• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Workers' Party

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Leon Perera[/h]Public Figure

Great food, great company, great Singaporeans.
11885382_515369601954554_6677041300539892747_n.jpg

11903973_515369925287855_2585080410069365185_n.jpg

11889600_515369998621181_7779456865554659662_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Daniel Goh 吴佩松[/h]Public Figure

Very nice, I like "人民的小事,是我们的大事". At his age, I didn't have half his political commitment, people experience and social conscience. "Achievements" and "looks" don't matter, Bernard, your good heart does, and you are as street-smart as street-smart goes.

Follow him here: https://www.facebook.com/chenjiaxibernard

工人党新人陈家喜:“先把灯泡换好再说吧”
“先把灯泡换好再说吧。”没有太宏大的目标,没有遥不可及的承诺,拥有英国牛津大学世界与帝国历史硕士学位的工人党新人陈家喜(29岁)接受晚报专访,但所谈及的是一般居民身边的小事。他说:“我觉得就是一步一步来,先做可以做的事情,再做...
zpolitics.zaobao.com.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Daniel Goh 吴佩松

Public Figure

Here's the text to the special commemorative stamp gifted to residents at the WP Grassroots Committee's SG50 National Day dinner. I had to close my eyes to root out the television images that come with national songs to get to my own memories of textured life in the HDB estates in order to write it. I hope it strikes a chord!

"Singapore is our home, our own for 50 years. We love our hawker centres and coffeeshops, our markets and the occasional pasar malam. We treasure our schools, churches, mosques and temples, the many places that make our life meaningful.

We cherish our old folks strolling in the parks, the friends we made at the playgrounds, our neighbours chatting along the corridors, fellow Singaporeans with whom we mourn and celebrate at our void decks.

Thank you for commemorating this special year with us. May we continue to share many more years walking together to build our beloved nation, our home."

11953271_963383757057701_6310309094136225969_n.jpg

11892111_963385607057516_1405731122937397888_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=1]Parliament dissolved; Singaporeans to vote in General Election on Sep 11[/h] [h=2]Nomination Day is on Sep 1 which will kick off a period of campaigning.[/h]
  • POSTED: 25 Aug 2015 15:02
  • UPDATED: 25 Aug 2015 17:28

file-photo-of-singapore.jpg

File photo of Parliament House. (Photo: Calvin Oh)

SINGAPORE: Singaporeans will go to the ballot box onSep 11 to elect 89 Members of Parliament in 29 constituencies.
Polling Day was announced after President Tony Tan Keng Yam, on the advice of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, dissolved Singapore's 12th Parliament on Tuesday (Aug 25).

Acting on the Prime Minister’s advice, the President also issued a Writ of Election. The Writ specifies that Nomination Day is on Sep 1.

"I call this General Election to seek your mandate to take Singapore beyond SG50 into its next half century," wrote Prime Minister Lee on Facebook, shortly after the Writ was issued.

"You will be deciding who will govern Singapore for the next 5 years. More than that, you will be choosing the team to work with you for the next 15-20 years, and setting the direction for Singapore for the next 50 years."

11915109_962924073770299_3419521246289911432_n.jpg

Sep 11 (Friday) will be a public holiday and Sep 10 will be Cooling-off Day, the Elections Department said in a press release.

The Returning Officer for the General Election is Mr Ng Wai Choong, the Chief Executive of the Energy Market Authority.

Nomination papers can be collected from the Singapore Elections Department (ELD) on Prinsep Link. Soft copies of the nomination paper can be downloaded from the ELD website.

The ELD said the deposit per candidate is S$14,500, or 8 per cent of the total allowances payable to a Member of Parliament in the preceding calendar year and rounded to the nearest $500.

Nine schools have been listed as nomination centres.

map-of-nomination-centres-data.jpg

The recently-issued report of the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee carved up Singapore’s political landscape into a total of 89 seats in 29 constituencies - comprising 13 Single Member Constituencies (SMCs) and 16 Group Representation Constituencies (GRCs). This is up from the 87 seats in 27 constituencies in the previous Parliament.

electoral-boundaries-map-data.jpg

The People’s Action Party (PAP), which is contesting all 89 seats, has in recent weeks been introducing its candidates and where they will be contesting – barring any last minute changes. This is a change from previous elections, when voters only found out who was contesting in their constituency on Nomination Day.

