• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ways to educate the elderly?

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncle, who is in his mid thirties, used to be a PAP supporter. His claim is that the policies are sound, and productive. Once during dinner with my family, he casually mentioned about this year's election, asking my folks how they are going to vote, especially when my area is an SMC this year. From his tones and points, I could tell that he is getting disillusioned by the so-called "sound policies" which the supposed government is going about. When asked which party they will vote, my folks who are getting old and not willing to settle for any unexpected disturbance in their retirement years mentioned that they will probably vote for PAP this year again.

To which my uncle pointed out one thing. "Too much power will result in a unbalanced society, which the younger generation will be affected in future. Why not vote for the opposition, since the PAP is going to be the ruling party again this coming election? At the very least, there are some check and balances from the minority oppositions who are sitting in the parliament."

To my amusement, my folks ACTUALLY agreed. They like the idea of having oppositions in the system, to check and balance, to ensure that the current government is not getting too big headed for their own good. It's not about housing issues (already "owned" their house), it's not about traffic jams (my mother drives, and she's pretty understandable about the traffic conditions), it's not about the CPF annuity scheme (There is just sufficient for both of them to retire), not about FTs (doesn't affect them at all), not about inflation (they don't understand economics much) etc. It's about CHECK AND BALANCE.

If you do notice, most of the points which I have mentioned are mostly the gripes of young working adults, as well as those in the middle aged (like my uncle) A simple statement is enough to wake my parents' ideas about not voting for the PAP. They are simply not interested in what's going on during the rallies. Imagine now that the biggest bulk of PAP votes are coming from people like my parents (not highly educated, not affected much by things which bothers the younger generation) and that everyone of us just merely tell them the simple fact (check and balance), perhaps we may see a big swing in the voting pattern?

I don't know how effective this method may be, but it may well be one way of getting the opposition more votes, and perhaps a chance to win 1 or 2 GRCs along with a couple of SMCs. Remember, even if the opposition does not occupy the majority of seats in the parliament (which people like my parents would like to see), it may just be a small step for the next election, for REAL oppositions who are GOOD enough to take over the PAP.

Just a thought. Any comments?

blackreplica

Alfrescian
Loyal
You did a great thing there

Unfortunately my opinion is that the the term 'checks & balances' is a completely abstract and foreign concept to typical PAP-supporting mollycoddled old folk.

You said it yourself. Most of these older people, typical singaporeans that they are, will simply vote PAP since their interests are not directly affected by PAP's current policies

Those older folk that got shafted in recent times will definitely not vote PAP. So don't bother with them, let them do their thing. Really nice to see how these suckers only start crying when they see the coffin. And most of those who didn't probably wont want to vote anyone else because it's 'not their business'. Frankly if it were up to me i would send the latter folk en masse to the gas chambers like how the nazis did with the jews in WWII.