• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Truth Behind Goh Meng Seng’s Political Step-down

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many must be shell shocked by National Solidarity Party’s Secretary-General (SG) Mr Goh Meng Seng’s recent decision to step down from politics to take a 2-year political sabbatical break.

He was the NSP’s SG for fifteen months and led the party in the recent 2011 General Election.

He is most likely seeking a executive director’s position in Hong Kong’s NGO so that he can spend more time with his family there.

Hazel Poa will take over the position of SG with immediate effect.

When news broke out that he quitted, many friends and NSP supporters asked me why Meng Seng made that decision – especially when he did so well at Tampines GRC as the team managed to garner 43% of the votes during the recent general election. Many also rumoured that the good result toppled Mr Mah Bow Tan from his position as Minister for National Development.

Was he taking responsibility for the collective poor showing at the polls as no one in NSP managed to win any Member of Parliament (MP) seat – not even a Non Constituency Member of Parliament (NCMP) position.

Not many SG in opposition politics took responsibility for their party’s poor showing at the polls and Meng Seng must be given credit for been the first one to do so.

Nevertheless, many people have also speculated that Meng Seng could be ousted as he is a straight talking guy and sometimes tend to step on too many toes while he discharged his duties perhaps abit too stringently.

I will not want to touch on this topic too much here as I am still a NSP Congress member and it is also a sensitive issue.

Humble Yet Proud Guy?

I first met Meng Seng three years ago – after a TOC event at Hong Lim Park. We just finished our speeches and he approached me asking whether I want to meet him for a chat on another day.

He had a ever ready smile and never seem to lose that sparkle in his eyes when he talked. It is difficult not to like this guy.

Knowing that he belonged to a political party and been rather non-partisan then, I turned him down. However, deep down inside me, I knew that I won’t be seeing this guy for the last time…

We didn’t cross path much during these past few years as I was abroad for a long while.

I heard that he left Workers’ Party and later joined NSP – becoming their SG shortly.

It was not surprising that he took up such a high-profiled position in opposition politics as he has a deep seated conviction about such matter.

He told me during our campaigning in Tampines GRC that his dad was in politics and it ran in his family.

He was proud to mention that he introduced opposition politics to his eldest brother, David, who later became his Principal Election Party in Tampines GRC. Unfortunately, he passed away due to a heart attack on the first day of campaigning.

While still living in Sydney last year, he emailed me asking if I am keen to join politics. I took up the challenge later when I decided to stand in the recent General Election.

When I came back to Singapore early this year, I met him up in Bishan J8 Toastbox and was surprised at his attire.

He was dressed in a kaki-coloured Bermuda and his tummy showed when he tucked in his round necked tee underneath it. His sandals seemed to complete the image of a hawker working in the coffee shop.

Though I am not expecting him to wear a tie to meet me, I was completely overwhelmed by his casual approach when he went to talk to potential election candidates.

He was relaxed, humble and easy to talk to. Compared to Kenneth Jeyeretnam whom I would be talking to in a few days’ time, Meng Seng came across as someone who is approachable and open.

I felt very comfortable around him but were still bothered by his extremely casual attire.

He didn’t really push me to join his party like Kenneth did and there was no contact from him after we spoke. Kenneth, on the other hand, did his best to bring me into the party and even asked someone from Australia – Irene, to email me daily and persuaded me to join RP.

Of course, all of you knew what happened next and I don’t want to repeat myself here.

Meng Seng would termed it my first political mistake…

Though many people saw that, on the exterior, Meng Seng seems humble and easy going, deep down he is rather obstinate and hold to his principles very well. Sometimes, it works well for him but on numerous occasions, his stubborn streak didn’t serve him well.

Perhaps, as a party leader, you can’t seem to be regularly switching stance or else people will think that you are fickle minded and inconsistent so you want to be seen as unbendable and steady.

Some have even commented that he could come across as rather proud and insisted on having his own way. He also self-praised quite a fair bit and this adds on to the notion that he may come across as being rather self-conceited.

Nevertheless, on a personal level, I felt that he is not too open to criticism and tend to hold on to his own thinking even though it could be flawed.

For example, Meng Seng always felt that the success of the election campaigning boiled down to how much exposure we have gained through the media.

