• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Triple Lens Camera Phone Coming - Huawei P20 Pro

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
oh forgot. it runs on android, which is crap. every android phone now tries to look like the iphone x - dual camera position, bezel less, borderless, charging that looks like the lightning port (but it's some usb crap), audio holes at the bottom spread out evenly on both sides, and the upper notch on the otherwise perfect screen. android knockoffs don't need to have the notch, but they copy the notch anyways. if apple smears shit on the phone, android knockoffs will also smear shit on the copies. that's an outright capitulation that the iphone x design is the de facto trend-setter.
iPhone user: We're getting facial recognition

Samsung user: Had that 4 year's ago next

iPhone user: We're getting wireless charging

Samsung user: Had that 2 year's ago next

iPhone user: We're getting water resistance

Samsung user: Had that 3 year's ago next

iPhone user: Nothing is better that an iPhone

Samsung user: Your screen is from Samsung you know, it's our technology

iPhone user: What am i paying for then?

Samsung user: A galaxy s6

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
iPhone user: We're getting facial recognition

Samsung user: Had that 4 year's ago next

iPhone user: We're getting wireless charging

Samsung user: Had that 2 year's ago next

iPhone user: We're getting water resistance

Samsung user: Had that 3 year's ago next

iPhone user: Nothing is better that an iPhone

Samsung user: Your screen is from Samsung you know, it's our technology

iPhone user: What am i paying for then?

Samsung user: A galaxy s6
luckily not s6.9 or s7.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Skip to:
Main Content
Site Navigation
Site footer
Site Map

Share on FacebookShare via SMSShare on WhatsAppShare via Email

Technology
Gadgets
This is not an iPhone killer
JULY 6, 20181:02pm
Play VideoPlay
0:00
/
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Fullscreen
GQ Takes The Huawei P20 Pro On Safari

Harry Tuckernews.com.au
AT LEAST three times a year, there will be new devices by phone makers not named Apple or Samsung that reviewers will claim are the cheap alternatives you’ve been spending your life waiting for.

Those reviews and news stories will tell you that, on paper, this device has everything you could ever want in an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S device, but at a fraction of the price.

There will be the fastest processor, massive amounts of memory, a million cameras, it’ll be fireproof or maybe even have the ability to cure world hunger.

But saying something is better on paper rarely actually translates to it being better in real life. Things often come back to the old line: You get what you pay for.

After using both the Apple iPhone X and Google’s fantastic Pixel 2 XL for the last nine months, I wanted to try something new and fell sucker for the marketing campaign and many of the seemingly glowing reviews of the Huawei P20 Pro. So I went and laid down $1099 in cold hard cash on the counter of my local JB Hi-Fi.

After all, this thing has three cameras that are meant to blow my mind, an amazing display and Huawei has claimed to have cleaned right up its previously woeful take on the Android operating system, which it calls EMUI.

This is a device that promises the world, it promises the iPhone X experience, but better, for $500 less. What’s not to love ... on paper?

THE PREMIUM EXPERIENCE

Phones have been relatively unexciting up until the last 12 months. It was iteration after iteration with no seemingly huge leaps.

Then last year two new devices made things fun again — the Apple iPhone X and Google’s Pixel 2.

Apple’s made waves from its revolutionary design and gesture-based interface. If you use it for more than five minutes, you can tell this is how a smartphone should be.

The Pixel 2 from Google brought with it the first camera to truly challenge a DSLR. The pictures you can take on that device regularly blow your mind — whether it be in low light, taking pictures of landscapes or portrait photos. No smartphone has even come close to what it can produce.

MORE: Smartphone wars: Can a free trip to Bali entice you to buy a mid-range phone?

MORE: Can this new Chinese company challenge Apple or Google?

But perhaps the best part about both of these devices is how much effort both Google and Apple have put into getting the little things right. You know, those things you don’t notice on paper, or things that you might not realise when you play with your device for five minutes in the store before purchasing.

With the iPhone X it was just how easy it was to use. The gestures to swap between apps, navigate around the device and interact with its features all feel so natural — it’s almost shocking how wonderful it is to use the device. You constantly find yourself simply enjoying the experience of just doing the little daily things you always do.

The team at Apple really thought about this. There’s a lot of care and the engineers have obviously looked at it greatly from a functional user perspective.

Apple’s iPhone X can feel like magic. Picture: Neil Soni
Apple’s iPhone X can feel like magic. Picture: Neil SoniSource:Supplied
In Google’s Pixel 2, there seemed to always be little things that would surprise me and make it a delight. It’s all-day battery life, the additional features such as “Now Playing” which can tell you what song is playing even in a noisy shop. And its camera — the glorious camera.

Google’s camera engineers had taken a step back and focused on what people want to take pictures of, how they take pictures of it and designed software that processes photos in a way that makes anyone look like a professional photographer just by pointing and shooting from their phone. I mean, take a look at some photos I’ve taken on it below over the last few months — nothing here was edited, and was purely just pointed at and snapped.

This was super low light, but the Pixel 2 nailed it. Including a nice bit of depth. Picture: Harry Tucker
This was super low light, but the Pixel 2 nailed it. Including a nice bit of depth. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
The dynamic range and how the camera focuses on this is honestly spectacular. I still can’t believe a phone took it. Picture: Harry Tucker
The dynamic range and how the camera focuses on this is honestly spectacular. I still can’t believe a phone took it. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
On the surface this might not look as impressive as the others, but the Pixel nailed the whites of this horse and the Icelandic snow. Something the Galaxy Note8 which was also with me struggled with, turning it very blue. Picture: Harry Tucker
On the surface this might not look as impressive as the others, but the Pixel nailed the whites of this horse and the Icelandic snow. Something the Galaxy Note8 which was also with me struggled with, turning it very blue. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
Even Google’s stock Android is now a breeze to use, with intuitive menus and intelligent Google Assistant. It all just works, it’s fast, and everything is exactly where you want it to be.

WHAT THE IPHONE ‘KILLERS’ GET WRONG

Enter the Huawei P20 Pro. It’s meant to be the device that takes Huawei into the same level as Apple, Samsung and Google. But every day I use it, I find a new reason to be frustrated by it.

Now Huawei has nailed the five-minute impression. The design is undoubtedly premium, the screen is gorgeous and it has a very intuitive night mode on the camera (which has three lenses) allowing you take pictures in light you didn’t think was possible — handy, but also mostly just a sales gimmick.

Huawei has tried too hard to get everything in for that initial experience, for the money people want to pay — at the expense of the overall experience.

My first 48 hours with the device I found utterly infuriating, before I was able to disable certain things that improved it a bit. For example, by default, there’s a setting on the device that will automatically turn off your mobile data when you connect to Wi-Fi, so when you leave that Wi-Fi network you find your phone suddenly stops loading anything before realising you need to turn that option off.

It’s only a little thing, but it’s not a pain you suffer with Apple, Google or Samsung.

It’s the same with the camera that is constantly shouted about. Huawei obviously has some great sensors in the device, but it then over-processes every photo. This means that all your pictures look a little bit like you’ve painted it like an oil painting. Check out the photos below.

This should be an easy photo to nail. Lots of light, and the Huawei has a massive sensor. But unfortunately its post-processing means that everything has lost its detail and almost looks like an oil painting. Picture: Harry Tucker
This should be an easy photo to nail. Lots of light, and the Huawei has a massive sensor. But unfortunately its post-processing means that everything has lost its detail and almost looks like an oil painting. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
Another photo murdered by Huawei’s processing. The meat patties and the bottle of Bulmers for example have lost pretty much all detail and are way too soft. Picture: Harry Tucker
Another photo murdered by Huawei’s processing. The meat patties and the bottle of Bulmers for example have lost pretty much all detail and are way too soft. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
I actually really love the depth that this photo has, and shows the strength of the lens. But yet, again, if you look closer into the tree, you’ll see how much detail has been lost. Picture: Harry Tucker
I actually really love the depth that this photo has, and shows the strength of the lens. But yet, again, if you look closer into the tree, you’ll see how much detail has been lost. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
But the worst part is how criminally unintuitive it is to navigate around the phone. Sure, you can use your standard Android three buttons on the bottom, but then you also have a fingerprint reader below it that acts as a home button, meaning you’re doubling up, wasting valuable screen real estate.

Huawei though, gives you an option to use that button for everything, by tapping, holding and swiping on it. But it couldn’t have integrated it worse if it tried.

For example, to go back on the device, it’s a light tap on the home button, but what often happens when you’re trying to scan your fingerprint to, say, log in to your bank account app, it gets confused, and just takes you back instead of actually unlocking the app. This has happened to me countless times, on my ING app, Macquarie app and LastPass app.

Then there are things like bad lag when you scroll through web pages, and inconsistencies around font and menu sizes.

These don’t sound like much now, but you often find yourself getting frustrated on these little things when you use the device a lot.

I’m not writing this to smash the Huawei device, nor these devices in general. The P20 Pro is generally a fine advice, but if you’re looking to buy one of these budget flagship devices, just remember that they’re budget for a reason.

I understand why people don’t want to spend $1500 or more on a phone — it’s a ludicrous amount of money for such a small device. So I can see why devices, such as this, and the likes of Oppo’s flagship devices can be appealing.

But my advice for someone who’s willing to spend $1100 on a phone is to just save that extra $400 for a true flagship option. This is something you spend hours using each day. That little bit of extra money for something that doesn’t leave you frustrated with its experience, for something that just works is worth every cent.

I just wish I thought of it that way before I bought my Huawei.

The Huawei P20 Pro isn’t worth the money. Picture: Karlis Dambrans/ShutterstockSource:Supplied

Add your comment to this story

Show Comments
read next

Westfield heats up winter with school holiday fun
From scary prehistoric reptiles to euphoric goal celebrations, Westfield is the best place to beat the winter blues and take part in a world of excitement these school holidays.

ADVERTISER CONTENT
Samsung’s disturbing photo glitch
IN A potentially nightmarish scenario, Samsung is investigating a reported glitch that is sending users’ photos to contacts at random.
SMARTPHONES

iPhone rival offers tantalising deal
YOU can now get a quality smartphone with the latest tech and a luxury international holiday, all for the same price as an iPhone. But is the device actually worth it?
SMARTPHONES

Chinese upstart taking on Apple, Google
LOOKING to invest in the next Apple or Google before they take off? Lots of people think it could be this Chinese company about to go public.
SMARTPHONES
Australia’s X-rated selfie habit
AUSSIES take over 700 million selfies each year but new research has found some of us are taking things a little too far.
SMARTPHONES

Telstra to axe maddening charges
TELSTRA is cutting the number of plans it has from 1800 down to 20. Here’s everything you need to know about the changes.
SMARTPHONES

