• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Two oppositions, & why in the long run, they may not matter at all, part 1 - Alex Au

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1089.htm

Yawning Bread. 26 December 2009

Two oppositions, and why in the long run, they may not matter at all, part 1

This is going to be the first of three articles. There is a sense that a general election is approaching and I am going to use this unhurried period to express some thoughts about the state of play and what I think the future holds. At the same time, I hope to introduce the analytical tools for assessing various political parties' positions when the shouting starts.

Here, in this opening article, I will first explain what I mean by the "two oppositions" in my title. It is triggered by (but it is not about) a small spat going on in the pages of The Online Citizen (TOC) between Kenneth Jeyaretnam, the Secretary-General of the Reform Party, and the website's writer and editors.

It began with a story by TOC on the Youth Wing of the Workers' Party, which opened with these words:

Don’t expect rabble-rousing politics from the Worker’s Party of today. Unlike the late J B Jeyaretnam, who was nicknamed "The Tiger" for his unrestrained election rally speeches and rambunctious attacks on the PAP government, the party is set on treading the careful path.
Kenneth Jeyaretnam, the elder son of J B Jeyaretnam, took issue with the way his father had been negatively characterised. He wrote, saying he was

gravely concerned that a write up of the Workers Party Youth Wing was used as an opportunity to attack JBJ and I believe, by association, the [Reform Party]
In defence, Terence Lee, the news editor and writer for TOC, unearthed a statement by the late J B Jeyaretnam concerning civil disobedience. Quoting an interview the Jeyaretnam did with the Far Eastern Economic Review in 2008:

Certainly civil disobedience has a place, and as I told the foreign correspondents at the lunch on the 31st of July, I suppose there might have to come a time that if the government is not prepared to listen to our peaceful protests, there must come a time where we have to resort to civil disobedience.

I myself am not against it, but I didn’t think the time has yet come for that. Before you can effectively launch a disobedience campaign, you’ve got to educate the people; you’ve got to get them ready to participate in it. That is just not possible today in Singapore, because of the fear that girds Singaporeans. They say yes alright if we come and participate in this civil disobedience, what’s going to happen to us? Aren’t we going to be arrested and carted off into courts, and then put into prison?
More specifically, this was a response to Kenneth Jeyaretnam's point that his father "was never an advocate of civil disobedience." Not so, as the above answer to the magazine proved, said Lee.

Thanks to the TOC publishing both letters, readers could see that they were both half-right. J B Jeyaretnam's point was that there is a place for civil disobedience -- and any political historian will tell you that much progress towards human rights and social equity in world history have been due to some measure of civil disobedience -- but it is a tactic that needs wide support before it can be used effectively, and currently there isn't wide support in Singapore.

Is that advocating, as Lee said? Is that never advocating, as Kenneth Jeyaretnam said?

In my opinion, J B Jeyaretnam's analysis is spot on. Civil disobedience is a political tool like any other tool; it has its costs and benefits, use it only when conditions call for it

Read the rest of the blog post here:

http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1089.htm

-

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Two oppositions, & why in the long run, they may not matter at all, part 1 - Alex

I would thank the voters in Potong Pasir & Hougang for electing 2 opposition members into Parliament.

Mecenary Singaporeans had voted for the ruling party in almost every GE.

Maybe GE 2010 we can see a change in Singapore political scene :biggrin:

jw5

Loyal
Re: Two oppositions, & why in the long run, they may not matter at all, part 1 - Alex

I would thank the voters in Potong Pasir & Hougang for electing 2 opposition members into Parliament.

Mecenary Singaporeans had voted for the ruling party in almost every GE.

Maybe GE 2010 we can see a change in Singapore political scene :biggrin:
They are not just mercenery, they are also naive and ignorant.
Mercenery implies that they did it for money, but most of these people are struggling to make ends meet.

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal

They are not just mercenery, they are also naive and ignorant.
Mercenery implies that they did it for money, but most of these people are struggling to make ends meet.

You are right.. they are low-income people & poor old people in Singapore. Despite the high inflation in Singapore,
they still very pro-pap and dun mind work till they die :o

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another great article by Alex. Please read the full article in his blog. Someting that political parties and players have to weigh constantly. I suspect that both Chiam and Low have done it after much thought and realising the calibre of their people and the resources at hand.

