• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Team of Hope!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Logically, I think that Chiam S.T. would prefer to contest Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC because of obvious promixity and spillover effect from Potong Pasir. However, it'd be simpler for Kenneth J. to put up a team in Tanjong Pagar GRC as he himself settles the minority requirement. In Bishan-TP, there's still the question of getting a strong enough Malay candidate in the team.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Logically, I think that Chiam S.T. would prefer to contest Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC because of obvious promixity and spillover effect from Potong Pasir. However, it'd be simpler for Kenneth J. to put up a team in Tanjong Pagar GRC as he himself settles the minority requirement. In Bishan-TP, there's still the question of getting a strong enough Malay candidate in the team.

The best GRC team is one with BOTH Indian and Malay candidates.

Goh Meng Seng

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal

Do you think it's worse to have a "weaker" Malay candidate or no Malay candidate? Bearing in mind that all GRCs have Malay voters - even in Tanjong Pagar.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Do you think it's worse to have a "weaker" Malay candidate or no Malay candidate? Bearing in mind that all GRCs have Malay voters - even in Tanjong Pagar.

Frankly, I don't know. What I know is trying to be everything to everybody is beyond opposition resources now. PAP has the resources to do that, opposition don't, even if it's a nice "ideal" or "aspiration". First thing first, can field a qualifying GRC team or not? Second thing, can win or not?

Frankly again, it's not possible to win any ward in Singapore without Chinese ground support. However, it's possible without Malay ground support. All you need is 50.1% where all wards now have more than than 50% Chinese. I'm not advocating Chinese supremacy over or discrimination against minorities. I'm just saying, be able contest first, be able to win, then take good care of minority interests and you'll keep their votes.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frankly, I don't know. What I know is trying to be everything to everybody is beyond opposition resources now. PAP has the resources to do that, opposition don't, even if it's a nice "ideal" or "aspiration". First thing first, can field a qualifying GRC team or not? Second thing, can win or not?

Frankly again, it's not possible to win any ward in Singapore without Chinese ground support. However, it's possible without Malay ground support. All you need is 50.1% where all wards now have more than than 50% Chinese. I'm not advocating Chinese supremacy over or discrimination against minorities. I'm just saying, be able contest first, be able to win, then take good care of minority interests and you'll keep their votes.

What you say make sense though I don't know how workable. But I was actually referring to what you said that K.J. did not need to look for a strong Malay candidate if he went to Tanjong Pagar GRC. I feel that there are also Malay voters in TPG that RP needed to win over.

Then I just realise that Tanjong Pagar unlike the other PAP held GRCs meets only the minimal requirements. For e.g. in Sembawang needs an Indian candidate and Shanmugam is the one, yet there is a Malay chap Hawazi Daipi. If an opposition sends a team there with one Indian and no Malay because it didn't need one, would that be disadvantageous because Malay voters would go for PAP team.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just read the ST article on RP's anniversary dinner.

RP is small with about 30 members. The only outstanding personality is KJ. It looks like they won't be able to grow organically in time for the election.

The Economic Review Committee's preliminary report will be out in Jan 2010, to be followed by the pork-barrel package during Budget Speech, and election to be held soon thereafter. This is to avoid holding an election during a highly possible double-dip recession.

Until last year, I still thought that RP was SDP v2.0. Apparently (unless there is a heavy smokescreen), it is not going to be. With a Damocles' sword hanging over SDP, I wonder where the reincarnation is going to be.

It looks like my 10-point scenario and pessimism are still relevant.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Phouse,

A party with 30 ACTIVE members is not small in Singapore. Of course, I wouldn't know how active RP members are but that is beside the point.

I have attended RP dinner and I do see quite a number of new faces there, as compared to RP just a year ago. Justin & Tony are most probably the upcoming leaders and I notice they do have female members as well.

One possible problem with RP candidates may be that they are young and lack electoral experiences. But I can see their passion, enthusiasm and sincerity which are very important traits. The key is to transform such positive traits into actions and passionate moving speeches.

I believe that veteran James Teo would be their main asset in organizing as well as providing valuable advices on the ground. He could well be the most important man behind the whole election campaign.

With such combination, I guess they would have no worries over conducting a good election campaign, giving PAP a good fight.

Goh Meng Seng

Just read the ST article on RP's anniversary dinner.

RP is small with about 30 members. The only outstanding personality is KJ. It looks like they won't be able to grow organically in time for the election.

The Economic Review Committee's preliminary report will be out in Jan 2010, to be followed by the pork-barrel package during Budget Speech, and election to be held soon thereafter. This is to avoid holding an election during a highly possible double-dip recession.

Until last year, I still thought that RP was SDP v2.0. Apparently (unless there is a heavy smokescreen), it is not going to be. With a Damocles' sword hanging over SDP, I wonder where the reincarnation is going to be.

It looks like my 10-point scenario and pessimism are still relevant.

phouse3

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Phouse,

A party with 30 ACTIVE members is not small in Singapore. Of course, I wouldn't know how active RP members are but that is beside the point.

I have attended RP dinner and I do see quite a number of new faces there, as compared to RP just a year ago. Justin & Tony are most probably the upcoming leaders and I notice they do have female members as well.

One possible problem with RP candidates may be that they are young and lack electoral experiences. But I can see their passion, enthusiasm and sincerity which are very important traits. The key is to transform such positive traits into actions and passionate moving speeches.

I believe that veteran James Teo would be their main asset in organizing as well as providing valuable advices on the ground. He could well be the most important man behind the whole election campaign.

With such combination, I guess they would have no worries over conducting a good election campaign, giving PAP a good fight.

Goh Meng Seng

If 30 is considered big, I truly feel sorry for the opposition, which was my point. Not all 30 are candidates. As indirectly noted by you, some have to play the role of foot soldiers.

Obviously, you and I are not members of RP. So do not speak like one. A commentator should make fair comments based on available public information.

It is from the horse's mouth that there are only 30, and the party hope to recruit another 60 over the next 1 year. Again, based on public information (ERC report and Budget), I made a calculated guess on the timing of the election and hence felt that the party won't have the time to do so. This is augmented by the fact that the party is in talks with others with a view to share resources.

It is also from the horse's mouth that "the party is small in size and fairly poor financially".

You don't represent the 3 million Singaporeans. So please don't speak like a kingmaker pre-judging and pronouncing the abilities of Justin, Tony or James. What will be utmost in the voters' mind is: Justin who? Tony who? and James who?

One strange phenomenon is whenever someone wears an opposition badge, he suddenly becomes larger than life. But even more strange is that you have ironically left out the party's Chairman, who has at least gone through one baptism of fire.

Btw, have you read today's paper?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If 30 is considered big, I truly feel sorry for the opposition, which was my point. Not all 30 are candidates. As indirectly noted by you, some have to play the role of foot soldiers.

That's probably the numbers the opposition have. Counting the truly active members which is a more valid way of counting, I don't think RP has 30 and the whole opposition minus the RP probably doesn't look like it has more than 100.

But I don't feel sorry for the opposition. I think I feel more sorry for Singaporeans. After all, the opposition as a whole and the PAP are a part of Singapore, not by themselves. If 99% of passengers in a boat choose to stand on one corner of it, the ship will just overturn and sink.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I am not commenting as "Kingmakers", so to speak, just commenting on what I saw yesterday. What meant as "upcoming leaders" was RP's next generation of leaders, not necessarily leaders of Singapore.

30 candidates from one party? Frankly speaking, that is hard to come by even for WP if we are talking about credible and quality candidates. Even for WP back in 2006 which has a strength of 500, could only come up with 20 candidates. Of course, if you want to, you can get lots of candidates but the qualities would be in doubt.

Finances wise, it is the least problem. The main problem lies with quality candidates. RP does have an advantage in the coming elections in that sense.

Apart from WP, all other opposition parties are small in size. This is a well known fact. However, it is about the growth path. SDP is growing, so is RP.

Politics is a long term process. If RP could not find enough people by next elections, so be it. Just do whatever they can with whatever limited resources they have. If Singaporeans are unwilling to join, there is nothing we could do.

For James Teo, I know him in person. Thus maybe I have a more in depth understanding than you as a commenter. Well, for Justin and Tony, they have given the speeches during the dinner. If a politician could not make quick preliminary judgment of a person by observing him or her during the speeches, then I would have failed pretty badly. This is another form of information I have other than some "publicly known information" that you depend on. As far as I am concerned, I based my judgment on whatever information that comes into my knowledge, not merely depends on public information, least on SPH.

As for Edmund Ng, I did not see him during the dinner, thus no comment. Well, please don't ask me why the Chairman of the party is not present for the party's dinner, I really don't know.

Goh Meng Seng

Obviously, you and I are not members of RP. So do not speak like one. A commentator should make fair comments based on available public information.

It is from the horse's mouth that there are only 30, and the party hope to recruit another 60 over the next 1 year. Again, based on public information (ERC report and Budget), I made a calculated guess on the timing of the election and hence felt that the party won't have the time to do so. This is augmented by the fact that the party is in talks with others with a view to share resources.

It is also from the horse's mouth that "the party is small in size and fairly poor financially".

You don't represent the 3 million Singaporeans. So please don't speak like a kingmaker pre-judging and pronouncing the abilities of Justin, Tony or James. What will be utmost in the voters' mind is: Justin who? Tony who? and James who?

One strange phenomenon is whenever someone wears an opposition badge, he suddenly becomes larger than life. But even more strange is that you have ironically left out the party's Chairman, who has at least gone through one baptism of fire.

Btw, have you read today's paper?