• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Today: Is there a need for by-election in Singapore?

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think if there is a by-election and assuming the PAP lost, then:

(a) the psychological strength of the GRC concept would be greatly lessened. It had proven very effective in keeping the opposition out;

(b) the opposition would have gained prominence in the eyes and minds of the two most significant groups today: the newly-minted migrants and the youths. The turning points in the General Election may well hinge on how these two groups view the competing parties;

(c) it will lend encouragement to the opposition and possibly lead to greater unity amongst them....conversely it may discourage some of the PAP incumbants who are being encouraged to stand for election with them

(d) the criteria for ministerial appointment is a win in the election...are there ministers in that GRC.....does it mean they have to resign from their posts too?

(e) it may change the mindscape of the entire electoral process...the voters may see that having more opposition in parliament is not as bad as painted​

Thus whilst the outward discussion centres on the 'need' for a by-election, the inward discussion probably centres on the 'what-if' implications of losing the by-election.

This begs the question: will the PAP lose?

I do not know.

I do know however that another $8M lottery draw on the outcome will be appreciated.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
For completeness, let us consider the case where there is a by-election and the PAP wins.

Then:

(a) PAP has proven once again that they are the de facto and endorsed political party in Singapore

(b) That the Opposition does not enjoy the sort of wide ranging support they thought they have

(c) The GRC concept is indeed iron-clad

(d) Is there a differential in votes? If so, then the learnings can be brought forward into the General Election

(e) No one can ever say that the PAP has no luck in by-elections going forward. In a situation where there is nothing at stake, people still vote voluntarily for the PAP. Which is a very strong endorsement of the current party leaders.​

In conclusion, whatever the results of the by-election, singaporeans gain.

Singaporeans gain because of the entertainment, public holiday and the $8M lottery draw.

wizard

Alfrescian
Loyal
By election- yes or no

If PAP is just at the right time to squeeze in a new MP- scholar just finish contract with any of the garment agency - YES by election and walk over

If there is a chance of oppositon sqeezing in - NO by election

If JBJ is waiting for the game to start - NO NO NO by election

I am not highly educated nor super intelligent. But whatever the debate on policy all fall within my expectation.

" VOTE for opposition and convince 2 others to do likewise "