• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thinking to be a taxi driver - serious thread

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ya, lots of stories...lawyers, doctors and bankers...are my main targets, i can learn from their knowledge. nowadays, angmos also no tip, their economy not doing well. worst are nihon and indon, 5cent change, they also want...:eek:

ok so the main point of your advice is on the passengers and how interesting they can be instead of more technical aspects of the job. Speaking on the stingy indon and nihon how do you feel that the perception of them inclduing ang moh is that they are generous but chinese ppl still get potrayed as stingy.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
The test were craps. I got my TDVL in y2k in first attempt. My virgin driving day was a total letdown and demoralized due to road knowledge issue, I had to give up almost 90% of potential clients. After that I did not renew my TDVL and expired long ago. Now I am thinking to sit for retest and not sure how far the GPS can help me. Can a taxi driver rely totally on GPS ?
I am taxi driver. Yes can totally rely on gps. use garmin. If donno the route ask pax. if pax donno, u donno, stop the cab, say 'free'.

SgGoneWrong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ang mohs are the best!
Once i was supposed to collect $8 from an ang moh and he gave me $20 and told me to keep the change :biggrin:

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it will be tiring if you need to depend on your gps all the while.

The test were craps. I got my TDVL in y2k in first attempt. My virgin driving day was a total letdown and demoralized due to road knowledge issue, I had to give up almost 90% of potential clients. After that I did not renew my TDVL and expired long ago. Now I am thinking to sit for retest and not sure how far the GPS can help me. Can a taxi driver rely totally on GPS ?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sometimes, depends...senior pple are generally quite generous. one thing if you want to know how economy is faring, you can judge from the fares you picked up.

ok so the main point of your advice is on the passengers and how interesting they can be instead of more technical aspects of the job. Speaking on the stingy indon and nihon how do you feel that the perception of them inclduing ang moh is that they are generous but chinese ppl still get potrayed as stingy.

Last edited:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am taxi driver. Yes can totally rely on gps. use garmin. If donno the route ask pax. if pax donno, u donno, stop the cab, say 'free'.

Ok now the most important question come - can garmin recognize any names eg. road name, building name, etc. I think most people will give either road name and building name, others like postal code are crap.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
use google map lah...

Ok now the most important question come - can garmin recognize any names eg. road name, building name, etc. I think most people will give either road name and building name, others like postal code are crap.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
use google map lah...
Will google map do this ?

gps-says-turn-left-now.jpg

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
All can. Postal code is the best. It takes.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's fun to be a taxi driver.......can install hidden cameras to zoom onto hidden parts and tape lover's conversations and office espionage of deals and how PAP screw up the lives of many people.....all uncensored.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Eg from point A I might know how to get to point B, but I wont know how to get to point C from point A or B.

true.. true

wherever I want to go I must start from Orchard road say if I were in Punggol and want to go Pasir Ris I must come back to start from Orchard road

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
true.. true

wherever I want to go I must start from Orchard road say if I were in Punggol and want to go Pasir Ris I must come back to start from Orchard road

If one is a topo king, better not be taxi driver.........

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
He could be passionate and excited to be a CEO of a large home-grown MNC.............preferably belong to Temasek Holdings.

Then he should work towards that goal instead of driving a taxi.

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
true.. true

Yes I google some taxi driver blogs and saw 1 of them he only knows how to go anywhere from his home which is Jurong. He said even when he send passenger to tampines he will return empty to starting point of Jurong :*:

chootchiew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Isn't there any activity that you are passionate and excited about? :confused:

Yes I aspire to be in a job that is non desk bound and can tcss with people. Taxi driving meets the requirements. Roads knowledge is the big hurdle which is the primary requirement for this jobs, and very hard to learn due to too many variables roads. Also understand there is nothing easy, but some people maybe are good at certain things but recognizing roads could be a very difficult task for them. I believe after a period these people wil familiarized also but the price to pay could be very big lor !

Last edited: