• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why did sg fail to move out of being a cheap factory in 80s?

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never like the fact that sg's economic policy is still about being a cheap manufacturing base. It suppresses wages and makes life miserable.

But I read somewhere this govt tried to take us out of it in the 80s and failed.

Can any brother enlighten me on WHY it failed and WHAT steps were taken for this?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Education system hammers anyone who wants to be different. The costs of taking risks are too great.

Innovate for what? If you are smart just follow the yuppie next door and buy a condo, drive a Honda MPV and have 2 kids.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never like the fact that sg's economic policy is still about being a cheap manufacturing base. It suppresses wages and makes life miserable.

But I read somewhere this govt tried to take us out of it in the 80s and failed.

Can any brother enlighten me on WHY it failed and WHAT steps were taken for this?

1. They tried to set up various growth triangles with neighbours who have been pissed off by the arrogance of the old man often boasting about his achievements and belittling others.

2. They tried to grow a 2nd WING economy with overseas investments but ended up buying lemons because govt technocrats and scholars are NOT shrewd businessmen material.

3. Their FATALLY FLAWED social engineering and educational experiementations and obsession with mother tongue resulted in MASS MIGRATIONS out of Singapore and a reproduction rate fallling below replacement levels.

With that increasing haemorrhaging of local talent as overseas PRs/Citizens, it would be impossible to move to the next phase of 1st world development. Worse to come, more and more CPF withdrawals from these high income earners renouncing SG citizenship and making full CPF withdrawals before retirement age bleeds the CPF reserves like a run on a bank by large account depositors.

The strategy of importing cheap 3rd rate overseas talents is merely buying time but time is running out. Having F1 races, Crazy Horse Burlesque entertainment venues, pole dancing, Singapore Flyer and IR projects etc are like the proverbial drowning man clutching at straws.

When the source of all those cheap labour dries up, the remainder of the MNCs would just relocate. When all of the above entertainment projects novelty wears off, what has happened to Tang Dynasty City, Haw Par Villa, Crazy Horse, Sentosa Asian Village, remodelled Malay Village, revamped Chinatown etc will be DEJA VU

Last edited:

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is very clear. Look at CNA. lots of talents left to go to bloomberg and cibc. Left only shtty reporters like Melvln yong and mellissa hiak. Really hopeless CNA. Even recent recruits like choe choe flew alway to cnbc. Sg also like that. lots of talents leave to go elsewhere. KILL BY NS

Dan Now

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well said.

It's called "The Suzhou Industrial Park".

Dear angry one,

But there are other reasons too.
There was also a drive towards the knowledge economy and there was alot of money being pumped into R and D and Hi Tech parks.

Several problems exist. There is a creativity, and innovative gap no thanks to the route learning education system we have.

Now, the truth is, given a small population base like ours, talents are hard to come by true ?

WRONG. Tons of Singaporeans who are talented have migrated to other countries, and have done so successfully to every part of the world. Singaporeans success overseas are quickly mocked by the STATE media and our then PM, Goh coin the word, "quitters" to describe them. Which is strange. You don't mock the people you are trying to invite to your house.

The high irony of it all, is that by then our PM Goh, his own daughter, married a foriegner and have decided to move out of Singapore. Even the wedding dinner in Singapore was a hush up affair. Talk about walking your own talk, and have we ever heard our PM then calling her own daughter a quitter ?

Coming back, our brain drain increase at an accelarating phase, it was then decided the PAPies should mend the gaps, Singapore begin to embark on a massive talent attraction program to lure in the great talents. Truth is, none of the great talents came and set roost here. Instead, scores of untalented second grade "workers" came instead. Temasek, DBS and NOL overnight decides to embark on a campaign to attract angmo CEOs. They came, they saw, they puke and they left. Many reasons were cited, but these Angmo CEOs are paid a hefty sum of money before the golden handshakes are given. In actual fact, it was paid to them so that they would not have to reveal too much about their unhappiness.

Words and speculations out is that they find Temasek's culture to be exceedingly weird. The Dowager and the King are unrealistic in their approach to many business dealings and the changes they wanted to institute were against the grain of "family" business models. I have no idea what that means but transalated it means clearly, they would prefer that free market principles be observed and that is not achieveable in a structure where the elites are virtually garunteed a position in the company and that they are untouchables.

