• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Thais Love Their King, Why Can't We Love LKY?

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya hor, the Thais treat their king like a demigod - for doing nothing. At least if you treat SM Lee like a demigod, you could get something in return - greater stability for the country, your 13th or 14th months year end bonus, safety for your children and family, and of course the honour of living in a first world country.

He is unlike SM Lee who after a heart surgery a few days ago is still doing his job and travelling to Hong Kong to publicise Singapore to potential investors so that more jobs can be created for his citizens, and also to raise the profile of Singapore in the political and economic world so that ordinary Singaporeans and businessmen can be respected globally. Lesser Singaporeans could have asked for two months of MCs. That MadNSman lurking in this forum could have asked to be discharged with honour from his NS duties - with a medal thrown in!

SM Lee should be treated like a moden day King.

right after surgery, travel to other country and sit in some conference, seminar shooting off his mouth is not a service to sporeans. its ego trip.

for a traitor, its a miracle to 'reign' this country this long.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
C'mon. The Thai King... doesnt get angry or sue people's pants off....

Well if SM Lee doesn't do any sort of work and yet get respected and be treated like a demigod, why should he have to incur the wrath of the people and have to work so hard to sue people off their pants and panties?

For that matter, why should you be angry if people admired or praised you for nothing.

The Thais like to say long live the King. Singaporeans should learn how to say - long live SM Lee! For that matter, our neighbouring countries should also say that because SM Lee has adopted a "prosper thy neighbours" policy that see so many of their citizens working in the country to feed thousand of their families back home!

Even his daughter-in-law is so generous and has invested billions of dollars to prop up their companies. Wan swee wan swee wan wan swee! :biggrin::biggrin:

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY should migrate to china. The PRCs love LKY for advising Deng Xiaoping to open up their economy. (at least, those who have never come to sg and don't know the truth) I was at kino yesterday and a whole tour group of PRCs bought LKY memoirs, one for each fella!

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
C'mon. The Thai King is no ordinary person. He continously display compassionate, empathy & love for the people. He doesnt get angry or sue people's pants off. He has plenty of wisdom to offer. He bears no grudges & being like the way he is, im sure heaven has a place for him. In fact, he has achieved God-like status, even amongst the educated & cynical Thais.
Now, we're comparing the Thai King with whom again??????

When people go to a church, everyone is praying to Jesus.
When people go to a mosque, they are praying to their Allah.
When people follow, they do the same what everyone else is doing.

It's just like Thailand, everyone is doing, so they do and follow.

A leader with wisdom and who loves the country, will not allow his people to run riot for months in the capital and take over the airport crippling the nation's economy. With just 1 word, everything would cease, because of the people's love and respect for him. But not a single word was said and what we saw were fights, bombs, deaths.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
When people go to a church, everyone is praying to Jesus.
When people go to a mosque, they are praying to their Allah.
When people follow, they do the same what everyone else is doing.

It's just like Thailand, everyone is doing, so they do and follow.

A leader with wisdom and who loves the country, will not allow his people to run riot for months in the capital and take over the airport crippling the nation's economy. With just 1 word, everything would cease, because of the people's love and respect for him. But not a single word was said and what we saw were fights, bombs, deaths.

Are you implying that Sporeans are always obedient because they respect LKY?

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey, comparing Thai King to LKY is an insult to the Royal Family of Thailand.

Maybe shd compare LKY to First Emperor of China Qin Shih Huang.

Quite a number similarities.

1) LKY work under the Jap during WW2 and Emperor Qin was a hostage in the kingdom of Zhao.
2) LKY made use of Communist to gain power and got rid of them once in power. Qin Emperor use of the Lu Buwei the Prime Minister(who was his real father) to gain actual power and force Lu Buwei to commit suicide.
3) LKY use many foreign nationals in his cabinet while Qin Court was filled with people from other states.
4) LKY make changes to education system that force everyone to use english while Qin standardize one chinese script.
5) Both LKY and Qin laws are draconican.
6) LKY sue ppl who dont fall in line while Qin buried ppl alive.:rolleyes:
7) Both of them believe soothsayers.
8) Last but not least, both conscript their citizens into the military.:rolleyes:

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you implying that Sporeans are always obedient because they respect LKY?

Nope, I am implying that when they love their leader. There are the few that really love. The rest express their love just because everyone is doing that. Not to do that would be like being left out.

As for respecting LKY, i have to be honest, for having travelled to many other countries before, I have seen much worst leaders than LKY.

We can say PAP do this no good, that no good, if we go another country, we would not be having it better.
We can say Singapore treat foreigners better than own citizens.
When we go other countries, we as foreigners are most often treated as 3rd class or even 4th class citizens.
I think we should treat everyone equal, but most countries are racists. And why Singapore don't treat foreigners as lower classes is what is the difference then compared to what other countries did?

Even this time the Thai King did not do anything to lift the country out of this political mess, but the people still respect him. Even you not a Thai, mentioned that he has compassion empathy for the people. But his policies did not even directly affect you.
Likewise, we can say life has become more difficult for us, but its everywhere. Can we say that in all these years LKY has done no single good to develop and change Singapore to even deserve that bit of respect?

If we had military junta like Myanmar, you and me would no longer be using broadband access to talk to each other so freely over here.

My opinion can't change everyone and is not supposed to change anyone's thinking. But I learnt to look at things from all perspectives rather than at just 1 single angle.
There is no perfect person, human, nor govt. In short, no one is perfect:o

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope, I am implying that when they love their leader. There are the few that really love. The rest express their love just because everyone is doing that. Not to do that would be like being left out.

How much do you know about the Thai people to qualify those remarks?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey, comparing Thai King to LKY is an insult to the Royal Family of Thailand.

Maybe shd compare LKY to First Emperor of China Qin Shih Huang.

Quite a number similarities.

1) LKY work under the Jap during WW2 and Emperor Qin was a hostage in the kingdom of Zhao.
2) LKY made use of Communist to gain power and got rid of them once in power. Qin Emperor use of the Lu Buwei the Prime Minister(who was his real father) to gain actual power and force Lu Buwei to commit suicide.
3) LKY use many foreign nationals in his cabinet while Qin Court was filled with people from other states.
4) LKY make changes to education system that force everyone to use english while Qin standardize one chinese script.
5) Both LKY and Qin laws are draconican.
6) LKY sue ppl who dont fall in line while Qin buried ppl alive.:rolleyes:
7) Both of them believe soothsayers.
8) Last but not least, both conscript their citizens into the military.:rolleyes:

You should watch this movie called Hero. Don't just read the synopsis. You could rent this and watch

Qin Emperor is a tyrant, and the assassin has the chance to kill him. But at the last moment of time, he chose to let him go and sacrifice his own life.

This movie is not just about martial arts and nice cinematography but behind the story has a meaning as to what we think may not be the for the good of everyone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(movie)

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
How much do you know about the Thai people to qualify those remarks?

In the past before Thaksin became Prime Minister, The monarchy family consisting of the King, the Queen and the Princess and others were the ones who did for the poor. Due to poverty, poor irrigation, drainage in the provinces and farms, during the rainy season, many of these provinces were flooded. The King and his royal family went down to disaster zones, help the people, did the irrigation works to help improve their lives.

The role of Thaksin and the role of the King is very different. The King supposedly is said not to touch onto political issues. But every appointment of PM and govt has to be endorsed by the King. And the coup on Thaksin was endorsed by the King.

When Thaksin became Prime Minister, he is very smart to take note that the rural poor are the ones where he could get most support and also noted what the King has done.

Thaksin's thaksinomics helped many of the rural folks be able to develop infrastructure for their business and drive the country out of the doldrums from the 97 Asian crash

He even started the Universal health care for the people.
Soon Thaksin became the idol of many, especially among the rural poor, for he did many and improve their lives.

When you ask the Thais, they all say they love their King. When you ask most of them, then why do you love your King?

It's like you ask a christian, do you love Jesus. He says he does. Then you ask him why do you love him then.
Most of the people love because others love too.