Many people knew by now that there was a news black-out on Tampines GRC for NSP during the 9 days of campaigning and except for the slight reporting on David’s death, we didn’t gain any fair media coverage through the mainstream media (MSM).

We knew that was deliberate as Tampines GRC was seen as a possible upset win for the opposition party due to the Mah Bow Tan’s factor.

Sticking to his media-theme gun, Meng Seng didn’t really have a Plan B when that didn’t work and we simply campaigned without any strategy at all after that.

I could see though that his plan to use the media to his advantage eventually backfired on him badly.

Too Casual As Secretary General?

On the other hand, many have also commented that he is seen as been too casual and approachable as a secretary general.

He can be out having coffee with his volunteers laughing away heartily and many may have taken his casualness as a weakness.

It was perhaps his difficult time at the Workers’ Party that made him want to be seen as approachable and open in his leadership style.

At Workers’ Party, many members have left as they could not stand the SG Low Thian Kiang’s autocratic leadership style.

Nevertheless, on a personal level, I felt that his casual manner may have appeal to some – especially those who dislike leaders who are too dogmatic.

His consultative manner also invite people to also criticize him openly – sometimes in front of other people and slowly, people may have lose the respect for him.

Well Read

I was actually floored at how well-read Meng Seng is.

I remembered we had dinner with someone at a posh restaurant in Hotel Hyatt just after the election.

We were talking about ancient China politics in comparison with the European ones and his exposition literally made my jaw dropped.

Moreover, he is not even a political science student as he did economics in varsity. He gained a second upper honours degree and that made him quite an intelligent guy.

I learned quite a lot that day from him and he is eight years younger than me…

“Many people have told me that I am not intellectual enough in my conversation,” he later confided in me on our many trips back in his beaten-up van.

I have never felt that he is not intellectual enough but perhaps he lacks the clout to make people sit up and take notice when he speaks.

It is not something we all have and perhaps that is why some leaders are literally born and not make.

I always see Meng Seng more as an activist than a politician and I am sure that he can be a damn good one.

As an activist, you are also impacting lives as much as politicians do and more importantly you escape from all the dirt that politics bring.

It is also more rewarding as you touch lives without the sick feeling that there is an ultimate aim of winning their votes when you try to help them.

This has also being my constant struggle with opposition politics as people tend to perceive that you help them with a motive – to garner their votes to win the next election.

Conclusion

As Meng Seng faded into political seclusion for the next two years, let us hope that he will not take this as a set back but try to plough his massive energy into an NGO or even set up one on his own.

Many people have said that politics is always in one’s blood and when you have tasted it before , you can never leave it out completely from your life.

I am sure that there are many Meng Seng’s fans out there hoping that he will make a come back after his sabbatical.

Though we don’t really see eye to eye on some matters, we have always reserved that mutual respect for one other.

I am also gratified that you took me in after the short RP nightmarish stint and even made me a member of the Tampines GRC team. Many other candidates were eyeing for a spot within the GRC team…

I wish you all the best Meng Seng and sometimes what don’t kill us makes us stronger! After all, politics is already running in your blood and do make a comeback but in a sterner fashion…

http://www.transitioning.org/2011/06/28/the-truth-behind-goh-meng-sengs-political-step-down/

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To say the least, I am quite impressed by the Writer's assessment of GMS. This Writer's opinions mirrors mine exactly and no one can say it better:smile:

He has also expressed the same sentiments that I had written in another thread.

I sincerely hope GMS reads this and believe me, GMS, he is right about you.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
From his posts and actions, I concluded that GMS has the ability to look after his own interests.

It is good to take a two-year break. In fact he can make it a three-year break and it will not make any difference. It is also an astute move, especially in view of his style of politics. Full of sound and fury but when it comes to the actual scene, beset by internal politics, poor financial governance and no killer punch.

Take a good rest, let the PAP play the caring governor, WP do their usual limited action whilst the others engage in the highest martial art form: non-action. Then 3 years later, come back and check out the political scene, level of dissatisfaction, etc. I believe that there will be little catching up to do: NSP's Sebastian had already mastered the highest martial art form. Hazel Poa seems like a good learner.

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is one of the rare species remaining in Singapore politics. With a good break, hope he can come back again for 2016 GE. :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wow, a truly eye opening honest appraisal of Capt Goh Meng Seng..

