• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Toyotal Altis Unsafe?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Posted on 20 Nov 2009
This is my car after crash: Why didn't airbags deploy?

this_is_my_car_after_crash_why_didnt_airbags_deploy-thumbnail.jpg

STOMPer Yoda was shocked that his car airbags failed to deploy even after a nasty accident that left the bonnet of his Toyota Altis buckled and twisted.

Here's what the STOMPer wrote in an email today (Nov 20):

"I crashed my car on the night of Friday the 13th.

"I took a corner on a wet road and lost control of my vehicle, skidding 30-40 metres before hitting a concrete wall.

"Thankfully nobody was hurt. I sustained whiplash injuries (neck strain and muscle spasms) as well as bruises to the chest.

"My question is, why didn't the airbags of my 3-year-old Toyota Altis deploy? The passenger side of the car was heavily damaged, to the point the door could not be opened.

"I was lucky to escape with only minor injuries, but it could have been a whole lot worse. What is the point of a safety feature built into a car if it doesn't deploy when your life is in danger?"

Click on thumbnails for larger image

Keywords: accident , airbags

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what crappy drivers. lose control of car like that.
now even blame toyota.

he is still alive.

the airbag are designed to save his life
obviously the airbag think the crash is not so series.
which is correct, since he is still alive.

kukubird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well this is in no particular to any driver but about how stingy people will think regards to safety.
There is always a price to pay for good stuff.
Good savings and buy cheap car and also use cheap tyres or continue to use expired harden tyres.
As long can move, not bad looking and tyres can grip will do ...
That is how much a person know about automotives and weak driving skill is not only a sad case, these people put other road users in danger as well.
Lack of wisdom is nobody faults but yourself. :smile:
Such things happen claim insurance ... then leads to others to pay for a higher premium the next renewer. :(

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Air Bag not deployed because the impact is not great. Just take a look at the dashboard, it is still in position.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The car is smart because it knows that the driver will be lucky and will not die or sustain huge injuries. Air bag only deployed when the driver is unlucky.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
the questions is not whether airbag is working or not....

the question is when the times come, it will come, dun avoid it...

Princess Diana sat in the Super classed Benz...with dunno how many tons of steel and air bags for protection...but still got killed.

so anyone of you are prepared for that day?

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
fuck japanese car ...eroupean car is the best ...try volvo ...they are tough .

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Princess Diana was not wearing a seatbelt and this apparently contributed to the injuries that killed her.

the questions is not whether airbag is working or not....

the question is when the times come, it will come, dun avoid it...

Princess Diana sat in the Super classed Benz...with dunno how many tons of steel and air bags for protection...but still got killed.

so anyone of you are prepared for that day?

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most airbag sensors are place under the PU bumper and an impact like what's in the photo will certainly deploy the airbags.

However, depending on a number or possibilities, such as any front end modifications, the age of the vehicle and if it has a service history at Borneo, that could decide if the airbags would deploy.

I had a 944 S2 many years back and it hadn't been to Stuttgart after it's 10th year. While at Sepang, heavy breaking into a corner the airbags deployed and almost caused a lost of control.

But then again, the car was over 10 years and the sensors were faulty.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The car is smart lah, the car understand that the one driving is a sinkie and no technology will wanna save a sinkie.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Most airbag sensors are place under the PU bumper and an impact like what's in the photo will certainly deploy the airbags.

However, depending on a number or possibilities, such as any front end modifications, the age of the vehicle and if it has a service history at Borneo, that could decide if the airbags would deploy.

I had a 944 S2 many years back and it hadn't been to Stuttgart after it's 10th year. While at Sepang, heavy breaking into a corner the airbags deployed and almost caused a lost of control.

But then again, the car was over 10 years and the sensors were faulty.

The crash happened primarily on the passenger side. If there is no front passenger, the airbag sensor will not deploy the airbag. the reason is that the cost is very expensive to replace a deployed airbag. In any case, 50% of the cars in S'pore are not safe anyway, they don't meet many standards such as the US DOT. By the way, your 944's airbags are probably first generation. Now, they are very reliable.