• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

TKPS - MOE clarifies that TKPS team was on simpler route

greenies

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone who familiar with the mountain clarify that simple route?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moe-clarifies-that-tkps/1909298.html

MOE clarifies that TKPS team was on simpler route

SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Education (MOE) clarified on Wednesday (Jun 10) that the Tanjong Katong Primary School (TKPS) team was on a simpler route on Mount Kinabalu when the earthquake struck.

Compared with the regular Via Ferrata route, where the elevation of the starting point is 3,520m, the pupils, teachers and their guides began on a route at an elevation of 3,411m, stated the MOE.

Mountain Torq, which manages the Via Ferrata, added that this was also a shorter route - 281m (indicated in red below) instead of the original route (in green), which is 430m long.

An MOE spokesperson said: “This is a less steep route compared to the full Walk the Torq route.” She confirmed that the TKPS teams have been using the simplified route since 2010.

On Sunday, the MOE, based on its initial interviews with teachers and pupils who survived the trip, said the team were on the well-known Via Ferrata route.

A Via Ferrata is a mountain path comprising a series of rungs, rails and cables on the rock face. Climbers must wear helmets and harnesses to attempt this route and must be at least 10 years old.

The school has been sending teams to Mount Kinabalu for the past seven years, attempting the original route for the first two years, said Mountain Torq marketing director Quek I-Gek.

She said the simplified route was also only for a selected group of trekkers. Referring to the TKPS pupils who had taken the Via Ferrata, Ms Quek added: “They’re the best students we’ve guided. Consistently, they’re better physically and mentally.”

Read the original TODAY report here.

- CNA/hs

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
" She confirmed that the TKPS teams have been using the simplified route since 2010 "

I already said , it's not the walk up the mountain that killed those kids it's the earthquake . And TKPS has been organizing the mountain trips for so many years and nothing happen . Now people want to blame the school for the death of those kids !! As I mention before everyone can walk up that mountain !!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
whichever route, you get fucked anyway when an earthquake strong enough to cause a rockslide or avalanche happens. this post mortem analysis on route selection is pointless in any major natural disaster situation. what if there were days of torrential downpour which caused landslides and heavy streams gushing down the slopes? and you happened to think it was the dry season and not prepared for days of heavy rain? that was exactly what happened to me in my expedition up the mountain trails in central america early this year. it was supposed to be dry, but it turned out to be wet, very wet. and there were pre-teens in the expedition. we all survived and made it home. luckily, no earthquake nor volcanic eruption. phew!

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
whichever route, you get fucked anyway when an earthquake strong enough to cause a rockslide or avalanche happens. this post mortem analysis on route selection is pointless in any major natural disaster situation. what if there were days of torrential downpour which caused landslides and heavy streams gushing down the slopes? and you happened to think it was the dry season and not prepared for days of heavy rain? that was exactly what happened to me in my expedition up the mountain trails in central america early this year. it was supposed to be dry, but it turned out to be wet, very wet. and there were pre-teens in the expedition. we all survived and made it home. luckily, no earthquake nor volcanic eruption. phew!

I agreed with you , but people here seems to think simple route means safer ( as if the rocks can chose where to fall ) :wink: sometimes if you are unlucky simple route can be more dangerous if the rocks falls on the simple route instead of the original route :wink:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It does not really matter, if the route was simple or difficult or even they have sedan chairs bearers bringing them up the mountain. Divine Providence, have removed that protection we have for our people, for the sins the MIW's have committed over the last 50 years, & it is time, they should be blamed for their arrogance....incompetence & show off....

Must blame them & make them work for every cent they are paid...through their blood, sweat & tears..like, we had over the so many decades...it is time....

zookeeper

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: The Ministry of Education (MOE) clarified on Wednesday (Jun 10) that the Tanjong Katong Primary School (TKPS) team was on a simpler route on Mount Kinabalu when the earthquake struck.

Simpler route means cheating.
Example: The simpler route to a uni qualification is degree mill.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MOE: It is not Heng Swee Keat's fault. Stop pestering him.

Simple or difficult route is not the problem. Earthquake is not the problem. The problem is with some scums and dimwits at the MOE letting kids who have barely started puberty climb a high mountain as some leadership course/excursion. The people/committee who gave the green light to this must be dealt with very harshly.

