hammer outreach (basically, this means peddling our The Workers' Party newspaper, which we sell to both offer an alternative view on the news, as well as fund our various activities).
Most folks are aware of how the neighborhood was, until the redrawing of boundaries for the 2020 elections, part of what many regarded as Sengkang town. It has since been carved out and embedded into Ang Mo Kio GRC. Of course, residents do not much worry about political boundaries in their daily lives, and so it was natural for us to meet many residents of #SengkangGRC, who were there to either dine or shop.
Hence, our time there also meant that we were able to say hi to those whom, for some reason or other, we may not yet have had the opportunity to meet previously. We were also able to connect with some who raised concerns about various concerns, and sought our assistance (we will be following up on these in due course).

442440045_965529255228998_9196513648006044188_n.jpg