Finally, the top creative talents that did eventually came here, find Singaporea to be a barren and sterile place where creativity was stifled because the freedom of expression were scoffed upon. No matter how the PAPies denies it, freedom of expression is the first condition needed to encourage the spirit of enterprise, and creativity. Thats one of the standing pillars of sowing entrepreneurship. Is this lacking in Singapore ? Well you be the judge.

Next, now certainly, the PAPies did try to lure our talents back but failed miseably prompting several announcements by our MIWS to relax various restrictions on our entertainment scence etc like the film ratings for starters. Vivian and Wong Can't Sing did finally allow for bar top dancings and even the old man was saying that he would like to see that several places in Singapore be allowed to be "pockets of Bohemia". Those are his words not mine. Still, as long as there is an state sponsored media, draconian laws, and strict controls all around, Singapore by then have been leap frog by other nations who are also in the talent hunt. Dubai, London, Shanghai, Beijing remain the most favoured destinations for these talents.

Which lead us to the present crap we have now. Notice the PAPies have all stop using the word, "Knowledge" economy. Meaning to say, there was a failure in their execution.

By this time round, the MIWs then change course, and decide to go for the "HUB" strategy which lead us to the opening of the IRs etc and other expensive tourist draws to try to stimulate the economy.

Pardon me, this have been really brief, but that was my intention. This post is based upon my personal recollection and certainly, they are at best opinions, at worse, I hope its worthy of your readings.

Cheers.

Dan

Last edited:

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those are his words not mine. Still, as long as there is an state sponsored media, draconian laws, and strict controls all around, Singapore by then have been leap frog by other nations who are also in the talent hunt. Dubai, London, Shanghai, Beijing remain the most favoured destinations for these talents.

Words and speculations out is that they find Temasek's culture to be exceedingly weird. The Dowager and the King are unrealistic in their approach to many business dealings and the changes they wanted to institute were against the grain of "family" business models.

Several problems exist. There is a creativity, and innovative gap no thanks to the route learning education system we have.

, the top creative talents that did eventually came here, find Singaporea to be a barren and sterile place where creativity was stifled because the freedom of expression were scoffed upon.

=============================

your describtion is correct although you diagnosis and cure is wrong.

you blame temasek, the media lack of freedom of expression, lack of cutural buzz, the education system etc etc. All just excuses and lack depth. Creative people only need independence and freedom and the laundry list of excuses dont affect this independence and freedom. Only NS that take away 2 years does. THAT IS WHAT IS KILLING SG and if you continue to spread false propaganda of your fake laundry list then you are also killing Sg.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

indeed, S'pore's economy is going backwards. This is really inevitable when an economy like singapore's is centrally planned by bureaucrats who have no experience and insufficient knowledge. There are many reasons for this, but as far as I know, the situation became like this.

U have to remember that even back to the 70s when S'pore was a cheap manufacturing base, the labour was still mostly imported from malaysia, thailand, Indon. etc. At that time, the PAP tried what i call flavour of the month type of industry. First, it was shipbuilding. That failed because other countries like South Korea were more innovative and companies like Hyundai were flexible and could build ships quicker and cheaper. because the major shipyards in S'pore were GLCs, they got fat and lazy, and lost this segment.

Shipbuilding was followed next by Petrochemicals, and this was eventually lost out to other countries. Than followed by the computer and tech sector, and eventually these went to Taiwan and China. Eventually, we are where we are today with biotechnology.

what the PAP failed to do was to brand the "Made in Singapore" name and give it an aura of quality and desirability. just like "Made in Switzerland", "Made in Germany", and "Made in Japan" are instantly associated with quality. The Swiss for example have very high labour costs. Yet why are they not importing huge amounts of cheap labour to offset this, like S'pore is doing? That is because unlike S'pore, they have concentrated on a few industries that they are good in and not try to jump all over the place. For example, they are good in banking, precision instruments like watches, engineering knowhow, etc. U do not see them trying to build cheap computers.

what are we good in? Not much really. banking sector which is only keeping its bloom because of the laundering of Golden Triangle drug money and indon corruption money. our airline is well known, but airline business now is a losing proposition anyway. Maybe Creative Labs, but they are in trouble.

look at what other asian tiger economies have done. Hong Kong for example has produced a well known world bank HSBC, which is pretty much in most countries of the world. Would you believe that HSBC was at one time the size of DBS or OCBC? Yet, no one outside of Singapore, Malaysia and maybe HK has heard of DBS. Taiwan has a a slew of international well known companies too, starting with Acer. Same for South Korea.

This the price we pay when the PAP snuffs out all competition and monopolizes the economy thru the use of GLCs. These bloody companies are useless, unwieldy and bloated and run by PAP lackeys that know shit all about the industry they are in. As a result, they have never been comfortable outside of the country and have no incentive to dominate internationally when they are fat dumb and lazy at home.

what they should have done was the following.
- Started many more universities. For decades, NUS was the only uni in S'pore. S'pore's unique advantage was that most of the population was bi-lingual mandarin and english. We should have had 3 or 4 more unis the same size of NUS and relax the mandarin requirements. The PAP did not do this because they are money driven and unis are money losing businesses and traditional hotbeds of student activism. By tripling or quadrupling the number of engineers, business people, etc. we could have been in position to do many things. One is to export this talent outside. Bearing in mind that the size of the S'pore economy is by constraint small, but that of the world is limitless, we should have actively marketed a large pool of bi-lingual uni educated S'poreans to MNCs starting to operate in China, India, etc. The wages they earn would be repatriated back to their families and economy in S'pore. And they would not have lowered the wage level here because they will not be competing with the local population. Eventually, they will be in positions that allow for the hiring of more singaporeans to their MNCs.

- Use the clout of the soveriegn wealth funds like Temasek and GICs. These bloody companies are buying companies with no clear strategic goals. And losing huge amounts of money in the process. What they should be doing is to buy into strong promising companies and use their clouts and seats on the board to move technological knowhow, or off shore factories to S'pore. Or at least use Singaporean companies like Neptune for their shipping or sponsor work visas for S'poreans. This will enable technology and knowledge exchange to S'pore in addition to making money on the share price.

I am going to end here as i have been blabbering on. but these are just some ideas.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal

You better go and read up the history of Singapore industrialisation programme youself. Were you living in the cave then, or still waiting to be created?

Singapore industrialisation programme's move from the era of cheap labour to the era of high tech, high wages and high-value added in the early 1980s is well documented in any publication. Go google or wiki it yourself.

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you read your history right, LKY was contented to rule his fiefdom with semi-skilled peasants. The events of 1970s with Nixon and oil shocks change that from becoming possible. Then came the lan lan polytechnics and VITB things with the Japanese providing assistance initially. There was no great intention to level to the playing field. Singapore super heng to get into harddisk manufacturing. Never first choice but supporting role to Thailand. Investor not confident of Singapore but also same with Thai which was considered better choice. So take both. This one written paper by Shinkapore some more. But old man always scared lose control rather than lose money. So IT was delayed super long in progress till we were behind the curve. If we really went hi-tech, we would not need to play property prices and whole shitload of rubbish taxation games. That you can check in the documentation and history. MRT was also a reluctant depression fighting fiscal instrument after LKY go and push CPF to 50% tax. What a fucking brainless goon. And none of that money went to welfare but more taxes and penalization.

Dan Now

Alfrescian
Loyal
=============================

your describtion is correct although you diagnosis and cure is wrong.

you blame temasek, the media lack of freedom of expression, lack of cutural buzz, the education system etc etc. All just excuses and lack depth. Creative people only need independence and freedom and the laundry list of excuses dont affect this independence and freedom. Only NS that take away 2 years does. THAT IS WHAT IS KILLING SG and if you continue to spread false propaganda of your fake laundry list then you are also killing Sg.[/quote]

May I congratulate you on your lovely laundry list.

What you need is a keener sense of critical thinking and some soap.

Dan

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you need is a keener sense of critical thinking and some soap
=========

fcuk. Your laundry list is what is inside the govt laundry = NO DIFFERENCE. What you address is exactly what the govt is trying to address over the last five years. The call for more creative edu system ( thanman revamp and revamp trying to cook up something ) , the call for more "lively" night spots ( bar top govt liberalisation ) , the call for freedom of expression. ("now no need licence for hong lim park speeches") You got the same lousy brains of the scholars in the govt. Product of SG lounsy education system and poor peasant genes.

