• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat What will happen if govt announced a 1 month complete full lockdown to combat COVID19?

learninsin

Given the gradual increased in number of new cases, the above possibility is imminent. I wonder what would be the general public reactions if it is enforced? Any thoughts?

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even full lockdown will be of not much help cos damaged is done, own opinion.if mask ip for sll including non sick person , it will be a piece of cake but too late already, the papigs should listen to the opposition ,now all up lorry

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Suggest lockdown for 2 months, rent cruise ships to send all maids there. Lock them now. Check their health condition... including STD.

STD is seious virus croos contamiation in surface if maid chby itichy scratch and spread to hard surface.

End the maid program. Start clean own house, dont be lazy...

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should they?

43 cases in Singapore.
404 in dorms which are already in lockdown.

Why would you need to lockdown the whole of sg for the 43 cases?
you suprise me with your argument

its not what you have now in hand but what is projected to be

as a doc ,you should know better than this...for eg,the infection rate is calculated to be say 1 is to 3 for flu ,but this covid 19 thingy is somewhere in the ballpark of 1 is to 13?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
you suprise me with your argument

its not what you have now in hand but what is projected to be

as a doc ,you should know better than this...for eg,the infection rate is calculated to be say 1 is to 3 for flu ,but this covid 19 thingy is somewhere in the ballpark of 1 is to 13?

Look at the number of non dormitory cases.

It has actually come down.

The other thing is not so much abour how cases you tested positive because that depends on criteria for testing and capacity to test.

The whole flattening of the curve strategy was to prevent the hospitals from getting overwhelmed.

The hospitals in Singapore are no where near overwhelmed whatsoever.

Plus the number of deaths has remained extremely extremely low compared to the rest of the world.

Unless the whole maid caught covid19 from the foreign workers then passed to the family they work for then that will cause a problem.

So far we have not seen that. Unless the Singapore govt knows something else I would say having 43 cases in the wider Singapore population is a pretty good number.

My friends in hospital say the situation there is calm. That's what matters most.

Modeling and projections are not accurate. Singapore has instituted far more stringent physical distancing now. So the numbers of infected cases detected should come down outside of those in the dorms. The dorms are already overcrowded. Nothing much can be done at this stage. Expect close to 80% infected cases for all the dorms.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

The other thing is not so much abour how cases you tested positive because that depends on criteria for testing and capacity to test.

The whole flattening of the curve strategy was to prevent the hospitals from getting overwhelmed.

Plus the number of deaths has remained extremely extremely low compared to the rest of the world.

Unless the whole maid caught covid19 from the foreign workers then passed to the family they work for then that will cause a problem.

So far we have not seen that. Unless the Singapore govt knows something else I would say having 43 cases in the wider Singapore population is a pretty good number.

My friends in hospital say the situation there is calm. That's what matters most.
point well taken...good on ya

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Modeling and projections are not accurate. Singapore has instituted far more stringent physical distancing now. So the numbers of infected cases detected should come down outside of those in the dorms. The dorms are already overcrowded. Nothing much can be done at this stage. Expect close to 80% infected cases for all the dorms.

This shows that the PAP is the best!

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal

So to protect hospitals. The whole country suffer? N who will flood hospitals? The old n infirmed? Is it worth it?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
This shows that the PAP is the best!
If you look at the data across all ASEAN countries they are all doing well.

No single ASEAN country is overwhelmed despite the fact that many are 3rd world countries.

In fact as @Leongsam pointed out Vietnam has incredibly low numbers.

I suspect it is because of the hot weather. Covid19 is very vulnerable to heat. It relies on an intact lipid layer to survive.

Any virus that falls on surfaces higher than 25 degrees will cause the virus to die.

Hence third world countries with less air conditioning will have environments covid19 is less likely to survive in.

It has less to do with the government more to do with the environment.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
So to protect hospitals. The whole country suffer? N who will flood hospitals? The old n infirmed? Is it worth it?

I suggested not shutting down but having the government indemnify doctors and hospitals. You get covid19 you stay at home and let nature take its course. 80% likely you will survive.

Also they could spend more money and get more resources for the hospital. Increase capacity. More drs. More nurses. Etc. Still cheaper than shutdown.

