• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Typhoon struck pineapple land for a reason

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fren, the fathers of modern science were human beings, smart ones. They knew what was politcal correctness. Perhaps they remembered what happened to Galileo and didn't want to be locked up and tortured. Well, most of those who come to mind lived in later ages where believers in God were more humane, but you get the message. They just didn't want to rock the boat and become unpopular. They were challenging themselves (and probably accepted thought too) to find explanations and not just blindly accepting what was accepted and God-given.

Cheers!

But how does this count against Him? The fathers of modern science were believers and none complained that God did not teach them what they discovered. Instead it is their belief that God has ordered the universe that led them to discover and formulate the laws of nature. If you never taught your kids how to make their beds (I'm sure you do!), does that justify them saying they have no father? Of course not. A complaint against God is not the same as denying God exists.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fren, the fathers of modern science were human beings, smart ones. They knew what was politcal correctness. Perhaps they remembered what happened to Galileo and didn't want to be locked up and tortured. Well, most of those who come to mind lived in later ages where believers in God were more humane, but you get the message. They just didn't want to rock the boat and become unpopular. They were challenging themselves (and probably accepted thought too) to find explanations and not just blindly accepting what was accepted and God-given.

Cheers!

Question is, is your theory supported by the facts, or is it a just so story to avoid the obvious? If you have any evidence to support your theory please share. It wouldn't do to assume that they were avoiding ending up like Galileo. Besides, what happened to Galileo isn't what you think it was. Many people have the wrong ideas about what really happened.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course not. People during those early days did not know what is humour. They were superstitious, god-fearing, nature-fearing, and attributed all things to works of spirits, some evil, some good.

Cheers!

Always look at intent of writers, what do you think? Was the Bible meant to entertain?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, I didn't study history, not to the kind of detail you're querying. I understand that Galileo, for some of his published work was accused of heresy, and placed under house arrest. It was until recently (last few years, during our lifetime) that he was pardoned, or forgiven and his works honoured and recognised. Correct me if I am mistaken. Honestly, I don't even know who came first, Galileo or Copernicus, but it was Galileo who ran into trouble with the Pope/Vatican/Church.

Cheers!

Question is, is your theory supported by the facts, or is it a just so story to avoid the obvious? If you have any evidence to support your theory please share. It wouldn't do to assume that they were avoiding ending up like Galileo. Besides, what happened to Galileo isn't what you think it was. Many people have the wrong ideas about what really happened.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am sure there were many floods throughout history. The biblical flood is just one. And from it the ancients forged the story of Noah's Ark which tells of God's intentions and goodness. I like the story and am looking forward to watch the coming movie. The bible stories are good, for it describes the evilness of man, and that among these men, there are good ones. And this gives us hope.

Cheers!

Ancient civilizations sprung from river bank, logically you will find accounts of regional flood stories in many cultures. Using your reasoning, how many days of rain would it take to cover the earth up to 12th storey high and how many months to cover the mountains? When the flood subsided, where the water vanished?

Last edited:

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, but somebody thought of it right? Can the bible then belong to comic land then? Even though it was not meant to be funny.

Cheers!
bro, I think river story goes hand in hand with flood story. In chess, you can't checkmate using 1 piece. I am going to use a river story as the second piece to join the dots.

Lot of bible stories were stolen from Egypt, Greece and Babylonian. Like the story of Moses floated down a river in a basket as a baby. It bears remarkable similarities to an old Babylonian myth about a great King called Sargon who was discovered as a baby in a basket in a river. Evidence or at least enough suggestion of plagiarism.

Exodus is mostly from Egyptian tales. The burning bush which burns and burns represents knowledge from Ra. For a clan to wander in the desert for 40 years, there must be evidences left behind. Not surprise, they still cannot find any archaelogical artifact except faith based alluring.

Last edited:

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. You are correct, it does not reinforce evolution. However, at this point, creation, evolution, and intelligent design are all at investigative level. We have not reached enough knowledge to conclude anyone is the correct one yet. There are arguments pro and against in all cases.

Cheers!

bro,
The evidences that species evolved are overwhelming.

"Hens don’t have teeth, but they have the genes for it. With atavism, it is as if our genomes serve as archives of our evolutionary past.
Humans do not have tails, but do we have “what it takes” for a tail?"

I am sure you will be highly interested to read on this http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/atavism-embryology-development-and-evolution-843

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course not. People during those early days did not know what is humour. They were superstitious, god-fearing, nature-fearing, and attributed all things to works of spirits, some evil, some good.

Cheers!

How did you know that people living 2000 years or more about have no idea what humour is? People both past and present are also given to all kinds of superstitions and beliefs. Human nature hasn't changed much. But that's digressing, the point I am making is that the Bible writers were not writing fiction or comics, they were recording history or prophecies, or writing letters to churches. There is nothing to suggest they were writing fiction.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, I didn't study history, not to the kind of detail you're querying. I understand that Galileo, for some of his published work was accused of heresy, and placed under house arrest. It was until recently (last few years, during our lifetime) that he was pardoned, or forgiven and his works honoured and recognised. Correct me if I am mistaken. Honestly, I don't even know who came first, Galileo or Copernicus, but it was Galileo who ran into trouble with the Pope/Vatican/Church.

Cheers!

You are right on that last statement. Galileo ran into trouble with certain church personalities, it wasn't Bible vs science, it was science vs science and also personal conflicts.

http://christiananswers.net/q-eden/galileo.html
http://al007italia.blogspot.sg/2009/02/truth-about-galileo-catholic-church-it.html
http://www.ukapologetics.net/galileo.htm

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ancient civilizations sprung from river bank, logically you will find accounts of regional flood stories in many cultures. Using your reasoning, how many days of rain would it take to cover the earth up to 12th storey high and how many months to cover the mountains? When the flood subsided, where the water vanished?

Why do you assume that people would mistake a regional flood for a global flood that required building boats and collecting all kinds of animals to escape it? Ancient people lived near water sources, but that in no way suggest that this accounted for global flood accounts. And you are not using my reasoning, so please do not misrepresent me.

The Bible mentioned 40 days and nights of rain, plus fountains of the deep bursting forth, which means vast amounts of water came from under the earth. And don't make the mistake that the mountains today were just as they were in Noah's time. The mountains we see today were the result of the Flood and even today they are still "growing". And who told you the water vanished? The earth is 70% water! The Bible says that mountains rose and valleys sank, so the waters would have receded to where they find lower points. Lastly, judging from the tone of your postings I am pretty sure you would mock and ridicule my answers instead of providing a good rebuttal.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
It would take more than forty days and forty nights to reach those levels. In those days, the world was flat, the excess water must've overflowed and left Earth by falling off the edges into space. Frankly, I don't have a logical answer to that, thanks for invoking the thought though.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was watching Discovery Channel and recent findings reveal dinosaurs to be covered with feathers instead of the earlier belief of scales and are close to birds than we think (T-rex is the ancestor of the chicken!).

Towards the end of the dinosaur period, little rodents appeared and may be the "forefathers" of mammals although I think marsupials with their "pouch" compete with them in my mind. They both have tails. We're still discovering.

Cheers!

bro,
The evidences that species evolved are overwhelming.

"Hens don’t have teeth, but they have the genes for it. With atavism, it is as if our genomes serve as archives of our evolutionary past.
Humans do not have tails, but do we have “what it takes” for a tail?"

I am sure you will be highly interested to read on this http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/atavism-embryology-development-and-evolution-843

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
We can guess what the scribes were doing, but the Romans, and specifically Constantine and his circle of officials used it to solidify Roman rule at that time. Christians were rebels, and adopting Christianity as the official religion of the land would effectively stop all rebellion, and channel the taxes towards the state's coffers. It was a smart political move.

Cheers!

How did you know that people living 2000 years or more about have no idea what humour is? People both past and present are also given to all kinds of superstitions and beliefs. Human nature hasn't changed much. But that's digressing, the point I am making is that the Bible writers were not writing fiction or comics, they were recording history or prophecies, or writing letters to churches. There is nothing to suggest they were writing fiction.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going to today's knowledge of Earth's natural forces, such volume of water could be from melting of glaciers from the last ice age. Before that, Alaska and Siberia were joined by a land (ice?) mass which today is sea. A warming Earth would've caused glaciers, icebergs to melt, water vapour in the atmosphere to condense and form rain. If such a phenomena did occur, the ancients would attribute such happenings to the works of an angered god. I see it that way. Now, the story of Noah is another chapter.

Cheers!

The Bible mentioned 40 days and nights of rain, plus fountains of the deep bursting forth, which means vast amounts of water came from under the earth. And don't make the mistake that the mountains today were just as they were in Noah's time. The mountains we see today were the result of the Flood and even today they are still "growing". And who told you the water vanished? The earth is 70% water! The Bible says that mountains rose and valleys sank, so the waters would have receded to where they find lower points. Lastly, judging from the tone of your postings I am pretty sure you would mock and ridicule my answers instead of providing a good rebuttal.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro, I think river story goes hand in hand with flood story. In chess, you can't checkmate using 1 piece. I am going to use a river story as the second piece to join the dots.

Lot of bible stories were stolen from Egypt, Greece and Babylonian. Like the story of Moses floated down a river in a basket as a baby. It bears remarkable similarities to an old Babylonian myth about a great King called Sargon who was discovered as a baby in a basket in a river. Evidence or at least enough suggestion of plagiarism.

Exodus is mostly from Egyptian tales. The burning bush which burns and burns represents knowledge from Ra. For a clan to wander in the desert for 40 years, there must be evidences left behind. Not surprise, they still cannot find any archaelogical artifact except faith based alluring.

From a suggested piece of evidence you then make the dogmatic claim that lots of Bible stories were stolen from Egypt and that Exodus is mostly Egyptian tales, but showed no good evidence that it is so. But if that's just your opinion we can leave it as that without examining that claim further.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going to today's knowledge of Earth's natural forces, such volume of water could be from melting of glaciers from the last ice age. Before that, Alaska and Siberia were joined by a land (ice?) mass which today is sea. A warming Earth would've caused glaciers, icebergs to melt, water vapour in the atmosphere to condense and form rain. If such a phenomena did occur, the ancients would attribute such happenings to the works of an angered god. I see it that way. Now, the story of Noah is another chapter.

Cheers!

Scientists today still have trouble explaining the cause of the ice age. But if they look at the Bible (and many have) they would have not failed to see that it was the result of Noah's Flood.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/fit/flood-caused-ice-age

Last edited: