• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Well done: IBM shutting its Tampines plant, laying off more workers

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
Nine years after it opened with much fanfare, global technology giant IBM’s manufacturing facility in Tampines will be shut, with the remaining workers to be laid off.

The shutting of the IBM Singapore Technology Park comes after several rounds of retrenchments were carried out between May and July last year.

.........majority of the employees — at least 70 per cent — will leave the company at the end of this month, while the rest will leave at the end of July.

Two of them, from separate teams with a combined strength of more than 50, each said that their whole team will be gone.

They were notified of the plant’s closure and their impending retrenchment in early March.

IBM’s employees will be receiving one month of salary for each year of service as part of their compensation package, while those working for its logistics subcontractor Geodis will be receiving two weeks of salary for each year of service.

More at https://tinyurI.com/y5qxyrf7

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore gone case everyone moving to Malaysia because cheaper rent and manpower.
I think they are all moving back to the US as trump giving them incentives.
As for the japs, automation makes production in japan just as cheap as in thailand.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
they invested so much in the manufacturing plant but yet abandoned it to move back to states. i can think of costs as main reason and probably the workers must not be ideal for their jobs. this is a big decision.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
they invested so much in the manufacturing plant but yet abandoned it to move back to states. i can think of costs as main reason and probably the workers must not be ideal for their jobs. this is a big decision.
Based on their total revenue, abandoning the plant is miniscule. The workers can even ask to take over the plant and be contractors to ibm if they are keen on outsourcing. I have seen many times this occured when US plants have plans to shut down.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Based on their total revenue, abandoning the plant is miniscule. The workers can even ask to take over the plant and be contractors to ibm if they are keen on outsourcing. I have seen many times this occured when US plants have plans to shut down.

something went wrong somewhere perhaps, what are we missing??

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
something went wrong somewhere perhaps, what are we missing??
ginni_rometty.jpg

Ginni rometty ibm ceo.

Xisiqomelir

Alfrescian
Loyal
ibm is a machine of the past, i doubt they can sustain that kind of revenue for the future. 80 billion usd in 2o18.

Are you sure about that? The vast majority of Big Blue's revenue is cloud services and cloud service-related consulting and add-ons. Legacy hardware is minuscule in comparison. Now that they've bought Red Hat they basically own the Linux distro family (RHEL/Fedora/Scientific/CentOS) most deployed in production servers worldwide.

wE2XJg4.png

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Are you sure about that? The vast majority of Big Blue's revenue is cloud services and cloud service-related consulting and add-ons. Legacy hardware is minuscule in comparison. Now that they've bought Red Hat they basically own the Linux distro family (RHEL/Fedora/Scientific/CentOS) most deployed in production servers worldwide.

wE2XJg4.png

Kraftsy thinks IBM is still making typewriters.

100112-Selectric-Element.jpg

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

wE2XJg4.png

so many cloud players, there are google, microsoft and other international especially the europeans. your history of revenue is no guarantee they will sustain this kind of revenue.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
so many cloud players, there are google, microsoft and other international especially the europeans. your history of revenue is no guarantee they will sustain this kind of revenue.
Ibm, if i am not mistaken, were the guys who developed windows and mouse but bosses could not envisage its use and gave it away to microsoft and apple.