• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What Oppositon candidates say and what they should not say in Public

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is something that all opposition should be mindful when they make comments in public. In politics one should be very careful about endorsing your opponents in public.

The Lily Neo comments by GMS is a good example.

Rule 1:
Highlight your strengths and the weakness of your opponents always like a mantra.

Rule 2:
If your opponent is good, well liked by the voters and has done well for the underdogs in society in Parliament such Lily Neo, be careful about making negative comments about the opponent that will put the voters off-side. However do not make positive comments and thereby endorsing the opponent as GMS has done. This is an example of what one should do by capitalising on the media opportunity.

"Unfortunately, her party, the PAP is not even listening to its own MPs. As an opposition member, I do not have to worry about the whip and never have to toe the party line" This is simple example of being negative about the PAP without putting Lily Neo's supporters offside.

Rule 3:
If lost for words, talk about the what you and your party can do while you gather your thoughts. But never ever endorse the opponent. The game is to win a seat. The game is not about being a nice guys.

Rule 4:
Quit politics if you have complimented your opponents on more than 2 occasions even if they are nicer than Mother Theresa.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If your opponent is good, well liked by the voters and has done well for the underdogs in society in Parliament such Lily Neo, be careful about making negative comments about the opponent that will put the voters off-side. However do not make positive comments and thereby endorsing the opponent as GMS has done.

The problem with Goh Meng Seng is that he thinks he is being sarcastic by portraying Lily Neo as the "head" of the Jln Besar PAP team over and above Yacoob. When in fact the average newspaper reader will never get his intended sarcasm and will miss his point totally.

This is a classic case of an opposition candidate talking to himself rather than to the voters.

As I said, GMS really needs to improve. All MBT had to do was stay out of the forum and let GMS shoot himself in the foot over the "taking care" issue. Now everyone has forgotten to ask MBT to account for his ward being dirty.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem with Goh Meng Seng is that he thinks he is being sarcastic by portraying Lily Neo as the "head" of the Jln Besar PAP team over and above Yacoob. When in fact the average newspaper reader will never get his intended sarcasm and will miss his point totally.

This is a classic case of an opposition candidate talking to himself rather than to the voters.

As I said, GMS really needs to improve. All MBT had to do was stay out of the forum and let GMS shoot himself in the foot over the "taking care" issue. Now everyone has forgotten to ask MBT to account for his ward being dirty.

At this rate, nobody in NSP is gonna want to contest with MS Goh during the elections. Except maybe his ITE friend who will be rejected by the RP. :biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The problem with Goh Meng Seng is that he thinks he is being sarcastic by portraying Lily Neo as the "head" of the Jln Besar PAP team over and above Yacoob. When in fact the average newspaper reader will never get his intended sarcasm and will miss his point totally. ...
me tot he dunno who's head there ... :o

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the first place, should a potential MP take part in this type of forums?

Actually there is nothing wrong with posting their propaganda here if people can accept it. But they must accept that if discussion spiral out of hand, all kinds of comment will come in. That is why certain opposition members take the less riskier way by not participating in online forums. You either get a big break or the tables will turn on you.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is something that all opposition should be mindful when they make comments in public. In politics one should be very careful about endorsing your opponents in public.

Rule 1:
Highlight your strengths and the weakness of your opponents always like a mantra.

Rule 2:
If your opponent is good, well liked by the voters and has done well for the underdogs in society in Parliament such Lily Neo, be careful about making negative comments about the opponent that will put the voters off-side. However do not make positive comments and thereby endorsing the opponent as GMS has done. This is an example of what one should do by capitalising on the media opportunity.

"Unfortunately, her party, the PAP is not even listening to its own MPs. As an opposition member, I do not have to worry about the whip and never have to toe the party line" This is simple example of being negative about the PAP without putting Lily Neo's supporters offside.

Rule 3:
If lost for words, talk about the what you and your party can do while you gather your thoughts. But never ever endorse the opponent. The game is to win a seat. The game is not about being a nice guys.

Rule 4:
Quit politics if you have complimented your opponents on more than 2 occasions even if they are nicer than Mother Theresa.

Well said!

He needs to improve A LOT, particularly, his PR skills and his communication skills.

He also needs to humble his own inflated ego.

Finally, instead of ranting in this forum, he needs to go talk to the voters more to find out whether they are the sort who will appreciate or understand his brand of sarcasm. If not, it will be him talking to himself.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually there is nothing wrong with posting their propaganda here if people can accept it. But they must accept that if discussion spiral out of hand, all kinds of comment will come in. That is why certain opposition members take the less riskier way by not participating in online forums. You either get a big break or the tables will turn on you.

In the case of GMS, things surely has gotten out of hand.

Of coz there is nothing wrong in participating in online forums but the stage should be different. This forum is too informal and normally political discussions get entangled with personal attacks.