Interestingly using his line of logic, Alex has also fallen into the same hole but on a lesser issue within no philosophical point at stake - Was Terence right or KJ right. I suppose to keep the lines open or the position blurred, no different to expressing fealty to the King - the end intention is not to burn bridges as Alex has done. Terence and TOC and KJ will continue with their relationship with Alex.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Another great article by Alex. Please read the full article in his blog. Someting that political parties and players have to weigh constantly. I suspect that both Chiam and Low have done it after much thought and realising the calibre of their people and the resources at hand.

Interestingly using his line of logic, Alex has also fallen into the same hole but on a lesser issue within no philosophical point at stake - Was Terence right or KJ right. I suppose to keep the lines open or the position blurred, no different to expressing fealty to the King - the end intention is not to burn bridges as Alex has done. Terence and TOC and KJ will continue with their relationship with Alex.

Alex is someone who has a very clear and correct spirit of debate and criticism. He can accept criticism alike (although few does that to him) and will continue to remain friendly and accepts the invitation of anyone or any opp to speak at their events.

I can't say the same for TOC folks, who are known to be rather narrow-minded and very sensitive to criticism - ironically the very thing they preach more often than Alex or other bloggers. Their reduction of coverage for SDP and WP was due to some rebuttals they received, which they saw as an intolerance to criticism. Ironically, this act shows their own intolerance because rebuttals are actually clarifications. More ironically, on other occasions they would also lambaste the opp for not responding to them.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Alex is someone who has a very clear spirit of debate and criticism. He can accept criticism alike (although few does that to him) and will continue to remain friendly and accepts the invitation of anyone or any opp to speak at their events.

I can't say the same for TOC folks, who are known to be rather narrow-minded and very sensitive to criticism - ironically the very thing they preach more often than Alex or other bloggers. Their reduction of coverage for SDP and WP was due to some rebuttals they received, which they saw as an intolerance to criticism. Ironically, this act shows their own intolerance because rebuttals are actually clarifications. More ironically, on other occasions they would also lambaste the opp for not responding to them.

Is there ever any formal rebuttals from WP published in TOC? Where did you get it from? :wink:

Ironically, TOC has just given an exclusive coverage on WP Youth Wing's top officials. Whether it turns out good or bad, that is beside the point. How could you ever conclude that TOC is intolerant towards WP and reduce coverage for WP by this instances? To be fair, TOC has genearlly reduce coverage for all opposition political parties, not just WP or SDP. In fact, I can see that in relative terms, it is still giving WP most coverage!

Just because TOC is not singing to your liking, you actually put up such bias views against it? Hmm... talking about intolerance...

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

In fact, I can see that in relative terms, it is still giving WP most coverage!

I'm sorry but there has to be problem with your sight then. TOC covers RP more than any party, certainly not WP. Thought that was quite clear to most people. KJ initially started with TOC before it was revealed that he had joined the RP, then he left TOC.

However with the recent debacle the future remains to be seen.

The coverage of WP youth wing was part of a series. Of course, like the MSM, it needs to conceal any biase that it may have.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Over the years, TOC has given more than fair coverage to WP. They have done their part in this regard.

However WP has not done their part by responding to online criticism or various points raised.

Look at the latest round. No one remembers what Swee Bee or Choon Yong said about climate change or food scarcity. All everyone remembers is the exchange between KJ and Terence.

It is sad that:

(a) citizen journalists are doing more to promote oppo parties than party members themselves

(b) citizen journalists in return do not get thanks, but get flaks when they don't report in the precise and narrow way that the oppo parties EXPECT them too

Gosh, it's tough being a citizen journalist these days!

Is there ever any formal rebuttals from WP published in TOC? Where did you get it from? :wink:

Ironically, TOC has just given an exclusive coverage on WP Youth Wing's top officials. Whether it turns out good or bad, that is beside the point. How could you ever conclude that TOC is intolerant towards WP and reduce coverage for WP by this instances? To be fair, TOC has genearlly reduce coverage for all opposition political parties, not just WP or SDP. In fact, I can see that in relative terms, it is still giving WP most coverage!

Just because TOC is not singing to your liking, you actually put up such bias views against it? Hmm... talking about intolerance...

Goh Meng Seng

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Bias???

TOC's article was a very accurate reporting on WPYW.

There was no distortion, as far as I can tell, of the interview that terence conducted, either to please the establishment or please the WP, or do damage to either.

From where do you see bias? Pray tell...

I'm sorry but there has to be problem with your sight then. TOC covers RP more than any party, certainly not WP. Thought that was quite clear to most people. KJ initially started with TOC before it was revealed that he had joined the RP, then he left TOC.

The coverage of WP youth wing was part of a series. Of course, like the MSM, it needs to conceal any biase that it may have.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bias???

TOC's article was a very accurate reporting on WPYW.

There was no distortion, as far as I can tell, of the interview that terence conducted, either to please the establishment or please the WP, or do damage to either.

From where do you see bias? Pray tell...

I'm sorry but trying not to give both you and the Goh chap the village idiots awards. The chap mistakenly thought TOC doesn't sing to my tune. The fact is that even Alex doesn't sing to my tune and even Scroobal doesn't.

For you. The biase doesn't refer to the article. That's Clue 1 for you. If you need more clues just say so but I can't go on when the first foot is wrong.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

I'm sorry but trying not to give both you and the Goh chap the village idiots awards. The chap mistakenly thought TOC doesn't sing to my tune. The fact is that even Alex doesn't sing to my tune and even Scroobal doesn't.

For you. The biase doesn't refer to the article. That's Clue 1 for you. If you need more clues just say so but I can't go on when the first foot is wrong.

Idiocy is not just a label being given, but proven by facts. So far, as I can see, all the facts are stacked against you. Let's see who is the biggest idiot. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Idiocy is not just a label being given, but proven by facts. So far, as I can see, all the facts are stacked against you. Let's see who is the biggest idiot. :wink:

Goh Meng Seng

My sentiments exactly.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Reform Party? Why? It just happens that they have just a bit more activities in recent months! And the truth is, Reform Party has made quite a number of press statements too. If you want to blame, then apparently you are barking up the wrong tree!

Of course, quite a number of posting was related to the Reform Party's member being extradited to US for terrorist trial. You mean you also take that into account?

To be fair to TOC, it has covered walkabouts by Reform Party and NSP as well. But I guess WP's policy of declining any media coverage of their weekly walkabouts is precisely why TOC has not covered it. So blame who? TOC?

Your views are really skewed and out of place, really. Idiocy? The award is well reserved for you.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are basing your observation that TOC was started by ordinary folks who are non partisan in nature. That is not the case. It was an idea seeded by the PAP to source alternative views, provide a vent and a convenient repository of contrarian view. Shanmugam can now go to Europe and say that we do not crush dissent and show the amount of comments in TOC from readers. Andrew did not start the TOC, it was someone very close to the establishment. Andrew is what you call a perfect patsy - more so when he claims that he was WP member for 2 years. Both he and Ejay will get the perfect patsy award from the PAP.

Note no one from the establishment or associated with the establishment makes a comment in it. Might as well call it a bitching wall - one way traffic.

This idea was first mooted in the mid 90s but shelved when one of the PAP chaps chosen for it went overboard. At that time the chap was a law undergrad and guess what, its an law undergrad again.

The best approach is for all parties to take advantage of every and any opportunity to voice their views and concern. So while the TOC is there and those working in it have no clue, might as well use it.

To catch a myna, you always place one in the cage and the others will follow.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually RP makes more noise than WP. Its certainly a party position after the GMS/CTL affair. Only WP can change that. That sentiment is pretty clear to all.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

Scroobal,

There are no shortage of conspiracy theories and to some extend, some valid points have been raised.

I agree with you, whatever it is, just make good use of it. But here, we have Perspective complaining about TOC being petty against WP because WP responded to TOC in a negative way. But so far, I have no memory of reading any FORMAL response from WP published in TOC. Thus, I really wonder how Perspective get to know about it! Is he hallucinating or what? Since he keeps saying he is not from WP, then pray tell how did he get to know of such things that we don't know? :wink:

Besides, it is definitely and apparently not TOC's fault of "not reporting on WP more" because, there must be something worth reporting in the very first place! No activities, no press statements, no sound no bytes, how to report? Does Perspective expect TOC to be like SPH, to become WP's mouth piece or media fighting dog or what?

