• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Walcott is out of England world cup team

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
It's unofficial, but rumors are flying wild that Theo Walcott has been left out of England team together with:-

Bent,
Dawson,
Parker,
Baines,
Huddlestone,
Adam Johnson

Steven Warnott seems to get ahead of Baines poor showing, without even feature in the friendly, so too is Upson getting on the plane.

jw5

Loyal
It's confirmed on ESPN Soccernet website.
In my opinion, mistake to leave out Baines in favour of Warnock. Baines is a better defender, a better crosser of the ball and a threat at free kicks. Warnock can be a little careless sometimes.
Another mistake to leave out Walcott in favour of SWP. Walcott can be hot or cold, but when he's hot, he's electrifying. SWP is not a very smart player, he frequently makes the wrong decision.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
In my opinion, mistake to leave out Baines in favour of Warnock. Baines is a better defender, a better crosser of the ball and a threat at free kicks. Warnock can be a little careless sometimes.
Another mistake to leave out Walcott in favour of SWP. Walcott can be hot or cold, but when he's hot, he's electrifying. SWP is not a very smart player, he frequently makes the wrong decision.

Baines was poor in his distribution and did not show much going forward in the friendly and made one bad mistake tracking back that resulted in the goal. He played himself out.

One of the reason I read is, Walcott did not do what Capello wanted him to do to stay out wide and take defenders on the outside instead of coming inside. As you know Capello is very commanding when comes to discipline.

SWP is very intriguing to watch. He is a messy dribbler, he will use his foot, shin, knee, thigh and whatever to get through his defenders, very untidy but nevertheless he did. His performance for England is good, so I think he deserve to be on the plane.

Carrick is poor in the friendly. But then when capello mentioned after the Japan game that the first half is too slow and he is upset that the passing is sideway and not forward. That's when I knew Huddlestone is going to be left out, though I must say Huddlestone is better at possesion and passing compare to Carrick.

Parker don't stand a chance. He is too British. Tough tackling workhorse, more suitable to Premier league, but not International game. So too is Bent, relying on hoof up ball then anything. You can see he doesn't have the confidence to take on defender, even on one to one case.

Though Adam Johnson impresses in the few minutes, he probably miss out through lack of experience at this stage.

Talking Donkey

Alfrescian (S)
Baines was poor in his distribution and did not show much going forward in the friendly and made one bad mistake tracking back that resulted in the goal. He played himself out.

One of the reason I read is, Walcott did not do what Capello wanted him to do to stay out wide and take defenders on the outside instead of coming inside. As you know Capello is very commanding when comes to discipline.

SWP is very intriguing to watch. He is a messy dribbler, he will use his foot, shin, knee, thigh and whatever to get through his defenders, very untidy but nevertheless he did. His performance for England is good, so I think he deserve to be on the plane.

Carrick is poor in the friendly. But then when capello mentioned after the Japan game that the first half is too slow and he is upset that the passing is sideway and not forward. That's when I knew Huddlestone is going to be left out, though I must say Huddlestone is better at possesion and passing compare to Carrick.

Parker don't stand a chance. He is too British. Tough tackling workhorse, more suitable to Premier league, but not International game. So too is Bent, relying on hoof up ball then anything. You can see he doesn't have the confidence to take on defender, even on one to one case.

Though Adam Johnson impresses in the few minutes, he probably miss out through lack of experience at this stage.

Agree,that should all be the players on the plane to south africa.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Watched Walcott play for Arsenal, he is a lost lamb, over hype lah this player, only good looking. Will fizzle out in the next 2-3 years

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is quite a surprise, again. 4 years ago, everyone was wondering who the hell is this Theo Walcott that Sven-Goran Eriksson selected for England World Cup squad? Even many Arsenal fans didn't know who the hell was that? Then, he had never played a game for Arsenal senior squad, much less England.

Later, the truth emerged. Arsene Wenger recommended Walcott to Eriksson. Why? Obviously for the political reason of token Arsenal representation in the England squad. The whole Arsenal senior squad didn't even have a single England player. Eriksson wouldn't even field Walcott even when England was down to a single striker, Wayne Rooney. Eriksson wouldn't even field Walcott even when England had no more striker left on the field against Portugal when Rooney was sent off.

Fast forward to now, Walcott had a good qualifying campaign with England over the past 2 years, most memorably his hat-trick against Croatia in the 4:1 victory. If it's me, I'd choose Walcott over Emile Heskey anytime. Heskey has one of worst scoring ratio for any England striker (about 1 goal in 8 to 9 games) and he's 32 years old. Top strikers like Pele, Mario Kempes, Paolo Rossi etc. retire from internationals before 30.

In any case, my choice for the England front two now is Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch. They have the best scoring ratios since Michael Owen.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Interesting, premier league top 7 is quite evenly distributed among the selected 23 except for Arsenal 0.

Chelsea - 4
Man Utd - 3
Arsenal - 0
Spurs - 4
Man City - 3 ( includes Joe Hart )
Villa - 3
Liverpool - 3

West Ham - 2, Portsmouth - 1

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As far as football is concerned, France is African country based in Europe and Arsenal is a French club based in England.

Interesting, premier league top 7 is quite evenly distributed among the selected 23 except for Arsenal 0.

Chelsea - 4
Man Utd - 3
Arsenal - 0
Spurs - 4
Man City - 3 ( includes Joe Hart )
Villa - 3
Liverpool - 3

West Ham - 2, Portsmouth - 1

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
As far as football is concerned, France is African country based in Europe and Arsenal is a French club based in England.

Yeah, looks like next season they are going to ship out a Spanish and brings in another French.

:mad:

BlueCat

Alfrescian
Loyal
he is playing safe with those known players.
if England gets a good result in the world cup,his market value will increase.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
hmm... Englishman in Arsenal i thought Kieran Gibbs had a great season, why he's not in the initial squad? how about Ashley Young from Aston Villa?

Too young, no experiences? these 2 are way way better than Walcott lor :smile:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
It's unofficial, but rumors are flying wild that Theo Walcott has been left out of England team together with:-

Bent,
Dawson,
Parker,
Baines,
Huddlestone,
Adam Johnson

Never heard of any of them. :rolleyes:

G

Guile

07.jpg

Theo Walcott, famously a shock inclusion in Sven-Goran Eriksson's World Cup squad of 2006, was unceremoniously cut from new England boss Fabio Capello's squad.-- PHOTO: REUTERS

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
England sends a very experience side to this coming world cup, or should I say the oldest ( average age 28.7 ). :biggrin:

David James - 39
Jamie Carragher - 32
Emile Heskey - 32
Matthew Upson - 31
Rio Ferdinard - 31
Frank Lampard - 31
Steven Gerrard - 30
Robert Green - 29
John Terry - 29
Ashley Cole - 29
Peter Crouch - 29
Ledley King - 29
Gareth Barry - 29
Stephen Warnock - 28
Joe Cole - 28
Michael Carrick - 28
Shaun Wright Phillips - 28
Jermain Defoe - 27

James Milner - 26
Glen Johnson - 25
Wayne Rooney - 24
Joe Hart - 23
Aaron Lennon - 23

To most of them, this is their last chance and will be too cranky to play in the next world cup.:biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
hmm... Englishman in Arsenal i thought Kieran Gibbs had a great season, why he's not in the initial squad? how about Ashley Young from Aston Villa?

Too young, no experiences? these 2 are way way better than Walcott lor :smile:
Gibbs has been injured the whole season. He's also very young, not even 20 yet.
Ashley Young was not in the initial squad, but he should have been in my opinion. He should be going to the world cup ahead of SWP.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Theo Walcott may look good to have on the bench in case of emergency but doesn't really matter if Wayne Rooney and Peter Crouch keep fit and form through the month. My worry for England is Emile Heskey if he's selected ahead of Crouch. Heskey is the one of the worst international strikers I've ever seen in my life. Some international defenders score more international goals than him.

jw5

Loyal
The latest reports are that Rio Ferdinand may be out of the World Cup, after suffering an injury in training. Michael Dawson has been put on stand by and it looks that Ledley King will start alongside John Terry in central defence.

David James looks set to be the starting keeper after being given the Number 1 jersey.

In other injury news, Essien is out of the Ghana world cup team and Drogba suffered an injury in a friendly match for Ivory Coast.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
David James looks set to be the starting keeper after being given the Number 1 jersey.

England goalkeeper and defenders don't matter already. Just decent enough is good enough. There's simply none to equal 1966 Gordon Banks, Bobby Moore, Nobby Stiles or even 1982 Peter Shilton, Phil Thompson, Kenny Sansom. In 1966, England could survive the misfortune of top striker Jimmy Greaves out injured whilst winning by conceding less goals than they could score. Today it's simply they must score more than the the goals conceded to their opponents, which they will concede more than a few. Clean sheets are endangered species in England international games.

In other injury news, Essien is out of the Ghana world cup team and Drogba suffered an injury in a friendly match for Ivory Coast.

Seems like a Chelsea curse, Ballack, Essien and now Drogba.