Me and my family and buddies all voted for Capt Goh and his NSP team in their battle against MaboK Tan during the recent GE..

All the Best wishes to Mr Goh Meng Seng for his future plans..:smile:

jw5

Loyal
His efforts for opposition politics in SG should be respected.

And surely he deserves a well earned rest and more time with his family.

But what he's doing now may be used against him in future by the pappies, who love to mock the opposition members for disappearing post elections and only turning up again before and during elections. This will happen if he becomes a force to be reckoned with next time. The biggest problem will be that many neutral and middle ground voters will agree with the pappies.

maozedong

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although I don't know GMS well, I agree with your assessment. Debated with GMS in the old Sammyboy forum before. He's really a nice guy who will chat with anybody. He doesn't care if you are rich or poor, highly educated or illiterate. But you are right that outwardly he's humble, but deep inside, he probably thinks highly of himself -- that he is right almost all the time. And you are right that he makes a better activist than politician. On the whole, GMS is a good person. He deserves our support, and credit for trying --- it isn't easy being an opposition politician here.

Low Thia Kiang may be authoritarian -- but he knows how to conduct himself, especially in public. Low Thia Kiang projects a serious image -- he rarely gives interview -- because he wants to project the image that he's more interested in working for the people and not in grabbing media attention -- and that his work will speak for him -- and I think this goes down well with a lot of Singaporeans. Singaporeans are unlike Americans or Taiwanese who are into political theatrics. The average Singaporean does not like too much drama. And GMS likes drama! He likes to debate, give interview, write to the media (opposite of Low TK). Perhaps his style will sit well with the Taiwanese.

Low Tia Khiang is a very smart guy. He is like China's Wen JiaBao -- an award winning actor who wears his heart on his sleeves -- always acting very serious and concerned -- when in actuality he failed utterly to curb inflation in China -- all he has done is to make the rich richer in China and the poor poorer because of inflation. ... .okay sorry for the digression ... but Chinese and American politics are more interesting ...

Last edited:

wunder_monkey

It's remarkable how similar is everyone's assessment of GMS. I guess he is a relatively uncomplicated person, flaws and all. Encumbered with a ego not quite matched by his talents, and possessed of a argumentative nature, he is political gadfly, sometimes clown and earnest social activist all rolled into one....albeit in the batam weight category.

GMS may lack the necessary smarts and savy (and some say gravitas) to run a serious political party but he could still make a good MP as his heart is in the right place. He geinunely wants to help. But god forbids he ever ends up at the helm of another political party again!

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is a politically astute move. Nothing much will happen on the political front for the next few years, except that the WP will be in the limelight somewhat, and will be the party that draws people and other resources. It will get all the media publicity, should it so desire. The other opp parties will simply be ignored by the mainstream media. (Even Hazel Poa's ascendancy to the SG position received low-key media coverage.) Political apathy will re-embrace the electorate until a few months before the next GE. Unlike some other parties who won no seats and appear to have great plans and objectives (which are likely to come to nought), GMS knows not to hold his breath. Best to conserve energy and effort to re-engage at the right time.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Actually, there are a few contradictions made in Gilbert's assessment. :smile:

I am glad people try to compare me to LTK but no, I am not LTK and I am definitely not running a party like WP.

IR123 seems to have a better understanding of what is going on.

There are definitely a lot of things happening in NSP "behind the scenes" but I guess Gilbert isn't in the position to make good assessment of it.

Well, he didn't really make good assessment on who to join and failed his first political judgement and subsequently, failed the second political judgement as well.

Politics is not so simple as one plus one equals to two. Due to many last inclusions and insertions, things didn't turn out as the way I have planned it to be.

I have strong views but definitely not "obstinate" as one who calls it. Such strong views are based on assessment of situation as well as past experiences. I may have strong views that both scholars should join the Tampines Team but I am not that extremely obstinate when they declined to join Tampines Team. Of course, there is no "IFs" in politics on scenarios of different kinds. Nobody would know exactly whether they would make a difference in Tampines because we cannot replay history again.

But it just happens that, on hindsight, many people share my "strong views" eventually.

It is a recorded fact that I have strong views that Marine Parade should be contested and we should avoid Jurong GRC. I am not that "obstinate" when there are people who insist on contesting Jurong GRC. It "just happens" that the objective results proved that my "strong views" or judgement is right.

