• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious True meaning of "fortitude" -- "Hougang"

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Each and every election in the past 30 years has seen the Workers’ Party (WP) romp home on the back of the Hougang Spirit.

The People’s Action Party (PAP) tried and tried but could not break the Hougang Spirit.

After 30 years, the PAP still wonders why the people of Hougang just wouldn’t budge.

What exactly is the Hougang Spirit?

The PAP struggles to get it.

Born and bred in Hougang, I have some inkling – but only barely so because much of it flies in the face of logic.

At first, the PAP tried the carrot and stick approach: no lift upgrading and no estate upgrading if you vote opposition!

The people of Hougang spoke: never mind, we shall not be cowed by threats, our vote is sacred.

What makes this truly remarkable is that the people of Hougang are as heartlandish as they come. The HDB flat is their prized possession yet they are willing to forgo upgrading, which could mean seeing the value of their homes going down.

Threats didn’t work, seduction didn’t work

The PAP then tried sending in the big guns to campaign – from the Prime Minister to cabinet ministers. Teochew candidates were parachuted in to contest.

The people of Hougang spoke: no point coming around at this time with seductive tactics and sweeteners, we will stick with the Teochew MP we already have.
That Teochew Member of Parliament for 20 years was Low Thia Khiang who came onto the national spotlight in 1991 when against all odds, he defeated the incumbent PAP MP Tang Guan Seng.

In 2011, Low moved from Hougang to helm the WP team at Aljunied GRC.

The current Hougang MP, Png Eng Huat, earnestly works the ground. Supporters greet him by affectionately chanting huat-ah! (to prosper).

The bond that WP has forged with the residents is exceptional – Low attended practically every funeral wake in the early years, commiserating with grieving families. The residents in turn would show up at the meet-the-people sessions just to offer him food and boiled tonic drinks because they could see him working his heart out for them.

So if we have to distill the Hougang Spirit, it is is borne out of sacrifice, stubborn resistance and resilience.

Come what may, resist temptation, even if there is the threat of having to pay a price.

https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/2...it-to-inflict-defeat-after-defeat-on-the-pap/

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hougang should fight for independence. Form their own country within Sg with armed forces , currency, whole parliament etc.

knnb40

Alfrescian
Loyal
for Mr. low to win Hougang and later won Aljunied GRC demonstrated that Singapore recognized good quality opposition leader and want to be lead by opposition with e a right sound mind.
I foresee that present day, with insufficient quality opposition and how these high salary MPs mis handles this pandemic, Singaporean will become mindless and more willing to risk as by voting opposition no matter what quality they are.
As I myself no longer want to wait for Mr. Low to my ward.
the present high salary MPs no longer has the heart to served Singapore/Citizen , none of them has any idea what commoner life style is like and they don't care.

songsongjurong

Alfrescian
Loyal
their defunct Aljinied GRC team di mana? any resilience, fortitude ?

quitters best define them.

George+yeo+and+aljunied+team.jpg

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
their defunct Aljinied GRC team di mana? any resilience, fortitude ?

quitters best define them.

George+yeo+and+aljunied+team.jpg

Lady on the left, easily forgettable. Poof, disappeared to thin air.
OKY was reported to join the public sector at that time - turned up to be
Keppel Corp;
BG George Yeo disappeared north to Hong Kong
Lim Hwee Hua returned to her old industry, the only notable one to succeed on her own
The last guy (forgot his name) went on to warm the SPH chairmanship until he was also shown the door.

jw5

Loyal
The bestest part for me is that natural aristocrat had to apologise before the elections, but to no avail. :thumbsup:

Lady on the left, easily forgettable. Poof, disappeared to thin air.
OKY was reported to join the public sector at that time - turned up to be
Keppel Corp;
BG George Yeo disappeared north to Hong Kong
Lim Hwee Hua returned to her old industry, the only notable one to succeed on her own
The last guy (forgot his name) went on to warm the SPH chairmanship until he was also shown the door.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like they are keeping the apologies in their tool box - to be unleashed to the voters at
the strategically appropriate time. No point wasting bullets now.

jw5

Loyal
I look forward to another apology by the Dragon Prince. :coffee:

Looks like they are keeping the apologies in their tool box - to be unleashed to the voters at
the strategically appropriate time. No point wasting bullets now.

millim6868

Alfrescian
Loyal
The carrots will not work , till now many sinkies still don know that what upgrade done will not cover the fact that all 99 yrs pigeon hole depreciating .

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
for Mr. low to win Hougang and later won Aljunied GRC demonstrated that Singapore recognized good quality opposition leader and want to be lead by opposition with e a right sound mind.
I foresee that present day, with insufficient quality opposition and how these high salary MPs mis handles this pandemic, Singaporean will become mindless and more willing to risk as by voting opposition no matter what quality they are.
As I myself no longer want to wait for Mr. Low to my ward.
the present high salary MPs no longer has the heart to served Singapore/Citizen , none of them has any idea what commoner life style is like and they don't care.

How do you know the opposition is of low quality? From what you read and watch on the PAP-controlled media?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hougang won't forever vote for WP or any opposition parties. miw is surely slowly chipping away whatever advantage WP have in hougang. Those 6-8 new blocks of residents at the gangka plus two new condo projects TOP after 2015 will be testing for ah huat as the whole area is separated from the WP core area and these new residents have no affiliation with WP as per residents from avenue 3/5/7. Even the block 322 coffee shop had recently changed owner despite still using the old signboard.
The miw crassloot advisor very aggressive, every week had kopishop chat at 327 before covid 19 with 2-3 lackeys in tow.
Although ah huat is recognized by everyone in hougang but that does not mean support. The fact miw had copy many ideas from Mr low such as attend wakes and void deck weddings.
If locals still want alternate voice in parliament but not in my estate then soon there will no longer be any left once hougang fell. It really possible as even in the old estate the residents had been changing. Of the 6 families on the same corridor, only my mom and another units are the original first owner brought from hdb.