Explaining the change, PAP Organising Secretary Dr Ng Eng Hen, had said earlier: “We believe that this is better politics. It’s better to tell the residents up front who is standing in their constituency so they can examine on record, what candidates have done, can do and they can make intelligent choices after examining whoever the political parties who are standing, who can better serve them.”

It is widely expected that the Opposition, which currently comprises nine active parties, will contest all 89 seats – the first time that this has happened since 1963.

Earlier this month, the Opposition parties had two meetings among themselves to carve up the 29 constituencies to avoid multi-cornered fights. This, however, does not prevent independent candidates or even a team of independents from turning up on Nomination Day. If they were to successfully file their papers, there could still be multi-cornered contests.

opposition-state-of-play-data.jpg

Among the nine Opposition parties, the Workers’ Party (WP) is expected to field the largest slate – contesting 28 seats up from 23 seats at the last General Election in 2011. The WP won 6 seats at the 2011 GE and another seat at a by-election in 2013. The WP is only expected to reveal the full slate of its candidates closer to Nomination Day and where they are contesting on the day itself.
The other Opposition parties – based on their own claims – are expected to contest up to 11 seats each. The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP), National Solidarity Party (NSP) and Reform Party (RP) say they will contest 11 seats each, while Singaporeans First (SingFirst) is expected to contest 10 seats, the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA) 6 seats and the People’s Power Party (PPP) 4 seats.

The Singapore People’s Party (SPP) is expected to contest up to 8 seats, including Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, which they will field a joint team together with the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) under the SPP banner.

- CNA/ly

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)[/h]Politician

Something to light up the day:smile:

Got this email with a painting of me by a young girl, courtesy of her uncle. The posture of me shooting arrows is from an earlier photo I had shared on FB from my archery practice. Hey, I give her an A+ for this!

Here's the email, shared with permission:

"Hi Jenn Jong,
I am a resident of Hougang and my whole family supports your efforts in this coming election.
This is a gift of encouragement to you after Joo Chiat disappeared from the map. We were equally appalled.
This is done by my little niece in school as an arts project and I think she took about 2 weeks to complete it.

Although she got a C and was quite sad for about 2 days because of it, I told her there is nothing wrong with getting a C. She hopes you can see it on Facebook and that makes her happy. Thanks and all the best for the upcoming elections!
Best Regards,"

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠)

"Q: So, do you think you look like Rui En?

Ting Ru: I’m not quite sure I really see the similarity myself! Eventually I hope people can see me for who I am and what I stand for, as well as my efforts to effect some kind of positive change."

Having worked with Ru since 2011, she has certainly made a lot of positive changes in the lives of many residents of Aljunied through her active involvement in Meet-People-Sessions, giving advice in free legal clinics and in the many community events organised by WP. She has also definitely made many positive contributions in our policy work. A great person with intelligence, commitment and a heart for the people.
He Ting Ru

he-ting-ru-02.jpg

[h=1]Mothership.sg exclusive: Cambridge-educated lawyer He Ting Ru didn’t believe she’d one day join the Workers’ Party[/h] August 25, 2015
Which also means she never expected she'd one day talk about her eight cats in an interview about joining the WP.
Belmont Lay

Jeanette Tan

All photos by Lim Weixiang unless otherwise stated.

Ten years ago, if anyone told you the Workers’ Party would one fine day be attracting lawyers, young professionals and even an academic to join their ranks, you would have wondered, “What’s a worker’s party?” and “Is it like a Zouk thing?”.

Now, take a look around you in 2015.

Besides noticing how much things have changed since those days when social media was Friendster and democracy meant one opposition member in parliament, it’s hard to overlook the fact that the Workers’ Party has gotten big enough it is producing its own gravity and sucking in some potentially bright stars.

And here’s one of them: He Ting Ru, 32, a Cambridge-educated lawyer who looks set to contest in this coming general election after being spotted on walkabouts with the party recently.

He Ting Ru added a new photo — with Yee Jenn Jong, JJ (余振忠).Public Figure · 2,121 Likes

· August 22 at 10:40pm ·

Back in Singapore since 2011 after an overseas stint studying and working, she witnessed the General Election that year first-hand and like many others felt a tingle down her spine.
But unlike many others, she decided the time is ripe to get involved with the WP by volunteering with them.

Mothership.sg caught up with He to talk about whether she knows what’s she is getting herself into four years on since GE2011, how she never got to meet Chen Show Mao for the first time after standing around for two hours, and also, the sport kendo, plus, her eight cats.

