• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thinking of getting E bikes

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I am thinking of getting e bikes for next summer. The gotrax ebe1 for wife.

Screenshot_20211013-214902_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Features & details​

• ALL New Folding E-Bike by GOTRAX - The electric bike is part of the new high performance series of electric bicycles by GOTRAX. Bigger Motors, longer distance, and folding frame.
  • Up to 27.9 Miles per charge! - Featuring a removable 36v 7.5aH High Capacity Battery the electric bicycle can reach up to 27.9 miles with pedal assist or 15.5 miles using the throttle only.
  • Reach New Speeds - The 350 Watt Motor provides high torque but maintains a low power consumption reaching speeds of up to 15.5mph. The e bike supports riders up to 265 lbs.
  • Compact Folding Design - The electric folding bike is commuter friendly and quickly folds down making it easy to store in your trunk, on the bus, or under your desk. Folding Dimension: 28.7*25.6 inch.
  • Control at Your Fingertips - Operate with a twisting hand throttle, brake, and LED display, and horn are all located conveniently on the handlebars. The display lets you know your speed mode and battery life.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
This one for myself

Screenshot_20211013-215111_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Upgrade Your Commute For A Sustainable Ride​

GOTRAX electric bike offers the chance to explore from a whole new perspective.
AROUND THE COUNTRY, bars, restaurants, and other public spaces are closed or have limited service. Public transportation is becoming a more iffy proposition, and cities are closing streets to give pedestrians more room to move around near their homes.
You don't need to be physically fit to ride one. It gets you outside, reduces fossil fuels, reduces congestion, and it's fun. Whether you're tooling around your neighborhood buying wood chips from the hardware store or trying to trim a few miles off the ride for a socially distanced visit, GOTRAX have the best ebike for you.
electric bike

motor

Off-road Power System​

• Motor: 48V 350W high speed brushless gear motors
  • Maximum speed: 20mph
  • Derailleur: shimano 7-speed Gears
  • Frame: Aluminum alloy 6061
  • Fork: High strength steel fork

removable battery

Removable Hi Capacity Battery​

• Rims: Aluminum rims
  • Load capacity: 265 lbs
  • Removable Lithium-ion Battery: 48V 10Ah
  • Charging time: 5-6hours
  • Riding distance: Pedal assist mode (Up to 50 miles), throttle mode (Up to 25 miles)

LCD display

Phone Holder​

• Display: LCD 5-level display
  • Brake: Front and rear disc brakes
  • Horn: Button control electric horn
  • Front light: LED font light and rear reflector
  • Phone holder: Phone holder with a USB port

lockable suspension

Lockable Suspension​

High strength front suspension is lockable. You can relax both of your hands from bumpy roads and easily achieve better control.

disc brake

Front and Rear Disc Brakes​

Bigger disc pads allow you to stop the electric bike within seconds. Durable material for long term use.

foldable foot pedal

Foldable Foot Pedal​

Easy to fold and unfold the foot pedals. It is great convenient for you to storage your electric bike indoor.

Features & details​

• Up to 50 Miles per charge! - Featuring a 48v10aH High Capacity Battery the EBE4 can reach up to 50 miles with pedal assist or up to 25 miles using throttle only.
  • Reach New Speeds - The 350 Watt Motor provides high torque but mantains a low power consumption reaching speeds of up to 20mph. The EBE4 supports riders up to 265lbs
  • Off Road Tires - Unlimit your adventure with the EBE4. Conquer anything in your path using the all terrain 20" fat tire.
  • Compact Folding Design - The EBE4 is commuter friendly and quickly folds down making it easy to store in your trunk, on the bus, or under your desk.
  • Control at your Fingertips - Operate with a twisting hand throttle, brake, and digital display all located conveniently on the handlebars. The display lets you know your speed, distance, battery life, and headlight status

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
This winter, I'm going to build up a bike for touring. My life long fantasy has been to go long distance bike touring. So, everything that requires reliance on power that cannot be obtained via a solar panel or dynamo is being struck off my build.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
My uncle think for a cuntry without any leestrictions a ebike comes verlee handy for dailee convenience . Yesterday my uncle saw a abled chio milf around 40s used a motorised wheelchair to overcome the leestriction of a ebike to fetch her kindergarten son or grandson to class and doing marketing KNN my uncle thought she is a leesabled until when she unmounted from the wheelchair to carry the kid wtf KNN

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
This winter, I'm going to build up a bike for touring. My life long fantasy has been to go long distance bike touring. So, everything that requires reliance on power that cannot be obtained via a solar panel or dynamo is being struck off my build.
Build a bike? Wow.

Actually bike no need power also can. Pedal assist for upslopes.

Long distance is how long?

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any advice or comments from bike experts?

@Leongsam @LordElrond @eatshitndie ?

I am also hoping got black friday sales.
I'm not an expert on e-bikes, but as a practicing EE, I'd pay very close attention to the source of the batteries and charge control circuitry. There's great potential to turn your backside into charsiew, or your house to ashes with badly designed or made cells and circuits.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I'm not an expert on e-bikes, but as a practicing EE, I'd pay very close attention to the source of the batteries and charge control circuitry. There's great potential to turn your backside into charsiew, or your house to ashes with badly designed or made cells and circuits.
How to tell?

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Build a bike? Wow.

Actually bike no need power also can. Pedal assist for upslopes.

Long distance is how long?
Long distance = 100's of km if not more. Multi day trips that might turn to multi week trips once the kids and business can fend for themselves. Finally got clearance from the house boss to do it by myself!

Upslope no need assist as long as you have granny gears. Most retail bikes are geared way, way too high for real touring use.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Long distance = 100's of km if not more. Multi day trips that might turn to multi week trips once the kids and business can fend for themselves. Finally got clearance from the house boss to do it by myself!

Upslope no need assist as long as you have granny gears. Most retail bikes are geared way, way too high for real touring use.
Wife and I tried to go on a short bike ride in the mountains. Paved pathway.

Only like 5km+. We ended up getting off bikes quite a lot and pushing. We not fit lah. Lol.

Lucky was quiet nobody. Otherwise paiseh blocking the path for others.

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
How to tell?
Very hard to tell as a consumer. One of my clients spent 9 months qualifying some cells from many China manufacturers for his company's devices. Repeated charge/discharge cycles, capacity tests over time for aging characteristics etc. Most were crap.

Best thing that you can do as a consumer is to pay a bit more to get an e-bike from a reputable US, Canadian, or Euro company. They would have done the homework for you. And, the liability laws mean that they have to take safety seriously.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Very hard to tell as a consumer. One of my clients spent 9 months qualifying some cells from many China manufacturers for his company's devices. Repeated charge/discharge cycles, capacity tests over time for aging characteristics etc. Most were crap.

Best thing that you can do as a consumer is to pay a bit more to get an e-bike from a reputable US, Canadian, or Euro company. They would have done the homework for you. And, the liability laws mean that they have to take safety seriously.
Thanks

https://gotraxcanada.com/?gclid=Cjw...yo7wuTJEq3Jmtp56bIxfzbnLRH0fuc9BoCoWoQAvD_BwE

You think this company Gotrax is reputable enough?

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wife and I tried to go on a short bike ride in the mountains. Paved pathway.

Only like 5km+. We ended up getting off bikes quite a lot and pushing. We not fit lah. Lol.
Not your fault lah. I can guarantee that your bikes lowest gear was still too high. Granny gear for steep inclines would be around 17 to 18 gear inches. That means that for every revolution of your cranks, you only move 17 to 18". This is what you need to climb on a heavily loaded bike.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Not your fault lah. I can guarantee that your bikes lowest gear was still too high. Granny gear for steep inclines would be around 17 to 18 gear inches. That means that for every revolution of your cranks, you only move 17 to 18". This is what you need to climb on a heavily loaded bike.
I just checked how to use gears.....looks like wife and I were doing it wrong! Lol!

So to climb is the smallest gear wheel for front with biggest gear wheel on back right? I think we did just 1:1 ratio. Lol!

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
So to climb is the smallest gear wheel for front with biggest gear wheel on back right? I think we did just 1:1 ratio. Lol!

Yes! Also, mountain bikes tend to have lower gears available, because they're designed to be ridden uphill! You can work out your gear ratio by checking # of front teeth/# back teeth. The numbers will be on the sprockets.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yes! Also, mountain bikes tend to have lower gears available, because they're designed to be ridden uphill! You can work out your gear ratio by checking # of front teeth/# back teeth. The numbers will be on the sprockets.
Ok maybe we go to the park this weekend and try again. Perhaps no need to buy e bike after all?

Thanks!

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I am thinking of getting e bikes for next summer. The gotrax ebe1 for wife.

View attachment 124996

Features & details​

• ALL New Folding E-Bike by GOTRAX - The electric bike is part of the new high performance series of electric bicycles by GOTRAX. Bigger Motors, longer distance, and folding frame.
  • Up to 27.9 Miles per charge! - Featuring a removable 36v 7.5aH High Capacity Battery the electric bicycle can reach up to 27.9 miles with pedal assist or 15.5 miles using the throttle only.
  • Reach New Speeds - The 350 Watt Motor provides high torque but maintains a low power consumption reaching speeds of up to 15.5mph. The e bike supports riders up to 265 lbs.
  • Compact Folding Design - The electric folding bike is commuter friendly and quickly folds down making it easy to store in your trunk, on the bus, or under your desk. Folding Dimension: 28.7*25.6 inch.
  • Control at Your Fingertips - Operate with a twisting hand throttle, brake, and LED display, and horn are all located conveniently on the handlebars. The display lets you know your speed mode and battery life.

I have no firsthand experience with ebikes so I cannot provide any useful inputs.

A friend of mine got himself a Specialized ebike but it has not been all that reliable. The model he got has since been discontinued so I'm not sure whether the newer models are any better.

I'll have to ask around.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod