• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

The Reform Party's Free Legal Clinic

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow..very good leh..

The Reform Party Sets Up Free Legal Clinic
Written by Administrator
Monday, 01 February 2010 17:49
The Reform Party is pleased to announce that it has set up a Free Legal Clinic to provide free legal advice by qualified lawyers.

For Whom?

This is a public service for Singapore Citizens who cannot afford to pay for legal advice. You do not need to be a member of the Reform Party to obtain the free legal advice from the RP Legal Clinic.

When?

The RP Legal Clinic will run on the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month from 7pm to 9pm concurrently with the RP’s Thursday Open House. On days when there is no Open House, the RP Legal Clinic will also not be available.

Where?

Consultations will be held at the Reform Party’s premises at 18A Smith Street Singapore 058932.

Areas of Advice

Please note that the Clinic does not provide legal advice relating to Criminal Offences and Business Law.

How to Register?

Click here to register online for a consultation at the Legal Clinic or email [email protected] .

You may also walk in for consultation, but priority will be given to those who register for a consultation beforehand.

For inquiries, please phone 65349641 or email to: [email protected]

The first session of the RP Legal Clinic will be held on Thursday 11 February 2010. The next session will be held on Thursday 25 February 2010. Kindly refer to the Reform Party’s website for updates.

Released by Kenneth Jeyaretnam on behalf of the Reform Party, January 25th 2010

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The RP has been providing creative services. One of the only parties with a open house and now this new is a good move. However it needs to pay more attention to the reliability of services. Over half of its open houses are cancelled and moreover the day itself. If the same happens to the legal clinic it might affect reliability perceptions.

Many people do need legal advice, hope the RP can score here.

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unlike WP who has 14 cec members that enable to work up a timetable for open house duty officers, RP has only 5, based on their website shown. I understand in WP, it's a norm for duty officers "swap" the duty one another due to work and family commitments. I've not even included those WP cec members who are working abroad. In light of this, it's understandable if over half of RP's open house are cancelled. I supposed if WP has only 5 cec members, perhaps 3/4 of its open house are cancelled, if 2 out of 5 are working abroad.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't quite get what the comparison is trying to arrive at but on the primary point, I understand RP has 2 open houses a week not one. They're now offering legal services for both. In that sense it might be an overstretch. Some companies take the approach of announcing 10 things then deliver one for the purpose of goal setting. In any case it's not an inherent flaw but might show up as a nasty wart for a ruling party.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have to agree with Perspective on this one. It's not about how many CEC members available. It's about delivering what one promises that politically matters in view of voters. Promising this and that, then say don't blame us, members not enough, that'll go down as miscalculation or empty promises and excuses to the masses.

Anyway, I applaud and wish the RP Free Legal Clinic well. Perhaps Kenneth's broth Philip may even be involved there. That'd be nice. Former Law Society President.

sinren67

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree with Perspective on this one. It's not about how many CEC members available. It's about delivering what one promises that politically matters in view of voters. Promising this and that, then say don't blame us, members not enough, that'll go down as miscalculation or empty promises and excuses to the masses.

Anyway, I applaud and wish the RP Free Legal Clinic well. Perhaps Kenneth's broth Philip may even be involved there. That'd be nice. Former Law Society President.

I agree with you and Perspective in term of promises made. Having been there only once and it's opened without informing them, i'm not too sure how frequent they cancel their open house. Hope RP can enable to recruit more good men and women so as to improve their consistency. Afterall, all have good intention to deliver which promises made.

Hawkeye1819

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Agree.

If you have manpower constraints, it is better to underpromise and then overdeliver, rather than overpromise and then underdeliver.

I'm surprised WP has not set up a free legal clinic before. Didn't Sylvia say they have no problems finding lawyers?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I base my opinion on their Facebook which contain several notices of cancellations and a couple of complaints including one Bryan T (who I can't figure out whose side he's on - maybe really a neutral).

But you may be right that it is a minority of times. Maybe I was too quick to do a mental estimate and ass-ume that it was most of the times.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm surprised WP has not set up a free legal clinic before. Didn't Sylvia say they have no problems finding lawyers?

Maybe WP is handicap with lack of lawyers members. It is after all a Workers' Party. :smile: Hiring lawyers is different case, they are not members.

One opposition party having this is good enough to boost the opposition image. As Scroobal said it. Therefore I feel unnecessary to look and say why WP, SDP, NSP, SDA etc. don't have it. Even the PAP does not have it (which is even stranger, and no open houses either).

We all know there are many opposition parties. As long as each provides its asset, it is a boost. Eg. RP provides the elites (not that they are not important to the cause). NSP provides the entrepreneurs. WP provides the womenpower, SDP provides the minorities. SDA, the Malays.

Now I'm referring to the above as strongest assets - does not mean the rest do have what another has.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe WP is handicap with lack of lawyers members. It is after all a Workers' Party. :smile: Hiring lawyers is different case, they are not members.

One opposition party having this is good enough to boost the opposition image. As Scroobal said it. Therefore I feel unnecessary to look and say why WP, SDP, NSP, SDA etc. don't have it. Even the PAP does not have it (which is even stranger, and no open houses either).

We all know there are many opposition parties. As long as each provides its asset, it is a boost. Eg. RP provides the elites (not that they are not important to the cause). NSP provides the entrepreneurs. WP provides the womenpower, SDP provides the minorities. SDA, the Malays.

Now I'm referring to the above as strongest assets - does not mean the rest do have what another has.

Each party have their core competencies.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Three score moons or so ago, Locke suggested tuition clinic for WP and promised $xxK donation to fund it. Fortunately, WP didn't believe him and announce it.