Drastic cuts to Telstra’s phone plans
TELSTRA has announced it will cut 8000 jobs for the workforce as part of a new strategy to save costs - and it’s also cutting back on its number of plans.
SMARTPHONES
Cause of Telstra outage revealed
THE FIRM behind Telstra’s latest outage has been revealed but it’s still investigating the problem that disconnected thousands of Australian phone users.
SMARTPHONES

The unexpected benefits of emojis
THEY’VE been blamed for the death of the English language, but it turns out emojis, memes and selfies might actually have a positive impact.
CM QLD NEWS AND PHOTOS

Samsung dominates iPhone in new test
LATEST figures show the Samsung Galaxy S9 consistently performs better than the iPhone X in one very important metric.
SMARTPHONES

The Childcare Agenda – Transforming AustraliaPROMOTED
The Childcare Agenda – Transforming Australia
impelus.typeform.com
Try these 5 beer cocktails this weekendPROMOTED
Try these 5 beer cocktails this weekend
@Liquorland
PROMOTED
Seiko SSC218P Le Grand Sport Solar Alarm Mens Watch
Shiels AU
PROMOTED
Need a room? Hotels.com
Hotels.com AU
Revealed: Three Aussie Lithium Stocks Fuelling Tesla’s Battery BoomPROMOTED
Revealed: Three Aussie Lithium Stocks Fuelling Tesla’s Battery Boom
Money Morning | Port Phillip Publishing
The secret way to shop for stuff from the USAPROMOTED
The secret way to shop for stuff from the USA
Australia Post
New Nokia with Android smartphone range available nowPROMOTED
New Nokia with Android smartphone range available now
NOKIA on Gadget Guy Australia
PROMOTED
$59.99 - Skechers Men's Track Bucolo Shoe - Black
Catch.com.au
Why Shailene Woodley is the coolest star we knowPROMOTED
Why Shailene Woodley is the coolest star we know
roadshow.com.au
Learn about Jess Dempsey’s post-partum self-care routinePROMOTED
Learn about Jess Dempsey’s post-partum self-care routine
Life-Space on What Would Karl Do
Recommended by

Newsletters
Follow us
A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites.Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out.
News Limited Copyright © 2018. All times AEST (GMT +10).

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Skip to:
Main Content
Site Navigation
Site footer
Site Map

Technology
Gadgets
This is not an iPhone killer
JULY 6, 20181:02pm
Play VideoPlay
/
Loaded: 0%Progress: 0%
Fullscreen
GQ Takes The Huawei P20 Pro On Safari

Harry Tuckernews.com.au
AT LEAST three times a year, there will be new devices by phone makers not named Apple or Samsung that reviewers will claim are the cheap alternatives you’ve been spending your life waiting for.

Those reviews and news stories will tell you that, on paper, this device has everything you could ever want in an iPhone or Samsung Galaxy S device, but at a fraction of the price.

There will be the fastest processor, massive amounts of memory, a million cameras, it’ll be fireproof or maybe even have the ability to cure world hunger.

But saying something is better on paper rarely actually translates to it being better in real life. Things often come back to the old line: You get what you pay for.

After using both the Apple iPhone X and Google’s fantastic Pixel 2 XL for the last nine months, I wanted to try something new and fell sucker for the marketing campaign and many of the seemingly glowing reviews of the Huawei P20 Pro. So I went and laid down $1099 in cold hard cash on the counter of my local JB Hi-Fi.

After all, this thing has three cameras that are meant to blow my mind, an amazing display and Huawei has claimed to have cleaned right up its previously woeful take on the Android operating system, which it calls EMUI.

This is a device that promises the world, it promises the iPhone X experience, but better, for $500 less. What’s not to love ... on paper?

THE PREMIUM EXPERIENCE

Phones have been relatively unexciting up until the last 12 months. It was iteration after iteration with no seemingly huge leaps.

Then last year two new devices made things fun again — the Apple iPhone X and Google’s Pixel 2.

Apple’s made waves from its revolutionary design and gesture-based interface. If you use it for more than five minutes, you can tell this is how a smartphone should be.

The Pixel 2 from Google brought with it the first camera to truly challenge a DSLR. The pictures you can take on that device regularly blow your mind — whether it be in low light, taking pictures of landscapes or portrait photos. No smartphone has even come close to what it can produce.

MORE: Smartphone wars: Can a free trip to Bali entice you to buy a mid-range phone?

MORE: Can this new Chinese company challenge Apple or Google?

But perhaps the best part about both of these devices is how much effort both Google and Apple have put into getting the little things right. You know, those things you don’t notice on paper, or things that you might not realise when you play with your device for five minutes in the store before purchasing.

With the iPhone X it was just how easy it was to use. The gestures to swap between apps, navigate around the device and interact with its features all feel so natural — it’s almost shocking how wonderful it is to use the device. You constantly find yourself simply enjoying the experience of just doing the little daily things you always do.

The team at Apple really thought about this. There’s a lot of care and the engineers have obviously looked at it greatly from a functional user perspective.

Apple’s iPhone X can feel like magic. Picture: Neil Soni
Apple’s iPhone X can feel like magic. Picture: Neil SoniSource:Supplied
In Google’s Pixel 2, there seemed to always be little things that would surprise me and make it a delight. It’s all-day battery life, the additional features such as “Now Playing” which can tell you what song is playing even in a noisy shop. And its camera — the glorious camera.

