• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Vegan supermarkets to open in london! Veganz

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
so good !!! got vegan supermarket.

Dear Vegans,

Try to imagine a grocery shopping trip where you don’t have to tiresomely check the ingredients of every item you pick up. You know the drill – you look for the Vegan symbol, most of the time it’s not there, so then you check the entire list of ingredients. Even after this you feel unsure if it is definitely vegan — have they listed all the ingredients? Have they made a mistake? If it is vegan-friendly, why don’t they label it? Hmm, is it safe to buy this?

So imagine a supermarket where you could safely buy every item, where EVERYTHING is vegan. ‘Don’t be so ridiculous; there couldn’t possibly be such a place’ you say. I wouldn’t joke about something so wonderful…

veganz vegan supermarketI am ecstatic to discover that as of 2014 things are changing for us London vegans. FOUR FULLY FLEDGED VEGAN SUPERMARKETS WILL OPEN IN LONDON! My husband (who is a writer) tells me that capital letters represent shouting – good, I’d like to shout about this as loud as I can, both inside computer land and out in the real world.

There are other supermarkets in the UK that provide a plethora of vegan products – not just health food shops like Holland & Barratt, Wholefoods and Planet Organic, but also the mainstream chains like Tesco and Sainsbury’s. Although with time some of these supermarkets are providing an impressive variety of vegan goods, these are mixed in with non-vegan items and in my experience not always labelled 100% correctly, causing some nervousness in my purchases.

So, instead of shouting with joy in the street, I contained myself long enough to give Veganz (theVeganz vegan supermarket German company behind the new supermarkets) a call to find out more. Due to my overexcitement and persistence, I was lucky enough to get an interview with the marketing manager Ivonne Meyer and the founder Jan Bredack.

It came as no surprise to me to learn that Veganz is a labour of love, but also brings a fiercely ambitious and entrepreneurial spirit. Founder Jan was a lifelong employee of luxury car manufacturer Daimler, rising to technical director and running the company’s Russian manufacturing facility. Around the same time, he met the love of his life and she just happened to be a vegetarian. She spurred him to ‘question the cruelty surrounding eating meat and fish’ so the couple soon began to live vegan. They saw how difficult it was to buy vegan items so Jan took a risk on a new venture — he invested his money to build the first vegan supermarket in Berlin. And so Veganz was born in 2011. Today, Veganz has four stores, and big plans to expand across Europe.

Veganz-shop-front-300x192.jpg