It's like crowd movement, you see people queueing for something, everyone starts queueing up.
If you walk along orchard road, you stop standing there looking at the sky, there will be many people who will look at you, stop, and then start staring at the sky too. :o

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest you go read "The King Never" smiles by Paul Handley to try and understand the other side of King Bhumipol.

In thailand, if one speaks bad of the King, he might get walloped on the streets and if caught by Police, gets thrown to prison after some bashing.
So who dares to speak bad about the King?

They even ban access to foreign websites which criticises the Monarchy.

It's a bit similar to what LKY did.
But the good thing is you criticise LKY in singapore, you still get to live and at most you become very poor.
You criticise the King in thailand, I don't know whether still have the chance to see the next sun rise:o

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suggest you go read "The King Never" smiles by Paul Handley to try and understand the other side of King Bhumipol.

Nothing can distract the fact that the people of Thailand love their king, this KING! The Thai people are not ignorant of history and are no fools. Things are discussed in private, not in the open. The feelings toward the Crown Prince are well known in PRIVATE conversations. The monarchy will never be the same after the KING passes on!

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal

As for respecting LKY, i have to be honest, for having travelled to many other countries before, I have seen much worst leaders than LKY.

We can say PAP do this no good, that no good, if we go another country, we would not be having it better.
We can say Singapore treat foreigners better than own citizens.
When we go other countries, we as foreigners are most often treated as 3rd class or even 4th class citizens.
I think we should treat everyone equal, but most countries are racists. And why Singapore don't treat foreigners as lower classes is what is the difference then compared to what other countries did?

Even this time the Thai King did not do anything to lift the country out of this political mess, but the people still respect him. Even you not a Thai, mentioned that he has compassion empathy for the people. But his policies did not even directly affect you.
Likewise, we can say life has become more difficult for us, but its everywhere. Can we say that in all these years LKY has done no single good to develop and change Singapore to even deserve that bit of respect?

If we had military junta like Myanmar, you and me would no longer be using broadband access to talk to each other so freely over here.

My opinion can't change everyone and is not supposed to change anyone's thinking. But I learnt to look at things from all perspectives rather than at just 1 single angle.
There is no perfect person, human, nor govt. In short, no one is perfect:o
Thks for all "examples" & "inadequacies" of other ill favored nations as a case-comparison with LKY.
The thing is, the Thais hates politicians BUT love the King. The Burmese hates the Junta BUT love democracy. Christians loves Jesus BUT hate their neighbors. I cant put a thumb anywhere why we should love LKY. Can you?
Just becoz LKY elevate Spore into a 1st world country status means Im a 1st world class citizen ah? And just becoz we have free broadband, a cushy environment to work & live means I must love LKY ah?
The thing is, "why DONT WE LOVE LKY as much as we should"?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing can distract the fact that the people of Thailand love their king, this KING! The Thai people are not ignorant of history and are no fools. Things are discussed in private, not in the open. The feelings toward the Crown Prince are well known in PRIVATE conversations. The monarchy will never be the same after the KING passes on!

I seem to like the fact that you said things are discussed in private.

You should start reading on King Ananda Mahidol, (revered King after his death)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ananda_Mahidol

Also you can try to find this book
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devil's_Discus

Kruger treated the King's 1946 murder as a true-life whodunnit, tracing the witnesses, arguing that this had really been a political assassination and naming the men responsible . the Government responded by banning the book and barring Kruger from the country. When a local firm planned to publish an edition, its premises were burnt down. Kruger later abandoned his writing career to become a property developer

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thks for all "examples" & "inadequacies" of other ill favored nations as a case-comparison with LKY.
The thing is, the Thais hates politicians BUT love the King. The Burmese hates the Junta BUT love democracy. Christians loves Jesus BUT hate their neighbors. I cant put a thumb anywhere why we should love LKY. Can you?
Just becoz LKY elevate Spore into a 1st world country status means Im a 1st world class citizen ah? And just becoz we have free broadband, a cushy environment to work & live means I must love LKY ah?
The thing is, "why DONT WE LOVE LKY as much as we should"?

Is there anything I say more that can change your opinion?

I don't think so, and my viewpoint is not to change people's opinion but to look at things from more perspectives :o