And to be fair, TOC has reported almost every possible news about WP, be it videos and speeches made in parliament etc. Even WP and RP NDP messages were carried. I don't really complain about TOC not carrying anything about NSP, really. Even though NSP has been making more press releases than WP, so what? It is their right to choose whether to report on it. Whether they are PAP's covert operations or not, that's totally another matter.

To me, black cat white cat, just let it catch the rat lah! But when someone just want the cat to be his pet, that's another story.

Goh Meng Seng

You are basing your observation that TOC was started by ordinary folks who are non partisan in nature. That is not the case. It was an idea seeded by the PAP to source alternative views, provide a vent and a convenient repository of contrarian view. Shanmugam can now go to Europe and say that we do not crush dissent and show the amount of comments in TOC from readers. Andrew did not start the TOC, it was someone very close to the establishment. Andrew is what you call a perfect patsy - more so when he claims that he was WP member for 2 years. Both he and Ejay will get the perfect patsy award from the PAP.

Note no one from the establishment or associated with the establishment makes a comment in it. Might as well call it a bitching wall - one way traffic.

This idea was first mooted in the mid 90s but shelved when one of the PAP chaps chosen for it went overboard. At that time the chap was a law undergrad and guess what, its an law undergrad again.

The best approach is for all parties to take advantage of every and any opportunity to voice their views and concern. So while the TOC is there and those working in it have no clue, might as well use it.

To catch a myna, you always place one in the cage and the others will follow.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Actually RP makes more noise than WP. Its certainly a party position after the GMS/CTL affair. Only WP can change that. That sentiment is pretty clear to all.

Agree. However read again and I also said SDP. I know some are eager to pinpoint their ex parties downwards so that their departure will not seem to be so much on them, but I also did state the SDP and can't proceed when the maths is not right.

RP is clearly not a leader of activities and press statements. WP and SDA are out as they have parliament channel. The Balraj case is also not prominently covered on TOC. Wonder where did that come from. However RP is clear leader in being a fresh entity and political residents like that. Also you are right - it a clear player along with SDP in publicity, but the latter clearly has problems with owners of the blog.

And going by his theory the lack of attrition for his new party must mean a deficiency on his party's part. If so I have yet to see a politician who doesn't try and build up a vehicle that he can ride on.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I agree with you. Note that I have been vocal about WP and their reticence. Too quiet for their own good.

Scroobal,

There are no shortage of conspiracy theories and to some extend, some valid points have been raised.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset

OH pleeeeaaaassssse lah! With people like you here, I don't need to lift any fingers if I really want to put down my "ex-party". There is absolutely no reasons for doing so.

But it seems that while you say TOC is "intolerance of criticisms", you are also "intolerance of criticisms" of WP! Your warp logic is that you only see what is outside of your view, not the mirror!

I am simply pointing the fact that everybody, including Scroobal, could see clearly. TOC has NOTHING to report on WP basically because WP has not been making any noise! You don't believe, go and read WP website! When is the last press statement that it has issued? 15 OCT! More than two months ago! It is the biggest party with two seats in parliament, mind you!

Well, NSP is not as noisy too and that is why I am not complaining about TOC not reporting on NSP! I am smarter than you in that sense, actually. I don't want people to know NSP as a party, has not been making noise as well!

Don't keep blaming others but yourself. You have unwittingly caused self-inflicting damage on WP, nothing to do with me. Anyone with that a bit of sense would look beyond your skewed and twisted logic.

And I repeat again, facts are stacking on you and let's see who is the biggest idiot here.

Goh Meng Seng

Agree. However read again and I also said SDP. I know some are eager to pinpoint their ex parties downwards so that their departure will not seem to be so much on them, but I also did state the SDP and can't proceed when the maths is not right.

RP is clearly not a leader of activities and press statements. WP and SDA are out as they have parliament channel. The Balraj case is also not prominently covered on TOC. Wonder where did that come from. However RP is clear leader in being a fresh entity and political residents like that. Also you are right - it a clear player along with SDP in publicity, but the latter clearly has problems with owners of the blog.

And going by his theory the lack of attrition for his new party must mean a deficiency on his party's part. If so I have yet to see a politician who doesn't try and build up a vehicle that he can ride on.