• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

war memorial within the Esplanade Park at Connaught Drive had been vandalised.

pegasus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah , police so garang ah: "A Police spokesperson said that efforts to bring the perpetrators to justice will not be spared."

Talk so like trying to catch the Boston bomber or Mat Selamat just because the Cenotaph was vandalised or is it because the words "DEMOCRACY" were sprayed!! I think it's the latter..

The so called vandal chose a soft target ( inappropriate, unfortunately) to get is message across cos he knew no one is guarding, watching it it or cares about it. Anything else would have attracted attention.

Good luck to our garang Police. No chance they will catch the guy. No CCTV and other fancy stuff here like they have at other likely targets. :biggrin:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wrong war, bro. This monument commemorates those who died in WW1 (1914 to 1918). That war did not have much direct effect on Singapore - it might even have benefitted the region because it pushed rubber prices up, if my history is not wrong.

Still, I would not want to desecrate a memorial to people who gave their lives to protect others, and I condemn such acts of vandalism.

I agree.. Even though I'm against NS, but this is really a despicable act by idiots who don't appreciate what these World War 2 soldiers did for S'pore..

I salute these Warriors who leave their native countries and their families to fight and die for this country..

Stupid bastards don't even know the true meaning of democracy.. If they really want to do it, then do it on the walls of the PAP HQ or better still outside the Parliament house.. Its just minutes walk from the nearby Cenotaph

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
kns, have even got chance to open spray paint, already become honey hive liaoz. no one can get near oxley rise.

Those observant enough will be able to spot crack police teams stationed at various locations as far as Salvation Army at RV/Orchard junction. Watch also for the police mobile command parked at the old Chung Cheng high near Indian temple further down.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wrong war, bro. This monument commemorates those who died in WW1 (1914 to 1918). That war did not have much direct effect on Singapore - it might even have benefitted the region because it pushed rubber prices up, if my history is not wrong.

Still, I would not want to desecrate a memorial to people who gave their lives to protect others, and I condemn such acts of vandalism.

Bro HTolas, found this on Infopedia..

History
The Cenotaph was first erected as a memorial in honour of the 124 men from Singapore who died in action during World War I. It was designed by architect Denis Santry of Swan & Maclaren and was modelled after the Whitehall Cenotaph in London, England. The foundation stone was laid on 15 November 1920 by Sir Lawrence Nunns Guillemard, Governor of the Straits Settlements, in the presence of M. Georges Clemenceau, Premier of France, as well as Major-General Sir D.H. Ridout, the General Officer Commanding the Troops, Straits Settlements. The memorial was unveiled on 31 March 1922 in a solemn ceremony by the Prince of Wales (later Duke of Windsor and King Edward VIII) during his tour of Malaya, India, Australia and New Zealand.

In 1950, the government approved an extension to the base of the structure to commemorate those who died during World War II. The extension was completed in 1951.

Description
The Cenotaph is made of local granite and is nearly 60ft high. Bronze tablets on the Cenotaph bear the names of the men who perished in World War I. The original five steps that lead up to the monument bear the dates 1914, 1915, 1916, 1917 and 1918, marking the war years. Crowning the structure is a sarcophagus with a bronze lion beneath a bronze medallion consisting of a laurel wreath of victory enclosing a crown. It symbolises the crown to which these men ad rallied and is also a reflection of the Crown Colony. Lower down is the inscription "The Glorious Dead" and below the inscription are the dates 1914-1918. On the reverse side, though no names are listed to commemorate the World War II casualties, the phrase "They died so we might live" is inscribed in the four official languages, English, Malay, Chinese and Tamil. The extended steps that were added in 1951 bear the war years 1939 to 1945 in succession. There are 14 pylons on both sides of the stone structure showing the names of famous battles, with each battle surmounted by a laurel wreath. Overall, it is a simple granite structure wrought with just a hammer and a chisel.

Authors
Zubaidah Mohamed & Valerie Chew

http://infopedia.nl.sg/articles/SIP_10_2004-12-17.html

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In early 2000s, I ever been inside this abandoned colonial bungalow at Peppys Rd..

It was rumoured that the Japs dumped the bodies of Lt Adnan and his men inside this particular bungalow..

Think the Heritage Board then renovated the bungalow and converted it to be a museum..

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is f**king senseless. Those who fought and died in the second world war should be remembered as heroes otherwise we would all be speaking Japanese now.

i think this memorial is for those who died fighting WWI. ( i saw your reply on Cenotaph, they claim extention for WWII at The Cenotaph.)

civilianwarmemorialsingapore.jpg

this is for the victims of WWII.

Last edited:

Poomer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must be the work of some young idiots..

Stupid idiots.. Want to spray democracy then its better to instead do it at the PAP HQ..

Spray on war memorial, and you'll get jail for vandalism.

Spray on PAP Hq, and you'll get jail for sedition. Next thing you know, at the end of your sentence, they detain you under the ISA.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Spray on war memorial, and you'll get jail for vandalism.

Spray on PAP Hq, and you'll get jail for sedition. Next thing you know, at the end of your sentence, they detain you under the ISA.

If vandalising the PAP HQ is too risky, then can try tying up plastic bags full of urine and throw it at the PAP HQ during the night..