• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Why cycling is actually bad for the environment

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bicycle is the slow death of the planet.
General Director of Euro Exim Bank Ltd. got economists thinking when he said:
"A cyclist is a disaster for the country's economy: he does not buy cars and does not borrow money to buy. He does not pay for insurance policies. He does not buy fuel, does not pay for the necessary maintenance and repairs. He does not use paid parking. He does not cause serious accidents. He does not require multi-lane highways. He does not get fat.
Healthy people are neither needed nor useful for the economy. They don't buy medicine. They do not go to hospitals or doctors. Nothing is added to the country's GDP (gross domestic product).
On the contrary, every new McDonald's restaurant creates at least 30 jobs: 10 cardiologists, 10 dentists, 10 dietary experts and nutritionists, and obviously, people who work at the restaurant itself."
Choose carefully: cyclist or McDonald's? It is worth considering.
P.S. Walking is even worse. Pedestrians don't even buy bicycles.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If cycling infrastructure is done right cycling is a marvelous way of getting around and it is good for everyone. Best example is Amsterdam. If everyone who commutes by bike decided to drive instead the city would be in gridlock.

If it is done in an adhoc manner in order to virtue signal then we see the disaster that Clarkson is ranting about.
sj will be very sextensive with dedicated green bike lanes, more so than the progressive city of sf with its defecated lanes. right now, downtown sj is already overwhelmed with green cones and bike lanes. the current mayor himself is an avid cyclist, but he got into a rib crunching accident when he was hit by a vehicle a few years ago. luckily he recovered and is back to cycling.
1623862425400.png

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I suppose if Jeremy Clarkson farts there are people who will bottle it as treasure. London is on the right track - ban all cars and that solves all transportation issues

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I suppose if Jeremy Clarkson farts there are people who will bottle it as treasure. London is on the right track - ban all cars and that solves all transportation issues
some busy and popular streets in sg can be blocked out totally for all vehicle traffic as access to buildings is still available on side roads and rear parallel roads. don’t know why authorities are hell bent in keeping these narrow streets open to vehicles.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can exercise b bad for health?

Could too much cycling cause heart problems? A world-first study in Bendigo aims to find out​

ago
Two people standing and smiling, with a man on a bike doing exercise in the background in a lab.
Cyclist Tifffany Winchester is taking part in the study run by Daniel Wundersitz.(ABC Central Victoria: Shannon Schubert )
Groundbreaking research in Victoria is investigating the impact of recreational cycling on the heart's electrical activity.

Key points:​

• Researchers want to find out if heart issues increase due to cycling
  • Bendigo cyclists presenting to Bendigo Health with heart arrhythmias have prompted the research.
  • About 60 cyclists will be part of the study
A "worrying trend" of Bendigo cyclists presenting to Bendigo Health with heart arrhythmias has prompted the La Trobe University research.
Holdsworth Research Fellow Daniel Wundersitz is conducting the study and says there are a lot of unknowns in the area.
He says there is a lack of data around the fitness and heart function of recreational cyclists.
But just because you wear lycra on the weekends, doesn't mean your heart's working overtime.
"We don't know enough in this area, there's a lot of research in the elite athletes but what about the recreational people," Dr Wundersitz said.
According to well-documented health advice, regular moderate exercise reduces the risk of illnesses like heart and lung disease, high blood pressure and diabetes.
Dr Wundersitz says it is not about scaring people off the bike but seeing if pushing the heart too far can have negative health outcomes, or if cycling impacts heart function and heart health differently, compared to other types of aerobic exercise.

From Paris to 'lab rat'​

From France's Atlantic Coast for the "Olympics" of endurance cycling to the country roads around Mount Macedon, Woodend cyclist Tiffany Winchester has clocked up her fair share of kilometres on a bike.
She also works in academia and "really loves data", so, for her, taking part in the study is a no-brainer.
Tiffany Winchester has cycled all over the world and is taking part in the study. (Supplied: Tiffany Winchester)
"I'm super excited to get the numbers back from the study," Ms Winchester said.
She's more comfortable going for a 200km ride on a wide country road than she is on a stationary bike in a an exercise physiology lab.
But more recently she feels like a "lab rat", as she is taking part in seven different types of studies to measure how endurance exercise impacts her body and health.
"Hopefully it's just reassuring that I'm not doing any damage to my heart," Ms Winchester said.
"And actually, [I hope] the kinds of exercise that I'm doing — even though most people think I'm crazy — are actually not damaging."
Lead researcher Daniel Wundersitz is looking for 60 cyclists to join his study. (ABC Central Victoria: Shannon Schubert )

Racing for research​

Dr Wundersitz is looking to put about 60 cyclists through a series of tests for the research.
The first test measures the rider's fitness, the second takes the participant to Bendigo Health to get their heart scanned.
The rider is then sent home with a monitoring device to measure their heart's regular electrical activity over five days.
The next part is six hours of endurance exercise at a moderate to high intensity, which, according to Tiffany Winchester, is the hardest part.
While being put through their paces on the bike, a face mask that is connected to a metabolic cart measures how the participant breathes.
"The face mask is looking at their oxygen consumption and carbon dioxide production," Dr Wundersitz said.
Four or five days after the long ride, the last test measures the impact the exercise hah had on the participant's heart.
Dr Wundersitz is still looking for participants. To sign up contact him at: [email protected]

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Many cyclists in Singapore are bastards!!! When they are sharing the road with the cars and trucks, they expect other drivers to give space to them (1m apart). However, they are riding at very fast speed at PCN and they expect joggers and pedestrians to give way to them also!!!

Bastard cyclists
It’s 1.5m not 1m. It’s required by law. On PCN I normally turn off my strava so I don’t need to ask pedestrians to fuck off. There is a 25kmh speed limit on PCN anyway. Having said that, many of these pedestrians don’t realise that they’re not suppose to stand in the middle of the pcn or just cut across without looking at traffic. Morons!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It’s 1.5m not 1m. It’s required by law. On PCN I normally turn off my strava so I don’t need to ask pedestrians to fuck off. There is a 25kmh speed limit on PCN anyway. Having said that, many of these pedestrians don’t realise that they’re not suppose to stand in the middle of the pcn or just cut across without looking at traffic. Morons!
very treacherous at pcn. i only fell twice in sg, and they all happened on the pcn. 1st was ah neh who cycled in an erratic manner and cut me off after i slowed down and gave him sextra 6.9 feet to cross. he slowed down to allow me to pass but sped up and crashed into me from my left rear when i was about to pass. 2nd was a bangla worker who pulled a long hose across my path causing me to fall head over heels.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
very treacherous at pcn. i only fell twice in sg, and they all happened on the pcn. 1st was ah neh who cycled in an erratic manner and cut me off after i slowed down and gave him sextra 6.9 feet to cross. he slowed down to allow me to pass but sped up and crashed into me from my left rear when i was about to pass. 2nd was a bangla worker who pulled a long hose across my path causing me to fall head over heels.
Too bad not chio bu… otherwise you could have told her you’re head over heels falling for her