• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Where can I find Satay Celup in Singapore?

tenggiri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the correction bro N Wongwan. Had this makan once in Melaka many many years ago. Never had the urge to look for it again. Prefer the plain stock type (lok lok).

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the correction bro N Wongwan. Had this makan once in Melaka many many years ago. Never had the urge to look for it again. Prefer the plain stock type (lok lok).

The lok lok has evolved to include deep frying and BBQ...it's also much more hygienic now without the communal dip sauces....the retrofit trucks have everything to serve up a delicious meal on wheels....

Funny it seems more popular in JB than KL....though in KL they have a famous stall in chinatown with the hole in the table.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Damn dirty this Celup thingy..... you eat the saliva of the people who used the sauce before you did.... together with germs, TB bacteria, HIV viruses...

And the damn hawkers never change the sauce the whole night, serving many different families, all dipping into everybody's mouth jucies............ pui.....
not sure about tis celup tingy ... nowadays, 4 roadside dip-dip, dey dun provide common sos 4 dipping ur stick in2 any mor ... dey gif each a styrofoam dish n u scoop sos from common container on2 ur own styrofoam ...

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's communal dining for ya!

Aiyah, 5,000 yrs ago and now, some of us have become conscious of germs and bacteria and separate stuff into individual bowls with a serving spoon, use individual dipping saucers, etc.

Yu Sheng is a step backward, everyone chanting wise words, spitum onto raw fish, mixed, and makan.

Cheers!

Not only the messy way of eating but the way of "cleaning" the pot and the table too. When one table of customers has left, the assistant just wipe the table and the rim of the pot with the same tablecloth that I don't know has been used on how many tables already. The pot of gravy is not removed but waiting for other customers who when arrived, the pot is then topped up with fresh gravy mixed into used gravy. This goes on and on until shop is closed.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not only the messy way of eating but the way of "cleaning" the pot and the table too. When one table of customers has left, the assistant just wipe the table and the rim of the pot with the same tablecloth that I don't know has been used on how many tables already. The pot of gravy is not removed but waiting for other customers who when arrived, the pot is then topped up with fresh gravy mixed into used gravy. This goes on and on until shop is closed.

Same for the bedsheets at fuck shops in Geylang. They only changed the bedsheets after shop close or next morning, before welcoming the first fucker.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks for highlighting this - I will just eat cockles the usual way then.

Cheers!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Same for the bedsheets at fuck shops in Geylang. They only changed the bedsheets after shop close or next morning, before welcoming the first fucker.

You can link anything to Geylang fuckshops!

Back to the topic, I've tried both Lok Lok and Celup style before. I agree with Forvendet that Celup shop practice is somewhat suspect hygienically. And I agree with your analogical advice, be the first on the table of the day. My experience with street Lok Lok stalls, the stallholder will forbid you a second dip into the gravy once your skewer touch your mouth. So, it's one dip with fresh skewers only. In Celup shops, nobody gives a damn. Lok Lok stall is easy to control since it's a small stall with customers standing right in front of the stallholders. Celup shops, how to control table to table? If you like it that much, you'd just have to bear with it, pretend to forget about it and enjoy your food. :biggrin:

Last edited:

marinercw

The Lok Lok at Old Airport Road isn't the same as the Malacca Satay celup. Satay celup cooks the food in the satay gravy and are recycled. The Lok Lok in Singapore; soak the sticks of food in hot water and then dipped in satay sauce. There is another one at Dunman Food Centre. The Lok Lok in Singapore doesn't recycle the hot water.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Younger forummers here missed out on this foodfare nowadays. Yes, those days can find it in Koek rd. But hygiene is always suspect. Like satay, they put a certain fixed amount on the table. After eating, the hawker wld come and count the sticks left and arrived at how much you have eaten, and you pay accordingly. Then the balance is carried forward to the next customer. If you are one of the latecomers, you dont know how 'clean' the uncooked sticks are. Someone might have coughed onto it, or sneezed. Hehe..

But nowadays, isnt satay beehoon a condensed version of it?

Last edited:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Younger forummers here missed out on this foodfare nowadays. Yes, those days can find it in Koek rd. But hygiene is always suspect. Like satay, they put a certain fixed amount on the table. After eating, the hawker wld come and count the sticks left and arrived at how much you have eaten, and you pay accordingly. Then the balance is carried forward to the next customer. If you are one of the latecomers, you dont know how 'clean' the uncooked sticks are. Someone might have coughed onto it, or sneezed. Hehe..

But nowadays, isnt satay beehoon a condensed version of it?

I think that the serve first, count later and collect back the balance practice is even worse than the Malacca celup shop practice. At least there, once you take it out of the cabinet, it's yours and you must pay for it, eat it or not. When it comes to must pay, people don't play around with food and the shop can afford to throw away food once touched, whether eaten or not.

Satay beehoon is one of my favourites. Unfortunately, hard to find nowadays. There was a good one at AMK Central. I remember everytime I visited GMS shop, I was sure to have one. Sadly, that's also gone somewhere I don't know where. There's a good one at Upper Boon Keng HC and Toa Payoh Hub FC (naturally more expensive but still good standard at least).

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

How come so hard to find? There's one at the kopitiam at Kangkar Mall at Hougang beside the new NTUC Fairprice. This mall is behind the existing Hougang Mall. Ask yr MP Yaw Shin leong.

There's at least one at Sengkang Square kopitiam outside compass pt. At Ponggol Blk 168 Ponggol Plaza koufu there's anotehr one.

There ought to be one at Lau Pasat also and Old Airport rd. FC.

Satay beehoon is one of my favourites. Unfortunately, hard to find nowadays.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How come so hard to find? There's one at the kopitiam at Kangkar Mall at Hougang beside the new NTUC Fairprice. This mall is behind the existing Hougang Mall. Ask yr MP Yaw Shin leong.

Oh sure he knows, I think he treated me once there before. But I don't go there often. Boon Keng and Toa Payoh is about just nice within range. Point is, satay beehoon is getting rarer and rarer.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello, within just sengkang and ponggol, I alerady pointed out at least two. Now I remember there's another stall at the FC outside MRT Buangkok stn. How can you say rare?

Oh sure he knows, I think he treated me once there before. But I don't go there often. Boon Keng and Toa Payoh is about just nice within range. Point is, satay beehoon is getting rarer and rarer.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Satay beehoon must be one of those food born out of necessity.
Someone must have thought of the dish because did not want leftover satay gravy to go to waste.