• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

why do the opposition parties not boycott the obviously unfair elections in singapore

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: why do the opposition parties not boycott the obviously unfair elections in singa

A boycott achieves nothing. Gov won't care if they are seen to be 'undemocratic' if no one opposes. It's not like there will be international pressure to hold another election and even if there was they'll just ignore it.

Yes, and I truly wonder which govt or country is going to intervene. There are hundreds of more deserving cases that require immediate world attention.

When Chee sent the letter to Obama, I thought it was rather silly only to realise that it was basically playing to his supporter's gallery. It was never aimed at Obama.

The whole approach seem rather ridiculous when you have characters of the same cause visiting the caribbean and disneyland while demanding human rights and cheaper goods.

It reminded me of Vincent Lam of Youth Challenge who on his first day on the job bought himself a BMW. Yet he milked the gullible for over 21 years and earned himslef a 3 story home.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: why do the opposition parties not boycott the obviously unfair elections in singa

Bro Char Ji Kar

Your position will only be vindicated with the results of the next General Election when the PAP roams home with more than 66.6% of the contested wards.

Yes even with all that had transpired in the last twelve months! the electorate still sticks to it's old mindset!

Then only will the realisation sets in that as long as the rules are written by the PAP, it is pointless to attempt to use the ballot box to express your desire for change!

*thumbs up* very well put.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, and I truly wonder which govt or country is going to intervene. There are hundreds of more deserving cases that require immediate world attention.

When Chee sent the letter to Obama, I thought it was rather silly only to realise that it was basically playing to his supporter's gallery. It was never aimed at Obama.

The whole approach seem rather ridiculous when you have characters of the same cause visiting the caribbean and disneyland while demanding human rights and cheaper goods.

It reminded me of Vincent Lam of Youth Challenge who on his first day on the job bought himself a BMW. Yet he milked the gullible for over 21 years and earned himslef a 3 story home.

cut the rhetoric crap.

i didn't ever talk about foreign intervention here. i am talking about the Opposition took the initiative, boycott the GE, try to reform the system from outside of the PAP system.

the Opposition could not do a reform within the PAP system, even they have a GRC and two single ward seats.

Last edited:

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal

i m wondering why. PAP owns Singapore, so what is the point of elections

Its to showcase democracy to the outside world. And when you have opposition politicians in voted into parliament who play "gentleman politics" with the PAP .. why that's like adding a cherry on the whipped cream. You can now showcase multi-party democracy.

tookara

Alfrescian
Loyal

by boycotting the elections wouldn't it showcase to the world the UNFAIR electoral system the PAP has cleverly devised to try and push the limits of democracy yet being a dictatorial party

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

Yes, and notice how "passionately" and doggedly the arguments are. This is despite the fact that mathematically and objectively there can only be one winner in a boycott - the PAP.

So i believe I can safely assume that this fellow char_jil-kar is actually more interested to keep PAP in power by advocating a opposotion boycott using the unfair rules as an excues.

Wow...i can see how even SDP had been played into this.

interesting....................

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

So i believe I can safely assume that this fellow char_jil-kar is actually more interested to keep PAP in power by advocating a opposotion boycott using the unfair rules as an excues.

SDP, Chee and his sister have always advocated contesting elections. It only a select few who claim to be supporters of SDP that prefer PAP to retain their seats. Not once has Chee suggested a boycott.

These people need a front and unfortunately SDP is not in good shape. The same applies to Reform Party.

To my knowledge, no political party has suggested a boycott. They all know that they will be laughed out of this game at the hint of a suggestion.

I am also aware that one public figure will not be contesting the elections even though claims of activism is made often. I am sure the fear of 3 statutory declarations and samples of his writings will appear for all the wrong reasons and providing an excuse of a boycott would be godsent.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Scroobal

On the SDP website they have said a "boycott" would be a good idea but it needs unity from the opposition which is not present............

Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Scroobal

On the SDP website they have said a "boycott" would be a good idea but it needs unity from the opposition which is not present............

Locke
They got a bit of a pasar malam where their website is concerned. Knowing Chee, an elections not contested is a great opportunity missed.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

PAP had rewritten the rules of GE to their advantage, they would be in power whether the Opposition participate in the GE or not.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

SDP, Chee and his sister have always advocated contesting elections. It only a select few who claim to be supporters of SDP that prefer PAP to retain their seats. Not once has Chee suggested a boycott.