But the politicians are scared. They are going with populist policies.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you look at the data across all ASEAN countries they are all doing well.

No single ASEAN country is overwhelmed despite the fact that many are 3rd world countries.

In fact as @Leongsam pointed out Vietnam has incredibly low numbers.

I suspect it is because of the hot weather. Covid19 is very vulnerable to heat. It relies on an intact lipid layer to survive.

Any virus that falls on surfaces higher than 25 degrees will cause the virus to die.

Hence third world countries with less air conditioning will have environments covid19 is less likely to survive in.

It has less to do with the government more to do with the environment.
i think you nailed it to somewhat ..that is weather ...interestingly India and Africa too fare quite well .

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The numbers will get higher.

A virus is not something you can 'fight'... all measures implemented so far have been the same for centuries: avoidance of human contact and isolation. Then just pray for minimal damage and for the pandemic to quickly pass.

Unspiritual, materialistic people obsessed with numbers and petty gains and 'SCIENCE' will never understand this. Viruses are sentient beings. :cool:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
i think you nailed it to somewhat ..that is weather ...interestingly India and Africa too fare quite well .

Exactly!

It is the weather.

Right now the northern hemisphere is just coming out of winter.

Even during summer some places are still very cool. Eg Canada.

The hotter the country is the less transmission.

Also depends on how air conditioned the country is.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
The situation in SG is unique and different from the rest of the world. You may lock down the foreign workers.

COVID-19 does not discriminate foreign workers from locals. You must take into account that the few hundreds of foreign workers only tested positive now could have infected much more via human to human over the past weeks.

Unless the same levels of testing is done on the local population to weed out those already infected, a lockdown to stem it is wise at this point in time.

The small inconvenience is a small cost to a larger looming problem.

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't think there is going to be anything drastic happening even if the government were to announce an extension of the lockdown period. Singaporeans are not going to go on strike or vote the government out in the coming election. By and large, Singaporeans still have the trust in the government for doing the right things , albeit this time round, the government is more reactive than proactive in handling the coronavirus situation.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggested not shutting down but having the government indemnify doctors and hospitals. You get covid19 you stay at home and let nature take its course. 80% likely you will survive.

Also they could spend more money and get more resources for the hospital. Increase capacity. More drs. More nurses. Etc. Still cheaper than shutdown.

But the politicians are scared. They are going with populist policies.
More drs n nurses dont happen overnight. Can u train them in 1 week? The issue is if its normal flu like symptoms. Get mc n medication n stay at home etc.

For those with compromised immune system and have no ability to look after themselves. Like disabled, dementia, totally invalid etc. Let them move on. Wat value are they to their families? Of course age care industries wont like it as they lost customers. N as u said hospitals have the capacity so why the destruction of the economy for nothing.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The situation in SG is unique and different from the rest of the world. You may lock down the foreign workers.

COVID-19 does not discriminate foreign workers from locals. You must take into account that the few hundreds of foreign workers only tested positive now could have infected much more via human to human over the past weeks.

Unless the same levels of testing is done on the local population to weed out those already infected, a lockdown to stem it is wise at this point in time.

The small inconvenience is a small cost to a larger looming problem.
So wat if 80% of the popn is infected? Will all of them die? So wat the big deal?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
More drs n nurses dont happen overnight. Can u train them in 1 week? The issue is if its normal flu like symptoms. Get mc n medication n stay at home etc.

For those with compromised immune system and have no ability to look after themselves. Like disabled, dementia, totally invalid etc. Let them move on. Wat value are they to their families? Of course age care industries wont like it as they lost customers. N as u said hospitals have the capacity so why the destruction of the economy for nothing.

Easy for you to say things like let your family member die what value are they to you when you are not facing eg re election.

Similarly no doctor without indemnity would say such things Salma Khalik would be all over it and SMC will strike off such doctors for conduct unbecoming.

Name me when in reality anyone ever nonchalantly tells another person to let their family die because they are old disabled or useless and not suffer consequences?

I get that you want the economy to get back on track. I do too. However nobody has the courage to make such decisions that will involve the deaths of some people as it will impact their careers too.

While you say that shutdown will cause many to lose their jobs, if say LHL decided to order everyone to go to work then he will lose his position.

Every man for himself.