Only know how to regugitate and vomit out your cock and bull General Paper shit. But no relation to reality.

NS is killing Sg.

Dan Now

Alfrescian
Loyal
- Use the clout of the soveriegn wealth funds like Temasek and GICs. These bloody companies are buying companies with no clear strategic goals. And losing huge amounts of money in the process. What they should be doing is to buy into strong promising companies and use their clouts and seats on the board to move technological knowhow, or off shore factories to S'pore. Or at least use Singaporean companies like Neptune for their shipping or sponsor work visas for S'poreans. This will enable technology and knowledge exchange to S'pore in addition to making money on the share price.

I am going to end here as i have been blabbering on. but these are just some ideas.[/quote]

Excellent points you have there and there is no blabber at all.

And hey its your first post ! Great to have you back.

Cheers bud !

Dan

Dan Now

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you need is a keener sense of critical thinking and some soap
=========

fcuk. Your laundry list is what is inside the govt laundry = NO DIFFERENCE. What you address is exactly what the govt is trying to address over the last five years. The call for more creative edu system ( thanman revamp and revamp trying to cook up something ) , the call for more "lively" night spots ( bar top govt liberalisation ) , the call for freedom of expression. ("now no need licence for hong lim park speeches") You got the same lousy brains of the scholars in the govt. Product of SG lounsy education system and poor peasant genes.

Only know how to regugitate and vomit out your cock and bull General Paper shit. But no relation to reality.

NS is killing Sg.

You are sheer moronic fun. hahaha.

Can you read ? My list kilan. Cheng Hu list la par cheow buck.

Limpeh set those policies ar ? Learn to bark at the right tree la.

Also, learn to read properly. Surely NS didn't kill your cock eye reading skills.

Dan

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the slew of deep analyses so far. Some of you are mistaken in assuming that i don't know about sg's economic path so far.

My question was specifically: if Switzerland and Japan etc can continue to become manufacturing bases while paying 1st world wages, why does sg need to continue getting cheap workers and compete on price? But that has been answered partially.

I also suspect it's partly due to sinkee's lack of enterprise and talent - but you don't need to be that talented to be a high-tech manufacturing worker. You just need to train hard. And for this, sinkees are actually good as mastering complex, quantitative skills like programming, craft...etc.

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
business is nothing but kenging. But those good in kenging also run away from NS. THus all good busnessmen run from Sg. NS is killing Sg.

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the slew of deep analyses so far. Some of you are mistaken in assuming that i don't know about sg's economic path so far.

My question was specifically: if Switzerland and Japan etc can continue to become manufacturing bases while paying 1st world wages, why does sg need to continue getting cheap workers and compete on price? But that has been answered partially.

I also suspect it's partly due to sinkee's lack of enterprise and talent - but you don't need to be that talented to be a high-tech manufacturing worker. You just need to train hard. And for this, sinkees are actually good as mastering complex, quantitative skills like programming, craft...etc.

Like I said, LKY never wanted to highly skilled labor. Jealous they become mobile. His lawyer skills cannot get him anyway expect notarization. Look at how he controlled university education with fucked up quota. You know the guy is insane when you force an A level accounting student to study computer science in NUS. A for economics, D or F for com science subjects. Lagi better, still can graduate. Or get people who aspire to be doctors with good scores to study engineering. This is his masturbation policy to screw Singaporeans to stay in control. Now the fuck slaps him back in his face. With the cloak of secrecy lifted from Swiss banks and more, doing a Marcos money transfer is very very difficult today. Few like or trust you LKY.

ah_phah

Alfrescian
Loyal
to force a job down the throats of those who're not cut up for it, is not very different from communist style, where potential doctors could end up doing agriculture, or, potential engineer ending up doing F&B.

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
to force a job down the throats of those who're not cut up for it, is not very different from communist style, where potential doctors could end up doing agriculture, or, potential engineer ending up doing F&B.

LKY does not fuck care. Look what he did to his son, daughter and how he coerced the daughter in law to take a path or eternal damnation.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

That is because this fake country is run by a bunch of sinkies and it is the sinkies themselves that vote for these sinkies.

You wanna improve, ok, get of of the country or unsinkified yourself.