While people may view that as being "boastful" when I put these assessment up after GE but that is really not the point. The point is, people should learn good lessons from such incidents. If they want to view it as "boastful", I cannot stop them. If they refuse to learn from such mistakes, I cannot force them to.

That is why I say, the results speak for itself but if people choose to continue ignore these objective indicators and refused to listen to sound strategic views, it is their loss not mine.

Gilbert came into the Tampines campaign at the eleventh hour. He wanted to carry the campaign very different, in his own ways. Spending hours in "cell group" discussion, believing that this will make an impact. He believes that this is the way to gain trust, confidence and votes. This is his strong views. It is the TEAM's decision to abandon that plan, not mine.

I didn't agree with him but yet, I let him try. I gave him the free hand to try things out. I am definitely not that "obstinate" which he chose to describe.

People tend to say oh, MBT is so unpopular why NSP cannot dislodge him? They forgotten to ask how MBT became so unpopular when he has actually gained a good polling result of more than 68% in GE2006. It is a deliberate effort on our part to spend two whole years in dissecting his HDB policy bits by bits. It is only when we raised the ills of 30 years mortgage and thereafter, it gets viral. These are strategic moves which have been forgotten by even Gilbert.

To win a GRC, it takes a lot of factors to be right. The right Candidates, the right issues, the right strategies applicable to different parties, the right ground, right opponents etc. CSM didn't do much ground work but he won. Why?

For example, Tony and Hazel team spent two months working the ground relentlessly but their team got 39%. Similarly scholar in nature, Tan Jee Say and team, with the burden of SDP branding, managed to win 39% as well in a ground which we know is far worse than CCK, without much ground work. Why? (In fact, my assessment is that Tan Jee Say and team are the MOST VALUABLE ASSETS in opposition for this GE2011 but this is another matter.) On the other hand, the other scholar in Bishan Toa Payoh, with very little ground work, but by virtual of standing with Uncle Chiam, gets 43%!

The main difference lies in the media exposures given to TJS Holland Bukit team, Bishan Toa Payoh Team and the lack of it for CCK. Thus the assessment that Main Stream Media plays a very important role is not an overstatement.

Priority for the last 9 days campaigning should be focus on Visibility. Knocking doors or having group meetings at last hours will not make that kind of impact. But people believe in that BIG "IF".

Tampines IS a BIG FORTRESS and that is why, it is the only GRC that has ABSOLUTELY no change to its boundaries at all. i.e. they cannot make it any stronger! With 32% of 5 room flats and above, this is the TOP fortress in Singapore electoral constituency!

I can be a very nice person but when it comes to strategy wise, I can proudly say that 90% of the time I have it right. And I have to put my feet down and say the "undesirable" songs that few people want to listen.

Unfortunately, it is "others" who think too highly of themselves to do otherwise. But it is strange, when you got it right and talk about it, it becomes "boastful"; but when it comes to things that are not able to conclusively prove with that big "IF" covered with intensive hindsight, it becomes "obstinate". :wink:

I told some people, it is not about making decisions or comments or remarks that would PLEASE everyone that matters but it is all about making the RIGHT decisions, doing the RIGHT things. When people are not convinced, let the objective results or indicators speak for itself. And we must drum into them, that is where they have gone wrong.

The contradiction is this: Whose ego is that? Most likely, people who feel that I am "boastful" have taken it personally that my words hurt their egos directly. But I have to speak the truth with the objective indicators as the supporting evidence because, nobody is perfect and will need to learn fast, especially for intelligent people who lack wisdom. When one cannot reason it out properly to say otherwise, they will come to that kind of emotional conclusions.

Some brush aside the little mis-steps made by other people by saying they are young, inexperienced etc. My direct rebuttal is, Singaporeans are really very unforgiving; look at Tin Pei Ling and you will understand why I am worried about all these "technicalities" which can turn into big nightmares.

Whether we like it or not, we must face the reality that NSP IS NOT WP which has 1 MP and 1 NCMP to start with and they have lots of political capital garnered through GE 2006. And now, they have a total of 8 MPs plus NCMP in parliament! You cannot run NSP the way LTK runs WP.