Google’s camera engineers had taken a step back and focused on what people want to take pictures of, how they take pictures of it and designed software that processes photos in a way that makes anyone look like a professional photographer just by pointing and shooting from their phone. I mean, take a look at some photos I’ve taken on it below over the last few months — nothing here was edited, and was purely just pointed at and snapped.

This was super low light, but the Pixel 2 nailed it. Including a nice bit of depth. Picture: Harry Tucker
This was super low light, but the Pixel 2 nailed it. Including a nice bit of depth. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
The dynamic range and how the camera focuses on this is honestly spectacular. I still can’t believe a phone took it. Picture: Harry Tucker
The dynamic range and how the camera focuses on this is honestly spectacular. I still can’t believe a phone took it. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
On the surface this might not look as impressive as the others, but the Pixel nailed the whites of this horse and the Icelandic snow. Something the Galaxy Note8 which was also with me struggled with, turning it very blue. Picture: Harry Tucker
On the surface this might not look as impressive as the others, but the Pixel nailed the whites of this horse and the Icelandic snow. Something the Galaxy Note8 which was also with me struggled with, turning it very blue. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
Even Google’s stock Android is now a breeze to use, with intuitive menus and intelligent Google Assistant. It all just works, it’s fast, and everything is exactly where you want it to be.

WHAT THE IPHONE ‘KILLERS’ GET WRONG

Enter the Huawei P20 Pro. It’s meant to be the device that takes Huawei into the same level as Apple, Samsung and Google. But every day I use it, I find a new reason to be frustrated by it.

Now Huawei has nailed the five-minute impression. The design is undoubtedly premium, the screen is gorgeous and it has a very intuitive night mode on the camera (which has three lenses) allowing you take pictures in light you didn’t think was possible — handy, but also mostly just a sales gimmick.

Huawei has tried too hard to get everything in for that initial experience, for the money people want to pay — at the expense of the overall experience.

My first 48 hours with the device I found utterly infuriating, before I was able to disable certain things that improved it a bit. For example, by default, there’s a setting on the device that will automatically turn off your mobile data when you connect to Wi-Fi, so when you leave that Wi-Fi network you find your phone suddenly stops loading anything before realising you need to turn that option off.

It’s only a little thing, but it’s not a pain you suffer with Apple, Google or Samsung.

It’s the same with the camera that is constantly shouted about. Huawei obviously has some great sensors in the device, but it then over-processes every photo. This means that all your pictures look a little bit like you’ve painted it like an oil painting. Check out the photos below.

This should be an easy photo to nail. Lots of light, and the Huawei has a massive sensor. But unfortunately its post-processing means that everything has lost its detail and almost looks like an oil painting. Picture: Harry Tucker
This should be an easy photo to nail. Lots of light, and the Huawei has a massive sensor. But unfortunately its post-processing means that everything has lost its detail and almost looks like an oil painting. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
Another photo murdered by Huawei’s processing. The meat patties and the bottle of Bulmers for example have lost pretty much all detail and are way too soft. Picture: Harry Tucker
Another photo murdered by Huawei’s processing. The meat patties and the bottle of Bulmers for example have lost pretty much all detail and are way too soft. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
I actually really love the depth that this photo has, and shows the strength of the lens. But yet, again, if you look closer into the tree, you’ll see how much detail has been lost. Picture: Harry Tucker
I actually really love the depth that this photo has, and shows the strength of the lens. But yet, again, if you look closer into the tree, you’ll see how much detail has been lost. Picture: Harry TuckerSource:Supplied
But the worst part is how criminally unintuitive it is to navigate around the phone. Sure, you can use your standard Android three buttons on the bottom, but then you also have a fingerprint reader below it that acts as a home button, meaning you’re doubling up, wasting valuable screen real estate.

Huawei though, gives you an option to use that button for everything, by tapping, holding and swiping on it. But it couldn’t have integrated it worse if it tried.

For example, to go back on the device, it’s a light tap on the home button, but what often happens when you’re trying to scan your fingerprint to, say, log in to your bank account app, it gets confused, and just takes you back instead of actually unlocking the app. This has happened to me countless times, on my ING app, Macquarie app and LastPass app.

Then there are things like bad lag when you scroll through web pages, and inconsistencies around font and menu sizes.

These don’t sound like much now, but you often find yourself getting frustrated on these little things when you use the device a lot.

I’m not writing this to smash the Huawei device, nor these devices in general. The P20 Pro is generally a fine advice, but if you’re looking to buy one of these budget flagship devices, just remember that they’re budget for a reason.

I understand why people don’t want to spend $1500 or more on a phone — it’s a ludicrous amount of money for such a small device. So I can see why devices, such as this, and the likes of Oppo’s flagship devices can be appealing.

But my advice for someone who’s willing to spend $1100 on a phone is to just save that extra $400 for a true flagship option. This is something you spend hours using each day. That little bit of extra money for something that doesn’t leave you frustrated with its experience, for something that just works is worth every cent.

I just wish I thought of it that way before I bought my Huawei.

The Huawei P20 Pro isn’t worth the money. Picture: Karlis Dambrans/ShutterstockSource:Supplied

Add your comment to this story

Show Comments
read next

Westfield heats up winter with school holiday fun
From scary prehistoric reptiles to euphoric goal celebrations, Westfield is the best place to beat the winter blues and take part in a world of excitement these school holidays.

ADVERTISER CONTENT
Samsung’s disturbing photo glitch
IN A potentially nightmarish scenario, Samsung is investigating a reported glitch that is sending users’ photos to contacts at random.
SMARTPHONES

iPhone rival offers tantalising deal
YOU can now get a quality smartphone with the latest tech and a luxury international holiday, all for the same price as an iPhone. But is the device actually worth it?
SMARTPHONES

Chinese upstart taking on Apple, Google
LOOKING to invest in the next Apple or Google before they take off? Lots of people think it could be this Chinese company about to go public.
SMARTPHONES
Australia’s X-rated selfie habit
AUSSIES take over 700 million selfies each year but new research has found some of us are taking things a little too far.
SMARTPHONES

Telstra to axe maddening charges
TELSTRA is cutting the number of plans it has from 1800 down to 20. Here’s everything you need to know about the changes.
SMARTPHONES

Drastic cuts to Telstra’s phone plans
TELSTRA has announced it will cut 8000 jobs for the workforce as part of a new strategy to save costs - and it’s also cutting back on its number of plans.
SMARTPHONES
Cause of Telstra outage revealed
THE FIRM behind Telstra’s latest outage has been revealed but it’s still investigating the problem that disconnected thousands of Australian phone users.
SMARTPHONES

The unexpected benefits of emojis
THEY’VE been blamed for the death of the English language, but it turns out emojis, memes and selfies might actually have a positive impact.
CM QLD NEWS AND PHOTOS

Samsung dominates iPhone in new test
LATEST figures show the Samsung Galaxy S9 consistently performs better than the iPhone X in one very important metric.
SMARTPHONES

The Childcare Agenda – Transforming AustraliaPROMOTED
The Childcare Agenda – Transforming Australia
impelus.typeform.com
Try these 5 beer cocktails this weekendPROMOTED
Try these 5 beer cocktails this weekend
@Liquorland
PROMOTED
Seiko SSC218P Le Grand Sport Solar Alarm Mens Watch
Shiels AU
PROMOTED
Need a room? Hotels.com
Hotels.com AU
Revealed: Three Aussie Lithium Stocks Fuelling Tesla’s Battery BoomPROMOTED
Revealed: Three Aussie Lithium Stocks Fuelling Tesla’s Battery Boom
Money Morning | Port Phillip Publishing
The secret way to shop for stuff from the USAPROMOTED
The secret way to shop for stuff from the USA
Australia Post
New Nokia with Android smartphone range available nowPROMOTED
New Nokia with Android smartphone range available now
NOKIA on Gadget Guy Australia
PROMOTED
$59.99 - Skechers Men's Track Bucolo Shoe - Black
Catch.com.au
Why Shailene Woodley is the coolest star we knowPROMOTED
Why Shailene Woodley is the coolest star we know
roadshow.com.au
Learn about Jess Dempsey’s post-partum self-care routinePROMOTED
Learn about Jess Dempsey’s post-partum self-care routine
Life-Space on What Would Karl Do
Recommended by

Newsletters
Follow us
A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites.Find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out.
News Limited Copyright © 2018. All times AEST (GMT +10).

I was about to use my education fund to buy this, now I am having second thoughts.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
7 things to know about Leica and Huawei's partnership
I finally learned everything I want to know about what goes into the Leica and Huawei camera partnership.

By Jason Cipriani | July 5, 2018 -- 16:42 GMT (00:42 GMT+08:00) | Topic: Mobility

I recently spent a week in Europe toting around the Huawei P20 Pro on a Huawei media tour. The company flew a handful of journalists overseas for a chance to learn more about the P20 Pro's camera system and the company's partnership with the high-end camera company Leica.

When Huawei and Leica first announced the partnership to use Leica technology in Huawei smartphones to improve the camera experience, there was a lot of doubt regarding whether this was a true partnership -- where both companies are actively working together -- or just a licensing deal.

Read also: First ZTE, now Huawei: The age of Trump paranoia

After several conversations and a visit to Leica's campus in Wetzlar, Germany, I've realized this isn't a mere licensing deal. Looking back on the trip, I learned quite a bit about the partnership.

leica-hq.jpg
(Image: Jason Cipriani/ZDNet)How it started
In 2014, Huawei was looking for ways to improve its smartphone cameras, and Leica had been looking to branch out into the mobile space. Through a series of talks, Huawei and Leica decided it was a match and began working on what was eventually released in the Huawei P9 in 2016.

huawei-p20-pro-lenses.jpg
(Image: Jason Cipriani/ZDNet)About the lenses
They're not glass. It's true. Leica may be known for its glass lenses in far more expensive cameras, but the lenses used on Huawei smartphones are plastic. When asked about any challenges or obstacles a plastic lens presents, Leica officials equated the plastic used for Huawei lenses to just another form of glass. Albeit a far less expensive form of glass.

Who makes the lenses?
Neither Leica or Huawei manufacture the lenses. Instead, a third-party manufacturer in Asia mass-produces the lenses to the specifications agreed upon by Leica and Huawei. It's not surprising that Leica doesn't produce the lenses, as its campus just isn't built for mass production of smartphone components. Huawei has sold six million P20 series phones, with two to three lenses on each phone -- the Leica campus isn't designed for that size of production undertaking.

It's about more than lenses and a logo
The partnership doesn't stop at just lens design. In fact, there are a total of four different components of the partnership: Sensors, lenses, ISP, and tuning. Leica and Huawei have a team of engineers dedicated to working together to fine tune each of those items, make design decisions, and craft the overall camera experience on Huawei phones.

Read also: Why Huawei smartphones are locked out of the US - CNET

The collaboration stops at still photos, however. Right now, Leica has no input on the front-facing camera along with video capture.

leica-modes-in-huawei-camera.jpg
(Image: Jason Cipriani/ZDNet)Color modes specifically trying to emulate Leica cameras
For example, there are three modes -- standard, vivid colors, smooth colors -- in the Huawei camera app that are easily accessed and not hidden behind some convoluted menu. These three modes are designed to imitate color modes that Leica cameras have used for years.

It's exclusive!
Leica may have its hand in making prescription glasses, working with car companies to put its lenses in vehicle cameras, high-end watches, and anything else that includes a glass lens of sorts -- but as far as smartphones are concerned, you'll only find the Leica name on the back of Huawei devices. It's an exclusive deal.

Already working on features four years down the road
Naturally, when talking with various members from Leica and Huawei, it's hard not to ask about the future. Also natural is the tendency for companies to deflect the question and not reveal anything too juicy. Try as I might to ask about how many lenses we can expect on the Huawei P30 or even P40, the most information I could get was that Huawei and Leica are already working on camera features for devices four years down the road.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I stick to Apple simply because I trust the company and iOS more than I trust Google plus iOS is definitely harder to hack into. There are so many flavors of Android out there that patching holes is an absolute nightmare. The fact that each phone manufacturer adds its own facade to the basic code makes things even worse.

I don't trust Google one iota. Apple is no saint but in comparison to Android it is chalk and cheese.

If iOS could run on other phones my options would be far wider. Unfortunately this is not the case.

Last edited:

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is about s9. But in general. Flagship phones are on the way down.
GoodGearGuideSearch
Samsung Galaxy S9 sales are slumping and that's a problem for all premium Android phones
Does anyone want an $800 Android phone anymore?

Michael Simon (PC World (US online)) on 07 July, 2018 00:40

Credit: Michael Simon/IDG
When Samsung announces its quarterly results later this month, the numbers will look plenty good to the untrained eye: $13 billion in profit on $51.8 billion revenue. However, analysts will tell you that those figures represent a 0.7-percent decline in sales over the prior year’s quarter. That might not seem like a terrible dip, but when you zero in a little further, it spells trouble for one of Samsung’s most visible products: the Galaxy S9.
According to reports, Samsung sold the fewest number of S series flagship phones since 2012’s Galaxy S3, with a reported 31 million units shipping in 2018. To put that in perspective, the Galaxy S7 was the high-water mark for Samsung’s S flagship, with some 50 million sales. That means many people are either sticking with their S7s or switching to a different phone altogether. And that’s a problem, not just for Samsung but for all premium Android phone makers.
It’s not just that Apple sold more iPhones last quarter than Samsung’s expected S9 sales for the entire year. It’s that consumers aren’t wowed by premium Android phones anymore. And unless 2019 brings some serious innovation, the buzz around premium Android phones may slip away forever.

Nothing to see here

Many critics will point to the Galaxy S9’s overall lack of innovation as a reason for the lagging sales, and that’s certainly a factor. The Galaxy S9 is visually identical to last year’s S8, and its main improvements—a variable aperture camera, Super Slo Mo, and AR Emoji—are hardly gotta-have-it features.
galaxy s9 versusMichael Simon/IDG
The Galaxy S9 (right) changes the placement of the fingerprint sensor, but otherwise it’s virtually identical to the the S8 (left).
But the S9 is still the year’s best Android phone so far. And that’s where the problem lies. Android phone makers are so concerned with keeping up with Apple by adding a camera notch and facial recognition, none of them are innovating anymore, at least not like they were in the days of the Galaxy S3. The phones’ processors, cameras, displays, and graphics have dramatically improved since then, of course, but the year-over-year improvements are largely incremental these days. And even for customers who live on the cutting edge, there just aren’t many compelling reasons to plunk down a pile of cash for a new Android phone each year.

Are persistent bots permanently rooted in your smart home?
More from Bitdefender
That might change with the S10, which is rumored to have a true edge-to-edge screen, a 3D sensing camera, and in-display fingerprint scanning—but with it will probably come a price tag that tops $1,000. And I’m not sure the market is there for a premium Android phone that costs that much.
Value versus price

It used to be that the premium Android phones were so far ahead of the pack, it would take years for the rest of the field to catch up. That’s not the case anymore. The relentless pace and competition has narrowed that gap significantly, and you can walk into a Verizon store today and find a $450 phone with a big HD screen, respectable processor, and decent camera. Even features like wireless charging are starting trickle down into much cheaper phones.
Even design is less of a factor these days. Phones like the Nokia 6.1 and the OnePlus 6 are using premium materials in mid-range phones, and the S9’s all-glass Infinity Display isn’t quite as lustrous or lust-worthy as it once was. The latest Samsung smartphone used to turn heads, but now it’s just another handset on a sea of shiny rectangles. Even the Pixel phone, which comes with Google’s stamp of approval and the promise of three years of software updates, is struggling to gain much traction. And its high entry price is the biggest reason why.
oneplus 6 frontMichael Simon/IDG
The OnePlus 6 looks and acts like a phones that costs $800.
It’s not that premium doesn’t matter anymore, but the line between the premium Android phones and the mid-range is getting thinner and thinner. The new OnePlus 6, for example, costs $529, and has the same Snapdragon 845 processor, 6.2-inch display, and 6GB of RAM as the S9+, which costs $400 more. The camera might not be as good, but it isn’t $400 worse. OnePlus says it sold more than a million phones in less than a month, a drop in the bucket compared to Samsung and Apple, but still significant.
These days, the best value might be found in lsat year’s phone. The Galaxy S8 is essentially a cheaper S9. The Pixel takes pictures that are just as good as the Pixel 2. People just aren’t buying premium Android phones like they once were, and the next innovation, even if it’s the fabled folding-screen phone, might not be enough to bring it back.
Join the newsletter!