Personally I had sent some comments on NSP which went unanswered. These are logical and proper questions that need to be addressed. Unfortunately it has gone unnoticed but instead I see that members of the party is still busy on this type of forums when they should be answering to the queries of the general public. A person who puts himself as a potential leader cannot sway away from difficult questions.

Also this forum has also shown the divide amongst the opposition parties. The opposition needs to show singularity against their common opponent.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scroobal: You never fail to impress me with your profound comments and observation. S'pore needs people like you! You must have impressed exSINgaporean too. He wants to have coffee with us when he returns to S'pore to visit his father. You make a great Political Consultant.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
exSingaporean has been great for our brothers who have crossed over to Canada. Really nice and honest guy.

QUOTE=GoldenDragon;593511]Scroobal: You never fail to impress me with your profound comments and observation. S'pore needs people like you! You must have impressed exSINgaporean too. He wants to have coffee with us when he returns to S'pore to visit his father. You make a great Political Consultant.[/QUOTE]

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. The media will now zoom towards him for nice compliments and end up highlighting the compliments only. Siew Kum Ho is one really chap who gives very critical and incisive comments when facing the media. His attention to the issues that need to be addressed is always front and centre. Thats why the Govt did not give him a second bite of the NMP cherry.

The Eurasian girl singer Eunice Olsen is really a nice lady. She prepares really good and critical speeches but hopeless in front of the media. She is rather naive and has been politically manipulated. They gave her a second term despite not delivering any substance over 2 terms.

I am using Siew and Olsen because they are very nice people but at the ends of the political spectrum.

GMS has to decide how his approach has to be. He is too close to Eunice and far from Siew.

Notice that he ends up defending the more gullible ones in this forum.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Believe me, GMS will come on and rationalise himself. And he'll blow it again. We have always misunderstood him. Gee! How to have a political leader who's always being misunderstood? the only person who understands him is himself.

Rule 1:

Rule 2:

Rule 3:

Rule 4:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He used to be worse. Never give up on an argument and the whole forum ended up in a flame war.

I nearly fell off my chair when I saw his comments about Lily Neo to the press.

Has he ever wondered why no PAP MP has complimented him or the rest. The only occasions when compliments were given when PAP failed to retain PP and Hougang and Steve Chia for his campaigning. And only 2 PAP MPs have done - GCT and the old man.

Yaw and GMS need to understand why they have never been complimented by PAP MPs in public.

Believe me, GMS will come on and rationalise himself. And he'll blow it again. We have always misunderstood him. Gee! How to have a political leader who's always being misunderstood? the only person who understands him is himself.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
The most successful politicians are often the most manipulative ones too. GMS, for me, is just too naive and unpolished for the politics game.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In the early 80s when there was no TC authority officially assigned to MP...

JBJ : I'll take care, look after, look out for you with the best of my ability. Whatever municipal problem or national issue you have, don't hesitate to come and see me. Don't worry if you're English ed or Chinese ed. I'll have interpretators here to help. I'll take care of the town you live in and your rights to a voice in Parliament.

Fast forward to 2010 after TC authority has been assigned to MP...

GMS : I'll speak for you in Parliament. As for the town, I'll look after but not take care. Any muncipal problem, please go and see the town council manager. If he's not good enough, I'll sack him and find another one. You people must change your mentality. The English ed can't think straight. The priority is to make noise in Parliament!

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yaw and GMS need to understand why they have never been complimented by PAP MPs in public.

Because there is nothing to compliment. Unlike Chiam, Low and Steve, they are nothing. Look at GMS's spastic posture, people see already want to laugh, let alone vote him as MP.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the early 80s when there was no TC authority officially assigned to MP...

JBJ : I'll take care, look after, look out for you with the best of my ability. Whatever municipal problem or national issue you have, don't hesitate to come and see me. Don't worry if you're English ed or Chinese ed. I'll have interpretators here to help. I'll take care of the town you live in and your rights to a voice in Parliament.

Fast forward to 2010 after TC authority has been assigned to MP...

GMS : I'll speak for you in Parliament. As for the town, I'll look after but not take care. Any muncipal problem, please go and see the town council manager. If he's not good enough, I'll sack him and find another one. You people must change your mentality. The English ed can't think straight. The priority is to make noise in Parliament!

Clear and concise!

jw5

Loyal
What they should not say in public:

"The english educated this ....................
The chinese educated that ..................."

This is a 100% confirmed voter turn-off.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
What they should not say in public:

"The english educated this ....................
The chinese educated that ..................."

This is a 100% confirmed voter turn-off.

All these gonna be campaign fodder during the elections :biggrin:

But most of all, Mr MS Goh, do you endorse or condemn chee's letter to MM Lee? :biggrin: