• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The RETIREMENT thread

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
KNN if per capita min $2 mil then no working class can retire in sg KNN

The figure I have provided applies to Singapore, Australia, NZ, Canada, USA etc. If you move to a 3rd world country your money will go much further. If you want to live in Monaco then you might need a bit more.

Ultimately how much you need depends upon the lifestyle you are used to. You can easily work things out based upon a 4% yield. Just work the figure backwards.

EG if you need $100,000 per year then your assets need to yield that amount based upon the 4% guideline.

Every $1 million gives you $40,000 yield per year so for $100,000 you'll need $2.5 million in assets yielding 4%,

When you approach your late 60s you can then consider spending a portion of your principal if you want to live life to the fullest.

rushifa666

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dummies only start tolearn how to make money whe they want to retire. Its too late by the friend. You were dumb enough to think working alone is good enough. Warren Buffett — 'If you don't find a way to make money while you sleep, you will work until you die.'

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ultimately how much you need depends upon the lifestyle you are used to. You can easily work things out based upon a 4% yield. Just work the figure backwards.
KNN Thanks for your opinion KNN since my uncle lead a very humble life he shall take your guide and divide 2 and take $1mil as a baseline KNN another 1 yr my uncle can retire before turning 55 KNN

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The figure I have provided applies to Singapore, Australia, NZ, Canada, USA etc. If you move to a 3rd world country your money will go much further. If you want to live in Monaco then you might need a bit more.

EG if you need $100,000 per year then your assets need to yield that amount based upon the 4% guideline.

Every $1 million gives you $40,000 yield per year so for $100,000 you'll need $2.5 million in assets yielding 4%,

When you approach your late 60s you can then consider spending a portion of your principal if you want to live life to the fullest.

Datingafter35

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know this is stupid. But anyone read Tony Robbins money, master the game?
I'm in my 40s now planning to build my retirement fund after a divorce, lost of house and business collapse.
I'm planning to park in US indices and STI and maybe gold.
But I think I miss up on the big run. Should I go in for short term optimiSm?
I've parked some in sgs.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I'm in my 40s now planning to build my retirement fund after a divorce, lost of house and business collapse.
I've parked some in sgs.

Have not read that one. I'll give it a go.

glnit

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've parked some in sgs.

Don't miss it. Take a look at inverse ETFs for the next two years. Big run south is coming again. Be agile. Know where and how to hit the emergency button when indicators start flashing red. Switching from short to long to cash - keeping our powder dry - and back to either positions should be practiced until it comes naturally.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
We all have a pre planned budget throughout our working lives too. We can't spend more than we earn.

Retirement is exactly the same.

In retirement, in order to do all the things you like, you have to forgo a large part or even all of your previous income.

That makes budgeting a challenge.

This is compounded by taking up expensive hobbies. I've acquired an interest in building gaming rigs.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
In retirement, in order to do all the things you like, you have to forgo a large part or even all of your previous income.

That makes budgeting a challenge.

This is compounded by taking up expensive hobbies. I've acquired an interest in building gaming rigs.

If you have to take a huge reduction in your monthly expenditure it means you have not accumulated sufficient assets to retire.

I structured my assets so that they gave me the same standard of living after I stopped earning a regular income and it has worked out fine so far.

In the latter part of your retirement you can actually start spending a portion of your capital every year as you do not want to kick the bucket and leave behind the best part of your wealth to some undeserving bastard.

jw5

Loyal
Absolutely agree and I am with you on this. :thumbsup:

If you have to take a huge reduction in your monthly expenditure it means you have not accumulated sufficient assets to retire.

I structured my assets so that they gave me the same standard of living after I stopped earning a regular income and it has worked out fine so far.

In the latter part of your retirement you can actually start spending a portion of your capital every year as you do not want to kick the bucket and leave behind the best part of your wealth to some undeserving bastard.

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal

"undeserving bastard" is refer to your kids, younger relatives or anyone else ? :biggrin:

Bad New Brown

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone who is undeserving related or unrelated. :smile:

Thanks Boss,

My views is that retirement is the word that the farking employers hate most and I prefer to call it "war chest". And I had been building up my cash savings towards long tough life journey with only frugal living and no expensive hobby :biggrin:

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi anyone ! Is a sinkie uncle at 50 years old ready for retirement if he has sgd2k to spend monthly per head for the next 35 years I.e 2000x12x35= $840k without factoring in interest & inflation ? KNN