• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thirty books that influenced the world

jw5

Loyal
1664630268715.png

According to experts spread across 35 different countries, these are the top 30 books that have shaped the world, either for their beautiful stories of love, tragedy, and war, or for their satirical humor, social commentary, and timeless lessons that have changed our views on life over time. They were ranked by BBC Culture according to votes from 108 experts. The results may surprise you!

jw5

Loyal
1664633403632.png

30. 'Candide,' Voltaire (1759) - The satirical novel is generally considered the French Enlightenment philosopher's greatest work. It follows a young man called Candide's disillusionment with life as he witnesses its suffering and hardships.

jw5

Loyal
1664634532828.png

29. 'Aesop's Fables,' Aesop (late to mid-6th century BCE) - Aesop's fables come from oral stories that were collected over many centuries. The most famous of these include the tales of ‘The Tortoise and the Hare,’ ‘The Boy Who Cried Wolf,’ and ‘The North Wind and the Sun.’

jw5

Loyal
1664635404457.png

28. 'Wide Sargasso Sea,' Jean Rhys (1966) - Rhys was a Dominican-born British writer whose novel was written as a prequel to Brontë's ‘Jane Eyre.’ The story is about the life of Rochester's first wife “Bertha,” who grew up in Jamaica and whose original name was Antoinette Cosway, before she went mad.

jw5

Loyal
1664714604855.png

27. 'To Kill a Mockingbird,' Harper Lee (1960) - Told from the viewpoint of a young girl Jean Louise Finch, Lee's novel deals with themes of racial tension and r a p e. The book won the Pulitzer prize and is widely taught in schools across the US.

jw5

Loyal
1664718642603.png

26. 'War and Peace,' Leo Tolstoy (1865-1867) - The effect of the French invasion of Russia is told through in this work about the lives of five aristocratic Russian families. Though there is no main hero or heroine of Tolstoy’s book, the open-hearted Natasha, who falls in love multiple times, stands out as a central character.

jw5

Loyal
1664721172529.png

25. 'Water Margin,' attributed to Shi Nai'an (1589) - In Chinese literature, this is considered one of the Four Great Classical Novels. It is the fictional retelling of the gathering of 108 outlaws in the hills, who are there to escape harsh feudalist realities during the Song dynasty.

jw5

Loyal
1664722267814.png

24. 'Pride and Prejudice,' Jane Austen (1813) - The lives of the five Bennet sisters are immortalized by Austen, who tells their triumphs and failures in the quest for love with a satirical poke at the strict rules of Georgian society. The romance of brooding Mr. Darcy and lively Elizabeth Bennet has inspired love stories around the world, from Bollywood's ‘Bride and Prejudice’ (2004) to ‘Bridget Jones's Diary.’

jw5

Loyal
1664804896612.png

23. 'Crime and Punishment,' Fyodor Dostoevsky (1866) -

Dostoevsky’s novel tells the story of a poor student living in Saint Petersburg who is compelled to murder an old woman, as he believes this will solve his financial troubles. The story portrays a psychological exploration of sin, guilt, and absolution.

jw5

Loyal
1664811355625.png

22. 'Journey to the West,' Wu Cheng'en (circa 1592) - This book chronicles the 16-year pilgrimage of Chinese monk Hsüan-tsang (also spelt Xuanzang) to Central Asia and India in search of sacred Buddhist scriptures. He is accompanied by animals in the trials and tribulations he experiences on his journey.

hollowman

Alfrescian
Loyal

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Knn
Upcoming non-fiction.
::

1). Rags to Richest Trillionaire
Mr. @glockman

2). Rise of @JohnTan
from Community helper to Deputy P.M.

3). The disgraceful fall of an accountant to a cheap cheap pariah whore.
no.3 -- a must read for
@Cottonmouth
@sweetiepie
Unker @hollowman
No.1 and 3 --must read for @strawberry.
You Cantonese funchoi aka @Semaj2357 when are you going to keep to your words to ignore me? Of course can never trust you Cantonese son of whore sucking indian cock and nipples to harm me to keep to your words. And don’t bother to tell lies say that my reply is ignored because you self busted it by replying to my post on you despicable hypocrite piece of shit talking about being Buddha while insulting woman a whore. Pui!

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
LOL actually I'm more keen to read 1 and 2.
3 I can even read from backwards of all the disgraceful events.
You another despicable evil liar criminal bully Cantonese piece of shit can sure tell dirty stories of me based on nothing but your Ccb Cantonese scammer prostitute descendant mouth that dare not swear if I am a virgin you die a violent death. Pui!