Do you get it, SPH presstitutes? I know propagandists like to be deliberately obtuse ('teh gong'), but this takes the cake. :rolleyes:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I agreed with you , but people here seems to think simple route means safer ( as if the rocks can chose where to fall ) :wink: sometimes if you are unlucky simple route can be more dangerous if the rocks falls on the simple route instead of the original route :wink:

Million dollar ministers should have the foresight to predict earthquakes and instruct the MOE to change to a route which is "rockless".

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Million dollar ministers should have the foresight to predict earthquakes and instruct the MOE to change to a route which is "rockless".

Guruji!...which part of the mountain, is ROCKLESS??....like which part of the ocean, have no water in it?

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I participated in 1988. My account as follows:
At 8:00 a.m. report to the National Park Kundasan office at 5000 ft (by car) for registration and assignment of mountain guides.
Walk up the trail to 11000 ft. by 2 p.m. Stay a night at the lodge.
3 a.m. continue to the peak 13000 ft (with flash light). Only a little part you need to climb with rope handrail. Watch the sunrise and back to the lodge, pack barang2 and return to Park office for certificate collection.
IMO, it was adventurous but not dangerous lah.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can someone who familiar with the mountain clarify that simple route?

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moe-clarifies-that-tkps/1909298.html

MOE clarifies that TKPS team was on simpler route

Compared with the regular Via Ferrata route, where the elevation of the starting point is 3,520m, the pupils, teachers and their guides began on a route at an elevation of 3,411m, stated the MOE.

Mountain Torq, which manages the Via Ferrata, added that this was also a shorter route - 281m (indicated in red below) instead of the original route (in green), which is 430m long.

An MOE spokesperson said: “This is a less steep route compared to the full Walk the Torq route.” She confirmed that the TKPS teams have been using the simplified route since 2010.

On Sunday, the MOE, based on its initial interviews with teachers and pupils who survived the trip, said the team were on the well-known Via Ferrata route.

A Via Ferrata is a mountain path comprising a series of rungs, rails and cables on the rock face. Climbers must wear helmets and harnesses to attempt this route and must be at least 10 years old.

The school has been sending teams to Mount Kinabalu for the past seven years, attempting the original route for the first two years, said Mountain Torq marketing director Quek I-Gek.

She said the simplified route was also only for a selected group of trekkers. Referring to the TKPS pupils who had taken the Via Ferrata, Ms Quek added: “They’re the best students we’ve guided. Consistently, they’re better physically and mentally.”

Read the original TODAY report here.

- CNA/hs

Whatever. Responsible parents should not have given consent for their children to risk their lives. Bad parents.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MOE: It is not Heng Swee Keat's fault. Stop pestering him.

Simple or difficult route is not the problem. Earthquake is not the problem. The problem is with some scums and dimwits at the MOE letting kids who have barely started puberty climb a high mountain as some leadership course/excursion. The people/committee who gave the green light to this must be dealt with very harshly.

Do you get it, SPH presstitutes? I know propagandists like to be deliberately obtuse ('teh gong'), but this takes the cake. :rolleyes:

I am surprised that MOE cant even get this basic information right. Why this confusion abt which route the students took? MOE cock-up?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Simpler route means cheating.
Example: The simpler route to a uni qualification is degree mill.

Simple, MOE just construct a simulated Mt....whatever climbing experience in Singapore & call it the "OMEGE CHALLENGE"..safest, bestest, cheapest....no need to travel to Sabah etc..just DO IT here, even 10 year old can climb. No rocks, cold weather, earthquakes etc....only maybe, bruise elbows, & knees, sprains, broken bones & mild concussion....

The best part, can charge the same cost as in going to Kota Kinabalu etc, with subsidy....:biggrin:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
when shit happen...ebery body point finger...moe sway lah...but no pity for em...moe or school...are full of cock sucker and back stabber...and most likely 60%...can't wait to see em die n rot...:biggrin:

sirus

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Einstein-Quotes.jpg

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
100% agree with you. Mother Nature strikes when it is least unexpected. No one could have predicted the disaster! Whether they ascend via the simpler route or the harder route, all thoroughly exposed and became sitting targets for the boulders and rocks that rained on them.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yeah, you are right.. What's the whole point of going to Mount KK without reaching the summit?

I have climbed Bukit Timah Hill many times, even climbed Penang Hill & Bukit Brinchang ( by van..heh heh)....I have reached the summit...not to mention Peng Kang Hill, Pasar Labar....