• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Umbrage Ng apologise after shan call it very unfortunate

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ng Yat Chung: Being a direct and blunt-speaking person, I apologise for any offence
  • Start dateToday at 5:55 PM

The minister was also asked for his thoughts on SPH chief executive Ng Yat Chung's comments at a press conference announcing the move, which have sparked a furore online.

Mr Ng had told the reporter he took umbrage at her question, and a video of his remarks went viral. The reporter, from Mediacorp's CNA Digital, had asked if the company "will now pivot to emphasise editorial integrity, for example, ahead of advertiser interests".

"Both the reporter who asked the question, and her editor, Walter (Fernandez), know that taking money from an advertiser doesn't automatically mean that independence is compromised," Mr Shanmugam said.

"If that were so, most newspapers in the world would not be considered independent because most newspapers do, in fact, completely rely on advertisements."

He added that the question was nevertheless a fair one, given that journalists would be concerned about their independence.

"Mr Ng's reaction, and the way he answered the question, I think was very unfortunate," the minister said. "His outburst can be described in stronger terms, but I want to be careful and understated, because SPH is a listed company, with shareholders, management, and I need to be careful."

Separately, Mr Ng issued an apology on the subject on Saturday. He told The Straits Times: "I had stood up for SPH Media's long-cherished editorial integrity and will continue to do so. Being a direct and blunt-speaking person, I apologise for any offence I might have caused and regret any distraction from the merits of the proposed restructuring."

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
6G9Hj5Y.jpg

Ralders

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPH CEO Ng Yat Chung apologises after taking 'umbrage' at journalist's question
"Being a direct and blunt-speaking person, I apologise for any offence I might have caused."

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
As if the Sham is so respectful of people like that, and that he is such a ;gentleman',,anyone remember his performance and his attitude at the POFMA committee? A snake in sheeps clothing..

searcher1

Alfrescian
Loyal
NYC need not apologize for being a direct and blunt-speaking person.
That is not something you are sorry for !
This country spend money to feed you full full
You first sink NOL, now you play SPH ....

frontier

Alfrescian
Loyal
NYC need not apologize for being a direct and blunt-speaking person.
That is not something you are sorry for !
This country spend money to feed you full full
You first sink NOL, now you play SPH ....

Like Halimah's children, his kids wouldn't be proud to tell people who their parents are.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it's too late for any apologies now. The joke is on this Fat Fuck till eternity.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPH CEO apologises for any offence caused in outburst at press conference; Minister K Shanmugam remarked it as “unfortunate”
by The Online Citizen
08/05/2021
in Current Affairs
Reading Time: 3 mins read
SPH CEO apologises for any offence caused in outburst at press conference; Minister K Shanmugam remarked it as “unfortunate”

Chief Executive Officer of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH), Ng Yat Chung has issued an apology for his apparent outburst at the SPH press conference held on Thursday (6 May) to announce the transfer of SPH’s media business to a non-profit-entity.
Mr Ng told The Straits Times on Saturday (8 May): “I had stood up for SPH Media’s long-cherished editorial integrity and will continue to do so. Being a direct and blunt-speaking person, I apologise for any offence I might have caused and regret any distraction from the merits of the proposed restructuring.”
When asked by Channel News Asia’s digital journalist if SPH’s plans would mean the media business would pivot to emphasize editorial integrity ahead of advertiser interests, Mr Ng replied, “If I may just interject, I honestly I take umbrage at your first question. There are reporters from here who received substantial funding from various sources, and I don’t believe that you will describe yourself as bowing to the needs of advertisers in doing your job.”
He stressed that SPH publications have always had advertisers and that the company has “never, never conceded” to their needs.
“We will always continue to provide fair, reliable, credible reporting.” Ng added. “The fact that you dare to question SPH titles for, in your words, conceding to advertisers – I take umbrage at your comment.”
“I must call this out. (SPH) Chairman (Lee Boon Yang) is a gentleman. I am not,” a visibly agitated Ng retorted.
Raising his voice in concluding his answer, Ng stated, “The purpose of doing this is to make sure that SPH media will continue to do the job we have done so well for so long.”

“Very unfortunate” said Minister K Shanmugam on SPH CEO’s reaction
Speaking to reporters at a community event in his constituency on Saturday, Minister for Law and Home Affairs, Mr K Shanmugam remarked Mr Ng’s response as being “unfortunate”.
Mr Shanmugam said the reporter asked “a right question, fair question”, noting that journalists would be concerned about editorial independence.
“Mr Ng’s reaction, and the way he answered the question, I think was very unfortunate,”
“His outburst can be described in stronger terms, but I want to be careful and understated because SPH is a listed company, with shareholders, management, and I need to be careful.”

Mr Shanmugam said a media company taking money from an advertiser “doesn’t automatically mean that independence is compromised”.
“The reporter who asked the question and her editor, Walter know that taking money from an advertiser doesn’t automatically mean that independence is compromised,” he said.
“If that was so, most newspapers in the world would not be considered independent, because most newspapers do, in fact, completely rely on advertisements. The journalist however, asked a right question, fair question. And, of course journalists would be concerned about their independence.”
MCI declares support to SPH’s proposal for restructuring, prepared to provide funding
The Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI) has stepped in to declare the Government’s support in SPH’s plan to restructure media business, adding that it is prepared to provide funding support to help it “build capabilities for the future”.
“It is in the interest of Singapore and Singaporeans that our local media continues to thrive and deliver quality journalism,” MCI said in a statement on Thursday.
“After SPH Media is transferred to a CLG, MCI is prepared to provide it with funding support to help it build capabilities for the future.”
Minister for Communications and Information S. Iswaran said that having a “professional, capable and respected local news media” is critical to Singapore’s national interest.
“They report through a Singaporean lens, so that our citizens have a good understanding of the opportunities and challenges facing our country, the choices we need to make, and our place in the world. The Government therefore supports high quality, credible journalism in our local news media,” he remarked.
“We are supportive of SPH’s proposal to restructure and transfer SPH Media to the CLG. Our goal is to help the local news media and our journalists adapt and thrive in the digital era while maintaining the high professional standards we expect and value.”
Mr S Iswaran, Minister for Communications and Information, will deliver a ministerial statement on this matter at the Parliament sitting on this coming Monday (10 May).
Share this:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlike some other SAF scholars, at least he has the courage to apologize.

Ng Yat Chung for the next PM. Forget about those '4G' clowns. And forget about the sickly-looking Loong, I've seen octogenarians who look healthier than him. :cool:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shanmugam on govts helping the media: 'You have no choice if you want high-quality journalism'
Plummeting revenues and the migration of advertisers to Google and Facebook are to blame.
Matthias Ang | Andrew Koay |
clock.png
May 08, 2021, 04:00 PM

Shanmugam-SPH.jpg

Against the backdrop of plummeting advertisement revenue, there may be few alternatives but to have the government support the media, said the Minister for Home Affairs and Law K. Shanmugam.

"You have no choice if you want high quality journalism," he added.

Pressure faced by media outlets all over the world

Speaking to reporters on May 8, the Minister for Home Affairs and Law pointed to a trend of pressure faced by media businesses all over the world, causing some of the most prestigious names in the newspaper business to restructure or close.
Speaking about SPH, he said:

"The problem is not readership — readership hasn't declined. In fact, readership of SPH media has grown in the last five years."

"The old business model doesn't work," said Shanmugam, noting that advertisers had moved platforms to tech giants Google and Facebook.
He also singled out France in particular, where the government provided "hundred of millions of Euros" in direct and indirect support to the media.

Trust needed for media and government

Nevertheless, the minister said that it was vital for the media to be able to foster trust with the public.
"For Singapore, trust is an existential issue. And if you look at it, specific to media, if media is not trusted, it would inevitably lead to a government and political leadership that is not trusted."
"If there is no trust, we can't govern well, we won't be able to take long term measures," he said, adding that the Covid-19 crisis showed how important this trust was.
Shanmugam cited the U.S. and Europe as further examples what transpires after a breakdown in trust; "we are all finished if that happens," he said.

SPH CEO's umbrage "unfortunate"

Shanmugam had also responded to a question about SPH CEO Ng Yat Chung's "umbrage" at the press conference announcing the company's restructuring.
"Well, both the reporter who asked the question and her editor Walter (Fernandez) know that taking money from an advertiser doesn't automatically mean that independence is compromised," said Shanmugam, pointing to the fact that most newspapers rely on advertisements for revenue.
However, he noted that the question was a fair one given that journalists should be concerned about independence.
The way he answered the question was also "unfortunate", said Shanmugam, who also noted that the outburst could be described in "stronger terms". "But I want to be careful and understated because SPH is a listed company."

Government prepared to fund new subsidiary

The Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI) had previously said that it has considered and supports the proposal put forth by SPH, pending shareholder approval.
It is also prepared to provide funding support to the newly formed subsidiary.
S. Iswaran, Minister for Communications and Information, also said that the government agrees with SPH’s assessment that the current media business model is "not viable given global technology and industry trends".
"Our goal is to help the local news media and our journalists adapt and thrive in the digital era while maintaining the high professional standards we expect and value," he said.

Related stories:

Top image by Darryl Laiu