• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

To all Potential Migrants, What do you think of this?

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
God i remember when i lived in perth in 2000 housing was not an issue as it was affordable and it seemed more laid back and a cool place to hang out if you had some money you had had it made in perth then. No one cared about money that much people seemed happier too.

Now go there and it like I have landed in London and everything is a freaking ripp-off and gone is the Australian laid back style and charisma of Australia. its now just another rat race life there. No thank you.

Who wants to live that life? Not me. I am so glad I left cause now here in America its alot like Australia in 2000. A golden place for those wishing for a better life like Australia 2000. Now Australia is like going to London.

And today Australia is just a shithole.

Hee Hee Hee

AhSo1

Alfrescian
Loyal
God i remember when i lived in perth in 2000 housing was not an issue as it was affordable and it seemed more laid back and a cool place to hang out if you had some money you had had it made in perth then. No one cared about money that much people seemed happier too.

Now go there and it like I have landed in London and everything is a freaking ripp-off and gone is the Australian laid back style and charisma of Australia. its now just another rat race life there. No thank you.

Who wants to live that life? Not me. I am so glad I left cause now here in America its alot like Australia in 2000. A golden place for those wishing for a better life like Australia 2000. Now Australia is like going to London.

What you say has merit. Recently I was having a whiskey soda at the SCC with some old friends. Many have in times past lamented the quality of life in Singapore and have the "grass is greener" mentality. Many have sworn life is indeed better elsewhere and virtually all have a relative who has migrated to NZ or Australia. This conversation was especially interesting as one friend has retired and has declared Australia unfit for retirement. His opinion on the matter was that even if a Singaporean were to say take One million S$ to Australia and pursue retirement there not only is this figure insufficient ;it would result in being delegated as a middle class immigrant.

To explain: One Million S$ is now worth approx AUD$ 700K. With this amount your options are limited to purchase that "big landed property" all Singaporeans covet. If you find one then what? According to this friend you need at least AUD$50-70,000 depending on your lifestyle there to live a quality life comparable to Singapore, so an additional One million S$ would be required to live there comfortably for ten years. Total : 2 Million S$. Its a figure that would make anyone reconsider such a possibility.

What is remarkable was this same conversation several years ago focused on how a Singaporean could take One Million S$ and live the good life playing Golf, free from government intervention, LKY, etc. Another interesting thing to note was these days I am hearing less complaints about life in Singapore as we all consider the alternatives. I think Singapore has changed as it becomes more cosmopolitan.

I have concluded that as far as Australia is concerned the grass is not greener for someone like myself who has assets but not the energy or desire to work hard and pay the high costs associated with a dynamic economic environment. Its a zero sum game.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
One Million S$ is now worth approx AUD$ 700K. With this amount your options are limited to purchase that "big landed property" all Singaporeans covet.

Hmmm.. This means I can convert AUD 1mil into SGD 1.3mil !! Yahhhooo !!! Please email me the Reinstatement form.. Get ready the RED CARPET.. I am heading HOME soon !! keke..

Please keep me informed of the latest 'LAW'.. we dont wana be apprehended under the iron fist / enclosed environment.. hahahaha

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal
The world has changed as has Australia. The Singapore government is no longer concerned with Singaporeans "quitting" to Australia any longer for many of the reasons mentioned on this forum.

One would hope the annoying ex-Singaporeans on this forum who are yonder would find another forum to exchange thier infantile banter while those wishing to actually migrate and get something out of the process can seek valuable information. This is an emigration section not a "I have left and miss Singapore so much I have nothing better to do than come here and sprout nonsense about my sad, meaningless life in Australia section"

Quid pro quo.

Like that leh all want to quit but now cannot afford to go there one

Last time cheap now no more so how?

ManBearPig62

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have concluded that as far as Australia is concerned the grass is not greener for someone like myself who has assets but not the energy or desire to work hard and pay the high costs associated with a dynamic economic environment. Its a zero sum game.

So where are you considering? New Zealand is quieter and the currency rate is more favorable.

Personally I wouldn't rule out an Asian country...

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
So where are you considering? New Zealand is quieter and the currency rate is more favorable.

Place your bets on RMB.. they'll have at least another 20yrs of boom.. I cant guarantee for South East Asia.. unless they tap on the China/India flow..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I am just wondering what is happening to the Singapore dollar?
The interest rates there is so low for many years now.
And the inflation is higher.
Then you have hot money flowing in to speculate on properties and stocks.

The per capita income for Singaporeans are much higher than Australia.

Cannot afford retirement in Australia. Are Singaporeans getting poorer because the govt manage the currency exchange rate?

In Australia, the freely floating AUD$ exchange is well-loved by Americans ever since their interest rate is zero (or negative in real term)

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal
What you say has merit. Recently I was having a whiskey soda at the SCC with some old friends. Many have in times past lamented the quality of life in Singapore and have the "grass is greener" mentality. Many have sworn life is indeed better elsewhere and virtually all have a relative who has migrated to NZ or Australia. This conversation was especially interesting as one friend has retired and has declared Australia unfit for retirement. His opinion on the matter was that even if a Singaporean were to say take One million S$ to Australia and pursue retirement there not only is this figure insufficient ;it would result in being delegated as a middle class immigrant.

To explain: One Million S$ is now worth approx AUD$ 700K. With this amount your options are limited to purchase that "big landed property" all Singaporeans covet. If you find one then what? According to this friend you need at least AUD$50-70,000 depending on your lifestyle there to live a quality life comparable to Singapore, so an additional One million S$ would be required to live there comfortably for ten years. Total : 2 Million S$. Its a figure that would make anyone reconsider such a possibility.

What is remarkable was this same conversation several years ago focused on how a Singaporean could take One Million S$ and live the good life playing Golf, free from government intervention, LKY, etc. Another interesting thing to note was these days I am hearing less complaints about life in Singapore as we all consider the alternatives. I think Singapore has changed as it becomes more cosmopolitan.

Thank you. I cant imagine 2,000,000 SGD not being enough to retire with in Australia.

If you bought 2,000,000 here SGD, I would put you in a mansion with a Ferrari and five cars, and you would have a dream retirement with more than enough to live on for the rest of your days. We have cheap cost of labor compared to Australia too so not only are consumables dirt cheap so are the luxuries.

I

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you. I cant imagine 2,000,000 SGD not being enough to retire with in Australia.

If you bought 2,000,000 here SGD, I would put you in a mansion with a Ferrari and five cars, and you would have a dream retirement with more than enough to live on for the rest of your days. We have cheap cost of labor compared to Australia too so not only are consumables dirt cheap so are the luxuries.

I

So long as the person is in USA for retirement, it is definitely better.
With that kind of wages in America, I think I would rather go on welfare and pension in USA.
What do you think.
I should retire in USA instead, free public healthcare for elderly. Pensions from both USA and Australia.:biggrin:

I just need a cheap Hyundai Grandeur. Americans love Korean cars these days. It will not hurt is the car is stolen and crash in a police chase.

londoncabby

Alfrescian
Loyal

I

S$ 2,000,000 is not enough to retire if you plan to live 30 years after retirement in Australia, maybe need S$ 5,000,000. All those Australia elderly have Super to cope with high cost of living and increasing cost so you competing with these elderly. Better go to some place like Canada or USA where the money last longer and there are no competition from new generation of super fund elderly.

Aussie Prick

Alfrescian
Loyal
S$ 2,000,000 is not enough to retire if you plan to live 30 years after retirement in Australia, maybe need S$ 5,000,000. All those Australia elderly have Super to cope with high cost of living and increasing cost so you competing with these elderly. Better go to some place like Canada or USA where the money last longer and there are no competition from new generation of super fund elderly.

2 million not enough in Australia?????!!!!!!

Hee Hee