1. First things first, the most important question: Did you know that people on online forums say you look like Rui En?
Ting Ru: No, actually, but I’m very flattered. However I do believe that as with anyone you meet, judge them based on the strength of character, not on their surface or outward appearance.

2. So, do you think you look like Rui En?
Ting Ru: I’m not quite sure I really see the similarity myself! Eventually I hope people can see me for who I am and what I stand for, as well as my efforts to effect some kind of positive change.
11880460_10152904370871862_765105909_n1.jpg
Photo by Lim Weixiang for Mothership.sg 3. Okay great. For the benefit of our readers who can’t listen to you answer these questions: Why do you lapse into a British-sounding accent?
Ting Ru: I spent almost 10 years in England after my junior college years. I studied in Cambridge for my undergraduate degree. I then moved to London for law school and trained as a lawyer with Clifford Chance. I qualified as an English solicitor and worked with the same firm in London and Frankfurt, Germany before coming home.

4. So you are those really smart kind who went overseas on a scholarship?
Ting Ru: No… I was from Raffles Junior College, and there was the question about whether to apply for ‘S’ papers to qualify for scholarships.

My dad was adamant about me not applying for a scholarship, though, because he said he was able to save up enough for me to study wherever I gained acceptance to.

He strongly believes scholarships should be for people whose parents may not be able to afford to pay for their children to go to top universities even though they gained entrance to these places.

5. With all that time spent there, can you still speak Mandarin?
Ting Ru: I’ve spent the last four years doing Meet-the-People Sessions, so I have to be conversant in Mandarin. I’m comfortable with that and I’m pleased to say that the residents understand me.

6. Now tell us why does it seem like more young people like yourself, be it professionals or captains of industry, are joining the Workers’ Party?

Ting Ru: I can’t speak for all young people, but based on the people I’ve spoken to, they have expressed an interest in what the Workers’ Party is doing.

Some of them are very supportive and a lot of them are interested to listen to what our party has to say and it is not just because they are sympathetic.

In 2011, people actually did sit up and notice Chen Show Mao. It was a point of interest for me that someone who was obviously very successful in his professional career would actually feel that he believed enough in what the WP had to offer and what the future of Singapore should be in order to be able to stand up as a candidate and serve as a MP.

But what I would like to see is people from a diverse range of backgrounds who would listen to what we have to say and support us and work with us.

7. Did you have to explain to your friends and family why you decided to join the WP?

Ting Ru: Of course people are curious but I say to them that, ultimately, I believe each one of us has a role to play and I’m just very fortunate to be able to volunteer and work with the WP to do the work I’ve done in four years.

Some of my professional background has been very helpful, too — I volunteered for a few years in a free legal clinic in a very deprived and dangerous area while I was in London and worked with the residents there, some of whom are refugees. That training made me quite well-equipped.

8. Besides real work, what are the other things you do to spend time?
11800548_713312832107222_2020406790163390184_n.jpg
Source: He Ting Ru’s Facebook page Ting Ru: I enjoy cycling and walking. While I was in university, I discovered team sports and played football as well as rowed in the college women’s team.

I also practise kendo, but I’m still very much a beginner, having only done it for roughly a year.

(Why Kendo and not normal fencing?)
What I found interesting is the philosophy of kendo. A lot of it can be carried into everyday life.

9. How do you see kendo playing a part in the upcoming election?
Ting Ru: One thing I find very important about kendo is the absolute respect you must have for your opponent, so if you look at the kendo rules, you will see that you are not allowed to cheer when you win a fight.

(That sucks.)

Ting Ru: No, listen, let me finish! You have to acknowledge the fact your opponent has spent the same amount of effort and same amount of training work as you have, and you are not allowed to crow over your victory.
And I think this amount of respect is unfortunately lacking in Singapore politics. I do believe, also, that the country as a whole benefits when the public sphere, the political sphere, is a lot more respectful.

We are not here to create trouble or oppose for the sake of it. There’s a lot of common purpose in that respect for the good of Singapore.
11908296_10152904370856862_1350559626_n1.jpg
Photo by Lim Weixiang for Mothership.sg 10. We heard Chen Show Mao made you wait more than two hours the first time you went to meet him. What happened there?

Ting Ru: I came back to Singapore in 2011 just before the general election. What really struck me at that time was that Singaporeans seemed really very, very interested about politics, they were obviously very patriotic and cared deeply about what would happen to Singapore.

I paid attention to the rallies and listened to what the people had to say. When WP won Aljunied GRC, like a lot of Singaporeans, I was very pleased and very glad that there’s been a natural development of our democratic process.