Email address
Join
Or
Sign in with LinkedIn
Sign in with Facebook
Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.
Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.
Tags Galaxy S9

More about AppleGalaxyGoogleIDGInfinityNokiaOnePlusSamsungVerizon

Read next

Australian prep for 2018 Overwatch World Cup with new roster

Here's all 21 free games available through Twitch for Prime Day

In Pictures: Rift Rivals Sydney 2018

In Pictures: Sony show off their 2018 AV lineup

In Pictures: The highlights of Computex 2018

Asus packs OLED displays into new ROG liquid-coolers and power supplies

Phones
TVs
Computing
Hardware & Software
Business Centre
Games & Gaming
Security Watch
Resources
More
Copyright 2013 IDG Communications. ABN 14 001 592 650. All rights reserved.
Switch to full size
[]

TemaseX

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huawei P20 series could come with 40W power super fast charge.

But feels a bit scary, super fast charge if exploded, will turn you into Nigger instantly!

https://tech.sina.com.cn/mobile/n/n/2018-08-16/doc-ihhtfwqs0430594.shtml

官方暗示:华为Mate20系列或首发40W超级快充

2018年08月16日 08:13 IT之家

近期关于华为Mate20系列的消息越来越多,日前华为移动在海外的一条推文似乎暗示新机将首发40W超级快充功能。
aDKH-hhtfwqs0420360.jpg

华为移动这条推文主要介绍了华为手机连续四年在快充技术上的逐步升级,从2015年的18W快充技术到后来的22.5W超级快充,再到获得TUV安全认证,不仅在充电速度得到了提升,而且安全性也更有保障。
在这个时间点发布这样一条推文,让人不禁联想到关于华为40W超级快充的传闻,此前有消息表示华为已经开始生产新的40W充电头,并且根据国家质量认证中心公布的信息显示,华为旗下已有一款型号为HW-100400C00电源适配器获得了3C认证,主要特色便是支持10V/4A充电输出。
这些消息似乎都在暗示华为Mate20将首发40W超级快充技术,不禁让人很是期待。不仅如此,此前消息此前英国网站Pocket-lint还曝光了一张华为手机路线图,展示了过去三代旗舰版机型的电池容量,暗示华为Mate20将在P20 Pro的4000毫安时的电量上进一步升级。
另外,华为Mate20还将首发麒麟980处理器,预计将在10月份正式发布。

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://tech.sina.com.cn/mobile/n/n/2018-08-16/doc-ihhtfwqs0430594.shtml

Official hint: Huawei Mate20 series or starting 40W super fast charge
August 16, 2018 08:13 IT House

Recently, there have been more and more news about Huawei's Mate20 series. A recent tweet by Huawei Mobile seems to suggest that the new machine will launch the 40W super fast charging function.
aDKH-hhtfwqs0420360.jpg

Huawei Mobile's tweet mainly introduces the gradual upgrade of Huawei's mobile phone technology for fast charging technology for four consecutive years, from the 18W fast charging technology in 2015 to the later 22.5W super fast charging, and then to the TUV security certification, not only in charging. The speed has been improved and the security is more secure.
At this point in time, such a tweet was released, and people couldn’t help but think of the rumors about Huawei’s 40W super fast charge. It was reported that Huawei has started to produce a new 40W charging head, and according to the information released by the National Quality Certification Center, Huawei One of the models has a 3C certification for the HW-100400C00 power adapter. The main feature is to support 10V/4A charging output.
These news seem to be suggesting that Huawei Mate20 will launch 40W super fast charging technology, and people can't help but expect it. Not only that, the previous news that the British website Pocket-lint also exposed a Huawei mobile phone road map, showing the battery capacity of the past three generations of the flagship model, suggesting that Huawei Mate20 will be further upgraded in the P20 Pro's 4000 mAh battery. .
In addition, Huawei Mate20 will also launch the Kirin 980 processor, which is expected to be officially released in October.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
The truth about this picture

PHLBGUNWCNHA5O4TJT3LMIY7OM.jpg

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, well we probably should've expected this from Huawei.
Chinese smartphone maker Huawei — one of the biggest smartphone brands in the world — has been grilled online for trying to pass off DSLR photography as if it was taken by the front-facing camera on its new Nova 3 smartphone.

The selfie snaps in the ad clearly look a bit too good to be true

This is not the first time Huawei has been caught doing this sort of thing. As Android Police uncovered, Huawei was caught posting a shot online that appeared to be from one of its P9 smartphones but metadata revealed it was shot on a $5000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III.
It was also caught photo shopping away the bezels on renderings for its P8 phone used in certain advertisements.
Huawei is not the only one, however. Samsung Brazil was recently caught trying to pass off stock photos as pictures taken with the Galaxy A8.

