• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Voters Register update

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Reported in ST...

According to a notice published on Wednesday in the electronic version of the Government Gazette, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has directed the Registration Officer to do the revision and complete it by March 31. -- ST PHOTO: LIM WUI LIANG

FOR the second time within a year, the registers of voters are being updated.

According to a notice published on Wednesday in the electronic version of the Government Gazette, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has directed the Registration Officer to do the revision and complete it by March 31.

The last revision was called exactly a year ago, on Feb 17 last year, and completed by April 30.

Under the Parliamentary Elections Act, a revision has to be carried out not more than three years after a general election. As the last election was in May 2006, the revision had to be completed by May last year.

What is unusual about this year's revision is that it comes so soon after the previous revision.

Between the November 2001 and May 2006 general elections, the rolls were updated twice - first in September 2004 and then in January 2006, four months before the May 2006 polls.

Read the full report in Thursday's edition of The Straits Times.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I suspect some dirty tricks are going on inside PAP administration. The retarded LHL is simply too afraid to lose in the coming election, it will be a total disgrace to him and his father the tyrant. Let's hope they don't go and tweak election boundaries and give us unfair surprises. The cooling day is already a clear sign of their insecurity as penned out by Catherine Lim

jw5

Loyal
He may be concerned that the names of some new citizens have not been updated. He thinks that these votes are his.

Soundwave

Alfrescian
Loyal
The so-called cooling-off period is nothing more than a safety mechanised to allow the incumbent to put into place certain measures in the event of a "freak" result.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sounds like a series of windows security updates that's going to culminate in a new version operating system. Come to think of it, ISD needs some serious industrial strength windows security updates.

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
famiLEE LEEgime may withhold the info of the newly chopped up GRC until there is not much time for opposition to react. Be watchful and careful. The law had been already amended but still undefined as to which are the actual new single seats.

It is about time for opposition to work out some basis by which 3 corner can be eliminated entirely. There is necessity also to collaborate on logistics such as exchanging nominators, this will make resolving 3 corner fight easy.

To throw smoke and confuse famiLEE LEEgime, I suggest parties to work out JOINT-WALKING ABOUT in the constituencies. Then it will give them no clue who is actually contesting where. :wink::cool::p

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Let them cut whichever they want. I just want Mah BT. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

famiLEE LEEgime may withhold the info of the newly chopped up GRC until there is not much time for opposition to react. Be watchful and careful. The law had been already amended but still undefined as to which are the actual new single seats.

It is about time for opposition to work out some basis by which 3 corner can be eliminated entirely. There is necessity also to collaborate on logistics such as exchanging nominators, this will make resolving 3 corner fight easy.

To throw smoke and confuse famiLEE LEEgime, I suggest parties to work out JOINT-WALKING ABOUT in the constituencies. Then it will give them no clue who is actually contesting where. :wink::cool::p

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

Hey, Mr. GMS,

Talking about votes, what are the specific criteria for Singaporean Citizens to legally vote?

I am under the impression that Singaporeans who do not stay for a certain period of time continuously in Singapore, CANNOT vote?

Is there such policies?

Please assist.:cool:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Hey, Mr. GMS,

Talking about votes, what are the specific criteria for Singaporean Citizens to legally vote?

I am under the impression that Singaporeans who do not stay for a certain period of time continuously in Singapore, CANNOT vote?

Is there such policies?

Please assist.:cool:

No. Now they allow Singaporeans who are overseas to vote as well.

The criteria is that you must be 21 years old at the time they update the electoral register. Secondly, you didn't miss any voting opportunity. If you are overseas when your constituency was contested and didn't vote, you need to reinstate yourself into the registry by paying a $5 fee. You can do this at the Elections Department. Must do it before the stipulated time when they are updating the electoral registry.

Goh Meng Seng

Sperminator

Alfrescian
Loyal
No. Now they allow Singaporeans who are overseas to vote as well.

The criteria is that you must be 21 years old at the time they update the electoral register. Secondly, you didn't miss any voting opportunity. If you are overseas when your constituency was contested and didn't vote, you need to reinstate yourself into the registry by paying a $5 fee. You can do this at the Elections Department. Must do it before the stipulated time when they are updating the electoral registry.

Goh Meng Seng

Dear Mr. Goh Meng Seng,

Thank you for this crucial information.

While I was overseas in the last election, I was in a location where there isn't any Singapore Consular, so I was denied the opportunity to vote.

Then, I was sent a letter from the Voting Department to actually tell me that because I have missed the earlier election, I would be barred from further voting rights in SINGAPORE.

[When any NS serving Citizens receive this kind of things, one can't help but to feel discriminated against from your own Government]

Then a letter suddenly come after a few months, and to request me to sign and reinstate, before a stated time. Which I did so.

Question : How do I confirm with the Voting Department of Singapore that I am already reinstated to Vote for the next election?

I am glad that the previous policy of staying continuously in Singapore for a period of time before you can vote is removed...

By the way, when did that policy (which is currently discontinued), actually started, how it happened to the Elections Department, and who actually suggested this? And how was it removed?

First of all, I think that policy (which is current removed), is really removing the rights of the Citizen, what if when these Citizen are overseas for a number of years for Business overseas? Why were these Citizen's discriminated?

A lot of questions in one, and hope that you could help me clarify this injustice. :cool: Thanks in advance Mr. Goh Meng Seng, I wish you a Happy Chinese New Year, and may you win the next General Election... :cool:

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
May I add to the question. Was away in 2001 GE, and my constituency was a walkover. Do I have to be reinstated?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Sperminator,

You can double check your status at the Elections department website.

http://www.elections.gov.sg/

It has been suspended for the moment as they update their registry, it will be available by 23 Feb. You just need to key in your name and NRIC number.

I think the PAP government realized that there is a big group of Singaporeans who are working and living overseas now in this globalized world. If I remember correctly, they amended the Constitution just before GE2006 to allow Singaporeans who live overseas to vote. Of course, the main target group of people are from the administration/civil service/ GLCs.

But I think if you are living in a place near the Consular that provides the voting services, you can register yourself with them for the voting if you do not want to fly back to Singapore to vote.

I think you are right, Singaporeans living overseas should not be discriminated and deprived from their rights to vote. Many countries provide oversea voting for the citizens... even third world countries are doing that. We are glad that this oversea voting system has been implemented for Singaporeans.

Goh Meng Seng

Dear Mr. Goh Meng Seng,

Thank you for this crucial information.

While I was overseas in the last election, I was in a location where there isn't any Singapore Consular, so I was denied the opportunity to vote.

Then, I was sent a letter from the Voting Department to actually tell me that because I have missed the earlier election, I would be barred from further voting rights in SINGAPORE.

[When any NS serving Citizens receive this kind of things, one can't help but to feel discriminated against from your own Government]

Then a letter suddenly come after a few months, and to request me to sign and reinstate, before a stated time. Which I did so.

Question : How do I confirm with the Voting Department of Singapore that I am already reinstated to Vote for the next election?

I am glad that the previous policy of staying continuously in Singapore for a period of time before you can vote is removed...

By the way, when did that policy (which is currently discontinued), actually started, how it happened to the Elections Department, and who actually suggested this? And how was it removed?

First of all, I think that policy (which is current removed), is really removing the rights of the Citizen, what if when these Citizen are overseas for a number of years for Business overseas? Why were these Citizen's discriminated?

A lot of questions in one, and hope that you could help me clarify this injustice. :cool: Thanks in advance Mr. Goh Meng Seng, I wish you a Happy Chinese New Year, and may you win the next General Election... :cool:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
May I add to the question. Was away in 2001 GE, and my constituency was a walkover. Do I have to be reinstated?

If you did not miss the vote, it shouldn't matter. Normally they will send you a letter to inform you about losing your voting right and you will have to pay $5 for reinstatement. But if your constituency is a walk over, they would not bother.

But to be sure, please double check your name whether it is on the electoral registry at the Elections Department.

http://www.elections.gov.sg/

It is down time now as they are updating their database. You could check it after 23 Feb.

Goh Meng Seng

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal

Goh Meng Seng

吴秘书长阁下台鉴:

:biggrin::wink:

古代王朝气数绝尽之时发生了所谓的《诸侯割据》的政治局面。

现在李家王朝的气数绝尽之时发生了类似的局面:这正是阁下所指出的《管他去怎样割法,我都只要马宝旦》这已经是一种类似《诸侯割据》的政治局面啦!

但不知是《孽党自我分割》还是被反对党分割占据了。:rolleyes:

:eek::eek::p

凡是王朝气数绝尽,情况可能大致相同。

离改朝换代的时机不远啦。百姓各自保重咯。。。

:wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
叶叔,

您太抬举我了,见笑了。

出乎我预料之外,这场将是割喉之战。历史将在这一刻形成。

吴明盛

吴秘书长阁下台鉴:

:d:wink:

古代王朝气数绝尽之时发生了所谓的《诸侯割据》的政治局面。

现在李家王朝的气数绝尽之时发生了类似的局面:这正是阁下所指出的《管他去怎样割法,我都只要马宝旦》这已经是一种类似《诸侯割据》的政治局面啦!

但不知是《孽党自我分割》还是被反对党分割占据了。:rolleyes:

:eek::eek::p

凡是王朝气数绝尽,情况可能大致相同。

离改朝换代的时机不远啦。百姓各自保重咯。。。

:wink:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds like a series of windows security updates that's going to culminate in a new version operating system. Come to think of it, ISD needs some serious industrial strength windows security updates.

I think the same way. Win7 made many self-made programs run awry. Either that or it was not properly done the last time.

coolguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is definitely not an election of life and death.
To put it this way is too serious.
The agenda is on the policy itself, it is never targeted at any specific person.
Let's hope justice will be served.
Only a despot will resort to threaten his voters to vote for him.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Early elections ( we have exactly 2 years before the due date as of now ) is a sign of confidence by the ruling party.

I guess all oppositions supporters really hope PAP will lose a GRC this time, don't disappoint us again... :biggrin: