• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

This is what happened when you place your monies in Jiuhoo Fixed Deposit

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

RM10,000 in fixed deposit vanished from retiree’s account in Ipoh​

By MANJIT KAUR
  • NATION
  • Thursday, 10 Nov 2022
    4:30 PM MYT

user posted image

IPOH: A retiree is in a dilemma after being told by bank officials that there was no money left in his joint fixed deposit account when he went to do a renewal.

Mok Soon Sang, 80, a retired school principal said every three months, he would go to the bank located at Ipoh Garden to renew his account.

He had put in RM10,000 in the fixed deposit account that he jointly opened with his wife in April last year.

“The bank gives a A4 size paper as the deposit certificate without the name of the holder on it, and each time I renew the account, I will make sure they stamp and sign the date on the paper.

“When I went to the bank on Oct 14 as usual to renew the account, I was shocked when told that the renewal could not be carried out, as there was no money available.

“Neither did I nor my wife made any withdrawals, and if anyone of us did so, the bank could have furnished us with details, but that did not happen,” he told a press conference organised by Perak MCA Public Service and Complaints Bureau chief Low Guo Nan on Thursday (Nov 10).

Mok said he wrote a letter on Oct 20 to the bank, and after a week, the manager told him that the bank’s system was working fine, and that the missing money was no fault of theirs.

He said the manager told him to lodge a police report, and he (manager) even denied that the dates written on the renewal certificate were by his staff.

“Then I told him that meant the stamp on the paper was also not by the bank, to which he had no answer, and remained silent.

“I am a retired man, RM10,000 is not much for others, but that amount is a lot for me. This is part of my lifelong savings.

“I did lodge a police report on Nov 7 after the bank personnel washed their hands over the matter.

“Also all the money I have with the bank in my savings account, I have made withdrawals and put into another bank because I no longer have faith in this bank,” he said.

Mok said interests from the fixed deposit would usually go into his savings account, and July was the last time he received the interests.

Low, who is also Ipoh Barat MCA coordinator, said he would be writing to Bank Negara, and sending them all the necessary documents.

“Such a situation is a very scary one especially for senior citizens who trust a bank and put their savings for safe keeping.

“Instead the bank refuses to find out what happened to Mok’s money, and just gives a simple answer that their system had no error,” he said, adding that Bank Negara should require all banks to have a standardised fixed deposit certificate.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
TAGS / KEYWORDS:
Fixed Deposit , Bank , Ipoh Garden , Low Guo Nan , Retiree

How useful is this article to you?
100% of our readers find this article useful

Found a mistake in this article?
Report it to us.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...eposit-vanished-from-retirees-account-in-ipoh