• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

USA is finished:9 States declare sovereignty

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
No need for alarm. Taking the 10th Amendment to claim state sovereignty is not an act of attempt at secession or declaration of state independence. It's just reserving the state's lawmaking powers as provided in the Constitution of the Union, i.e. the Congress shall pass no law impeding individual state's rights to those laws. For example, social laws are under individual state's purview and power. Therefore, the individual states, not Congress, pass laws for marriage, divorce, abortion etc.

Good that you cleared that up. I think they mistook what the issue was.

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you walked the streets and told people that US will break up, they will just laugh. If you told people that Quebec and Scotland would like to go their merry way, people would consider that.

True. Interestingly, no progress has been made towards those ends yet. I would love to see both Quebec and Scotland become independent countries but that is not going to happen.

iamelite

Alfrescian
Loyal
i'm believe his story..
US already on the brink already..
Imagine if Obama cannot pull US out of this mess...
China already hinted that they want assurance on the value of the US Treasuries as the massive printing is causing China worries..
I'm sure Japan and other major holders is also worrie.d.

If they slowly slowly let go of the treasuries and buy into US land,companies and properties...
you can be sure the russian's story of state belonging to different countries will come true.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My prediction is the world will end up organised in 3 main group..
The Whites, The Yellows, The Blacks.
Actually it should be beige thru intermarriage. Just have a look at Singapore. Globalisation will eventually make it closer to that.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good that you cleared that up. I think they mistook what the issue was.

The states of the US have more sovereign powers than, say, the states of Malaysia. The states set up and regulate their own police departments, courts and bar councils. They have their own power of taxation and can even decide for themselves whether or not there's death penalty.

Federal laws, once passed, will override state laws if there're conflicts. So it's not uncommon that some states which feel strongly against certain laws proposed in Congress, try to block it by taking the 10th Amendment. I think that once the 10th Amendment is taken, Congress needs 2/3 majority to pass the law instead of a simple majority. If too many states, especially the bigger ones, also take the 10th, the bill may be abandoned.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the clarification. Wanted to come in for a bit of fun-fun sparring. Haven't done that for a while.

Cheers,
Trout

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The states of the US have more sovereign powers than, say, the states of Malaysia. The states set up and regulate their own police departments, courts and bar councils. They have their own power of taxation and can even decide for themselves whether or not there's death penalty.

Federal laws, once passed, will override state laws if there're conflicts. So it's not uncommon that some states which feel strongly against certain laws proposed in Congress, try to block it by taking the 10th Amendment. I think that once the 10th Amendment is taken, Congress needs 2/3 majority to pass the law instead of a simple majority. If too many states, especially the bigger ones, also take the 10th, the bill may be abandoned.

I am very well aware of all these. The issue is USA breaking up. No signs of it at all.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
True. Interestingly, no progress has been made towards those ends yet. I would love to see both Quebec and Scotland become independent countries but that is not going to happen.

I happened to be staying quite awhile in Quebec around 1993, when there was an independence referendum. The result I think was about 55:45 against independence. So the idea of an independent Quebec may not be that far-fetched. However, I havent heard of any such referendum in Scotland. I think that most Scottish still prefer to remain British; what they want is more power devolution, not outright independence.

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
I happened to be staying quite awhile in Quebec around 1993, when there was an independence referendum. The result I think was about 55:45 against independence. So the idea of an independent Quebec may not be that far-fetched. However, I havent heard of any such referendum in Scotland. I think that most Scottish still prefer to remain British; what they want is more power devolution, not outright independence.

I think it should be 1995. They lost by a narrower margin. But since then there has been no 3rd referendum.

No referendum yet, then again for good reasons I guess. Most Scots are probably neutral.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a classic example where a person who is afflicted with a serious illness such as cancer goes around preeching about the dangers, including diet etc. to everyone he meets.

After the Soviet Union disintegrated, many from Russia felt that federal model will fail. He is not the only one but because of his position, he gets mentioned a lot.

You can clearly see the bond that 2nd generation amercans have for their country. Despite their melting pot culture, they all speak, dress, behave as thought they came from an ancient civilization. Its is one first world country where persona are close to identical, that they appear quiet robotic compared to the English where cockney speakers are miles away from someone else in other parts of the tiny island.

Western Australia is the richest state in OZ. Their balance sheet for the last 50 years clearly shows that they can easily hive off and sustain themselves. They have large tracts of land, resource rich up to the eyeballs and even when there is little demand from it, they still can have a surplus. Its a federal state but you never hear of breakup.

Differences always get buried when the outlook's rosy isn't it? They only surface when the going gets tough.

I do think there are cultural differences in USA though...the Texans speak differently from the Louisiana folks, same with the MidWest folks, and dress differently too. Its only the coastal folks that are a bit more homogenous. The South is very different from the New England States, and I've been to a handful of very distinct states to know the difference.

No one expected the Soviet Union to break up in 1990 either, but it did so all so suddenly. Sometimes a black swan does just come in and smack you in the face.

Cheers,
Ray

LOL if say u only lived in a certain part of the US like say the east coast obviously the ppl from that region speak the same. This is obviously not the case. The southern states have many mexicans and spanish is also widely used over there. There are blacks and hispanics whom are feared or mistrusted by the whites etc.

There are also numerous foreigners all over the country. To actually say that the US is homogeneous is very childlike talk. :rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL if say u only lived in a certain part of the US like say the east coast obviously the ppl from that region speak the same. This is obviously not the case. The southern states have many mexicans and spanish is also widely used over there. There are blacks and hispanics whom are feared or mistrusted by the whites etc.

There are also numerous foreigners all over the country. To actually say that the US is homogeneous is very childlike talk. :rolleyes:

See my earlier post about 2nd generation Americans

As for sub-cultures like the Blacks, the hispanics, I hope you do realise that the sub-cultures are purely within the USA. There is no hip hop nation in Africa and they are not about to create a nation of their own. Do understand the context of the discussion.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is a classic example where a person who is afflicted with a serious illness such as cancer goes around preeching about the dangers, including diet etc. to everyone he meets.

After the Soviet Union disintegrated, many from Russia felt that federal model will fail. He is not the only one but because of his position, he gets mentioned a lot.

You can clearly see the bond that 2nd generation amercans have for their country. Despite their melting pot culture, they all speak, dress, behave as thought they came from an ancient civilization. Its is one first world country where persona are close to identical, that they appear quiet robotic compared to the English where cockney speakers are miles away from someone else in other parts of the tiny island.

Western Australia is the richest state in OZ. Their balance sheet for the last 50 years clearly shows that they can easily hive off and sustain themselves. They have large tracts of land, resource rich up to the eyeballs and even when there is little demand from it, they still can have a surplus. Its a federal state but you never hear of breakup.

I don;t get ur analogy over the person with cancer goes around preaching thing.

It's obvious that a poor diet can lead to cancer.

Why not take a good diet and avoid smoking for eg and help save more ppl?:rolleyes:

Ok we get your point. You don't want to see the US fall. Why would anyone? :rolleyes:

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

As for sub-cultures like the Blacks, the hispanics, I hope you do realise that the sub-cultures are purely within the USA. There is no hip hop nation in Africa and they are not about to create a nation of their own. Do understand the context of the discussion.

Of course i saw it. LOL on 2nd generation. 2nd generation from when?

From when the forefathers came to the US?

Hispanic children speak spanish still. Sure they obviously speak better english than their parents but still they retain much of their culture.

It's too riddiculous to make such a general passing remark.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LOL are you serious here???

Is there a Hip hop "nation" in the US then? Pray tell where is the location of this hip hop nation?

Of course there is hip hop in Africa. What da hell?:rolleyes:

Where do you think all of black culture originated from? The call and response and the rap, all of this was garnered from african culture and tradition.

Man u should google more and find the number of hip hop, reggae, soca and other generes of music which are popular and founded in the west which are also popular in Africa. :mad:

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imperial, why you post this I dont know. There is no danger of succession, as state soverignety not otherwise guaranteed is at discussion here UNDER THE 10 Amendment of the Federal Constituation, that;s all.

Remember the first ten amendments to the Federal Constituation were the original bill of rights.

Sometimes when we read things online, we need to think for ourselves, too.

tommyh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nonsense. Oklahoma is land locked. They succeed and they over night they are dependent on the US for access to overflight rights.

Full of talk

By the way if US does not want to pay their debt they just need to say so. What can the world do to them>

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nonsense. Oklahoma is land locked. They succeed and they over night they are dependent on the US for access to overflight rights.

Full of talk

By the way if US does not want to pay their debt they just need to say so. What can the world do to them>

I conur say if some province in china were to do the same it's possible. Cos u know that's how things are for ppl here.

No matter how US fucks up it's all right. While for everyone else especially china it's not okay.