• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Chen Show Mao

Possibilities.
In his parliamentary speech on the Budget, NMP Laurence Lien pointed out the difference between our seizing "opportunities" and seeing "possibilities" -- seeing possibilities in Singapore and Singaporeans and what we can achieve together. Mr Lien also mentioned that it was to be his last Budget debate. I think of the many things I have learnt from Mr Lien's parliamentary speeches during his term as NMP, and his articles, and wonder about the possibilities of more Singaporeans coming forward to share their ideas and do what they can, for Singapore.

New mindset needed to nurture entrepreneurship (ST)
[url]www.nvpc.org.sg

NVPC leads and catalyses transformations in volunteerism and philanthropy to build compassionate and engaged communities in Singapore.

[/URL]

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In deciding on its expenditure and choosing cutting edge defence technology, does MINDEF consider that if we leap too far ahead, there is a risk of spurring an arms race, as countries in our region may feel under pressure to keep up with us? This could lead to even greater spending in the future, which may be unsustainable.

Prudence in defence spending (COS/MINDEF) | geraldgiam.sg
geraldgiam.sg

In deciding on its expenditure and choosing cutting edge defence technology, does MINDEF consider that if we leap too far ahead, there is a risk of spurring an

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/workersparty"]The Workers' Party

[/URL]"In the latest breakdown of economically inactive persons in Labour Force Survey 2013, there were 8,600 discouraged workers. These are persons who are not actively looking for a job because they believe their job search will not yield results.

There are others who want to work but cannot because of family responsibilities like childcare, care-giving to family and relatives, and housework. Almost half of the over 300,000 economically inactive women cited these reasons.

There were also over 85,000 time-related underemployed residents. These are part-timers who were willing and available to work additional hours but are unable to find better work.

Finally, there are underemployed workers who are doing work that they are overqualified for. Many older PMEs (professionals, managers and executives) are in this group." - NCMP Gerald Giam

COS 2014 Debate: MOM – Raising labour force participation rate (NCMP Gerald Giam)
wp.sg

By Non-Constituency MP, Gerald Giam [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March 2014] In...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"A tower crane operator came to my MPS recently and shared his side of the story. He said many companies in the construction sector are still hiring more foreign crane operators not less. These foreign workers are cheaper and can work longer hours. As a result, salaries came down and many of his operator friends are unable to secure full time work. Some of his friends work only 2 times a week. He handed me a letter with the names of 46 tower crane operators pleading for help.

Last night, I met a fellow diner at the hawker centre near my house and I found out he is also a crane operator. He added that foreign construction companies tend to hire their own people to operate cranes. He also felt that the number of foreign crane operators has not come down despite the move to train more local crane operators.

Madam, the reliance on foreign crane operators will never come down despite the call to train and hire more Singaporeans. This is because BCA has launched a temporary initiative to relax the recruitment of foreign crane operators at the same time when it launched an initiative to attract more Singaporeans to join the trade. Under the relaxed ruling, for every 1 new local crane operator hired and trained, a company can now recruit up to 4 new foreign crane operators.

This will probably explain why people are seeing more foreign crane operators and not less. Putting the 2 initiatives side by side, the percentage of Singaporean crane operators in the construction sector will come down significantly over time. So the call to reduce reliance on foreign crane operators will not happen any time soon. I would like to ask the Minister when we can see an improvement in this sector." - MP PNG ENG HUAT

COS 2014 Debate: MOM – Crane Operators (MP Png Eng Huat)
wp.sg

By MP for Hougang SMC, Png Eng Huat [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March 2014] Madam, in May 2013, the National Development Minister made a call for

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Workers' Party

"I have come across cases in Punggol East where there is confusion amongst the immediate relatives of the deceased, uncertain about where their relation’s CPF money has been transferred to. Very often, family members approach the CPF board to understand who the beneficiaries are but are turned away as this is considered confidential information.

This allocation process may not be in line with the member’s wishes and their money may not reach the people whom the member feels need it most. For example if spouse and children are financially self-reliant, the member might have wanted to provide for their elderly parents, disabled or unemployed siblings, grandchildren or even grandparents.

I would like to suggest to the Ministry to send notices to CPF members whenever their marital status changes so as to allow members to make changes to their nominations if they choose to. This will require some additional administration but it can help to eliminate confusion and pain for CPF members and their immediate families." - MP Lee Li Lian (李丽连)

COS 2014 Debate: MOM – CPF Nomination (MP Lee Li Lian)
wp.sg

By MP for Punggol East SMC, Lee Li Lian [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March 2014] CPF proceeds are distributed according...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Workers' Party

"We have talked extensively about the need to institutionalize work-life balance at the workplace. While we have existing policies to encourage employers to implement flexible work, it seems that more needs to be done.

A recent global survey by Randstad this year[1] revealed that only 20% of companies in Singapore intend to hire more people on flexible working arrangements. 55% of employers admit that their organisations efforts to create flexible work options are average or poor.

The main reason for this is, business leaders are not convinced that this will be beneficial to their organisations, particularly in terms of employee productivity. There are countless studies including one by the Ministry of Manpower that debunk this myth and prove in fact that flexible work practices can boost productivity. By creating a better work culture that engages and addresses employees’ needs, companies can retain talent and improve productivity. Flexible work does not just improve employee morale, but ensures that employees are set up to work remotely which reduces service gaps and business continuity." - MP Lee Li Lian (李丽连)

COS 2014 Debate: MOM – Work-Life Balance (MP Lee Li Lian)
wp.sg

By MP for Punggol East SMC, Lee Li Lian [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March 2014] We have talked extensively about the...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"Madam, every year, International Students receive about $12,000 to $75,000 each to study at our Institutions of Higher Learning. In total, the Government dispenses about $210 million in tuition grants per year to these students.

This is not a small sum of money and the only requirement the Government asks of these International Students is to work for a Singapore-based company for a period of 3 years upon their graduation with no other strings attached.

The grant application is so easy that even the sureties required to complete the application need not be Singaporeans nor reside here. And to fulfil the 3-year employment obligation agreement, the foreign student can work full-time or part-time, locally or overseas, give tuition at a tuition centre, and even be self-employed.

If the same student wishes to pursue a full-time undergraduate programme at our local tertiary institutions, he can defer his existing grant obligation, get another subsidy with another 3-year grant obligation, and serve both his obligations concurrently upon getting the undergraduate degree.

After pulling out all the stops for these foreign Students, how many of them took advantage of our generosity and left Singapore without serving a single day of the 3-year grant obligation?

MOE is currently unable to provide a definitive answer to this question. Even among the current group of International Students who had not started work upon graduation and/or who have not sought permission to do so, MOE did not want to reveal the number of defaulters in this group. I understand the ministry is tightening its tracking and enforcement efforts for bond fulfilment and I hope we will have a clear answer one day." - MP Png Eng Huat

COS 2014 Debate: MOE: Tuition Grant (MP Png Eng Huat)
wp.sg

By MP for Hougang SMC, Png Eng Huat [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March 2014] Madam, every year, International Students receive about...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"Madam, I understand that some parents will want a competitive system and for their children enter into what they believe as the best schools. There are however, parents like myself who would rather have our children go through primary and secondary education in the same school, without PSLE. The brand of schools had not mattered to me. Such an integrated system is available in many countries, including those that have fared well in education benchmarks. This choice is not available here.

I urge MOE to study the feasibility to pilot such integrated schools. We can leave out the top schools in the pilot so that this does not become a back-door. We have years of holistic assessments experience and capable educators. We can use these strengths to make such schools as good schools too." - NCMP Yee Jenn Jong

COS 2014 Debate: MOE – Integrated Schools (NCMP Yee Jenn Jong)
wp.sg

By Non-Constituency MP, Yee Jenn Jong [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March 2014] Madam, I have spoken about piloting...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"Madam, there may develop a gap between the number of interns and the availability of meaningful internship places as we increase our tertiary intake. From my experience, I also found differing intensity of engagement by education institutions and by their supervisors with companies.

Internship can be an effort beyond the institutions. It can be at the country level. We can identify technical skills needed in priority sectors and help inject these capabilities into local companies to make them global players. The government can work with larger companies to identify those prepared to commit a minimum number of internship places with real-world projects, and support companies by funding an internship manager. This manager can mentor interns and even guide them while they work part-time from their schools on projects initiated during internship. This will allow companies to assign longer and realistic internship projects and tap on academic supervisors to guide students in research." - NCMP Yee Jenn Jong

COS 2014 Debate: MOE – Tertiary Students Internship (NCMP Yee Jenn Jong)
wp.sg

By Non-Constituency MP, Yee Jenn Jong [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"Sir, last year, NUS announced a 3-month online plus 3-month campus learning programme for incoming undergrads who have completed NS. The programme qualifies for academic credits.

Last month, NTU went one up. Its online courses allow anyone to earn credits and transfer these to NTU if they enroll as an undergraduate later.

MINDEF has initiated a Committee to Strengthen National Service (CSNS). Amongst other things, it is looking at how skills picked up during NS could be recognised in civilian life. An example is the Swiss allowing the transfer of skills or leadership positions in the military into credits in universities.

Online learning is now widely used everywhere. We can marry the ideas started by the universities and what MINDEF is looking at, by having more programmes to engage NSFs in continuous learning" - NCMP Yee Jenn Jong

COS 2014 Debate: MOE – Learning opportunities for NSFs (NCMP Yee Jenn Jong)
wp.sg

By Non-Constituency MP, Yee Jenn Jong [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March...

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Possibilities.
In his parliamentary speech on the Budget, NMP Laurence Lien pointed out the difference between our seizing "opportunities" and seeing "possibilities" -- seeing possibilities in Singapore and Singaporeans and what we can achieve together. Mr Lien also mentioned that it was to be his last Budget debate. I think of the many things I have learnt from Mr Lien's parliamentary speeches during his term as NMP, and his articles, and wonder about the possibilities of more Singaporeans coming forward to share their ideas and do what they can, for Singapore.

you are in parliament, i dun see yu ideas?? another jiak liao bee... waiting for saggestions

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"Madam, the Workers’ Party welcomes the broader review of the education system.

However, the reviews should proceed cautiously. I am concerned with two things related to the broadening of the assessment and admission systems.

One, the use of direct school admission tests and other discretionary admission instruments should not disadvantage students from neighbourhood schools from entering top and special-niche secondary schools.

Two, it is important that the broadening of the assessment system does not result in the dilution of bilingual education. Acquisition of good language skills, both English and mother tongue, are crucial to our humanistic and cultural life. It should be treated as equally important as the academic and technical skills. In particular, mother tongue language education should not be sacrificed." - MP Low Thia Khiang

COS 2014 Debate: MOE – PSLE Review (MP Low Thia Khiang)
wp.sg

By MP for Aljunied GRC, Low Thia Khiang [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 7 March 2014] Madam Chair, Many parents and teachers I have spoken are gettin

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Workers' Party

"I would like to call upon the Ministry to consider and explore the possibility of reintroducing RK as one of the Humanities subjects alongside existing choices such as literature, geography and history. Schools should also be given the discretion to offer RK as a subject, in view of limited resources and the interest among students.

I would also like to call upon the Ministry to encourage our universities to introduce theology alongside existing programs on religion, inter-faith studies and philosophy. This would not only offer a reasoned, responsible and constructive basis for discussion but it would also add diversity to our university landscape. In top universities such as Harvard, Cambridge and Oxford, theology has often provided an added dimension to a student’s academic life." - MP Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap

COS 2014 Debate: MOE – Religious Knowledge (MP Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap)
wp.sg

By MP for Aljunied GRC, Muhamad Faisal Abdul Manap [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 10 March 2014] Religious Knowledge (RK) was

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Workers' Party

"At last year’s COS for MCI, I spoke on how government could bolster the sustainability of our songwriter’s careers. One suggestion I made was that the government could create more air-time to play Singapore compositions in government buildings, so that our Singapore songwriters can earn royalties through COMPASS or the Composers and Authors Society of Singapore. Minister said then that the government would look into this suggestion.

Since then, I understand that there has been some follow up on this e.g. some government-related bodies have approached COMPASS for licences to broadcast music at transport hubs and the airport with a certain percentage dedicated to airing local works. On our part, the Aljunied-Hougang-Punggol East Town Council also obtained some licences to showcase Singapore compositions at Hougang Central Hub.

It would be good to know what further steps the government has taken to support Singaporean songwriters in having sustainable careers." - MP Sylvia Lim

COS 2014 Debate: MCI – Promoting Singapore Music (MP Sylvia Lim)
wp.sg

By MP for Aljunied GRC, Sylvia Lim [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 10 March 2014] At last year’s COS for MCI, I spoke on how...

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"While most Singaporeans know that their flats are on a limited lease, many assume that HDB will not let their assets become worth nothing, or that their flats will eventually go through an “en bloc” before their leases expire.

The Minister told me in a reply to my PQ in January that the selection of sites and the pace of SERS (the Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme) will depend on factors such as their redevelopment potential, and the availability of replacement sites for rehousing, and other resources.

Can the Minister confirm whether all old flats will eventually be replaced through SERS before they reach their end of lease? If not, what proportion will not be replaced?

Other than SERS, what are the Government’s plans for HDB flats that approach their end-of-lease? For example, will their leases get topped up, and will the topping up cost be borne by HDB, or the lessees?" - NCMP Gerald Giam

COS 2014 Debate: MND – HDB flats approaching end of lease (NCMP Gerald Giam)
wp.sg

By Non-Constituency MP, Gerald Giam [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 10 March 2014]

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

[/URL]"While most Singaporeans know that their flats are on a limited lease, many assume that HDB will not let their assets become worth nothing, or that their flats will eventually go through an “en bloc” before their leases expire.

The Minister told me in a reply to my PQ in January that the selection of sites and the pace of SERS (the Selective En Bloc Redevelopment Scheme) will depend on factors such as their redevelopment potential, and the availability of replacement sites for rehousing, and other resources.

Can the Minister confirm whether all old flats will eventually be replaced through SERS before they reach their end of lease? If not, what proportion will not be replaced?

Other than SERS, what are the Government’s plans for HDB flats that approach their end-of-lease? For example, will their leases get topped up, and will the topping up cost be borne by HDB, or the lessees?" - NCMP Gerald Giam

COS 2014 Debate: MND – HDB flats approaching end of lease (NCMP Gerald Giam)
wp.sg

By Non-Constituency MP, Gerald Giam [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 10 March 2014]

Gerald Giam's COS speeches make PAP MPs one's look like kindergarten ones.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[/URL]"I note that the spate of good news on progress in dengue treatment and vaccine development rose and peaked with the outbreak in the latter half of 2013. Perhaps the most hopeful was the discovery in August of a new vaccine strategy by a research consortium supported by Singapore STOP Dengue Translational and Clinical Research Programme. I believe the Ministry’s Environmental Health Institute is involved in the STOP Dengue programme.

The last dengue epidemic in 2005 killed 25 people and the current outbreak has already claimed 6 lives. I note that the STOP Dengue programme received $25 million in funding over 5 years since 2008. Is this level of support satisfactory, given the prevalence of the disease here and its sometimes deadly effects? Will the Government be providing further research support to dengue vaccine development?" - MP Sylvia Lim

COS 2014 Debate: MEWR – Dengue Fever (MP Sylvia Lim)
wp.sg

By MP for Aljunied GRC, Sylvia Lim [Delivered in Committee of Supply on 10 March 2014] I would like to commend NEA officers on their tireless