• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Trouble with security agency. Legal advice needed.

MisterGuard

Alfrescian
Loyal
My agency is screwing around with me.

I sent an SMS to my O.E. on the 17th of April, informing him of my decision to resign. According to my contract, I have to give 2 weeks notice. So I told him my last day would be the 29th of April.

No reply from him.

I sent him another SMS the following day, the 18th of April. Again, no reply.

So I sent an email to the HR department of the agency informing them of my decision to resign. This email was sent on the evening of the 18th. In my email, I asked them to acknowledge my resignation via email or text message.

Today, I called the HR person and asked her if she has seen my email. She said yes. So I ended the call assuming they have already acknowledged my resignation.

But I just checked my inbox and there's nothing from the agency.

Are they allowed to screw around with my resignation like that? Can they just ignore my resignation in order to make me stay with the agency?

I am kinda worried because on the 1st of May, I will get confirmed as a permanent staff or something like that and that means (according to my contract), I would have to give a whole month's notice to resign.

Can they keep on ignoring me and only "formally" receive my resignation on 1st May and force me to stay on for another month?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
if they don't want you back they don't owe you an acknowledgement or reply. if they reply they can tell you to feck off.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at your letter of appointment or contract. It will normally state how the notice is to be given. It will normally state - in writing. E- messages may not qualify but firms do accept it. Agree with Yinyang on the acknowledgement part. The fact that the HR has confirmed that she had seen the email and did not advice you to send something in writing should be fine.

Going forward it best to send it by email with a clear header stating that "Notice of Resignation. Most companies now accept emails. It avoid the uncertainties and the angst as there is a record.

gatehousethetinkertailor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Resignation is a unilateral act ie there is no need for acknowledgment of acceptance. Acknowledgment of receipt is not the same. Based on what you have stated you appear to have abided by the terms of your employment contract and indicated you would serve out your notice period. Since you have served notice it cannot be withdrawn unilaterally ie if you decide to change your mind and remain then you will need the employer's acceptance of the withdrawal in writing ie mutual consent of both parties.
Although with technology in some countries it is even acceptable to divorce by SMS, it is always better to maintain a proper communication trail and record to ensure there is no ambiguity. Emails can be tricky because the recipient may claim that they never received it. If you serve a hard copy always keep a copy of the document for your own record. Or better still get an acknowledgement of receipt (depending on how much you trust the other party).

Last edited: