• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Thick smoke in MRT caused passenger evac yesterday.. Fares must increase liao!

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Commuters evacuate from train due to smoke in cabin

A Stomp contributor described the smoke as 'thick' and smelling like 'burnt plastic'. -AsiaOne

Fri, Nov 25, 2011
AsiaOne

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

Commuters were evacuated from an MRT train yesterday due to thick smoke that wafted through the cabins, citizen-journalism site Stomp reported.

The incident occured at about 1.30pm when the train was at the Pasir MRT station, according to a Stomp reader.

Passengers were asked to evacuate the train when it pulled into the Tampines station, the contributor said.

MRT staff and Singapore Civil Defence officers came in to investigate.

The Stomp contributor described the smoke as 'thick' and smelling like 'burnt plastic'. The smoke also made the passengers 'giddy and uneasy'.

[email protected]

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you all need to know, the air conditioning systems in the coaches are maintained by the MRT maintenance department. They are as old as the coaches when I last went there a few years ago. It is obvious their run-out-date is long overdue. SMRT saving money at commuters' expense?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you all need to know, the air conditioning systems in the coaches are maintained by the MRT maintenance department. They are as old as the coaches when I last went there a few years ago. It is obvious their run-out-date is long overdue. SMRT saving money at commuters' expense?

I knew someone who worked at SMRT who's job was to source for cheap 3rd party products to maintain the trains. Back then SMRT was too cheap to use the more expensive parts provided by the train's manufacures:smile:

That was years ago & I guess commuters are now paying the price for the cheapo mentality that exists:rolleyes:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If burn passenger to dead/some one die then I will laugh at the Ministers and SMRT.

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal

Then I have to correct you the 1st Gen of KHI trains had just done an upgrading and ended last year now only the frame is old the rest of the stuff including the aircon is brand new :smile: From what I can see from the hand rails, chairs and flooring in the photo I strongly think its their 2nd Gen trains the Siemens which is over 15yrs old and yet to be upgraded :smile:

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
I knew someone who worked at SMRT who's job was to source for cheap 3rd party products to maintain the trains. Back then SMRT was too cheap to use the more expensive parts provided by the train's manufacures:smile:

That was years ago & I guess commuters are now paying the price for the cheapo mentality that exists:rolleyes:

When I retired from there they were still doing it and even worst. Some of the new parts that we fixed up before they even left the workshop already breakdown :p

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I retired from there they were still doing it and even worst. Some of the new parts that we fixed up before they even left the workshop already breakdown :p

Where the part come from and what is the technician/engineer nationality who fix the part?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's very sad that our world class system is being run by a bunch of no-class greedy penny pinchers. They may be saving $ but obviously it's going to management bonuses & not back into the system.

I also got to know someone who worked with the ticketing system & they were using cobol:eek: That is an old, old language but I guess it must have seemed world class to SMRT :biggrin:

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
Where the part come from and what is the technician/engineer nationality who fix the part?

Those who fix up the parts mostly are sinkies but some are PRs from matlasia and some from India. As for the parts mostly from taiwan, china but saw some from japan and EU ( Italy )

1sickpuppy II

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's very sad that our world class system is being run by a bunch of no-class greedy penny pinchers. They may be saving $ but obviously it's going to management bonuses & not back into the system.

I also got to know someone who worked with the ticketing system & they were using cobol:eek: That is an old, old language but I guess it must have seemed world class to SMRT :biggrin:

U think that is bad I tell you 1 of the system still runs on a 486 but I cannot go further than that as we were not allow to discuss these matters.