These people need a front and unfortunately SDP is not in good shape. The same applies to Reform Party.

To my knowledge, no political party has suggested a boycott. They all know that they will be laughed out of this game at the hint of a suggestion.

I am also aware that one public figure will not be contesting the elections even though claims of activism is made often. I am sure the fear of 3 statutory declarations and samples of his writings will appear for all the wrong reasons and providing an excuse of a boycott would be godsent.

i am not affiliated with any political party.

and i don't see why is it laughable the idea, the Opposition boycott a unfair electoral system. if its unfair to the Opposition, then why Opposition go participate in it? who is laughable? its those Opposition who knew the electoral system is seriously tilted in favor of PAP and yet, go participate in it.

Last edited:

Adidas

Alfrescian
Loyal

PAP will not give a damn even if the opposition boycott it.
in fact,i think they will be very much happier.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

the Opposition boycott a unfair electoral system.

None of the political parties are boycotting the elections. All the political parties are contesting. You have your reasons for boycotting and wish you the best.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

None of the political parties are boycotting the elections. All the political parties are contesting. You have your reasons for boycotting and wish you the best.

The only reason i can find here for a boycott of the coming GE by any of the opposition party is the wish to see PAP in total control for another 20 years.

I can find no other logical reason for calling for such an illogical boycott.

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal

You Boycott..

They laugh at your stupidity.

Then they will set up more Nominated MPs and form a PAP sub division to voice alernative voice for sinkie to show to the UN that we have democracy and human right.
Then "opposition forever gone"

All the Nominated MPs have screen thru "tea session" ... U think they will poke PAP??

Then U enter deeper into the "hole" . I also better keep quiet else they will even come into Sammy " GET US".

You be surpise of what they are capable of doing it if they have 100%. or 80 % and 20% fake opposition.

I appreciate what the opposition has been doing all this while.

I felt bad that I have ignored JBJ as he tried to sell me " Hammer " in my younger days until we lose him recently. He has contributed to Singapore in another form which I fail to see last time...

jw5

Loyal

What is Vincent Lam doing these days?

jw5

Loyal

You Boycott..

They laugh at your stupidity.

Then they will set up more Nominated MPs and form a PAP sub division to voice alernative voice for sinkie to show to the UN that we have democracy and human right.
Then "opposition forever gone"

All the Nominated MPs have screen thru "tea session" ... U think they will poke PAP??

Then U enter deeper into the "hole" . I also better keep quiet else they will even come into Sammy " GET US".

You be surpise of what they are capable of doing it if they have 100%. or 80 % and 20% fake opposition.

I appreciate what the opposition has been doing all this while.

I felt bad that I have ignored JBJ as he tried to sell me " Hammer " in my younger days until we lose him recently. He has contributed to Singapore in another form which I fail to see last time...
I'm glad that I bought his book from JBJ and shook his hand a few years ago.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dr Chee appears to be quite consistent on the following:

Burma Junta/Daw Aung

Singapore not much better than Burma

Singapore being a purported tax haven

Talks to a different audience
When Chee sent the letter to Obama, I thought it was rather silly only to realise that it was basically playing to his supporter's gallery. It was never aimed at Obama. .

Ouch:biggrin: I think perhaps these dilettantes need to take a leaf out of Kevin de souza; Teoh; Tang et al.

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal

wrong. do the math.

by participating in a sham GE tilted in favor to the PAP, the PAP will win no matter. on top of that, they could show the world, tell it to the people, the PAP beat the Opposition fair and square. Shows that the PAP is a better choice in people's heart.

by simply boycott the GE, the PAP cannot harp about how PAP had defeated the Opposition camp in a fair game. 'cause there's no one there in the court.

and boycotting the GE is just the first step.

You are clearly mistaken, only the PEOPLE can boycott the GE not the candidates. Go and place a spoilt vote. If there is a substantial percentage of spoilt votes, that shows that the election is a sham and the voters believes neither of the parties.

Opposition boycotting the GE will give the PAP clear advantage. Period.

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are clearly mistaken, only the PEOPLE can boycott the GE not the candidates. Go and place a spoilt vote. If there is a substantial percentage of spoilt votes, that shows that the election is a sham and the voters believes neither of the parties.

Opposition boycotting the GE will give the PAP clear advantage. Period.

the rule of GE had been rewritten by PAP giving them huge advantage. anyone who participate in it, its like saying, 'Thats okay. PAP is not wrong doing that.'

Last edited: