• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

why is jospeine Teo called 杨莉明

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think her parent neighbor is cantonese, when her mother give birth to her the cantonese neighbor ask the father " san ko tiu ren (give birth to a male) or pei ren tiu (give birth to a female), this how the surmane Tio come about.

Josephine Teo Li Min is = 杨莉明 = Yáng Lìmíng =
but why is her surname not called Yeo instead she is called Teo?

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
the spelling is given by the birth registry or the the parents can insist the spelling they want?

I suppose u can call whatever u want. My cousin used hanyupinyin for his sons instead of dialect surname.

Last edited:

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wiki is wrong because her surname is Yong. There was a "Yong Li Min" in EDB last time and I think it's her before she married and got the name "Josephine".

Former CJ Yong Pung How is called 杨邦孝. Heard that they were related somehow.

Yes, Hakka 杨 is usually transliterated in S'pore and Malaysia as Yong. Wiki just assumed the usual Hokkien/Teochew 'Yeo' without checking her dialect group.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, Hakka 杨 is usually transliterated in S'pore and Malaysia as Yong. Wiki just assumed the usual Hokkien/Teochew 'Yeo' without checking her dialect group.

Just realized there is a contradiction in the same Wiki page. Under "Personal Life", it states that her maiden surname is "Yong".

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Wiki is wrong because her surname is Yong. There was a "Yong Li Min" in EDB last time and I think it's her before she married and got the name "Josephine".

Former CJ Yong Pung How is called 杨邦孝. Heard that they were related somehow.

Crap. They are not related and her parents used to run goldsmith shop business. They are Hakka. Surname Yong.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I believe it has to do with her dialect group. Back in the old days most surname follow the pronunciation of their individual dialect group. For instant 姚 in Teochew will be Neo and in Hainanese is Yau I think.

So for her case she may be a Hokkien(I think)

In Hokkien Yeo is not Teo..." loo tio boh'??

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
she took her husband's surname, i guess.

http://app.sgdi.gov.sg/listing.asp?agency_subtype=dept&agency_id=0000007565

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Chief Executive Officer[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]<A name=TEO_Eng_Cheong>TEO Eng Cheong
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]64334839 [/FONT][email protected]

<TBODY sizset="28" sizcache="0">
<!-- brian updated on 15Apr2013: remove the space to fix the alignment <td><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size=2> -->
</TBODY>

I've ran a check and you're right. Her family name is Yong and she is Hakka

the 2 brother give me the correct clue.