At the same time I realised, they probably needed a lot more resources and help going from one seat to six in parliament, so I thought, hey, why not let’s help out with the WP. I didn’t think of it as a political statement or a career, I just wanted to use my skills to help residents.

So, I wrote in to the WP right after the election and I suppose, as the party at that time was completely swamped, I didn’t get a response. I then decided to make a trip down to the nearest Meet-the-People Session, which happened to be Mr Chen’s at Paya Lebar.

It was chaotic at the time and the whole system was just getting set up and there were a lot of non-residents who turned up at the MPS with Show Mao, but I went with the intention of wanting to volunteer. And I decided to stay behind to wait to speak to him.

At that time the person in charge thought I was a fan girl who wanted to meet Show Mao, so he ignored me and told me to wait. And I stood there for about two and a half hours just observing what was going on. And after that, the WP rep realised I was still there and talked to me about case law, and I told him about my legal background — he was convinced, and I even managed to see my first case that night.

Come to think of it, I never actually did talk to Show Mao that evening. It didn’t really bother me…

(That’s what you say now. Heh heh heh.)
[Laughter all around]

11. Why did you look for Chen Show Mao initially then?
Ting Ru: I saw that he had a similar background to me, we were working overseas and we did law. But I guess it was (chiefly) because his MPS was the closest to my house.

12. How would you have reacted 10 or 15 years ago, if someone told you then that one day you would join the Workers’ Party?

Ting Ru: I wouldn’t have believed you. I think I mentioned before I never saw myself to be a person who is involved in politics. It was not something I set out to do even when I started volunteering. But over the years, I’ve worked with some very dedicated and sincere people who are very good at what they do.

Together we do actually make a difference in the lives of residents and advance Singapore’s political and democratic system.

13. We hear you have eight cats (this is the actual purpose of our interview with you). How did you come to have so many!
Ting Ru: My family likes cats so we adopted some. Initially, the thinking was that a cat would help keep the rats at bay. But we found out that’s not true.

So all those years ago we went to the SPCA and adopted a ginger as a kitten. Since then we’ve always had a cat, and a total of about 12 or 13 cats have passed through our household.

Of the current eight, one was from SPCA, after my previous cat died, the second one was rescued as a palm-sized stray. There was a pair of cats that found their way into our house and before we could get them sterilised they had three kittens. We wanted to give them away but thought better of it, and never managed to re-home them so they’re still with us (embarrassed laugh). And my mum found a white longhair in a drain a few streets away, who remained there for more than two months (he was definitely abandoned), so we also took him in, and he is still here.

(Your house sounds like a halfway house for cats.)
24feed79611cb782fc63ed50a410261a.jpg
Photo courtesy of He Ting Ru It’s not a halfway house! They just tend to not go (laughs). We didn’t start out as a multi-cat household, but we ended up becoming one.

14. And we ask this question to every person we’re interviewing for this GE — if you were a Singapore hawker food dish, which would you be and why?
Hainanese pork chop. Firstly because my dad’s Hainanese, and food is very important to Hainanese. It’s yummy, but also because I believe the dish was created using both Western and Asian influences, and for someone like me who has lived in both Asian and Western countries it’s quite an apt description, hopefully it’s the best of many worlds but uniquely local.

(Got chilli?)
It’s curry — Hainanese curry! I’ll bring you to the one at Tiong Bahru, my grandfather used to go there and it’s very authentic.

http://mothership.sg/2015/08/mother...-believe-shed-one-day-join-the-workers-party/

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Daniel Goh 吴佩松

Public Figure

There's a story on social media and the GE in today's TODAY: http://m.todayonline.com/…/social-media-shaping-be-key-fron…. I liked the questions posed by Jing Yng as they made me think. Here are the Q&As, slightly edited for length, for what they are worth and your criticism.

1) When did you start your public Facebook/Twitter account and can you please give some specific examples when these platforms have been useful for you to communicate or reach out to Singaporeans?

I started my FB page at the end of 2012 and put myself down as "author" then, as I wanted it to be a platform to discuss my professional, personal and political views. I joined WP in early 2013 and the Punggol East By-election was announced shortly after.

I didn't expect to speak at the By-election rally, but when I did, the page took off. I don't see it as an outreach tool but a platform where I get my views tested and my ego checked, to reduce error and hubris.

2) How often do you log onto your social media accounts? Are you planning to try other types of social media platforms?
I check my page from time to time during the day after I put up a post, as I try to make it a point to engage critics and commentators. I use Instagram and Twitter too.

3) The online space also allowed for personal attacks and vitriol. Were there times when you were affected emotionally by them? Do you respond to the comments and defend your stance?

Not affected by personal attacks and vitriol because I refuse to be petty and be defined by destructive bullies. I am affected, but not emotionally, when someone makes a reasonable criticism. This is when I go into introspection and reflection. I usually respond to engage the criticism, not to defend my stance as such, but to ensure that the view is truly tested in debate. I would admit I am wrong readily.

4) In your personal view, what is the role of social media platforms in terms of outreach? What do you think will be the role of social media in this coming GE?

No idea, as I don't see it or use it as outreach. I see it as a learning platform more than anything else: to learn from fellow citizens and to share learning points and stories with them. I don't like to treat it as a political or publicity instrument.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]符策涫 Foo Seck Guan Kenneth[/h]Public Figure

We've walked alongside you and heard your concerns. Workers' Party will continue to listen and be the voice for fellow Singaporeans.

Polling day will be on 11 Sep 2015. We hope more Singaporeans can step forward to support us in our campaign. To find out more about volunteering for WP, please visit www.wp.sg.

"It's not about doing great things. It's about doing small things that make great impact."

11960087_305505452907097_601084270505114697_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bought some stuff to contribute to the BBQ by Jeanette Chong at Mandarin Gardens BBQ pit 7 tonight.

Just as well that we are doing a BBQ as house visits will be stopped from writ of elections till nomination day. Looking forward to the BBQ. Jeanette Chong Aruldoss

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]The Workers' Party Youth Wing (WPYW)[/h]Political Party

Read on to find out what made Terence devote his time and energies to the grassroots and WP.
Reposted from January this year. You can also follow Terence Tan 陈励正 on his page!

People of WP – Terence Tan

People People of WP – Terence Tan daniel.goh January 18, 2015 2 Comments “If you had told me, 6-8years ago, that I would be doing grassroots work, be concerned about my fellow Singaporeans, I’d have laughed in your face.” So what...
wpyouth.sg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Dennis Tan[/h]Public Figure

It was a very good visit to Bayshore Park on Sunday afternoon. I am extremely grateful to all residents who took the time to speak to us and gave us valuable feedback. We had very good conversations.

The feeling I had of this place reminded me of some of my previous house visits in the former Joo Chiat SMC.

Bayshore Park lies at the boundary of East Coast GRC and Marine Parade GRC. It was a nice coincidence that in the same afternoon, my party colleagues who were assigned to do house visits in Marine Parade GRC were in the estate just across the road in Marine Parade GRC.

I remembered fondly that in GE 2011, as part of the Joo Chiat Team, I did house visits at this same estate at Marine Parade Road. Now it is no longer part of Joo Chiat SMC and my colleagues will instead be contesting in Marine Parade GRC.

I will always remember fondly the support given by Joo Chiat residents to the Workers' Party and my colleague Yee Jenn Jong both during the GE and in the past 4 years. JJ and Team Joo Chiat have walked the constituency in the last 4 years and visited almost every house that was publicly accessible or opened to us.

I wish our colleagues in the Marine Parade team the very best in the coming campaign and deeply wish that residents will give them a chance to serve.

11903696_426347224240832_4605896212772064622_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Terence Tan 陈励正[/h]Public Figure

The SG50 dinner was also an opportunity for some of Hougang Community Legal Clinic's volunteers to catch up and let our, erm, hair down.
11888023_615463938596286_7222370964444715045_n.jpg

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Terence Tan 陈励正

Public Figure

We are not allowed, by law, to conduct any house visits until nomination day on 1 September 2015. Grateful to get to know many Singaporeans to-date. We hope to connect with more of you from nomination day until the Election Day on 11 September 2015. I believe we are still allowed to post on FB though!

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

[h=2]Did you know?[/h]Workers' Party Open House Our Open House is held on every Friday (except Public Holidays). The public is welcome to visit us at our Party HQ to share your views with the members on duty.

Time: 8.00pm to 9.30pm
Venue: Workers’ Party HQ (216-G Syed Alwi Road #02-03 Singapore 207799) See http://wp.sg/contact-us for directions.

[h=2]Volunteer![/h]Want to volunteer your time with WP? Just fill in this form, and we will get in touch with you as soon as we can.
Thanks in advance!

http://wp.sg/