• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vincent Wijeysingha should publicly condemn SDP & Dr Chee Soon Juan

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am quite a fan of Dr Vincent Wijeysingha,despite his personal lifestyle. He is eloquent, has fire in the belly, and he is someone who can bring attention to the Singaporeans who have been overlooked by the PAP's GDP first policy. I am sure it is partly due to his efforts that the PAP is changing. For those who question his gay lifestyle, I say this to you, is it better to be openly gay or secretly desire for another grown man's ass? Ahmad Mattar? The gays can lick other grown-up man's ass for all they want, but please leave the impressionable teenagers boys and kids alone.

Dr Vincent's popularity with the electorate has definitely surpassed Dr Chee. I questioned before whether is Dr Chee relevant to SDP becaus he brought SDP to nowhere. Since his emergence in GE2011, Dr Vincent has almost become synonymous with SDP.It was Vincent who revived SDP, not Dr Chee. Someone here mentioned that Dr Vincent was the SDP candidate in the Puggol East by election .

Recently Dr Vincent has announced that he resigned from SDP . Why SDP did not persuade him to stay? I read that Dr Vincent wants to contribute to civil society and SDP was disappointed by the decision. SDP statement is odd - it said that Dr Vincent has expressed desire to get more involved in human rights and more effective to do so as non-SDP member.Is SDP saying that in the past, they were less involved in human rights issues and SDP was not a political party involved in human rights and SDP was ineffective in human rights the past?

Very very strange words from SDP.

I look around SDP websites and discovered that SDP is going to launch a Malay policy paper soon. The situation is now clearer- Dr Vincent Wijeysingha was ousted from SDP. Malays, mostly being religious and conservatives are not able to accept a prominent openly homosexual politician or a gay party.SDP's chairman Jufrie Mahmood is a Malay and they are a very closely knitted community. He surely knows what his own people are saying.

SDP is now going to abandon its human rights causes, its liberal roots, and going to court the Malay votes, which is a larger pie of the electorate. SDP is now going populist. I am convinced that the popularity of Dr Vincent (surpassing Dr Chee) and the courting of the Malay votes led to the "resignation" of Dr Vincent.

Dr Vincent should openly question SDP and its leaders. It was Dr Vincent who brought SDP to a whole new level of popularity. It was him who joined SDP as he had trust in SDP's core values. But how things have changed and SDP dumped him like a used dirty rag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINGAPORE: Dr Vincent Wijeysingha on Wednesday announced his resignation from the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) to pursue his work in civil society.

Writing on his Facebook page, Dr Wijeysingha feels that as a nation, Singaporeans have a limited appreciation of civil liberties. He noted that his Facebook post about his sexuality had attracted some debate on these rights.

He has thus decided to participate in the more intangible but no less important work to promote civil liberties.

In a separate statement, SDP's Chairman Jufrie Mahmud said Dr Wijeysingha has expressed his desire to get more involved in human rights issues, and that he finds it more effective to do it as an activist in the civil society arena.

Mr Jufrie said while the SDP is disappointed at this outcome, the party fully supports Dr Wijeysingha's position and the party's loss is civil society's gain.

Last edited:

PoliticalDialogue

Alfrescian
Loyal
I look around SDP websites and discovered that SDP is going to launch a Malay policy paper soon. The situation is now clearer- Dr Vincent Wijeysingha was ousted from SDP. Malays, mostly being religious and conservatives are not able to accept a prominent openly homosexual politician or a gay party.SDP's chairman Jufrie Mahmood is a Malay and they are a very closely knitted community. He surely knows what his own people are saying.

That's an interesting perspective. Many Malays are known to vote for PAP. So, perhaps, SDP wishes to draw to itself some of this segment of voters.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
it is his fault for pushing the gay agenda too far. SDP people and him are too the extreme and then wanted to do silly stuff like "I enter parliament, you run the town council". Great that WP rejected him flatly.

koKSia

Alfrescian
Loyal
ultimately he has no patience to fight for his agenda. he only needs to fight in smc, get in as nmp next election, then he will be able to spread the rainbow from parliament house.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
and this is what he is like, as a real person.

994570_713177558708667_1933921399_n.jpg

luckily he did not make it to parliament

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dr Vincent should openly question SDP and its leaders. It was Dr Vincent who brought SDP to a whole new level of popularity. It was him who joined SDP as he had trust in SDP's core values. But how things have changed and SDP dumped him like a used dirty rag.

I don't agree. SDP was blunted precisely because of these fringe issues and they are now moving into the mainstream and winning votes. On the other hand, once Vincent left SDP he became what SDP used to be while SDP becomes less SDP.

When Vincent joined SDP his gay identity was not known yet.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
CannonFairy,

This article is off the mark in a few aspects.

There is no indication to suggest SDP did not attempt to persuade Vincent to stay. And no evidence to suggest the parting was acrimonious as well. Unless inside information surfaces, these remain to me as just allegations.

In the past, there can be no denying that SDP concentrated heavily on a human rights / civil liberties / civil disobedience agenda, even to the point of losing votes, getting marginalised by the MSM, etc. Yes, you can say that SDP despite its mountain of effort was in fact ineffective, because for all the arrests and court charges, there was no change in the civil liberties space except for the liberalization of speaker's corner.

Moving on to the present, where VW seems to have left SDP because SDP cannot afford him opportunities to get involved in civil liberties anymore.

The latter point is obvious because the more VW gets involved in gay rights, the more people will say he has a gay agenda, and the more PAP will whack him and SDP on it. The only solution if VW wants to pursue the rainbow connection is for him to leave SDP.

It is no secret SDP has moved away from civil liberties toward vote winning, middle ground, bread-and-butter issues. The middle ground does not care about the murder to LGBTs in Russia, for instance (although it should).

It is also mischievous to link all this to the Malay thing. What has all this got to do with the Malay thing? The article seem to suggest that the religious people in SDP are anti VW and want him out. Again I say -- unless you can provide inside information, these are just allegations.

This article seems to be to be deliberately suggesting there is a rift in SDP, without actually saying it explicitly or providing any evidence. Quite mischievous.

I am quite a fan of Dr Vincent Wijeysingha,despite his personal lifestyle. He is eloquent, has fire in the belly, and he is someone who can bring attention to the Singaporeans who have been overlooked by the PAP's GDP first policy. I am sure it is partly due to his efforts that the PAP is changing. For those who question his gay lifestyle, I say this to you, is it better to be openly gay or secretly desire for another grown man's ass? Ahmad Mattar? The gays can lick other grown-up man's ass for all they want, but please leave the impressionable teenagers boys and kids alone.

Dr Vincent's popularity with the electorate has definitely surpassed Dr Chee. I questioned before whether is Dr Chee relevant to SDP becaus he brought SDP to nowhere. Since his emergence in GE2011, Dr Vincent has almost become synonymous with SDP.It was Vincent who revived SDP, not Dr Chee. Someone here mentioned that Dr Vincent was the SDP candidate in the Puggol East by election .

Recently Dr Vincent has announced that he resigned from SDP . Why SDP did not persuade him to stay? I read that Dr Vincent wants to contribute to civil society and SDP was disappointed by the decision. SDP statement is odd - it said that Dr Vincent has expressed desire to get more involved in human rights and more effective to do so as non-SDP member.Is SDP saying that in the past, they were less involved in human rights issues and SDP was not a political party involved in human rights and SDP was ineffective in human rights the past?

Very very strange words from SDP.

SDP is now going to abandon its human rights causes, its liberal roots, and going to court the Malay votes, which is a larger pie of the electorate. SDP is now going populist. I am convinced that the popularity of Dr Vincent (surpassing Dr Chee) and the courting of the Malay votes led to the "resignation" of Dr Vincent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

SINGAPORE: Dr Vincent Wijeysingha on Wednesday announced his resignation from the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) to pursue his work in civil society.

Writing on his Facebook page, Dr Wijeysingha feels that as a nation, Singaporeans have a limited appreciation of civil liberties. He noted that his Facebook post about his sexuality had attracted some debate on these rights.

He has thus decided to participate in the more intangible but no less important work to promote civil liberties.

In a separate statement, SDP's Chairman Jufrie Mahmud said Dr Wijeysingha has expressed his desire to get more involved in human rights issues, and that he finds it more effective to do it as an activist in the civil society arena.

Mr Jufrie said while the SDP is disappointed at this outcome, the party fully supports Dr Wijeysingha's position and the party's loss is civil society's gain.

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It was indeed.

Sorry to rephrase, the knowledge was not yet widespread. It came in the form of Vivian's attack on Vincent and the latter giving an ambivalent, ambiguous response.

