• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vincent Wijeysingha's apology to Dr Vasoo

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS
Couple of points.

What VW did, did not reflect well on him. As much as we want to take on the PAP, lets be realistic. If I was an academic in Princeton let alone NUS, and I ask my boss if I could get Princeton to pay for courier service amounting to US $150 for my wife's thesis to be delivered to her supervisor and which Princeton has nothing to do with, what do you think will happen. Mind you we are not talking about a cleaner with low pay needing help. So anything to do with this episode should best be forgotten. Its poor judgement. The issue is not the law suit per se.

For the PAP, lawsuits does serve a powerful purpose. The threat of financial ruin though it damages the PAP's image is a proven powerful tool. Would you take on the PAP and Davinder Singh even if you have 75% chance of success. The law for defamation/slander favours the rich.

Now take the case of the Scroobal and Shanmugam. The issue was adultery. The entire legal service and most people in the corridors of power are aware what transpired. The man and his father-in-law, both Senior Counsels were at it in court over an unrelated case. Both husband and wife were represented by Senior Counsels. So why did Alex Au not take him on? And so why did they he take on Alex? Remember the case of British conservative MP and well known author Jeffrey Archer.

Hardball politics contrary to what you think is still effective for the PAP. It's calculated, selective. James Gomez is an idiot and a clown. His father was a crook. Why would they bother with Gomez. The same reason why they don't sue Uncle Yap. It does not add to their political capital.

Why did they go after Tang Liang Hong, abusing the tax laws and the tax dept. The entiire legal system in the tax dept knew that it was an abuse yet followed instruction. They went all out and took everything. You think they are moving with the times. If another Francis Seow or Tang turns up, we will be back to square one.

It is just a little saga here, don't read too much into it.
The PAP's mode of operations has changed subtly. They will not sue as long as you put up a little apology... they won't be able to do anything if they don't even know who you are... just like Scroobal and Real Singaporean.... or that, they won't bother to find out and just simply use that as an excuse not to take any action.... they could possibly find out who Scroobal or those behind Real Singaporean... in fact, I think they know who Scroobal is already, but they didn't sue.

It is just a moderated political posture... just to make a point that they value their reputation and they are maligned on the internet. They couldn't possibly sue so many people on the internet, can they? For people who claim that VW will "lose credibility" due to this incident, that's really insane. Well, do you think Scroobal has lost all his credibility here just because Shanmugam threaten to sue him?

Hardball politics is really out of fashion, out of date nowadays. GE 2011 changed it all... or rather, I would say GE 2006 has started to change that; well, did they sue James Gomez back in post GE2006 for "Criminal Intimidation" or "Criminal Defamation"? Nope. PAP is not filled with stupid fools, guys! They have realized that the era of hardball politics has passed. The Hougang By-elections has confirmed and cast this mantra in stone... Hardball is Deadball!

So relax lah. It is just a stir in the cup... not even a storm. VW has a bright future ahead, press on.

Goh Meng Seng

Last edited:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tend to agree that this was to bait the PAP. The choice of Vasoo was delliberate. Assuming he had proceeded to sue, how much can he reasonably ask for in terms of damages. He is afterall a retired ex-MP which hardly anyone remembers.

As in the SMRT workers case, the defamation trail would be widely reported both within Singapore and outside of Singapore. The cost of the awarded damages and legal costs would seem small for the amount of media coverage and publicity generated.

Somewhat coincidentally, Sham had recently laid down the ground rules for defamation. In his blog postings, VW appears to have gone out of his way to breach the rules and rack up events which have nothing to do with the SMRT strike.

I sense that you are right but it would have been tactical to use a proxy rather than VW. Classical example is our PM. He uses WKS and TCH to do all the sabre rattling, then emerges long after the dust settled to preach reconciliation etc.

VW's spiel was emotional.

SDP cannot afford to preach cooperation and unity and then start appearing chaotic.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
I tend to agree that this was to bait the PAP. The choice of Vasoo was delliberate. Assuming he had proceeded to sue, how much can he reasonably ask for in terms of damages. He is afterall a retired ex-MP which hardly anyone remembers.

As in the SMRT workers case, the defamation trail would be widely reported both within Singapore and outside of Singapore. The cost of the awarded damages and legal costs would seem small for the amount of media coverage and publicity generated.

Somewhat coincidentally, Sham had recently laid down the ground rules for defamation. In his blog postings, VW appears to have gone out of his way to breach the rules and rack up events which have nothing to do with the SMRT strike.
hahaha...what type of credible opposition is this???
purposely making false allegations.....trying/baiting to be sued because the person you maligned is assumed to be lightweight.
pse lah.....don't always shoot at shadows lah......don't shoot yourself in the foot all the time.
vw made a slip and admitted his mistake and apologise....period.

SgParent

Alfrescian
Loyal
purposely making false allegations.....trying/baiting to be sued because the person you maligned is assumed to be lightweight.
pse lah.....don't always shoot at shadows lah......don't shoot yourself in the foot all the time.

That was my thought as well
http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread....a-s-apology-to-Dr-Vasoo&p=1322529#post1322529

Anyway VW is not a White Scum, so let's move on.

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
If VW has made a slip, why is the PAP not pressing home the advantage to sue? I am sure Vasoo is just chomping at the bit and rearing to go. In his mind, he must surely be thinking greedily of the the rich rewards/benefits that await him.

Last edited:

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
en
If VW has made a slip, why is the PAP not pressing home the advantage to sue? I am sure Vasoo is just chomping at the bit and rearing to go. In his mind, he must surely be thinking greedily of the the rich rewards/benefits that await him.
hahaha.....why all this anal-ysis???
if vw did not apologise....u think vasoo will go ahead to sue him or not???
luckily vw is not as kuku as u.
btw...u are also contradicting yourself....one hand u said vasoo is a lightweight....the other hand u said vasoo is thinking greedily of the substantial potential damages

Last edited:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
The apology was somewhat insincere. It appears to be an open invite for further action. Strange that Vasoo has not sent a second letter of demand. Previously, they will always very quick to send a second letter if they felt the apology was not sincere and contrite enough.

And Vasoo is not thinking of making money from the suit but from others who will reward him for the action.

en
hahaha.....why all this anal-ysis???
if vw did not apologise....u think vasoo will go ahead to sue him or not???
luckily vw is not as kuku as u.
btw...u are also contradicting yourself....one hand u said vasoo is a lightweight....the other hand u said vasoo is thinking greedily of the substantial potential damages

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
The apology was somewhat insincere. It appears to be an open invite for further action. Strange that Vasoo has not sent a second letter of demand. Previously, they will always very quick to send a second letter if they felt the apology was not sincere and contrite enough.

And Vasoo is not thinking of making money from the suit but from others who will reward him for the action.
hahaha....pse enlighten and point out why u viewed the apology as insincere????
also the part about money ......i am totally confused by your flip flopping style....lol.

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
GMS
Couple of points.

What VW did, did not reflect well on him. As much as we want to take on the PAP, lets be realistic. If I was an academic in Princeton let alone NUS, and I ask my boss if I could get Princeton to pay for courier service amounting to US $150 for my wife's thesis to be delivered to her supervisor and which Princeton has nothing to do with, what do you think will happen. Mind you we are not talking about a cleaner with low pay needing help. So anything to do with this episode should best be forgotten. Its poor judgement. The issue is not the law suit per se.

What you said could well be right: Chee Soon Juan was caught with his hands in the till. But did he deserve to be hounded out of NUS because of that? You could easily said that he got a suspension, or a fine, or a written warning. It still looks like a miscarriage of justice to me.

One could easily say: you were reminding the whole world of the A/P Vasoo incident, and reminding everybody what lengths the PAP will go to in order to "fix" the opposition. It doesn't make the PAP look good either.