• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

which brand of ultra book would you buy?

mulvi74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apple prices in Malaysia are very cheap ... about 10-15% cheaper than oz (though this may have been wiped out by the oz dollar falling the last few weeks)

Only drawback of an Air is you can't put more RAM in once you have purchased it as it is soldered to the motherboard

My pro had the stock standard 4GB when I bought but when I put CS6 on, forget about it, it slowed it right up so had to put 16GB in

Would not have been an option with an Air

shctaw

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I download OpenOffice (MS office clones) into my macbook pro for free.

Try MacBook Air. Slim and Sexy.

Jah have you used MacBook before? You will not regret I guarantee. After a while when you look at the person beside you starting up and shutting down their WIN platforms you'll you like me now wondering why people are still using it. No virus so far too without any protection, go raw. If you need MS Office I found the Mac full version is pretty inexpensive too.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I download OpenOffice (MS office clones) into my macbook pro for free.

Try MacBook Air. Slim and Sexy.

I looked at weight of the mac book pro. The 15" is around 2.02kg only cos of the 3rd party gpu added in while the the 13" is 1.62 and the air is 1kg honestly i don't think one will even feel the difference unless he paid special attention to the weight. Try carrying say a 5kg dumbell in your hand and notice how light it is. I really think 1 extra kg at such a light weight would even make a difference to a human.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apple prices in Malaysia are very cheap ... about 10-15% cheaper than oz (though this may have been wiped out by the oz dollar falling the last few weeks)

Only drawback of an Air is you can't put more RAM in once you have purchased it as it is soldered to the motherboard

My pro had the stock standard 4GB when I bought but when I put CS6 on, forget about it, it slowed it right up so had to put 16GB in

Would not have been an option with an Air

Yes . Malaysia tablet/laptop is about 10~15% cheaper compare to SG. Even original Window license also cheap compare to SG.
Best thing is you can buy in Malaysia and have warranty in SG because is world wide warranty . That what I being doing and also helping friend to buy in Malaysia. No need pack in stupid IT show.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
mac book air 13" at 1.36kg, macbook pro 13" at 2.06 kg probably cos of the dvd rom and 13" pro with retina display at 1.61kg so it's just around 300g heavier than the air. I think this weight difference is neligable.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes . Malaysia tablet/laptop is about 10~15% cheaper compare to SG. Even original Window license also cheap compare to SG.
Best thing is you can buy in Malaysia and have warranty in SG because is world wide warranty . That what I being doing and also helping friend to buy in Malaysia. No need pack in stupid IT show.

With the Apple store at JB's City View Mall you can take a bus to JB & pickup any Mac product & just carry it to Spore.

With iPads & notebooks being so common many people just carry it into Spore without declaring & paying gst. Of course most Sporeans are law abiding & pay all their taxes:biggrin:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Mine comes with the max 8GB of ddr3 ram is yours with the retina display? 2556 x 1620 res or something like that which is like the res of a 28inch monitor on a 13" screen.

Do you need to fly before you can get that offer from the airport something like buying the duty free cigs/liquor? Well when i came back from overseas almost 2 weeks back i didn't need a lappy.

Jah, I don't have retina. I do video gaming and graphics on my Pro just simply having fun with it like music, photos, home video editing, home design etc. Also I watch movies on big screen. So after waiting for the retina to launch and testing it I thought I don't need it it don't suit my purpose, was disappointed of the waiting though so settled for the normal screen instead.

You need to show them your boarding pass so yes you need to prove that you you leaving.

Oh two more things

- I also wanted a really large storage and thought the hardisk better suit me so I chose the non-retina which has a smaller capacity I think at that time

- If you leave the country with a brand new MacBook I advise you to remove all packaging if not may kenna tax at your new destination.

Last edited:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jah, I don't have retina. I do video gaming and graphics on my Pro just simply having fun with it like music, photos, home video editing, home design etc. Also I watch movies on big screen. So after waiting for the retina to launch and testing it I thought I don't need it it don't suit my purpose, was disappointed of the waiting though so settled for the normal screen instead.

You need to show them your boarding pass so yes you need to prove that you you leaving.

Oh two more things

- I also wanted a really large storage and thought the hardisk better suit me so I chose the non-retina which has a smaller capacity I think at that time

- If you leave the country with a brand new MacBook I advise you to remove all packaging if not may kenna tax at your new destination.

wow what are the chances that one needs to get a new Macbook when he flys or decides to get it during that time.

Btw customs needs to scan laptops do you have any horror stories to share of mishandled lappies?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Btw customs needs to scan laptops do you have any horror stories to share of mishandled lappies?

Not a horror story but just a question.

Does anyone know why they ask people to take out their notebooks from the carry-on luggage before it goes through the x-ray machine:confused: Why can't they just xray the laptop while it's in ones carry-on luggage?

Last edited:

Crane

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup i require a new notebook and there's these sleek thin type of notebooks that they call ultrabooks. After using ipads i have not actually used a portable windows based lappy/notebook for some time.

I suggest ASUS ultra-book. Get a USB-docking device so that you can connect to multiple screens for trading. Get a high speed model with big RAM. You don't need fanciful things like tablet notebook because what you need is speed and a computer that is reliable.

Use wired connections. Wireless connections can be off for a few crucial split-seconds - makes the whole difference in trading.

Last edited:

Mee Poh Man

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest ASUS ultra-book. Get a USB-docking device so that you can connect to multiple screens for trading. Get a high speed model with big RAM. You don't need fanciful things like tablet notebook because what you need is speed and a computer that is reliable.

Use wired connections. Wireless connections can be off for a few crucial split-seconds - makes the whole difference in trading.

there is a universal dock for all ultrabook?