• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Town Council took unemployed man to court for S&C arrears of $432

temasekreview

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jalan Besar Town Council had took an unemployed man to court for arrears S&C arrears of $432!

In a letter written to the Straits Times Forum, Mr Lim Beo Thiam, a 52 year old who has been unemployed for 18 months and lost part of a leg through diabetes relates his unhappy experience with his Town Council. (read letter here)

He claimed that this is the first time he did not pay the S&C charges due to financial difficulties and he was taken to court by Jalan Besar Town Council.

His new debts now ballooned to more than $1,000 which included court penalties and late payment charges.

“When I tried to settle subsequent S&C charges to avoid a fresh spiral of hefty penalties for non-payment, I was rejected. The town council ruled that I had to settle the old debt before I could pay the new charges. Naturally, this led to more penalties as my fresh S&C arrears spiked. So, I am now some $3,000 in debt to my town council,” he added.

Read rest of article here:

http://www.temasekreview.com/2009/09/30/town-council-took-unemployed-man-to-court-for-sc-arrears/

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qB44c9X3k4Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qB44c9X3k4Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Everyone has a responsibility to pay what they owe. Unemployment and illnesses are NOT valid excuses.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Then pray tell, what are "VALID EXCUSES" ?

Goh Meng Seng

Death or major Brain Damage would be valid excuses. If a person is dead or has lost his marbles, debts should be written off if they can't be recovered legally.

Many people go through periods of poor health and unemployment and we can't expect creditors to forgive debt for such trivial reasons. The whole system would break down.

People need to taught that contingency planning is part and parcel of life. The need to save for a rainy day should be inculcated from childhood.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
People need to taught that contingency planning is part and parcel of life. The need to save for a rainy day should be inculcated from childhood.

Singaporeans I mean those largely under-educated and those rotting in the heartlands are living like animals . Never thinking more than eating cheap food and robbing others .

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Death or major Brain Damage would be valid excuses. If a person is dead or has lost his marbles, debts should be written off if they can't be recovered legally.

Debt can still be legally recovered from the estate administrator upon death, if there's still any money or asset left in credit.

However, this looks like a genuine case of hardship. He lost part of his leg.

Last edited:

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Double whammy, no money and lost part of leg. If he had money for insurance, at least could claim partial disability.

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
No money must cow pei cow bu, make a loud noise so reporters from newspapers and tv stations will know and come to report. then all the problems solve lah. why chui tough lang, xiao xiao teo sue, xiao xiao teo kang?

FuckSamLeong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the fuck you think they expanded Changi Prison for?

Cannot pay TC charges? Stop at the courts and straight to jail!

Cannot pay TV licence? Stop at the courts and go straight to jail!

Cannot pay HDB mortgages? Get your flat lelonged by HDB and move to the void decks. Get summoned for vagrancy and cannot pay? Stop at the courts and go straight to jail. Do not collect $200!

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Many people go through periods of poor health and unemployment and we can't expect creditors to forgive debt for such trivial reasons. The whole system would break down.

Dear Sam Leong

I really don't know what are the valid excuses that are valid for owing money but .... I know what are the very valid excuses for 'losing money'!

How about your money for starters!

Hell, I might lose all or at least 50% of what you give me to invest and I would have told you I still hold a 'long term view' for your money in those investments!
:biggrin:

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
With HDB prices at historical high and the world economic outlook still uncertain, history will repeat itself again and again.

Many who bought properties at the peak never even consider what would happen if their luck runs out-eg increase in interest rates, drop in prices, retrenchment, divorce, illness ect2.

The low level of insurance coverage is symptomatic-after paying hefty amounts for their housing and car loan installments, most have nothing left for personal/life insurance.

diversifyx2

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always wait 3 to 4 mths of owing before making the payment plus $5 penalty for each month and if am happy i would just wait for their lawyer's letter.

I am just telling them i can afford to pay whatever penalty they impose but am just happy doing that, bring me to court lah.

allanlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
No money must cow pei cow bu, make a loud noise so reporters from newspapers and tv stations will know and come to report. then all the problems solve lah. why chui tough lang, xiao xiao teo sue, xiao xiao teo kang?

Unfortunately newspapers and tv stations will only report if you are a foreigner.... so can con the gullible singkees into donating their $$$ to you..... singkees can forget about any assistance from them.

You Die Your Business hor ! :(

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why the fuck you think they expanded Changi Prison for?

Cannot pay TC charges? Stop at the courts and straight to jail!

Cannot pay TV licence? Stop at the courts and go straight to jail!

Cannot pay HDB mortgages? Get your flat lelonged by HDB and move to the void decks. Get summoned for vagrancy and cannot pay? Stop at the courts and go straight to jail. Do not collect $200!

If what u say really happens it won't be long when the whole bloody SG population will be staying in there hehe :biggrin:

hankcock

Alfrescian
Loyal
CCB, vote for PAP get this kind of treatment. What is valid excuse? Appoint your wife to run Temasak and lose billons of $ and say lets move on is a valid excuse???? Pay your dogs and youself millions of $ and f the citizens is valid excuse? WAKE UP!!!!