Having said all these, NSP did make critical mistake as well: letting inexperienced people to run the media team. Anyway, all these things have nothing to do with the "Truth" I step down. I will put up my thoughts on GE2011 later on my blog. THESE, I promise, will be really HARD TRUTH to start with. But as for the real TRUTH on why I step down as SG, it is already there on my blog. :smile:

Goh Meng Seng

Z

Zombie

GMS

Can/Will TKL employ you as Personal Assistant/Secretary for 2 years if he gets elected?

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
But what he's doing now may be used against him in future by the pappies, who love to mock the opposition members for disappearing post elections and only turning up again before and during elections.

I doubt it will be used against him. After all that is the time honoured style of the past few decades. Towards the election, they will wake up, fight for 9 days and wonder why they did not win.

Therefore I feel that the oppositions only have themselves to blame for their own failures. The ground was ripe in 2011 but their lack of track record, desire in putting themselves and family members in the pie at the expense of loyal compatriots, lack of internal organization, etc, etc leads to their own failures in reaping the ground.

I sincerely hope that with the revamped PAP and the hardworking WP, such a period will never darken Singaporeans again. That's good news for Singaporeans but bad news for the oppositions.

Except WP of course.

Maybe GMS too.

As I said, he is astute. The more he speaks the deeper the hole. Silence for him is an asset. And of course, his timing in coming back two years later is close to perfection.

Last edited:

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
IR123 seems to have a better understanding of what is going on.

GMS,

I must say that I know very little of politics, PAP or otherwise. Only patterns as publicly revealed in the press and media. Thereafter it is just guesswork.

Take the time to get a good rest.

Also there seemed to be a concerted attempt to bring the public favour (?) of TKL to a more manageable level before the Elections proper. He was reported as sounding out TCB if a two-candidate election is a better option. I do not know TKL thus when I read the report, it seems that TCB has bigger balls.

What he needs to do is to determine how he can add value to the job and communicate it in a way, not his current way, that brings respect to his candidacy.

The reason why the fuel is burning is because there are some in the opposition camp whom he has offended. For example, when an attempt was made to attack Chen of the WP early in the Election, it immediately falter and that person who initiated the attack quickly quiet down. Yet the flames against TKL kept on being stoked higher. Unlike the Chen case, such attacks on TKL strike chords in the psyche of some opposition members. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" is a strategy that can be used by both sides, not just the opposition.

Perhaps TKL can take a sabbatical too and carefully plan the 9-day campaign. That sabbatical is good for him because involvement in the arguments made people NOT remember what the argument was about. All the people will remember is that there are arguments against TKL and they may wonder if there are substance after all.

I doubt that the NSP will go anywhere without you. But hey, it is their loss!

Last edited:

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I doubt it will be used against him. After all that is the time honoured style of the past few decades. Towards the election, they will wake up, fight for 9 days and wonder why they did not win.

Therefore I feel that the oppositions only have themselves to blame for their own failures. The ground was ripe in 2011 but their lack of track record, desire in putting themselves and family members in the pie at the expense of loyal compatriots, lack of internal organization, etc, etc leads to their own failures in reaping the ground.

I sincerely hope that with the revamped PAP and the hardworking WP, such a period will never darken Singaporeans again. That's good news for Singaporeans but bad news for the oppositions.

Except WP of course.

Maybe GMS too.

As I said, he is astute. The more he speaks the deeper the hole. Silence for him is an asset. And of course, his timing in coming back two years later is close to perfection.

Please GMS...stop posting here or anywhere else. Silence is golden and airing your views will only create controversy and personal clashes. Keep close to your heart your thoughts and confide only to people who you trust. You have many friends here who has no axe to grind. Your heart is in the right place, no doubt, but a good politician requires more than that...astuteness and cunning.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please GMS...stop posting here or anywhere else. Silence is golden and airing your views will only create controversy and personal clashes. Keep close to your heart your thoughts and confide only to people who you trust. You have many friends here who has no axe to grind. Your heart is in the right place, no doubt, but a good politician requires more than that...astuteness and cunning.

I think that is good advice for GMS. Though you wrote to the wrong person.

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He just plain lazy, 3 months before next Election, he will announce he coming back to NSP, who want to bet with me? LOL

karmabear

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, as long as GMS is not the face of opposition, he can start fucking dogs and cats for all I care. Winners win, losers explain.