Compared to the recent time when an article in every daily was dedicated solely to his gay identity by his own admission, stamping the deal.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
you average singaporean doesnt want gay rights to be a key issue. VW only wants it so that he can what men can do to men. What next: Male rape should be a crime?

CannonFairy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes . There is no in fighting for power within PAP, and no rifts within WP,Eric Tan, Goh Meng Seng are in excellent terms with WP . Employees don't fight for promotions in MNCs, siblings don't quarrel to inherit wealth.

We wake up every day to a peaceful island .

This article is off the mark in a few aspects.

OverTheCounter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Yes . There is no in fighting for power within PAP, and no rifts within WP,Eric Tan, Goh Meng Seng are in excellent terms with WP . Employees don't fight for promotions in MNCs, siblings don't quarrel to inherit wealth.

We wake up every day to a peaceful island .

You are entitled to your POV, but bringing in the Malay issue to conflagrate with VW's LGBT agenda is mischievous. You are implying that Malay-Muslims in SDP are intolerant of LGBTs. That is highly mischievous of you to weave this insinuation into your article.

I agree with you on majority of your points, but I have to voice out that I am strongly opposed to such a characterisation of SDP's Malay-Muslim community.

Show me proof that Vincent was ousted from SDP on acrimonious terms.

Last edited:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am quite a fan of Dr Vincent Wijeysingha,despite his personal lifestyle. He is eloquent, has fire in the belly, and he is someone who can bring attention to the Singaporeans who have been overlooked by the PAP's GDP first policy. I am sure it is partly due to his efforts that the PAP is changing......

.... Dr Vincent should openly question SDP and its leaders. It was Dr Vincent who brought SDP to a whole new level of popularity. It was him who joined SDP as he had trust in SDP's core values. But how things have changed and SDP dumped him like a used dirty rag.

Hi brother CannonFairy, it is good that you care about Dr Vincent's future. I am sure Dr VW would appreciate your care and concern for him if he gets a chance to read your original post for him in this thread. However, please do not be overly worried about Dr VW's future. I am sure Dr VW would tell you that the SDP did not "dump him like a used dirty rag" (as you said in your own words mentioned above).

Someone else wrote in (http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=8522) as follows:

"Dr Wijeysingha contributed significantly to SDP during his tenure with the party. He was instrumental in formulating their position papers on many bread-and-butter issues and helping the SDP better articulate its philosophy and political ideology.

But he was not just all brains. He was also about action — in every event that SDP organized, he would not hesitate to roll up his sleeves and help out in the hard, nitty-gritty work of logistics and organization, helping to move chairs and set up tents, helping to rally people together. He was truly an all-rounded contributor to SDP — never failing to give his best to the party both in brains and in physical work".

I am sure the SDP treasures Dr VW and will miss Dr VW very much. But there are times in life when we need to make difficult decisions. Lets look forward, this is a non-acrimonious parting of good friends. The SDP supporters hope for a good outcome for both the SDP and Dr VW in the future. :smile:

Last edited:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On Dr VW's facebook wall (https://www.facebook.com/vwijeysingha), Jeremy Chen wrote this short note: "This evening (on 4 September 2013), we had a little gathering in the SDP office as a goodbye to Vincent Wijeysingha. There was a lot of food and I was overeating. (I did bring two boxes of grapes so as to avoid contributing unhealthy stuff to the feast)".

A picture (taken at the aforementioned dinner gathering) speaks a thousand words. :smile:

1175042_10151916898972474_695593666_n.jpg

This picture is prominently displayed as the current cover photo on Dr VW's personal facebook wall. Would Dr VW use this picture as the cover photo if he does not feel cherished by his friends in the SDP?

Last edited:

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Another picture that speaks a thousand words.

This candid and warm picture of Dr VW and Mrs CheeSJ was taken by Lawrence Chong at the recent SDP's fund-raising dinner: The 80s Flair - A Night to Remember - on August 17, 2013. They are good friends like brother and sister. :smile:

998078_10200879213716798_1294755939_n.jpg

Last edited:

waterloong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am laughing at some of the replies in this discussion. Even Independent's editor, a former SDP member has given some clues on the exit of Vincent. Towards the end of that editorial, you see Brendan Chong defended SDP's values of which "SDP never espoused "liberal values" at all costs"; similar to how some bros here are defending SDP.