• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

What if a psychopathic god exists?

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://atheism.about.com/b/2012/11/20/comment-of-the-week-what-if-a-psychopathic-god-exists.htm

If we're going to debate the existence of gods, we need to think about what sorts of gods we're supposed to be talking about - you can't just leave that question aside as if the answer were obvious. The Christian god, for example, looks positively psychopathic much of the time. What would you do if a god like that really existed?

Usually discussions and debates about the existence of gods don't do much to define what is meant by "god" - either no definition is discussed or a very minimal definition is given. There's value in that approach, but I think that occasionally more attention needs to be paid to what sort of god is being debated.

There are lots of reasons for this, but I'll focus on just one here: there can be significant moral implications to how you address and react to the issue, depending on what sort of god one is discussing. Remember, the end goal for many believers is to encourage worship of and obedience to their god. Is it moral to worship and obey a psychopath?

Broken writes:

It is obvious that, to any human standard, God's deeds are psychopathic. The bible is full of examples and only people who don't read the Bible can say the contrary.

Even the reason he gives us for this is clearly psychopathic - he compares us with inanimated pottery.

But it doesn't make God cease to exist. It really terrorizes me. It is just like there was a rapist with a gun pointed to me (worse, it is not a gun, it's eternal torture) unless I accept the fact I am made to be a husband's punchbag, that I stay shut, fake a smile and get along with this, an omnipotent psychopath, so no one can rescue me.

Worshipping and obeying a psychopath may be a practical and necessary choice to go with if you want to avoid torture, but how well would you be able to live with yourself? Would you really want to exist as part of such a system, and indeed as part of the justification for that system?

tualingong

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you read the bible. You have known Jesus is either a mad man or he is really son of God.

Majority concluded that he is not a mad man.

The same cannot be said of buddha.

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you read the bible. You have known Jesus is either a mad man ...

A psychopath is not a mad person.

Psychopathy is a specific form of psychological personality disorder, clinically known as Antisocial Personality Disorder and characterized by lack of empathy or conscience, a difficulty controlling impulses, and manipulative behaviors. Psychopaths can be charming, and are adept at focusing their cold, calculating efforts solely on self-gratification, typically at the expense of others (Hare 1999, Millon 1998).

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
have you actually question the sanity of buddha?

I wonder why people like you are able to make repeatedly wild or blind claim without substantiation. And still think that your knowledge(or rather ignorance) is above water. Isn't wisdom a forbidden fruit in your believe?

images

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism. -Albert Einstein

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
name 5 worst crimes that you can think of; rape, murder, slavery, destruction, genocide.

guess who have committed them in the bible?

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope to add two more: INCEST and INFANCIDE

Where infancide is concerned, the justification made by many believers that God were just in killing wicked people will not hold water. What wrong babies done?

Toronto

Alfrescian
Loyal
II Thessalonians 2:11
God shall send them strong delusion that they should believe a lie.