DlDGAiiUUAUy1XY.jpg

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
fake news.... buy one and try it yourself and you will be converted rewarded with 6.9 MP of virgin camel toes

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
https://www.forbes.com/sites/moorin...e-best-smartphone-camera-period/#7cd01ca34fbd

The Huawei P20 Pro: The Best Smartphone Camera, Period

16,227 viewsAug 22, 2018, 03:21pm by Anshel Sag
Anshel Sag is a Moor Insights & Strategy analyst focusing on mobility and virtual reality

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmoorinsights%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F08%2F20180822_011932-1200x900.jpg

The new Huawei P20 Pro smartphone.Anshel Sag

Over the past few months I’ve had a chance to try virtually every phone on the market, including the iPhone X, Pixel 2 XL, LG G7, Galaxy S9+, and many others. At this point, there is no question that many manufacturers and users consider the camera to be their number one feature priority. With that in mind, Huawei has been working diligently with every generation to catch up with its competition ( Samsung Electronics and Apple AAPL +0.16%). The company’s latest effort, the Huawei P20 Pro, is its strongest yet—after spending the last few months with the smartphone, here’s my review of the device.

The camera to beat all others
In my opinion, Huawei’s P20 Pro has the best camera out of all the flagship phones that have been released thus far in the US. The tragedy of the P20 Pro is that you cannot get it in the US through normal means (and affordable means) due to the Trump administration’s ban on Huawei smartphones. Still, it’s worth the effort for photography buffs. Huawei has benefited greatly from its partnership with Leica, one of the most storied names in photography. While Huawei’s initial Leica-branded phone cameras felt more like just a label than a co-developed camera design, subsequent cameras have shown Huawei and Leica making major strides together in camera performance and quality.

The P20 Pro features three different image sensors with different purposes. If you want the full capability of the phone’s camera, you have to enable the 10 MP image size (though a 40 MP sensor does exist and you can force it to take 40 MP images with limited abilities). The P20 Pro took fantastic photos in daylight, and at night I found it to outshine every phone that I owned (including the Google GOOGL +0.85% Pixel 2 XL, the previous low-light king). The P20 Pro has a night mode that takes low-light photos to the next level, basically pulling light out of scenes that the human eye can’t even see. The zoom on the camera is the best I’ve ever seen. I took long distance shots of the statue of Liberty from the top of One World Trade Tower viewing deck and the P20 Pro’s shots were even better than the ones I took with my iPhone X. I believe this can be attributed to the 5X hybrid zoom that the Huawei P20 Pro is sporting.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fmoorinsights%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F08%2FIMG_20180621_092732-1200x900.jpg

Long-distance shot of the Statue of Liberty, taken by the P20 Pro.Anshel Sag

Huawei also went overboard with a high-resolution 24MP front-facing camera, and all the standard front-facing selfie capabilities you’d expect a flagship phone to have. These include portrait mode and beautification features, as well as audio and facial recognition features. I also commend Huawei’s implementation of the most useful AI camera I’ve tested thus far—though I do find myself turning it off about 25% of the time, because either the filters are too aggressive or I don’t want to pull text from a document (though that is a nice feature to have). The AI camera can also launch slide photo mode at conferences, to correct the orientation and crop out the irrelevant surroundings. This is a great feature for analysts like me, who attend many conferences and meetings.

The video capabilities on the Huawei P20 Pro feel very standard and don’t really set the phone apart from the rest of the market. It seems like Huawei prioritized the camera’s photography capabilities and DXO score over developing new or unique video features. That said, the P20 Pro’s low-light video capture is quite good. If you record at only 1080P, there are ample video features enabled, but if you record in 4K (which is all I do), then you pretty much lose all features like stabilization and predictive focus. The phone does have a 960 fps slow-mo mode, but I found it to be not as good as the ones I’ve used on Samsung and Sony devices.

If you'd like to see more images from the P20 Pro, head on over to this Flickr gallery to see them in their full glory.

The rest of the package
Yes, the phone has a notch and no, it does not have a headphone jack—both unfortunate for an Android phone, in my opinion. Huawei opted for a very vibrant OLED display shows off the camera’s capabilities. Huawei did choose to keep one feature that virtually everyone else has done away with, and that’s the IR (infrared) blaster. For those unfamiliar, this is a device that emulates an infrared remote control so that users can control their TV via their smartphone.

The rest of the phone feels like its mostly stuck in place—there’s not much in terms of software improvements over Huawei’s previous devices, like the Mate 10. I would argue that the rest of the phone suffered in terms of updates in order for the camera to get the attention it got. Perhaps Huawei was right in pursuing this strategy—after all, the camera is the most marketable feature of smartphones today, and it’s usually the first thing people ask about when buying a new phone.

The performance of the phone overall is good, and the 6GB of RAM seems to be enough. This does not seem to come at the cost of battery life—the P20 Pro has a 4,000 mAh battery, which is among the largest in the smartphone market. When it comes to wireless connectivity, Huawei is surprisingly quiet on specs, but is limited to only operating on GSM networks. While Huawei’s IP67 water resistance rating doesn’t measure up to many other flagships’ IP68 rating, it is still a good thing to have in case it gets a little wet.

Wrapping up
These limitations noted, Huawei has clearly put considerable resources and thought into making the P20 Pro the best smartphone camera in the world. When you have the best anything, that tends to reflect well upon the rest of your product stack. Huawei understands this—it didn’t rise to the position of #2 smartphone manufacturer in the world by making poor market moves. It’s an exceptional camera—it’s truly unfortunate that if you live in the U.S. you will have to pay an arm and a leg and hop through some hoops to get your hands on it.

Disclosure: My firm, Moor Insights & Strategy, like all research and analyst firms, provides or has provided research, analysis, advising, and/or consulting to many high-tech companies in the industry, including Huawei Technologies, Google, and Sony. The author does not hold any equity positions with any companies cited in this column.